Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Probably paying ~€1500-€2000 too much. Have you looked at "solar as a service"? They do very competitive deals for smaller installations.

Your usage (3000kwhr) is pretty low for 2x people who are at home most of the day. Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's expensive.

You can get 7 panels for 2400 after grant from a solar as a service provider mentioned here. Add 400 for an extra panel. Pm me for details

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

I have a quote now that I’m happy to pull the trigger on. Are you guys getting smoke or heat alarms installed in the attic with these systems? What is recommended does anyone know?

Don't think anyone has ever asked. Not a crazy idea. I wasn't planning myself, but not that you bring it up, €20 down in woodies could be worse spent. I did put in a remote temperature reader

Suplong Fridge Freezer Thermometer Indoor Digital Temperature Sensor Fridge Thermometer Waterproof With 2 Wireless Sensor Easy to Read LCD Display (White-3) : Amazon.co.uk: Large Appliances

But that was more for me that I wanted to know the temperature that the attic gets to in the dead of winter as well as the high summer. Battery packs like 20-25C or thereabouts, and while they will work quite happily in cold/hot, they don't like sub-zero and many have little heaters in them to bring them up to temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have a smoke alarm in the attic, not just due to the solar, there's plenty of electrics etc up there so no harm in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

No harm to have them, if it makes you feel better then why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yes mixing orientations while panels are facing the same direction should not be an issue.

You do not want to mix different types and watts of panels. You want to check their operating voltage and currents. Worst case you could damage a panel. Best case all panels get dragged down to the lowest voltage or current and don't perform optimally.

The gap question was already answered 20cm and 50cm. You can also check the regulations on the SEAI grant page.

No reason not to use larger panels. Go with whatever has the highest watts/euro or whatever fits your roof best.

Changing to a solar aware charger will mean that when your panels are producing more than you are consuming the extra electricity will charge the car if connected. You don't need to do that and the current charger would work fine with solar. I assume you also have a priority switch as having the charger and shower on at the smae time can cause issues. One advantage of the Zappi - the only solar "aware" charger is that it comes with in-built load sensing so you don't need an additional priority switch.

If I were you I would go for two pumped showers. Get a pump that can feed two showers at the same time. The water heating will be done by immersion/boiler. Pumped is better than Power which is much better than electric (all else being equal).

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

First off, thanks to MAULBROOK, bullit_dodger and gomamochi1 for the PMs with advice. It has cut thousands off the quotes I got.

Recap - 4 quotes in total in order I received them (No diverter needed and all include Vat but have not had the Grant removed - so 3K to come off all prices)

Option 1 and 2 are out for obvious reasons. 3 has had the Caps removed 😉 so you can guess the supplier and is the front runner. Opt 4 is interesting (wife's favourite also) but I am worried about an earlier comment re. the battery (Dr Phil?) and this video review of 4 months post install mentions s/w issues which is worrying due to the App being the only way to interact with the system (Inverter does not have a control panel from what I can tell). Givenergy Battery 4 month update - lots of potential - YouTube

1.    6.5kw system (18 x panels, 6kw solis inverter, 5kw Sonnen Battery) €16,900

2.      6.08 kW system (16x Jinko Panels, 6 kW Inverter Huawei, Battery Huawei  5 kWh) €13,950

3.      5.4 kw system (16 panels Ja solar, 5kw.hybrid solis inverter, 4.8 kw pylon tec. Battery, Wi fi dongle) €10500

4.      6.84kw system (18 panel qcells, 5.0kw givenergy hybrid inverter, 8.2kwh givenergy battery) €11,599.70

I am going to pull the trigger tomorrow on Option 3 as it stands. Plan to phone Opt 3 and 4 Installers with a few questions before I do.

4 is certainly a good price. It was me who mentioned the Givenergy batteries, but don't take that as gospel. I just know that on various Facebook pages etc I've seen quite a few complaints about them not working properly. Of course you'll always get people who will find fault with anything, but I've never seen complaints about Pylontech or other types.

But as I say, it is a good price at €8.6k after grant. 5kW inverter on a near 7kW system though, bit undersized?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Assume they are all pre grants? Still think you're overpaying by quite a bit tbh. I'll send you my installer details if you want.

Regarding no.4. You'll probably need feedback on that brand. That would be my pick of those quotes if i knew the battery and inverter were a good standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Thank you but hold on, get the 6kw Inverter, feck all in the price difference and it will give you more capacityif you want to expand in the future. .Thats all. Option 3 👍

How would 3 or 4 be considered too expensive? Bang on the €1k/1kWh target or even below it in number 4's case.

I'd probably go 3 because of the equipment used and the fact that I know the company, but they're both good value.

The €1k/1kWh target isn't something I ever heard of outside of this forum! It should be the max target imo.

