Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

AulWan wrote: »
    How do you know they haven't done all those things? I just read the article and there is nothing in the article about these peoples' working or non-working status. They could have done that - they could in fact be in full time employment and still are not in a position to be able to buy or afford private rents. Many two parent families are in the same boat.

But unfortunately, its well known that those parenting alone are the most at risk of poverty due to only having the earning capacity of one person, and they are more likely to stay impoverished for the same reason.

I don't agree with them halting development - this helps no one. As far as I am aware, the houses will not be allocated until built, so who knows who will get them?

They definitely don't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Give or take, one half of the country is working to pay for the other half

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Give or take, one half of the country is working to pay for the other half

503067.jpeg

income sources of main applicants on the social housing list 2017/2018 , the vast majority don't work and are not pensioners, carers or disabled as many like to bring up. 3/4 of people on the dole would have to be carers for the amount of times it gets trotted out here as an excuse.

is_that_so wrote: »
    By furriners they mean furriners outside the area
    This is correct. I was told to go back to Kerry. I don't come from Kerry. I lived in non-council housing which was in-fill to get rid of anti-social housing in another part of Dublin 15. They weren't shy to say that the area should have been kept for council housing. qui bono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Giving free houses to non-nationals - a disgrace
    Giving free houses to Irish - also a disgrace because they will never work

It’s a multi spectrum argument depending on whether you hate foreigners or you hate the underclass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

eviltwin wrote: »
    They definitely don't work

There is nothing in the article referring to any of their work status, so, unless you can somehow provide a link or some kind of verifiable proof that none of them work, or attend college, or have never done either, then you cannot state that as a fact.

All I see here are the usual ignorant stereotypical assumptions being made about them because they are wearing grey tracksuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There is nothing in the article referring to any of their work status, so, unless you can somehow provide a link or some kind of verifiable proof that none of them work, or attend college, or have never done either, then you cannot state that as a fact.

All I see here are the usual ignorant stereotypical assumptions being made about them because they are wearing grey tracksuits.

I'm from the area and know a few of the protesters. This protest is down the road from me and I pass it multiple times a day. The ones I know definitely aren't working. There are a few who do have jobs but they wisely opted to stay out of the media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

A low wage work force has been imported from Poland and surrounding nations and now you can include Brazil in that which has slashed working class wages this is a fact.

This is not a fact, it's an opinion. If it was a fact then you would have data to back it up.

Africans are being imported in mass and given free everything and areas are becoming no go with African gangs we had a five hour riot at the Red Cow on new years with them suppressed by the media.

Can you provide a link to the company or government agency importing these Africans??
    These homes should be going to Irish WORKING people.

The thread is about non working people demanding houses..
    That hatred of the working class here makes me sick. These African gangs are not going to pay you pension.

I have yet to see any hatred expressed in this thread for working people... of any "class" or income profile..

Posing facts like that here is like walking on eggshells shill posters wait to attack and mods are ready to ban if you answer them back.

You made lots of assertions devoid of data. You didn't quote 1 fact or provide any evidence to back a single comment.

When you start posting facts, facts that you can stand over then people will take you seriously.

Several things should happen.

1) You certainly shouldn’t get ANY choice in were your free house will be located.

2) You only get 1 offer. Take it or go to the back of the queue.

3) Much less social housing in Dublin, were the working people paying for your free house would be better located.

4) Annual review. If 2 kids have moved out, move to a smaller place. Shouldn’t make a difference if somebody is 70. You should have bought your own place if you wanted the luxury of a certain area.

5) Reduce dole for each year a person is claiming it.

6) Scrap the Xmas bonus. It’s insulting to everyone who works full time.

These points would certainly help to address the entitlement. Unfortunately, a government would be crucified for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Several things should happen.

1) You certainly shouldn’t get ANY choice in were your free house will be located.

2) You only get 1 offer. Take it or go to the back of the queue.

3) Much less social housing in Dublin, were the working people paying for your free house would be better located.

4) Annual review. If 2 kids have moved out, move to a smaller place. Shouldn’t make a difference if somebody is 70. You should have bought your own place if you wanted the luxury of a certain area.

5) Reduce dole for each year a person is claiming it.

6) Scrap the Xmas bonus. It’s insulting to everyone who works full time.

These points would certainly help to address the entitlement. Unfortunately, a government would be crucified for it.

Carers and the disabled get the Christmas bonus. And so they should.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm from the area and know a few of the protesters. This protest is down the road from me and I pass it multiple times a day. The ones I know definitely aren't working. There are a few who do have jobs but they wisely opted to stay out of the media coverage.

