Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If the tenant is on welfare the rebt is free, its just like the government paying for the whole thing with an extra step, except a lot of the time the tenants dont pass on that money turning having a council house into a profit for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Jizique wrote: »
    You obviously have never seen the rail fares in the UK - and I suspect the UK does not give a free travel pass to everyone who thinks they deserve one

Also Boris has just announced billions in investment in bus services outside London, so it hasn't been as today as people think.

There are constant articles in the UK ltd about their housing crisis and even the much lauded NHS had numerous complaints about winter trolleys and Lonny waits for access to a GP.

People who think we have things so bad here need to get a bit of perspective and have a look around other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Idbatterim wrote: »
    is it incredible? i dont think so. the government create a housing crisis, many people even if working are screwed, of course you have the scroungers here too. In this country, its those that shout the loudest that get what they want!

our political institutions have only played a part in the creation of our housing issues, but a significant one, many entities are at play here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Also Boris has just announced billions in investment in bus services outside London, so it hasn't been as today as people think.

There are constant articles in the UK ltd about their housing crisis and even the much lauded NHS had numerous complaints about winter trolleys and Lonny waits for access to a GP.

People who think we have things so bad here need to get a bit of perspective and have a look around other countries.
    UK has it worse,,, housing applicants sometime have to move up to 100 miles away from their original home location

UK has it worse,,, housing applicants sometime have to move up to 100 miles away from their original home location

We should also be doing that

Jacinta “im applying for dundrum”
    Housing office “athlone it is”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If the tenant is on welfare the rebt is free, its just like the government paying for the whole thing with an extra step, except a lot of the time the tenants dont pass on that money turning having a council house into a profit for themselves

it's not free, it's subsidized.
    they are obligated to pay it, if they are not paying it then the council have remedies available and it is up to them to use them.

why should we be doing the same exactly? to facilitate the same self-entitlement some people crib a bout when it comes to wellfare dependants, but hold themselves? the self-entitlement that they should only have to mix with their own kind?
    i presume you will be happy for possibly increased taxes to pay for it? pay for whatever support infrastructure that would be needed to facilitate shoving people hundreds of miles away, but without creating ghettoes and the need for large scale regeneration down the line like we had last time we just shoved people somewhere and shur itl be grand begorra.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

it's not free, it's subsidized.
    they are obligated to pay it, if they are not paying it then the council have remedies available and it is up to them to use them.

why should we be doing the same exactly? to facilitate the same self-entitlement some people crib a bout when it comes to wellfare dependants, but hold themselves? the self-entitlement that they should only have to mix with their own kind?
    i presume you will be happy for possibly increased taxes to pay for it? pay for whatever support infrastructure that would be needed to facilitate shoving people hundreds of miles away, but without creating ghettoes and the need for large scale regeneration down the line like we had last time we just shoved people somewhere and shur itl be grand begorra.

Dublin land should be freed up for privately owned housing , in addition the idea that you cant squirt out some kids and get a house near mammy in dublin would make the next generation think twice before relying on the welfare.

The rural publicans and off licence owners would he thrilled with the re located tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

smurgen wrote: »
    I'm starting to tire of boards immensely.there seems to be a real darkness after coming into it in the last year or two.the hatred I'm seeing here is worse than twitter and on par with the daily mail comments section.i do not want to be in an echo chamber and I do love challenging views that make me think differently but some of the stuff in here is just pure hatred.

100% agree. Its basically 4chan with a group of mods holding it barely together.

Its not fun anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Listening to Niamh Horan on Claire Byrne moan about people having to commute and them not building upwards in Dublin city centre.

It is the Sinn Fein dominated DCC which is blocking high rise on behalf of jacinta and co! Nothing to do with FG. Thick as a plank that woman.

The council's get away with murder

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The builders and the local authorities should remove the tent and the gardai should help keep the site from being blocked .

Allowing a bunch of nunpty racists to stop a much needed development is sickening , guarantee they are looking at being bumped up the list and moved into the new development , anyone involved should be removed from any housing list too

• Advertisement

Dublin land should be freed up for privately owned housing

why should dublin land be freed up for privately owned housing? what gives someone who lives in privately owned housing more of a right to live in dublin then someone else? or go a bit further, someone not born in dublin who privately owns a house more right then someone who was born in dublin but happens to live in social housing?
    as i have said before, owning a house does not give you more standing or entitlement in society, property ownership is a choice and a want, not an absolute right.
    in addition the idea that you cant squirt out some kids and get a house near mammy in dublin would make the next generation think twice before relying on the welfare.

really? i somehow doubt that.
    you know why? people have children in all sorts of circumstances regardless of whatever nonsense policies the government try to implement to stop them.
    The rural publicans and off licence owners would he thrilled with the re located tenants

yeah, sure.
    even though that may be the case, i don't believe for one second that you and others are actually bothered in reality about local publicans and off license owners. it's just a hunch i have that i find very hard to shift for some reason, no matter how much i have tried.
    and again, the suggestion that everyone on wellfare is either an alcoholic or something else.
    you still didn't answer the major question however, how much are you willing to pay to make this happen, how much will you investe in these places to make it happen, how much supporting infrastructure will you implement to make this work? remember it's not the 1960s anymore, simply throwing people into an area and hoping for the best won't work as we have already learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just wondered if someone knows why housing allocation is centred on the Local Authority where the applicant lives. Surely this stifles movement of people to other areas outside of the four Dublin Council areas? I'm not too familiar with the system but this sounds daft to me.

