Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bypassing a wall switch

Options
  • 16-02-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I have a single-gang double light switch in my front hall for gu10 downlighters. I’ve replaced them with smart bulbs which have their own wireless remote switch.

My question is, if I want to remove the current switch in the wall, can I reconnect the wires in the wall with a connector (similar to inside of a chocbox) and if that’s suitable, what way do I connect the wires?

Currently, there’s a wire going to L1 on each switch and one more wire which is looked through the common feeds for both.

I’m relatively novice at this so please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks in advance,
    Barry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Xwebstar2

bazc123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a single-gang double light switch in my front hall for gu10 downlighters. I’ve replaced them with smart bulbs which have their own wireless remote switch.

My question is, if I want to remove the current switch in the wall, can I reconnect the wires in the wall with a connector (similar to inside of a chocbox) and if that’s suitable, what way do I connect the wires?

Currently, there’s a wire going to L1 on each switch and one more wire which is looked through the common feeds for both.

I’m relatively novice at this so please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks in advance,
    Barry

Replace it with a key-switch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭This is it

Put all three in a connector and place a blank plate over it to tidy up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Xwebstar2

You should leave in place a means of switching off

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Leave the mains switch there. You are better having a back up to turn it all off.

Especially for visitors who won't have your smartphone in their hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭This is it

This is it wrote: »
    Put all three in a connector and place a blank plate over it to tidy up.

Just to add, I agree with the rest, I'd leave the switch there. I've smart lamps around the house connect to an Alexa dot. Handy activating it by voice but there are times when I just want to switch it off or on which I can do because the switches are still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bazc123

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a smart switch or if hue get the remote and a plate that holds it to go over the original switch.

Advertisement