So there are some that DO have jobs?

Meaning your previous statement is not correct.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The narrative/image of the Christmas "bonus" is not great (politicians use the term all the time)

"Well done, another year sat on your arse, here is a bonus..."

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Why are we housing or paying rental allowance to any non Irish when we are in the depths of a huge housing crisis?

If they can’t pay their way, then give them a one way ticket home. It’s madness paying for immigrants to live here and then pitting the native poor people against imported poor people.

This won’t end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Those who are physically disabled or those in receipt of disability allowance? Not all are visible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

RonanG86 wrote: »
    AFAIK, you have to have been employed for 52 continuous weeks in Ireland to be entitled to Social Housing Support at some point in the past few years (think it's 5) if you're non-EU.

Dunno about if you are EU though. I'd imagine said stipulation does not exist because of the free movement principle.

About EU, this is worth a read. Tldr; here since 2006, no work history, no house. Suing council.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/council-sued-by-vulnerable-homeless-couple-seeking-housing-supports-1.4142898?mode=amp

Move to a smaller place, where, exactly?

Where are all these 1/2 bed units coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

n97 mini wrote: »

They should be returned to Romania where they have family and support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Steyr 556 wrote: »

It’s a multi spectrum argument depending on whether you hate foreigners or you hate the underclass.

What about Irish on low wages?

Have you read the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

wanting to keep hold of your own money and people to take care of themselves just like you do , a shocking spectrum of hate.

knipex wrote: »
    This is not a fact, it's an opinion. If it was a fact then you would have data to back it up.

Can you provide a link to the company or government agency importing these Africans??

The thread is about non working people demanding houses..

I have yet to see any hatred expressed in this thread for working people... of any "class" or income profile..

You made lots of assertions devoid of data. You didn't quote 1 fact or provide any evidence to back a single comment.

When you start posting facts, facts that you can stand over then people will take you seriously.

I have a pair of eyes I do not need an official report to see want anybody with a pair of eyes can see.

Wages are for the working class are much lower than they where 15 years ago add to that no sick pay or any other benefits.

Large areas full of Africans that only cause problems that do not work.

I see it everyday.

DTBiAbOVAAEyULN.jpg

Maybe you don't notice these things when you are ordering your skinny Latte.

• Advertisement

Move to a smaller place, where, exactly?

Where are all these 1/2 bed units coming from?

The downsizing is generally not happening anyways so no demand. People are keeping their council houses for years after the last kid moves out. And would be outraged at losing “their” house to be downsized.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

strandroad wrote: »
    I read the entire article and not a father in sight. It's a whole multi-generational subculture where women keep having kids while on waiting list and fathers just disappear.

We lead Europe in lone parenthood.

The downsizing is generally not happening anyways so no demand. People are keeping their council houses for years after the last kid moves out. And would be outraged at losing “their” house to be downsized.

Not letting you away with the bit in bold you can not back that up and it is based on nothing.

Older people would be happy to have a lower heating bill no garden to look after and be with other older people away form antisocial elements Irish and imported.

DTBiAbOVAAEyULN.jpg

What is happening is these yobs in the picture above and many thousands more like them are given houses while Irish working class live hand to mouth paying private landlords.

Are you telling me this lot are going to work?

Gatling wrote: »
    They should be returned to Romania where they have family and support

Not going to happen and we all know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The narrative/image of the Christmas "bonus" is not great (politicians use the term all the time)

"Well done, another year sat on your arse, here is a bonus..."

Carers provide the state with a service that would cost multiples if the person being cared for had to be institutionalised. They should actually be getting more than they get to be fair. Its not like they work a 40 hour week.

Carers provide the state with a service that would cost multiples if the person being cared for had to be institutionalised. They should actually be getting more than they get to be fair. Its not like they work a 40 hour week.

Being stuck in a poverty trap with a sick dying or profoundly disabled person is very depressing and soul destroying.

The people that do this are saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

I live I an area with very high population of foreign nationals, most of them hang around all day doing fa - we have a high crime rate in the area now too. 20 years ago it was a very safe place to live, so sad its come to this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Not going to happen and we all know it.

I wonder how you or I would be treated in their home country if we rocked up looking to be housed for free and given a weekly sum to live on. I'd dare say We would be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Leilak wrote: »
    I live I an area with very high population of foreign nationals, most of them hang around all day doing fa - we have a high crime rate in the area now too. 20 years ago it was a very safe place to live, so sad its come to this

Same situation where i live, only difference is that it's mainly Irish people hanging around doing nothing
    Social Welfare shouldn't support lazy people who don't care to look for a job

Advertisement