Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 17-02-2020 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Started a new job about 4 weeks ago. Everything going well until a letter came in the post from the companys HR welcoming me to the company but saying that it is a temporary position, as there is somebody on sick leave. I never interviewed for a temporary position, I was told it was a FT position and I have left a good job for this new place. Any idea what I can do about this.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What does your contract say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

What was stated in the original contract you signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

Did you not sign a contract before you handed in your notice in your previous job? What does the contract say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Full Time does not mean permanant

a job can be temporary and be full time if you are doing the required amount of hours to meet the full time criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭micks_address

listermint wrote: »
    What does your contract say

Yeah that seems super odd. Maybe it's just a temporary role covering for someone but a full time job.. meaning you move to a different role when the other person is back ..ask HR to clarify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Only thing I signed was my details on a form as HR are based in the UK. First form I got off HR states its a temp job (by post 4 weeks after starting). But verbally was never told that by the manager or area manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Only thing I signed was my details on a form as HR are based in the UK. First form I got off HR states its a temp job (by post 4 weeks after starting). But verbally was never told that by the manager or area manager.

Have you a copy of the advertisement for the job? If so does it say temporary or permanent?

Have you a copy of the advertisement for the job? If so does it say temporary or permanent?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just ask your manager...I wouldn't go looking for solutions to a problem that might not be there

No

Where did you see the job originally? Perhaps it was online and can be found with a cache search?

• Advertisement

Just ask your manager...I wouldn't go looking for solutions to a problem that might not be there

Manager will consult hr

I will do thanks for all replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Where did you see the job originally? Perhaps it was online and can be found with a cache search?

This is crucial, did you see an add online, an agency ? Where ? Get your hands on it..

It’s a very old trick by employers that your actual contract doesn’t appear until a few weeks after you start working. An unspoken probation almost. They are basically evaluating you, seeing if you are the right fit, or knowing they need to hire but they don’t have formal approval yet...maybe both..

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Under the Employment (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2018 Section 7 which amends Section 3 of the Terms of Employment (Information) act 1994, not later than 5 days after the commencement of your employment you must receive a written statement of 5 core terms including the nature and expected duration of the employment i.e temporary or fixed term. Employers face penalties for breaching this.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/act/38/enacted/en/html
    Please refer to Section 7

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strumms wrote: »
    This is crucial, did you see an add online, an agency ? Where ? Get your hands on it..

It’s a very old trick by employers that your actual contract doesn’t appear until a few weeks after you start working. An unspoken probation almost. They are basically evaluating you, seeing if you are the right fit, or knowing they need to hire but they don’t have formal approval yet...maybe both..

And utterly unnecessary in Ireland, because we have formal probation.

OP, you're between a rock and a hard place: You're on probation, and can be let go with little notice if you make a fuss.

The manager knew full well that the job was temporary when they were hiriing, but used the phrase "full-time" (ie a description of the hours of work) to fool you into thinking it was permanent. This is a scummy thing to do. If that's how they treat you will recruiting, imagine how must worse it will be later.

Get busy job hunting again now. When you find something better, take it.

OP, you're between a rock and a hard place: You're on probation, and can be let go with little notice if you make a fuss.

The manager knew full well that the job was temporary when they were hiriing, but used the phrase "full-time" (ie a description of the hours of work) to fool you into thinking it was permanent. This is a scummy thing to do. If that's how they treat you will recruiting, imagine how must worse it will be later.

Get busy job hunting again now. When you find something better, take it.

How are they ‘on probation’ ? Nowhere have they been informed that they have to complete a probationary period ! This is about applying for a permanent full time position to find out after starting it’s temporary as they are covering for someone on leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It's a terrible situation and I would start looking for a new job.

You cannot trust this employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How are they ‘on probation’ ? Nowhere have they been informed that they have to complete a probationary period ! This is about applying for a permanent full time position to find out after starting it’s temporary as they are covering for someone on leave.

Everyone is on probation for the first twelve months unless advised otherwise. Yes, even for permanent positions.

Everyone is on probation for the first twelve months unless advised otherwise. Yes, even for permanent positions.

That’s incorrect. You need to be informed if you are on probation. Probation ‘can’ be 12 months, or up to 12 months but no longer, just checking now, the probation period with terms needs to be in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Holly13

That’s incorrect. You need to be informed if you are on probation. Probation ‘can’ be 12 months, or up to 12 months but no longer, just checking now, the probation period with terms needs to be in your contract.

Yes in my job probation is specified as six months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

This is nonsense. It amazes me that people spout this sort of stuff (probably based on their own experience in one employment) with zero knowledge of the facts. I just hope that people on here don't take this sort of rubbish as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Incorrect.

My old job was probation for three months for everyone unless stated otherwise, then became permanent.

Advertisement