Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hive Install

• 17-02-2020 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi Folks,

I have an oil boiler (Firebird) with separate hot water tank.

There are 2 heating zones, Upstairs & Downstairs, both zones have motorised valves.

The timer clock is a Sangamo Powersaver select,
    https://www.sangamo.co.uk/products/powersaver-select

This is just power in - power out! (to Boiler & control box)

Once the heat is on, hot water is on.

Is it possible to setup a hive on this type of system?

I can get power direct to the control box & connect the cables at the existing controller to create a circuit, but how would Hive wire up?

Any help/guidance appreciated.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Sounds like you dont have hot water control and motorised valves aren't signalling to the boiler (ie. the microswitches aren't wired up)

What I would usually recommend here, is have an installer fit a 3rd motorised valve for your hotter (and a bypass valve) and get hem wired up so they communicated with your boiler, then install a Hive Multi Zone, to get the most out of your controls, independently time and temperature control of both heating zones and hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

How do you have two zones if you can only switch it on with a single switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 khennessy

Thanks guys, each zone is controlled by a motorised valve from room thermostats

Do both zones just come on at the same time? What kind of cable links them back to the boiler or timeclock?
    Sounds like you really need a plumber to take a look at this for you.

Both zones get heat at the same time (as does water), but if stat hit temp the valve closes thus allowing other zone hit temp.

A twin & earth cable links them back to the time clock, (on output side with boiler output)

• Advertisement

Hive stats will be able to control them independently so.
    It'll probably be a lot more efficient way than turning heating on and adjusting stats depending on where you want heat.

Effects wrote: »
    Hive stats will be able to control them independently so.
    It'll probably be a lot more efficient way than turning heating on and adjusting stats depending on where you want heat.

Thanks but how would it wire up, I presume I would need to cross link the Hot water & heating

From memory, but might need to be rectified.

Both Hive stats link to the receiver wirelessly, which would be placed in the hot press where your valves are. You'll need separate power for the receiver.
    The receiver can then be linked to turn on the boiler via power cable that's coming up from the boiler to the hot press.

I'm presuming you have a junction box containing the cables from your valves and stats, etc.?

you'll need to wire it up as a 3 channel 's-plan' only using wireless stats, and instead of a 3 channel controller you will have a single and a dual receiver

503224.png

Effects wrote: »
    From memory, but might need to be rectified.

Both Hive stats link to the receiver wirelessly, which would be placed in the hot press where your valves are. You'll need separate power for the receiver.
    The receiver can then be linked to turn on the boiler via power cable that's coming up from the boiler to the hot press.

I'm presuming you have a junction box containing the cables from your valves and stats, etc.?

There is a junction box, image attached! Grey cables are power in and out to stats. Blacks are out to pumps.

• Advertisement

As I posted above, you will need to convert to the wiring diagram, and you will eliminate your room stats as Hive stats are wireless.

Advertisement