Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

it isn't just scroungers on the wellfare of course.
    also, why as a tax payer should i have to pay for whatever buses that are subsidized, to go back and forward all day from athlone so someone on the wellfare can go to dublin to see their mother when they could stay in dublin, and the buses could be used to transport people who want to live in athlone?

What are you even talking about?

I never said they should be on subsidized buses!

Let them pay for it themselves it's only a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

The protesters want half of the houses to be given to Irish people. Is that such a bizarre request? Why on Earth are we housing non Nationals with no links to the area whatsoever in the dearest parts of the country?
    Non Irish in social housing, hap, cluid etc must be costing the taxpayer billions at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

enricoh wrote: »
    The protesters want half of the houses to be given to Irish people. Is that such a bizarre request? Why on Earth are we housing non Nationals with no links to the area whatsoever in the dearest parts of the country?
    Non Irish in social housing, hap, cluid etc must be costing the taxpayer billions at this stage.

very valid point ! here is another one, why the hell are we housing Irish people, who have never contributed a cent to this state, over working poor irish people?

take a read of this insane bull**** and no, its not April 1st, I assure you!

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sleepout-to-be-held-outside-south-dublin-co-co-to-protest-rise-in-council-housing-rents-977430.html
    A sleepout will take place outside the offices of South Dublin County Council calling on representatives to reverse a decision to raise rents for council housing tenants.

The proposal to raise the rent by €3 a week across the board was passed in November last year.

The demonstration is being held to highlight what they feel to be the local authority's lack of urgency on tackling the housing crisis.

Patrick Nelis, a member of the South West Dublin Housing Action, says the increase is "cruel".

"The budget was proposed by the Chief Executive and supported by the ruling alliance of Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil, the Green Party and two Independents," said Mr Nelis.

"It includes a rent increase of €3 per week on all council tenant households and we are doing this because the increase is cruel."

Mr Nelis said that the fact it doesn't take people's income into account is very unfair.

"The council can't attack the most vulnerable in our society so we are urging the council to reverse the decision on raising the rent.

"We deal with some of these families and individuals who are struggling with bills and food.

"This is going to be another struggle to add to what these families cannot afford."

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Niall boylan discussing this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's a few euro that they got from my taxes, so i'm ultimately paying for it.
    why should i pay them money to pay for their bus fare to travel on buses when they could stay in dublin?
    surely you would be very much against this? it's more or less similar to what you are complaining about is it not? your money paying for them to do whatever?
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    very valid point ! here is another one, why the hell are we housing Irish people, who have never contributed a cent to this state, over working poor irish people?

we aren't.
    people are prioritised on the basis of certain criteria.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

LorelaiG wrote: »

Only media person in Ireland with the balls to call out wasters and spongers in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

Two things you wont see in Ireland are

1. A black homeless person and 2. A Chinese man on the dole!

There are Chinese people on the dole, few though. There’s a homeless black person on the quays just before ormond quay (old aib building) so both your assertions are incorrect

why should i pay them money to pay for their bus fare to travel on buses when they could stay in dublin?
    surely you would be very much against this? it's more or less similar to what you are complaining about is it not? your money paying for them to do whatever?

we aren't.
    people are prioritised on the basis of certain criteria.

the main criteria I see, is having a vagina and being prepared to use it!

Only media person in Ireland with the balls to call out wasters and spongers in this country.

can you blame the rest? with the legions of wasters in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

take a read of this insane bull**** and no, its not April 1st, I assure you!

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sleepout-to-be-held-outside-south-dublin-co-co-to-protest-rise-in-council-housing-rents-977430.html

I've worked since I left school (well except for a 9 month stint) and have a council house. You do realise people in council housing work right? They aren't for unemployed people.

• Advertisement

Only 4% unemployment rate, where are these legions?

Niall Boylan :pac: Come on he's a wind up merchant.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Only 4% unemployment rate, where are these legions?

4% ? LOL! What about the massive disability rates here, way out of line with other european countries? all the schemes they use to massage the figures? 4%? that you Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Niall Boylan :pac: Come on he's a wind up merchant.

Ah he's a cesspit but he made valid points both earlier and tonight.

4% ? LOL! What about the massive disability rates here, way out of line with other european countries? all the schemes they use to massage the figures? 4%? that you Leo?

So people who are disabled and unable to work are wasters ?

Ah he's a cesspit but he made valid points both earlier and tonight.

Nah he appeals to the lowest common denominator. The man in controversial for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

So people who are disabled and unable to work are wasters ?

