Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Anyone who uses dopey slogans like "punch down" has about as much original thought as a doll with a cord

It's a new one on me. What does it mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Diceicle wrote: »
    What is the reluctance by all major parties to tackle the bloated social welfare system?
    Do lifelong dolies vote on a consistent basis? I wouldn't have thought so but maybe I'm wrong.

I would have thought, that if wegot the real Leo, the Libertarian Leo; not the Trudeau wannabe version - that he would have peared the welfare bonanza right back. Maybe even put a cap on total welfare claimable by an individual. I can't see many of the working class / squeezed middle being against those moves.

On the other hand it could be argued that:-
    a) we dont have the centralized system to implement a welfare cap (National ID card where are you?)
    b) the real FG voter, the landlord / drone class, have monetized the welfare state for their own gains - through the likes of HAP etc.

Any politician or party who pledged to get tough on welfare culture would face the wrath of the media

The worst thing you can be accused of in Ireland is being "right wing"

Damien360 wrote: »

It means you can't ever criticise someone if they fit a "vulnerable" profile as designated by the left

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What is the reluctance by all major parties to tackle the bloated social welfare system?
    Do lifelong dolies vote on a consistent basis? I wouldn't have thought so but maybe I'm wrong.

I would have thought, that if wegot the real Leo, the Libertarian Leo; not the Trudeau wannabe version - that he would have peared the welfare bonanza right back. Maybe even put a cap on total welfare claimable by an individual. I can't see many of the working class / squeezed middle being against those moves.

a) we dont have the centralized system to implement a welfare cap (National ID card where are you?)
    b) the real FG voter, the landlord / drone class, have monetized the welfare state for their own gains - through the likes of HAP etc.

I said on another thread, I cannot wait to see this years budget and another poster nailed it, when he basically said "they wont be able to just ingore these big issues and just throw money at the pensioners every budget from now on" nailed it. You could rise welfare a hundred a week one budget and try cut it by a euro the next and you'd be called a heartless, far right, nazi b*stard! If they dont have the balls to cut it, it needs to be frozen for years, the money desperately needs to be spent in other areas, that are starved of it, not that immoral, black hole and the povery trap it creates here (the biggest one, being the social housing)...

Any politician or party who pledged to get tough on welfare culture would face the wrath of the media

again nailed it and I posted this on another thread earlier, you cant solve the problems here without getting your hands dirty. Nobody is prepared too. I think its why FG would prefer opposition, one of the reason at least... you just cant keep all of the people happy, all of the time. the idiots lost seats and power, because they didnt do enough for many of the people that voted for them previously, while bending over backwards for the likes of margaret cash and co! its unbelievable. Look, the media tried to destroy SF this election and all it did, was increase their support. To hell with the media, but it would take someone with balls to do the right thing here, I will admit that. We dont have it... Certainly not with FFG. MMLD has more balls than the two muppets combined, which is why it would be interesting to see, what she would do. She doesnt have the sweetheart deals etc and clingers on either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You know you can cut welfare and be hard nosed without being a "Nazi". You can be tough on entitled people irrespective of where they are from or who they pray to. I say, be an equal opportunity pr*ck, it's only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Agreed, but I would think most people would see through that argument.
    For example - FG get in an say they're capping all benefits for an individual at €25,000 (or 30k or whatever - something near enough to the basic wage).
    Its hard to argue against it at a base level I think - unless Matt Cooper etc are going to argue its ok to 'earn' the equivalent of 60k whilst sitting on your hole.

You know you can cut welfare and be hard nosed without being a "Nazi". You can be tough on entitled people irrespective of where they are from or who they pray to. I say, be an equal opportunity pr*ck, it's only fair.

they have just created a totally fcuked system, where its just so much easier, to hold the hand out. I dont blame those doing that, they are being facilitated , encouraged and its multi generational for them. It would be like a kid with rich parents not going to a posh school and going to third level etc and going on a lifestyle of welfare. A lot of it is down to chance... The problem is, our system just encourages dependency, its an absolute disgrace and a system engineered by morons, looking to buy votes and to hell with the moral or societal conseqeunces :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

DaraDali wrote: »
    Do they have this system in the UK ? I remember seeing something before on a Uk TV show, where if I present myself as homeless in "Example" Dublin, they can offer me housing in south west Kerry and if I refuse they discharge their care of me.

