Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can’t the Roma community integrate?

Options
  • 17-02-2020 11:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 10

Is it a decision on their part, or do we ostracise subconsciously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'd say it's centuries of moving around and not being welcome anywhere and thus falling totally out of synch with the rest of modern society.
    As annoying as they can be, it's kind of understandable the way that they are, and how they can get out of their current rut I have no idea. Everyone hates them in Ireland, I just feel sorry for them. We have our own ones here too, travellers, who should have less excuses for not integrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You could maybe understand the Roma not integrating.

What about our own travellers, born in the same towns and cities as us, Irish like us, go to school with us yet they don't integrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

2/10

Try harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

NIMAN wrote: »

What about our own travellers, born in the same towns and cities as us, Irish like us, go to school with us yet they don't integrate.

They go to primary school.
    If they went to secondary school many would integrate, that's why their parents prevent this from happening.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 PanMyHans

NIMAN wrote: »

I think the traveller situation is quite different. They absolutely do not want to integrate and never will. Enda Kenny made it even worse giving them minority status, which essentially increased the us vs them divide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Us 'settled' folk are just obsessed with integration and bending over backwards to spend money to help and not offend when in fact these people have no real interest or want to integrate but theyll take whatevers going cause its free

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seriously you need to ask.... They're thieving us big time....

Free travel and genuine new credit card type issued by government or if they pay they're all under 16 as they use child leap cards as us drivers weren't falling for the 40 or 50 cent in copper passing as a €2.15 fare or that.....

They are a very well ran organisation and make good money at the aggressive begging, collecting hand outs of charities and so on, dropped of at locations, free housing, free legal aid, so much much more....

Many investigation and followed them to their homes in likes of Romania and they live in mansions..... A lot of what you see here is for show.... I've yet to see one malnourished or dying from starvation....

Career criminal and they're born and bread into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

tuxy wrote: »
    They go to primary school.
    If they went to secondary school many would integrate, that's why their parents prevent this from happening.
    why would they want to integrate ? they have their own type of lifestyle and its suites them.

oceanman wrote: »
    why would they want to integrate ? they have their own type of lifestyle and its suites them.

They do and it includes high suicide rates, high domestic violence rates and low life expectancy.

They do and it includes high suicide rates, high domestic violence rates and low life expectancy.

Roma are you sure???

See much more elders

• Advertisement

Roma are you sure???

See much more elders

I was replying to a post about our own travelers.
    The thread is still new so you might be able to find it.....

I was replying to a post about our own travelers.
    The thread is still new so you might be able to find it.....

Got you, missed that.

They are given huge amounts of help and free education but choose to leave or are basically forced to...

This shouldn't be tolerated and they should be made to finish education or get apprenticeship or further studies....

The way it is isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why would they want to integrate ,I'd imagine they would be expected to earn their own way and get jobs and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

which the seem happy not to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Ah no

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's a completely incompatible culture and it's a Europe-wide problem. It's not just the Roma. There are many people living here who will never integrate because their own culture is fundamentally at odds with our own. The powers that be don't seem concerned about this though. In Paris and London they have fully resourced teams dedicated to 'culturally sensitive' crimes like chopping up kids genitalia, marrying kids, rape, beating up and killing family members who don't share your views etc.

I do have a great deal of sympathy for our domestic traveller population, their culture was completely obliterated by the welfare state and pop culture consumerism, which they weren't ready for. They were once a resourceful people who recycled metals and had many manual skills. Those traditions are gone now and it's all YouTube call out videos, welfare and largess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's a completely incompatible culture and it's a Europe-wide problem. It's not just the Roma. There are many people living here who will never integrate because their own culture is fundamentally at odds with our own. The powers that be don't seem concerned about this though. In Paris and London they have fully resourced teams dedicated to 'culturally sensitive' crimes like chopping up kids genitalia, marrying kids, rape, beating up and killing family members who don't share your views etc.

I do have a great deal of sympathy for our domestic traveller population, their culture was completely obliterated by the welfare state and pop culture consumerism, which they weren't ready for. They were once a resourceful people who recycled metals and had many manual skills. Those traditions are gone now and it's all YouTube call out videos, welfare and largess.

Large swatches of the population are only a few generations past skills which are also now obsolete

Small farmers and farm labourers
    Blacksmiths

Times change, you either change too or get left behind, travellers elected to be professional victims but are absolutely not to be pitied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

I think society has down the travellers. Its us who need to make them an inclusive part of society. The in fighting needs to be sorted out by our authorities and young travellers need to be made welcome and not ostracised. They are human after all and depression is rife among their population. A serious effort on our part needs to be adopted to include them and make them feel they have a future and not be sneered at or looked down upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Liamo57 wrote: »
    I think society has down the travellers. Its us who need to make them an inclusive part of society. The in fighting needs to be sorted out by our authorities and young travellers need to be made welcome and not ostracised. They are human after all and depression is rife among their population. A serious effort on our part needs to be adopted to include them and make them feel they have a future and not be sneered at or looked down upon.

There is a huge criminal element amongst travellers. I despise how they treat animals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Liamo57 wrote: »
    Its us who need to make them an inclusive part of society. The in fighting needs to be sorted out by our authorities and young travellers need to be made welcome and not ostracised.

What about the majority of travellers that don't want to integrate into our society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Went to school with some very sound travellers. Never had a problem they were more civil than most kids. I'm friends with a few travellers now through music. They're all independent minded enough not like it's a cult. I'd try take a Roma person on a case by case basis don't know any but until you've a bad experience with someone personally you can't be putting them in boxes too hastily.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PanMyHans wrote: »
    Is it a decision on their part, or do we ostracise subconsciously?
    If this is quality of discussion you wish to initiate on this site you will very quickly have posting privileges removed for trolling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement