Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"None of our children on the list are getting these houses"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I wonder how you or I would be treated in their home country if we rocked up looking to be housed for free and given a weekly sum to live on. I'd dare say We would be ignored.

We might get a free kicking and a free cell for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

smurgen wrote: »
    So to put into perspective of what I was saying the canton with the lowest income tax Obwalden has a rate of 1.8% but it's like the Leitrim of switzerland.the highest then is in Zurich which is more like Dublin. It's more of a federalist system and we'd need massive changes in many areas if we were to go down that route but I could see alot of benefits if we could decentralise the governing of our counties from Dublin.

Switzerland has a completely different approach to unemployment- you need to have worked a certain length of time to receive their equivalent of the dole.... and as a non Swiss person you cannot remain indefinitely without finding a job. In addition when on the dole you have responsibilities.......if called for a meeting you need to attend or they will stop your payments for 5 days. You also need to apply for a certain number of jobs a month and show proof you have done so.

.... but this is off topic!

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Same situation where i live, only difference is that it's mainly Irish people hanging around doing nothing
    Social Welfare shouldn't support lazy people who don't care to look for a job

I live in an area where there are Irish scum and African scum.

Why do you mention one to try and deflect the other.

One set of scum is home-grown the other was imported why?

And why the climate of hostility to anybody that dares mention it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Factor in also for Dublin over 20% of families that are homeless, (and so likely on priority lists) are non-EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

And why the hostility to anybody that dares mention it?

Careful now, won't be long till the boards Antifa crowd appear. Prepare to have your post history checked with a fine tooth comb and used against you. Any opinion that does not conform to their way of thinking is immediately branded as racist or facist.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    We lead Europe in lone parenthood.
    Wonder would 'anchor babies' be a factor in the single parent numbers.

Same situation where i live, only difference is that it's mainly Irish people hanging around doing nothing
    Social Welfare shouldn't support lazy people who don't care to look for a job

Irish scum going around on quad bikes and the like turning the area into a complete and utter **** hole.

Next area over Africans looted the Lidl during the snow and all services avoid that area God help the old people living in there.

I agree welfare should not support scum nor should they be housed.
    Instead of dealing with the problem we get thrown from the frying pan into the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

And why the climate of hostility to anybody that dares mention it?

For me nationality doesn't matter, the Irish economy depends heavily on multinationals who employee hundreds of people with language skills. We need foreigners to sustain our current economy

I have an issue with people who don't take responsibility and expect Social Welfare to take care of them. Irish or non irish

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The people mentioned in the OP are quite brave to raise this really.

No one is allowed to question anything like this anymore, so naturally it will be an issue, rightly or wrongly and will bubble to the surface eventually.

Councils need to be transparent regarding their allocation of Social housing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

If you contribute nothing you should be entitled to same.generations of wasters and now the dregs of Africa is added to the list

You sir/madam is an arse!! Dregs?

• Advertisement

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Why are we housing or paying rental allowance to any non Irish when we are in the depths of a huge housing crisis?

If they can’t pay their way, then give them a one way ticket home. It’s madness paying for immigrants to live here and then pitting the native poor people against imported poor people.

This won’t end well.

How exactly do you know they are non Irish? Based on their skin color? It’s 2020, cop on

For me nationality doesn't matter, the Irish economy depends heavily on multinationals who employee hundreds of people with language skills. We need foreigners to sustain our current economy

I have an issue with people who don't take responsibility and expect Social Welfare to take care of them. Irish or non irish

The people to whom you mention would not be on welfare in social housing.

I had a dark skinned doctor for many years before he retired best doc I ever had.
    I met him first back in the 80s he was always busy I don't recall any so called racists every crying about him.

Chinese people seem to just keep working away and any trouble they keep to themselves.
    Indian people although we don't seem to have many go unnoticed as they just seem to work away also.
    My question is why do we import people who cannot support themselves and will never support themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Wonder would 'anchor babies' be a factor in the single parent numbers.

Given that there’s no such thing here, a I’d hazard that’s a ‘no’.

maneno wrote: »
    How exactly do you know they are non Irish? Based on their skin color? It’s 2020, cop on

Oh yes the great Alan ****tter passport giveaway.:rolleyes:

Surprised he found time for this in-between closing all those rural Garda Stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

alastair wrote: »

Only because we voted to close the loophole back in 04, it was a free for all before that.