Not all. But a high % are work dodgers which is the point the Poster was making if you could look beyond your liberal goggles

jay0109 wrote: »
    Not all. But a high % are work dodgers which is the point the Poster was making if you could look beyond your liberal goggles

I'll leave this here!

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/the-mystery-of-disability/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Look, those who get up in the morning and shower and shave or whatever and deliver the kids into paid for care and go to work on a long commute really deserve to have a voice.

They don't, but are paying for everything, and those who pay for nothing still castigate everyone else for not looking after them.

Who is looking after those who contribute, pay a mortgage, pay for child care? This cohort really need a voice.

Look, those who get up in the morning and shower and shave or whatever and deliver the kids into paid for care and go to work on a long commute really deserve to have a voice.

They don't, but are paying for everything, and those who pay for nothing still castigate everyone else for not looking after them.

Who is looking after those who contribute, pay a mortgage, pay for child care? This cohort really need a voice.

ITS INSANITY! The workers pay for everything, **** commutes, mad marginal rate of tax, paying for many of the I'm alright jacks, with their hands out for the taxpayers money, but want to deprive these people of homes! Do one! this is not going to be tolerated much longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

n97 mini wrote: »
    It's been my experience that that argument is used by those who don't like what the UK is doing in a particular area, usually for some selfish reason. It gets used a lot. The UK does a lot of things better than we do.

Ref UK lived 20 yrs in Derry, compared to down here they are light years ahead regarding housing,sheltered and council, housing associations are on the ball

Start a political party so.

I shave and shower AND live in a council house. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

ITS INSANITY! The workers pay for everything, **** commutes, mad marginal rate of tax, paying for many of the I'm alright jacks, with their hands out for the taxpayers money, but want to deprive these people of homes! Do one! this is not going to be tolerated much longer!

So true. It's like being punished for furthering oneself. If someone hasn't contributed then why do they get any say in where the money goes or who the housing is allocated to?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I shave and shower AND live in a council house

For some reason I'm not buying your makey uppey story

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the main criteria I see, is having a vagina and being prepared to use it!

that's ultimately your problem and hard luck isn't it.

the "legions of wasters "would be in your imagination only.
    certainly we have wasters, every country does, but the amount is certainly not an amount that could be described as "legions"

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm a patient man so here goes one more time, the houses aren't available in Dublin so the idea is move them to commuter towns in the surrounding counties when houses become vacant in those areas.

The way it is now with people refusing offers in other counties so they can get a place in Dublin City Centre for free or a stones throw from mammy is unsustainable.

It's a bit odd that you don't want your taxes being used by them for the bus up and down but have no problem with them being used to keep people in hotels for free while they refuse multiple housing offers.

Gatling wrote: »
    For some reason I'm not buying your makey uppey story

Thankfully i read that this morning so i didn't lose sleep over it, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hi. No I'm not dense don't see why you have to insult me I live in a council estate and bar one or two skangers everyone else works. I'm even married imagine that.

You must be John Brady, the Sinn Fein TD, who takes home over 100k in salary and expenses and lives in a council home.

The vast majority of council tenants do not work, and many are life-long social welfare recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The problem is what should be a party of the taxpayers, of small business, the self employed i.e. FG have ended up chasing votes from the very low paid and the perennially unemployed wasters.
    This cohort have an inordinate amount of champions in the media from both the the "do-gooder class" and media charlatans themselves.
    Just look at the reaction in the media to Casey's remarks in the Presidential.

And the laugh is FG are never really going to get most of these votes anyway because FF are masters at populism, are seen for generations as the party of the lowly worker even if long untrue, Labour, and now laterally sinn fein, PBP, SDs, etc, etc.
    It is time FG moved back to centre at least.
    Yes keep most of the socially liberal agenda, just dump the gender codology, the traveller excusing, the social welfare for life and immigration of chancers, but move economically towards the right.

BTW anyone that is sick, that is disabled or a full time carer deserves even more supports.
    The lazy fookers that once hurt their middle finger and now on the sick for life doesn't.
    The ones that left school and have spent their life on the dole don't.
    Anyone that loses a job, be it PAYE or self employed, deserve support until they get back on their feet.
    They don't deserve it for the rest of their lives.

Why do those ideas offend so many fooking Irish people is beyond me and show how entitled we have become.

There are lots of votes there but they have to face down the media and charity/NGO industry.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

Subsidized buses means they will be there, not that they'd be paid for. The bus user still has to pay the fare, the gobermint/your tax money just ensures a bus line exists going from a to b to c or whatever makes sense for the area/country.

Advertisement