Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Must be just giving that money to that scammer from Nigeria so. Ill have to inform my bank.

Deflection with a hint of racism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Antares35 wrote: »
    Feels like going in circles. It's not "free". It's not "nominal". What is it then? I wouldn't mind only paying a percentage of my income on rent however I never had that luxury. Was up to me to make sure I earned enough to cover it, and if there was a shortage, cuts had to be made elsewhere.

You still didn't tell us what % you actually pay.

And i won't be telling you.

If you are angry at the system then change the system, no point blaming those in social housing. Nobody in social housing is making off like Al Capone on the state of the housing market.

Luke

Gatling wrote: »
    Deflection with a hint of racism

Yes it's racism :rolleyes:

Thought this was an adults discussion forum.

I found it rather helpful, being based in fact and all that :)

Course you did ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

And i won't be telling you.

If you are angry at the system then change the system, no point blaming those in social housing. Nobody in social housing is making off like Al Capone on the state of the housing market.

Luke

Well you keep parping on about it being a "percentage" as if that is somehow meaningful in the context of the debate, but where you don't actually divulge that, it is actually meaningless. It could be 5% for all we know.

I don't have the time, energy or inclination to "change the system" - whatever that means. Too busy propping it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Course you did ;)

Yes - its easier to keep up with than incessant use of :rolleyes: and ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The builders have a notices on the site railings that if the protesters don't stop blocking the site by midday tomorrow, they'll be going to court to get an injunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Feels like going in circles. It's not "free". It's not "nominal". What is it then? I wouldn't mind only paying a percentage of my income on rent however I never had that luxury. Was up to me to make sure I earned enough to cover it, and if there was a shortage, cuts had to be made elsewhere.
    You still didn't tell us what % you actually pay.

Yep, it's the usual double standards. Some people have a sense of entitlement and expect other to provide for them

The builders have a notices on the site railings that if the protesters don't stop blocking the site by midday tomorrow, they'll be going to court to get an injunction.

it's easy to protest when you have nothing to do all day! if they looked for jobs instead they might even afford to rent a house!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Yep, it's the usual double standards. Some people have a sense of entitlement and expect other to provide for them

what he pays is not your concern and is none of your business. it is between him and the council he rents from.

it's easy to protest when you have nothing to do all day! if they looked for jobs instead they might even afford to rent a house!

the days of 9 to 5 being the working hour for all are long gone, meaning people can protest at different times of the day.
    if those protesting do have nothing to do all day, then even if they looked for jobs they wouldn't get them, and even if they did they wouldn't be able to rent a house themselves as the wage they would likely get would be to low to pay the high costs.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

the days of 9 to 5 being the working hour for all are long gone, meaning people can protest at different times of the day.

Less of the excuse after excuse.

It's obvious none of these racists have no jobs and explains the protests from apparently the same people every day .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

what he pays is not your concern and is none of your business. it is between him and the council he rents from.

if those protesting do have nothing to do all day, then even if they looked for jobs they wouldn't get them, and even if they did they wouldn't be able to rent a house themselves as the wage they would likely get would be to low to pay the high costs.

Why couldn't they get jobs? At what point did they become "unemployables"?

Are you happy that they will likely drag up children who are also "unemployables"?

I pay tax, so yes, it is my concern

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why couldn't they get jobs? At what point did they become "unemployables"?

Are you happy that they will likely drag up children who are also "unemployables"?

i would imagine no employer worth their salt would employ someone who sits around all day or who would spend every day protesting. that is why they likely couldn't get work.
    no, i'm not happy that they may bring up children who may turn out to be unemployables, but that is ultimately down to the education system to show the positives of work as part of their teachings.
    other then that, there isn't really much that can be done unfortunately from what i can see, without causing issues to those who are actually genuinely in need.
    there were always unemployable people, i suppose it has become a bit more to the fore in the last couple of decades due to the likes of the uk and their areas of terminal decline.
    I pay tax, so yes, it is my concern

i pay tax as well, it's still not our concern, paying tax doesn't mean we have a right to know everything about everyone.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i pay tax as well, it's still not our concern, paying tax doesn't mean we have a right to know everything about everyone.

I never claimed the right to know, honestly i couldn't care less about how much money you get, it's the principle that i have an issue with. I can provide from myself, so can a lot of other people who are permanently on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Reading some of the comments here they're a mirror of how the English relate to their public services. “The powers that be” imposing services on people. There's a disconnect between the local authority chosen by the people of the community providing for the community and the people in the community. I remember growing up in an area where “the Corpo” were spoken of like some unseen oppressive force, but the first name to blame and stick on the claim form.

Yet in Ireland we often hear about solutions to social problems based on models in Scandinavian or Northern European countries where this behaviour is completely alien.

The best way to address all social issues in Ireland is to stop looking outside for excuses and convenient scapegoats for our problems. “The powers that be” are chosen by us and if they aren't doing what we want it's our fault and we should do something about it.

