Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STG credit card, should I be charged in Euro or Stg?

• 17-02-2020 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭

I have a UK credit card that has no fees for using in the eurozone.

Sometimes when I use it in ROI I get asked do I want to be charged in stg or euro.

Does anyone know what option I should choose? What would be the best interms of cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

The best plan is usually get charged in the local currency, and let your bank do the conversion back to sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,135 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Always charge in the local currency or you will get a terrible rate on your home currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always charge in the local currency or you will get a terrible rate on your home currency.

As an update, I had reason to pay €800 the other day.

The terminal in the retailers showed it as £698. I took option to pay in Euro.

It appeared on my card today as £667. So a saving of £31 with the advice on here.
    Cheers!

Advertisement