Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Preventive maintenance on 316d E90

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Bunkernumber1

Shah91n wrote: »
    I understood what you meant, so I should remove it and start the engine, would not that be harmful for those parts or the engine as the belt is part of the operation?

No will cause no harm at all apart from the alternator not charging the battery for the 5 mins you have the engine running. But know it's not harmful and this is how any mechanic would determine if the noise is external or internal in the engine. My money is on the two little pulleys on there own common enough problem. You will have to check them when the belt is off tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I was advised recently to get my swirl flaps blanked. Done a bit of googling and it seems to be something that people do but it seems that these engines are no where as bad as the M47 for them. Others suggested having the manifold cleaned instead as they suffer from carbon built up.

Yeah it was only the M47 which had the problem, and even then not all versions did, by the time the engine got into the E90 it didn't really suffer from that issue, and I think they had changed the oil filter by then as well.

The E90 used the M47N2 engine (also called the M47TU2), the E46 used either the M47 (earliest 320ds without common rail technology), or the M47N /M47TU engine (the one with the turbo problems if the Vortex filter hasn't been used).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I was advised recently to get my swirl flaps blanked. Done a bit of googling and it seems to be something that people do but it seems that these engines are no where as bad as the M47 for them. Others suggested having the manifold cleaned instead as they suffer from carbon built up.

Yeah it was only the M47 which had the problem, and even then not all versions did, by the time the engine got into the E90 it didn't really suffer from that issue, and I think they had changed the oil filter by then as well.

The E90 used the M47N2 engine (also called the M47TU2), the E46 used either the M47 (earliest 320ds without common rail technology), or the M47N /M47TU engine (the one with the turbo problems if the Vortex filter hasn't been used).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shah91n

Hello everyone,

Does anyone here have a BWM 3 Series 316d that crossed 200k miles? Is it still running well? what did you do to keep it good? How long do you think it will keep running?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

a week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Mate, ive checked your post history, and your quetion was answered in your first post.

do the servicing, theres no short cuts, if you want the car to last your gonna have to pay, a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shah91n, I've merged with your main thread. Keep all your questions in this one thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BavarianCare

wandererz wrote: »
    OP, that's bad advice. He provides the same bad advice to other threads as well.

There are items that if fail can blow your engine & that's effectively the end of your car.

One item that is known to fail are the swirl flaps. If it breaks it gets sucked into the engine & destroys it.

Another is the oil breather filter. This should be changed to a vortex type. Even if it has one, it should be changed every 3-4 oil changes.

If doing the swirl flaps, the Vortex filter should be changed at the same time as the manifold will be opened up at the time. Also there are 4 cylinder gaskets which can be changed at the same time.

2011 E90 diesel has replaceable oil breather for Vortex like 2002 E46 320d M47?
    News to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BavarianCare

Beat me to it. There's no problem with either the swirl flaps or the turbo in these engines. The turbo can go in them but that would hardly be a surprise given the mileage on this car, that could happen any car with 190k miles on the clock. The only thing worth doing as preventative maintenance would be the timing chain, not worth risking it IMO as if it were to snap the engine would be a write off.

Swirl flaps can be an issue with N47 (AND B47 engines in addition to chains.
    However, the common issues are:
    Wrong service intervals (official ones are incorrect)
    Chains
    Turbo failure (due to neglected DPF)
    EGR modules
    ===
    I'd remove the swirl flaps and block the actuator port at that mileage
    Also, update the software of vehicle & modify service intervals.
    Professionally clean the DPF as THIS CAN cause turbo failure. To say turbos don't give trouble on these is daft.
    Chains if a listen gave me any worry...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

A lot of people who remove the swirl flaps on these do end up regretting it I've heard. Only those who do it on the 3.0l notice no difference.

• Advertisement

Swirl flaps can be an issue with N47 (AND B47 engines in addition to chains.
    However, the common issues are:
    Wrong service intervals (official ones are incorrect)
    Chains
    Turbo failure (due to neglected DPF)
    EGR modules
    ===
    I'd remove the swirl flaps and block the actuator port at that mileage
    Also, update the software of vehicle & modify service intervals.
    Professionally clean the DPF as THIS CAN cause turbo failure. To say turbos don't give trouble on these is daft.
    Chains if a listen gave me any worry...

I am not sure I have Swirl Flaps, my knowlegde is limited with BMW 316d however recently 3 weeks ago, I did flush and change all fluids in the car and did the brakes and full service, there is nothing I can think of that need to be done at 190k miles however one thing remain and pissing me off, I bought BT bimmer tool and noticing the DPF (I will never buy diesel car anymore after this one), The car regenerate automatically without a problem and burn all soots down but it builds up in no time means that say I am 50% (30g of soots), I go to motorway it activate, it burns until go to 2% (2g of soots) I turn back home on M50 15min driving it builds up like 2 3 5 6 7 bla bla until 50% again then it request regeneration (one time I did return to M50 to carry on but it keeps doing the same)

Code 4D03 came out Exhaust Gas Counter came out like a month ago - Mechanice told me add this Moly DPF additives and drive. He removed the code and It was fine to be honest but then the problem I mentioned above started to happen a week ago so not sure what to do now but I am worried to ruin something up by keep driving expecting the car to show code !!!

Keep in mind, the car never lose power nor went into limp mode YET :(

Any advise would be appreciated if someone faced that before

Unless they've already being removed you defiantly have swirl flaps.

Unless they've already being removed you defiantly have swirl flaps.

The car had only one previous owner and all services/changes/tyres/changes done from BMW main dealer Colm Quinn were given to me and I can tell nothing has been taken off this car. I do trust the previous owner.

So if they are there, they are there!!

Yet I cannot see any issues with anything in car except the bloody DPF acting up
    Turbo, Engine etc.. all sound and works as expected

Also don't take too much notice of the soot values, it's an estimated value from other sensors combined as I've recently learned. Same happened to me a few weeks ago. Car began a regen at the Red Cow and about 50km after it finished the soot value had climbed to nearly 20g. When I started the car the next day it was only 3.something grams.

Also don't take too much notice of the soot values, it's an estimated value from other sensors combined as I've recently learned. Same happened to me a few weeks ago. Car began a regen at the Red Cow and about 50km after it finished the soot value had climbed to nearly 20g. When I started the car the next day it was only 3.something grams.

That's the thing, I have been monitoring in the past 5 days and yet it's building and regeneration, I just cannot go to M50 every hour to clean it up because once I back, it's up again and I am so worried because I do not want to reach to point to have the car in Limp mode,

I want to drive to Galway and Kerry for holiday and cannot because I am worried the car will break down in where I have no one to rescue me and will end up buying hundreds to bring it back to Dublin :confused:

I am thinking to add one or two Liqui Moly DPF cleaner hoping it will help !!

Also if the car keep asking for regeneration, something must be wrong because it should not be doing that much

Advertisement