Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Debit/Credit Card Questions

• 17-02-2020 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

Currently using my AIB Visa credit card to pay for things in shops, online etc.

However, I was thinking about activating my Visa Debit card and transferring all subscriptions over to it as well as paying for items etc.

Just wondering what is the process here. Do I just pay for something with my debit card or do I have to activate it.
    I know that means that I will have to have the money in my account as opposed to being able to have it sitting on the card (Visa credit) but I think it would be easier to manage.
    Also, is it just a €30 yearly fee for the Debit card when activated?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I think the yearly fee is cheaper, but there is a 20c transaction fee for most people I think?

https://aib.ie/content/dam/aib/personal/docs/fees-and-charges/a-guide-to-fees-and-charges-for-personal-accounts.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Stamp Duty is lower on a debit card, but the debit card has a transaction fee, whereas the credit card does not.

For me, it cheaper to use the credit card for "buying things" and use the debit card for cash withdrawls, but everyone milage will vary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Get yourself a Revolut card and avoid charges for point of sale transactions. You can top up the Revolut card by transferring funds from your bank account or via your debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Thanks folks. Someone said if you have at least €2500 in your account, it makes you exempt from transaction charges. Is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

S.G.M. wrote: »
    However, I was thinking about activating my Visa Debit card and transferring all subscriptions over to it as well as paying for items etc.

Just wondering what is the process here. Do I just pay for something with my debit card or do I have to activate it.

Put it into an ATM machine and do a balance enquiry, that will activate it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Someone said if you have at least €2500 in your account, it makes you exempt from transaction charges. Is this true?

Yep, thats correct - https://aib.ie/our-products/current-accounts/A-way-to-bank-for-free

Advertisement