Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nails breaking after manicure

Options
  • 17-02-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭

I got a professional manicure for the first time recently at a hen party, but my nails are in bits since! I removed the polish after about a week as it was chipping and in the week since then, I've had about 3-4 broken nails. I've never had strong nails, but this number of breaks in a small space of time is well above average for me!

We just got regular nail polish, no shellac or anything like that. I polish my own nails at home on a semi-regular basis and have never had this trouble. The only thing I can think of is that the buffing may have weakened them? I've had never had this done before and in case I'm mixing up the terms, I'm taking about the part where she used some sort of file/buff across the surface of my nails. So I'm left with very small scratch marks going horizontally across my nails. Is this normal? At the time she said that this would help the polish last longer (imo it didn't) and I feel these little scratches have weakened my nails and this is causing them to break more easily.

I'm getting married later in the year and was planning to get my nails done before the wedding. I'm torn though, as my first experience wasn't as good as I'd hoped! I don't want to be battling broken nails while away on our honeymoon :P Would I be better off just doing my nails myself for the wedding? Or did I just get a bad/rushed job because it was a large group for a hen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

There shouldnt be scratches on your nails after buffing. Buffing is done to even out the surface of the nail and dull the shine so the varnish can last a little bit longer. The buffer should be gentle so as not to cause any damage to the nail.
    It sounds as if she thinned your nails out by removing the top layer. Ive had this happen a couple of times before in nail salons. This has never happened in a good salon were the technicians were properly trained.
    Nail technicians and beauty therapists are unregulated and can work with little to no training at all.
    Do your research before getting your nails done again and dont just go to anyone because theyre cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks Airyfairy! I am surprised, because this was a well known / popular nail salon (don't want to name and shame though).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place in Dublin city centre?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Nails and 5th Avenue on Wicklow St are good. You should look at Vinylux or Shellac for the wedding, if you want to guarantee them lasting.

Thanks a mill Twee!

I don't really know much about Shellac and never even heard of Vinylux tbh :o

How long do they last and do you need to get them removed professionally as well? Is the nail weakened afterwards?

Vinylux comes off like regular polish, but should last a solid week. It's usually about a fiver extra on top of a normal file & polish.

Shellac is bonded to the nail and will last 2-3 weeks, but it does need to be professionally removed. Expect to pay €25-32 in city centre salons for application.

I get shellac and would only notice a weakening of nails if I've had it on and replaced a few months in a row. A once off shouldn't damage your nails, assuming you get proper removal.

Side note, Shellac is a brand name, Gelish is another popular brand. I had a random brand gel polish manicure before it was impossible to get off! I went to a different salon for removal as it was more convenient and they were like what the **** did you do 😂 she nearly had to chisel is off me... Oops!

• Advertisement

Great, thanks so much for all that, as I'm completely clueless!!

I'm conscious that we'll probably be going on honeymoon soon after the wedding and it could be for a few weeks (nothing booked, but that's the plan). So a bit worried about having to get the Shellac removed while I'm away :/ I guess it depends on what country we end up in and if a local place could squeeze me in.

A lot of food for thought though! Just looking up the places you recommended and there are so many options... chocolate manicure? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Twee. wrote: »

I had a random brand gel polish manicure before it was impossible to get off! I went to a different salon for removal as it was more convenient and they were like what the **** did you do �� she nearly had to chisel is off me... Oops!

I had that same experience! Took her 40 minutes just to get it off, and my nails were in bits after it.

I second Fifth Avenue - I use there or Oslo Beauty, and I regularly get manicures. Have moved more towards Vinylux now though.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question... but what do you do immediately after you've had the manicure to avoid it smudging straight away?

At the hen party, there were so many of us that we were all just hanging around in a big group for ages, so by the time we got our coats etc my nails were dry. But for a regular appointment, do you hang around inside the salon for 20mins afterwards to make sure they're at least touch dry before risking messing them up with coats, digging out bus tickets etc?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last time I got my nails done, the girl said basically no-one gets normal polish any more because it’s almost impossible not to smudge it as soon as you leave the salon. For a gel polish, they are cured under the UV lamp so they won’t smudge or anything, but if you get normal polish, you’re just sent on your way as soon as they’re done. A conscientious technician may offer to help you get your money/card out of your wallet but otherwise you’re pretty much on your own to wait for them to set on your own time.

Ah ok, thanks Faith! In that case if I want regular polish, I'd probably just be better off just doing myself at home instead of in a salon. At least I can just plonk myself down on the couch for as long as I want there without worrying about getting home without touching/smudging anything.

I'll consider the gel/shellac though. Would there be any issues if I kept it on for say 4 weeks though if I can't find somewhere to get it taken off while I'm away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

woodchuck wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place in Dublin city centre?

I go to Adina in Dublin Hairdressers by the Mater hospital, she is sooooo good. An absolute perfectionist and has all the time in the world for you, also she is extremely careful about nail health. Would never go to anyone else now!

woodchuck wrote: »
    Ah ok, thanks Faith! In that case if I want regular polish, I'd probably just be better off just doing myself at home instead of in a salon. At least I can just plonk myself down on the couch for as long as I want there without worrying about getting home without touching/smudging anything.

I'll consider the gel/shellac though. Would there be any issues if I kept it on for say 4 weeks though if I can't find somewhere to get it taken off while I'm away?

No issue with keeping it on for that long, only that it'll start to chip or lift after about two weeks, it won't damage your nails or anything.

Depends where you're heading to but I had a load of manicures around Vietnam and they were all perfect.

The odd time I get just a file and paint I'll leave my jacket on and pay before I sit down, less risk for smudging!

The odd time I get just a file and paint I'll leave my jacket on and pay before I sit down, less risk for smudging!

OMG, that's so simple, but never would have occurred to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

This - I always get normal polish, I have very weak nails and sensitive nail beds, so have stopped getting shellac. When I get normal polish, I always pay beforehand (they ask you if you want to do this), leave my coat on, and they leave me sit there for at least 10 minutes after applying. Vinylux seems to dry faster than Essie or OPI in my experience, and they will check if they are touch dry before I leave. Just no sticking my hands in pockets etc. for another 15 minutes afterwards really. I never smudge!

Advertisement