Why can't we have a system where we build houses in rural areas?
    Because Ireland has almost zero public transportation whereas the UK has a bus stop down every street multiple times and railways in most large towns

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My contacts in the DA office in Longford tell me that TDs ring in to hurry them up to get people onto DA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Anyone who uses dopey slogans like "punch down" has about as much original thought as a doll with a cord

Pretty much sums you up all the same though doesn't it,this place is just an echo chamber for you guys,does it not get boring just listening to what you want to hear and if anything strays away from your narrow mindset the insults come out like a child.

Punching down is exactly what about 90% of the posters here do because they are overtaxed and under-payed,most of you will only punch down on boards and scared witless dare some of the great unwashed moved beside you and terrorize you.You will move house and home before you stand up for yourselves and then come on boards and tar a whole section of society because some scumbag give you a little fright out in the real world.

Not hard to tell life isn't great for you at the moment,its not great for a lot of Irish people right now,the government lets crime run rampant to keep everyone in check,our media writes about "Mr Big" the drug dealer or some other flattering name like he is some kind of mastermind,when in reality hes often a dim witted kid in his early 20s.But you keep tarring all the underclass with the same brush and bang on to each other in your echo chamber i will let you at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Pretty much sums you up all the same though doesn't it,this place is just an echo chamber for you guys,does it not get boring just listening to what you want to hear and if anything strays away from your narrow mindset the insults come out like a child.

Punching down is exactly what about 90% of the posters here do because they are overtaxed and under-payed,most of you will only punch down on boards and scared witless dare some of the great unwashed moved beside you and terrorize you.You will move house and home before you stand up for yourselves and then come on boards and tar a whole section of society because some scumbag give you a little fright out in the real world.

Not hard to tell life isn't great for you at the moment,its not great for a lot of Irish people right now,the government lets crime run rampant to keep everyone in check,our media writes about "Mr Big" the drug dealer or some other flattering name like he is some kind of mastermind,when in reality hes often a dim witted kid in his early 20s.But you keep tarring all the underclass with the same brush and bang on to each other in your echo chamber i will let you at it.

Ok, that's just random

The conversation is pretty focused on what seems to be the issue with Social Welfare and how entire families are living on the dole and expect their children too to be taken care the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Geuze wrote: »
    My contacts in the DA office in Longford tell me that TDs ring in to hurry them up to get people onto DA.

Not that it does much good it can and does regularly take 12 months to get .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Damien360 wrote: »

QMOI.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Jizique

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Because Ireland has almost zero public transportation whereas the UK has a bus stop down every street multiple times and railways in most large towns

You obviously have never seen the rail fares in the UK - and I suspect the UK does not give a free travel pass to everyone who thinks they deserve one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

Jizique wrote: »
    You obviously have never seen the rail fares in the UK - and I suspect the UK does not give a free travel pass to everyone who thinks they deserve one

Having it would be a good first start.

Currently in the north of England so I can say you are wrong also (Not about the cost, to be clear). I remember being taken a bit aback the Christmas before last when we went to a town about 20 minutes away, but I don't drive so what's the option other than not go? I can treat myself with short travels from time to time, it's okay, the trip costs what it costs. Like when I lived in Cobh the train to Cork cost a bit but it's very handy to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

As long as the likes of Margaret Cash and Erica Fleming are fawned over by RTE and given a platform to talk sh1te then nothing will change, others will see that they got the result they wanted by shouting loudest while working people have to scrimp and save to buy their own place.

Social housing should be for folks with jobs who need a helping hand to get on the property ladder but the idea of having to share an estate with dole lifers who will contribute nothing from cradle to grave is ridiculous when their neighbours have 30 year mortgages for the same house.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

As long as the likes of Margaret Cash and Erica Fleming are fawned over by RTE and given a platform to talk sh1te then nothing will change, others will see that they got the result they wanted by shouting loudest while working people have to scrimp and save to buy their own place.

Social housing should be for folks with jobs who need a helping hand to get on the property ladder but the idea of having to share an estate with dole lifers who will contribute nothing from cradle to grave is ridiculous when their neighbours have 30 year mortgages for the same house.

Erica Fleming cannot be placed in the same catagory as Margaret Cash. Erica worked while homeless and also studied to further herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Political correctness

nothing to do with political correctness, rather it's to do with removing classism and self-entitlement, and instilling the correct belief and fact that buying property is a gamble, for which one must deal with possible losses as well as everything else, and that one is not entitled to greater standing in society because they have a mortgage or fully own property.
    A situation where only those who pay a mortgage get to live in a private estate is "exclusionary"

it's also a perfect example of the classism and self-entitlement i mentioned above.