I could be wrong, but if I live in Dublin and would be willing to take a house anywhere in the country that for example has a decent link to home place like a train or that, I can only apply for housing in Dublin?

Now I hold my hand up and say I could be totally wrong about this. But if it is true, surely there should be a nationwide housing allocation authority. Maybe that is the case. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Pity the poor child named Jacinta

Multiple posters use her name as a welfare lifer

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Just wondered if someone knows why housing allocation is centred on the Local Authority where the applicant lives. Surely this stifles movement of people to other areas outside of the four Dublin Council areas? I'm not too familiar with the system but this sounds daft to me.

I could be wrong, but if I live in Dublin and would be willing to take a house anywhere in the country that for example has a decent link to home place like a train or that, I can only apply for housing in Dublin?

Now I hold my hand up and say I could be totally wrong about this. But if it is true, surely there should be a nationwide housing allocation authority. Maybe that is the case. I dunno.

It's not the case. You can only be on one local authority housing list. I agree there should be a nationwide database for people willing to move out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

LorelaiG wrote: »
    It's not the case. You can only be on one local authority housing list. I agree there should be a nationwide database for people willing to move out of Dublin.

In parts of the UK especially London the council can source properties all over the UK ,and unless you a specific need to based in Central London you can be offered a home in other cities and if you say no I'm not taking it your discharged from their duty of care and it's up to you to self accommodate

A Nationwide Database of available properties is desperately needed now. If you are homeless and have no job and X no of kids and are a single parent, sure wouldn't you go to a nice town with transport links to protect yourself and your children.

Why are Councils separately organised re housing? Surely it would make more sense to have a nationwide option for people. Many of whom may have connections with other places too.

I do realise that low earners who cannot afford a mortgage should be given priority for Social Housing in the cities. We all need them.

100% agree. Its basically 4chan with a group of mods holding it barely together.

Its not fun anymore.

It is very easy to close your account if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Gatling wrote: »
    In parts of the UK especially London the council can source properties all over the UK ,and unless you a specific need to based in Central London you can be offered a home in other cities and if you say no I'm not taking it your discharged from their duty of care and it's up to you to self accommodate

I don't think the UK can be held up as an example of best practise.

RustyNut wrote: »

Perhaps they can be tough, but are fair to the taxpayer at the same time.

If you cannot afford to house yourself, you really cannot be picky. But that is what is happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

RustyNut wrote: »

It's been my experience that that argument is used by those who don't like what the UK is doing in a particular area, usually for some selfish reason. It gets used a lot. The UK does a lot of things better than we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Perhaps they can be tough, but are fair to the taxpayer at the same time.

If you cannot afford to house yourself, you really cannot be picky. But that is what is happening now.

People in council houses are taxpayers.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    People in council houses are taxpayers.

I know, they pay VAT on certain things (if not working), but in general they are not working and have multiple kids with mother on her own and get top of the list. Do they pay LPT, no. Just for starters.

Chancers.

Are you dense or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

“While international experience has been that hostility to immigrants has increased where there are inadequate public services, including housing, my sense is that there hasn’t been a significant grassroots mobilisation against immigration in Ireland.
    they have named their group “House the Irish First” while insisting the protest “has nothing to do with racism”
    Ms Woods, adding t the current dearth of housing “stokes racism . . . it makes you bitter
    Stoking racism to get a house. A new low for the entitled!
    The protesters want half the social houses built in Ladyswell reserved for Mulhuddart households on Fingal County Council’s housing list, and the other half to be available to the wider council list.
    She can either buy a place there, or fcuk off 550miles down the road and take what is given to them! Many people can only afford a house 25 miles away from Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The protesters see themselves as policy makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

The people mentioned in the OP are quite brave to raise this really.

No one is allowed to question anything like this anymore, so naturally it will be an issue, rightly or wrongly and will bubble to the surface eventually.

Councils need to be transparent regarding their allocation of Social housing IMO.

There's one part of this post that I do agree with, the system regarding the allocation of social housing needs to be more transparent so the councils are held accountable.

At the moment, it's all rumour and conjecture about how people get placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Maggie Cash.

Making a fool of yourself there because even she didn't get accommodation in two weeks. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I see a similarity here.
    Between the squeezed middle class who queue up for a couple of days in the hope of putting their hard earned money on a new house off the plans.
    And those protesters who shack up outside the building site in a tent. Sure they're just trying to get her name down for one of those FREE houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Exactly, it's just an hour down the road with multiple buses going back and forth daily if they want to come up to Dublin to see how mammy is doing.

Council officals must be drained after a day listening to whinging from scroungers.

Exactly, it's just an hour down the road with multiple buses going back and forth daily if they want to come up to Dublin to see how mammy is doing.

Council officals must be drained after a day listening to whinging from scroungers.

it isn't just scroungers on the wellfare of course.
    also, why as a tax payer should i have to pay for whatever buses that are subsidized, to go back and forward all day from athlone so someone on the wellfare can go to dublin to see their mother when they could stay in dublin, and the buses could be used to transport people who want to live in athlone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I know, they pay VAT on certain things (if not working), but in general they are not working and have multiple kids with mother on her own and get top of the list. Do they pay LPT, no. Just for starters.

Chancers.

Are you dense or what.

Hi. No I'm not dense don't see why you have to insult me I live in a council estate and bar one or two skangers everyone else works. I'm even married imagine that.

Advertisement