Surprised he found time for this in-between closing all those rural Garda Stations.

Don’t understand the Alan shatter giveaway reference but you do realize there are immigration legislation that allows one to become a citizen after a set period of time in any country, but shure why not blame all these bloody non nationals for everything ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Only because we voted to close the loophole back in 04, it was a free for all before that.

It still is to an extent, get off the plane and seek refugee status, they’ll be in direct provision and eventually naturalised

It still is to an extent, get off the plane and seek refugee status, they’ll be in direct provision and eventually naturalised

They have more chance of winning the lotto than been sent back.

Naturalisation was around a long time before Alan Shatter. Citizenship isn’t free, and takes a long time to attain. Best of luck to those who see it through.

It wasn’t any ‘loophole’ to begin with, and ending it did nothing to reduce either legal or illegal immigration. Either way - it’s not a thing that applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

mcgragger wrote: »
    I know couples renting at mad money, both with Jobs. Doing the right thing but they cant afford a house. Should they not get a house? Should they be given a chance of a normal life?

Same boat

They have more chance of winning the lotto than been sent back.

Anybody who has come to the end of their asylum claim process without success is issued a deportation order. The vast majority of asylum claims result in deportation orders in the final analysis.

Assuming their claim is approved. And most are not.

Wasn't there a video recently of an African family arriving in Dublin Airport with fake passports and asking for asylum. I am of the opinion that we should definitely be helping those families that need our help. I am father with a young family and can only imagine what it must be like two live in Syria for example. The right thing to do is to take our fair share of those in need. What confuses me is that many of the people who arrived are from countries where there has been no war or conflict for decades. A lot of these people were economic refugees. Caliming refugee status by claiming you were forced to vote a certain way or because of your sexual orientation and the likes should not be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

To badly paraphrase Kevin Costner’s character in Field of Dreams, or Noah from the Bible (both fictional)....

“Build it and they will come”

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thatsthejob

Several things should happen.

1) You certainly shouldn’t get ANY choice in were your free house will be located.

2) You only get 1 offer. Take it or go to the back of the queue.

3) Much less social housing in Dublin, were the working people paying for your free house would be better located.

4) Annual review. If 2 kids have moved out, move to a smaller place. Shouldn’t make a difference if somebody is 70. You should have bought your own place if you wanted the luxury of a certain area.

5) Reduce dole for each year a person is claiming it.

6) Scrap the Xmas bonus. It’s insulting to everyone who works full time.

These points would certainly help to address the entitlement. Unfortunately, a government would be crucified for it.

Brilliant post. Fully agree with all points

Anybody who has come to the end of their asylum claim process without success is issued a deportation order.

Assuming they comply with such an (unforced) requested order.

There are plenty of cases of chaps with multiple ID's, appealing decisions or simply ignoring requests and moving to another county.

A recent case was of a gay man who had kids and wife here, then told officials he couldn't leave beacuse he (the gay man) suddenly now had kids to look aftter (even though he seperated from said wife).

Anybody who has come to the end of their asylum claim process without success is issued a deportation order. The vast majority of asylum claims result in deportation orders in the final analysis.

quote from the examiner for last year I believe. Not exactly the "vast majority" now is it?

The Irish authorities had the lowest rate of refusal to applications from asylum seekers of any of the EU’s 28 member states last year.

Only 15% of first-time decisions on asylum applications in Ireland were rejected, compared to an EU average of 63%.

A total of 1,275 asylum seekers in the Republic were granted protection last year, of which 815 were awarded refugee status.

Assuming they comply with such an (unforced) order.

There are plenty of cases of chaps with multiple ID's, appealing decisions or simply ignoring requests and moving to another county.

A recent case was of a gay man who had kids and wife here, then told officials he couldn't leave beacuse he (the gay man) suddenly now had kids to look aftter (even though he seperated from said wife).

Anyone who doesn’t comply is subject to enforced deportation. But that is only a minority of those who are issued deportation orders. The man you mention is fighting an enforced deportation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The 2004 referendum closed it off. This case was what eventually led to that referendum, though the masters of the maternity hospitals had flagged it as a major cause of overcrowding in the years prior.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_v_Home_Secretary

Advertisement