Some of the people complaining loudest about social problems have controlled the local councills they now say they'll fix from a national government level. Feckin lying Bull****ters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

New social housing in Dublin while families with high paid jobs have to live in the Midlands and commute daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Who is running the Councils?

The Green Party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

vriesmays wrote: »
    New social housing in Dublin while families with high paid jobs have to live in the Midlands and commute daily.

ARe you looking for sympathy for high paid families?

At least they are better placed to afford the commuting costs.

Unlike those on minimum wage or in low paid employment, where the costs of commuting may be what tips the balance on the scales between taking up employment or not.

AulWan wrote: »
    ARe you looking for sympathy for high paid families?

At least they are better placed to afford the commuting costs.

Unlike those on minimum wage or in low paid employment, where the costs of commuting may be what tips the balance on the scales between taking up employment or not.

Over 60 percent of families in social housing don't work. Social housing should be for those in low paid jobs, working should push you up the list on merit

• Advertisement

Over 60 percent of families in social housing don't work. Social housing should be for those in low paid jobs, working should push you up the list on merit

And what percentage of the 60% that don't are unable to work, caring for those who are unable to work, parenting alone, or stay-at-home partners of those at work?

You know what, don't bother answering that. Its been debated ad nauseum, at this stage.

The point is, just repeating over and over that social housing, and Dublin in particular, should be for those in low paid jobs does nothing but shows a complete and utter ignornance of what the real world is really like, where people don't just fit into neat categories.

These threads constantly bashing social housing, and those who live in social housing, are getting utterly boring. The state isn't going to suddenly relocate 60% of social housing tenants down to rural areas and they will continue to build more social housing in Dublin.

Just get over it and deal with reality, instead of bitching about it.

Hopefully the state will listen to the increasing number of complaints coming from tax payers and job holders who commute everyday and make some changes to the current welfare policies. Things can be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Well known arch-communist Dermot Desmond writing about housing as a right.

Some of his ideas I'd agree with here, and some of them actually chime with Eoin O'Broin's housing plan (which I'm not entirely uncritical of, but for the most part, goes the longest distance in the right direction of any of the parties).

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/dermot-desmond-everyone-has-a-right-to-a-home-here-is-how-it-can-be-done-1.4195439?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Fdermot-desmond-everyone-has-a-right-to-a-home-here-is-how-it-can-be-done-1.4195439

If anyone put their username to these ideas they'd be shouted down as Joseph Stalin by the usual suspects. Good read with some decent ideas and concepts in there.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Well known arch-communist Dermot Desmond writing about housing as a right.

It's hidden behind a paywall .

And what percentage of the 60% that don't are unable to work, caring for those who are unable to work, parenting alone, or stay-at-home partners of those at work?

See there is a big gap between people on here discussing this topic and those making excuses ,
    One or two poster it's all no ,no ,no you can , people won't excuse after excuse.
    Or the lower level the snowflakes claiming bashing thread and making excuses .

Meanwhile ordinary people are making actual viable suggestions and yet people make more excuses.

This is why we have so many issues in this country people protesting or moan you can't do this and can't do that someone call Joe quick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's hidden behind a paywall .

outline.com usually does the trick or else try opening the article in an incognito tab.

See there is a big gap between people on here discussing this topic and those making excuses ,
    One or two poster it's all no ,no ,no you can , people won't excuse after excuse.
    Or the lower level the snowflakes claiming bashing thread and making excuses .

Meanwhile ordinary people are making actual viable suggestions and yet people make more excuses.

This is why we have so many issues in this country people protesting or moan you can't do this and can't do that someone call Joe quick

You think transplanting the majority of Dublin' existing social housing tenants to isolated rural areas is an actual viable suggestion?

Okay then. I can see you've thought this through. ;)

Yurt! wrote: »
    outline.com usually does the trick or else try opening the article in an incognito tab.

Some pretty decent suggestions there ,

They need to review social housing too , they should build low density accessable apartments for elderly people with the provision that your housed on need and that changes through time ,the idea hundreds of essentially single persons are living in 3-5 bed houses when thousands of families are living in single hotel rooms ,

Have community facilitators living in complexes for elderly to make A -transitions easy and help them connect with groups in the areas for social activities

You think transplanting the majority of

It could be done over a phased basis on new builds say to people on the list we have properties outside of Dublin there's shops , doctors surgeries and school places and if they say no ,sorry your discharged from our duty of care and your welcome to self accommodate at your own cost,
    It would also help rejuvenate towns and villages that have suffered due to migration and breathe new life into rural Ireland

They do this in London ,you can literally end up moving across the country unless there is an actual need to live in one single place ,

• Advertisement

You think transplanting the majority of Dublin' existing social housing tenants to isolated rural areas is an actual viable suggestion?

Okay then. I can see you've thought this through. ;)

No I think fixing the priority and allocation for the future would help. We don't need to keep doing something because "it's always been done".

A house for life is an old fashioned concept which hadn't evolved. The method for allocating has hardly changed at the same time as this country has radically changed.

I do not blame the people, the system (and the media to a degree) is at fault

Advertisement