Conditioning by an exclusively left wing media

Mother state must do all for us

actually it's not as the media is a mix of left, right and everything in between wing.
    It's never a good idea to benchmark against the very worst situation

I'd prefer have Islamic state members for neighbours than travellers

islamic state members would kill you just for existing and breathing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Augeo wrote: »
    Wasters like this SF promise to house, they can fnck off IMO & stay on a housing list. Genuine cases suffer over these leeches.

that's fine as long as you are willing to continue to pay the hotel bill, which i suspect will be the continued accommodation for said people while they would remain on the list.

the simple reason is that the wellfare bill isn't bloated in reality. it might look as if it is, but when one looks at all of the things it includes, things we may benefit from, and will benefit from in time, it's not so bloated.
    + wellfare caps, while they sound good and look good and are populist, they don't seem to actually work in reality.
    i would have no doubt the wellfare system is being monitised by some land lords and hotels and others and that is an issue in itself that needs to be dealt with, which is why social and affordable housing is the way to go.
    /\/ollog wrote: »

true more or less, however there are large parts of the uk without any such transport.
    outside london buses are deregulated which means they could be gone overnight effectively. there are council subsidized bus services in some areas but plenty of those have been cut or withdrawn and i would suspect more will be so as time goes on.

it's not ridiculous. it's the market and the gamble of buying property, that someone may get a better deal on the same house.
    social housing is for those who are unable to afford to house themselves. affordable housing are for those who wish to buy or who can pay a higher rent but not market rates.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Agreed, but I would think most people would see through that argument.
    For example - FG get in an say they're capping all benefits for an individual at €25,000 (or 30k or whatever - something near enough to the basic wage).
    Its hard to argue against it at a base level I think - unless Matt Cooper etc are going to argue its ok to 'earn' the equivalent of 60k whilst sitting on your hole.

Most people don't have the power of the media tribe, most people have no time for travellers, the media do however so travellers receive special treatment and get a pass for the kind of thing regular people would be up in court for, as a consequence we see absurd situations where politicians claim with a straight face that they would happily live beside a halting site

Politicians are far more afraid of what the media think than middle Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Listening to Niamh Horan on Claire Byrne moan about people having to commute and them not building upwards in Dublin city centre.

It is the Sinn Fein dominated DCC which is blocking high rise on behalf of jacinta and co! Nothing to do with FG. Thick as a plank that woman.

Listening to Niamh Horan on Claire Byrne moan about people having to commute and them not building upwards in Dublin city centre.

It is the Sinn Fein dominated DCC which is blocking high rise on behalf of jacinta and co! Nothing to do with FG. Thick as a plank that woman.

it is obscene when you think about it! Basically even in the docklands, there are cottages and they want to stop thousands of people living there, because a few people live across the road? the societal cost is simply way too huge and morally corrupt, to tolerate this bull**** anymore and the absolute irony that many of these living in the most central location in the city, are in social houses, paid for by the people who have a miserable commute in, on a crap transport system, living in kips for a fortune, paying a scandalous rate of marginal tax. I'd say the sight of office blocks going up must be horrendous for some of the docklands residents, the sight of where people actually go to work, must be horrendous!

There is now so much money needed to go around and its also costing the economy serious money, by curtailing development, tourism, attracting more investment, no housing available or rip off housing, is having an effect on companies locating and operating here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Exactly any cottages near train stations in central Dublin should be CPOd and tower blocks put in.

Same should be done with those huge houses by Sydney Parade. 100,000 people could live there.

If the owners of the cottages don't like it buy them off. If the owners is Sydney Parade don't like it execute them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

So all of these houses are going to be social or council. That knocks fifty grand off the price of my house around the corner so. Ffs

I should start another protest in front of their protest. Give the houses to people who pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I should start another protest in front of their protest. Give the houses to people who pay for them.

Its disgraceful, social houses should never be built, not only should these houses be only sold privately, but other major infrastructure should also be built in the area, just so the value of your house be increased even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Its disgraceful, social houses should never be built, not only should these houses be only sold privately, but other major infrastructure should also be built in the area, just so the value of your house be increased even more.

The thing is, the area around mulhuddart has alot of high skilled high paying jobs in the tech and pharma industries. Meaning that by promoting the place a a good area to live would bring that workforce here, reducing the commute from other areas.

Social housing will do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

alastair wrote: »
    Assuming their claim is approved. And most are not.

The appeals system is endless, that's the crux of the issue, our EU overlords would have any final say in the ECHR and i have no doubt it would get that far. This place is a safe heaven but the most westerly in Europe, there are many countries to pass through before ours.

• Advertisement

is it incredible? i dont think so. the government create a housing crisis, many people even if working are screwed, of course you have the scroungers here too. In this country, its those that shout the loudest that get what they want!

Advertisement