I'm only comparing it to what I paid tbh. Bigger system, albiet with smaller battery. Even so, mine was at least 1k cheaper, maybe even 1.5k. That was in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Is it possible to pin a post to this thread? or even edit the title to mention €1k/kWh as the benchmark?

Disclaimer: I've a Givenergy battery enroute.

I'd a good look around before pulling the trigger myself and not worried about it. Like any piece of equipment you get there's a warranty with it. Givenery's warranty is 10 years. Sure, nobody wants to RMA something, but that's what warranties are there for (if needed). Sad reality is a small percentage of hardware has faults which go undetected from the manufacture.

Got a Samsung TV arrived out of the box 6 months ago. Sound was terrible when turned up over 30 (out of a max 100). Turned out dodgy audio subboard, fixed for free from them. Happens with all hardware - that said, if we were seeing a LOT of RMA's, that would be a cause for concern, but I've not seen an abundant amount from what I've checked.

Might be worth killing the 2020 in the title too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Ha ha maybe the even years are the secret to success. PM incoming about your installer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Hi 6,

Would you mind sharing your installer details with me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 adropofred

Thanks for your reply garo.

I was reading some comments in the EV forum and it sounds like the the Solar aware charger (Zappi) will pause charging when there is no excess but a non solar aware (eg. Garo) will keep charging and therefore take it from the grid at the high rate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Off grid power, and safe isolation from the grid, generally its by using a generator switch for example:

1: would be the grid, the ESB feed and 2 would be the Backup power source (your inverter, generator)

Where to put this is then the issue. Anything like this needs to be idiot proof. If its installed before your main consumer unit, that will change over the whole house, but the issue lies then with the likes of the oven and other high draw devices that could trip out your inverter.

Also you cant feed a hybrid inverter its own power. (I'm sure theres failsafes in the inverter but better safe than sorry).

So going on that, a sub board (another consumer unit) installed beside your main consumer unit with the changeover switch inbetween (above, below, whatever). Power is then taken from the main consumer unit to the changeover switch and then onto the sub board.

The circuits you want to switch over are then moved from your main consumer unit to the sub board. Eg maybe a ring or 2 and some lights. You will still have to be wary of limits of the inverter. *Also the fireman switch will need to get power from this sub board.

A sub board is generally a better option, prevents high loads from being powered from the battery, doesn't touch the main tails, prevents the power being back fed to the inverter. There is automatic/interlocked change over switches/relays available.

Cost? No idea, Prob will take an electrician a good bit of a day to get everything done, tested etc as most likely circuits will need to be extended into the new board, a new cable ran from the attic into the changeover switch,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Seaswim

Hi,

I have a few questions that I would value help on. I have got 3 quotes for PV panels and I am a bit overwhelmed with all the information - trying to figure out who to go with, battery or not, is it worth paying more for different brands/suppliers, go now or wait until next year as the grants will still be available. My usage is approx 5,500KwH. I have 2 thermal solar panels on south facing roof and 3 velux windows.

1) Nationwide Supplier. Has suggested that I can only fit 8 panels on roof within SEAI guidelines due to space required between velux and thermal panels. I could add more later if needed as would not be subject to guidelines. No other supplier has mentioned this. Has anyone come across this issue?

• 2.92kw system ( 8 *365w Longi, 5kw Soltaro Hybrid Inverter Battery) €10,500 - Grant €2,650 = €7,850

2) Local Supplier- in business since 2019 - has a lot of installations locally.

• A. 4.32kw system (12*360w SolarWatt, 5kWh Solax X1 Hybrid Inverter Battery +basic changeover manual switch) €11,245 - Grant €3,000 = €8,245
    • B. 4.32kw system (12*360w SolarWatt, 4kW Huawei Invertor, NO Battery) €7,995 - Grant €1,800 = €6,195

3) Smaller Supplier - started this year based in 100km away from me - installed for family member

• A. 3.8kw system (10*380w Jinko, 4kW Sofar Invertor, 2.4kWh PylonTech Battery + EDDI) = €8,950 - Grant €2,700 = €6,250
    • B. 3.8kw system (10*380w Jinko, 4kW Huawei Invertor, NO Battery +EDDI) = €7,500 - Grant €1,800 = €5,700

Thank you!

That is correct. A non-solar aware would be a lot of micromanaging if you want to use your PV generated electricity to charge the car.

If you want to use PV to charge the car, go with a Zappi. You can also configure the Zappi to take a small amount from the grid so that you don't send 1.2kW to the grid because you need 1.2kW to charge the car.

1 is nonsense. 2 can be bettered. 3A seems the best quote. I would ask them to install 4 additional panels (5.32kW system) and up the inverter to a 5kW inverter and then price it. If you get that under 6500 go for it. (Note grant will go up to 3000 if you install 4kW).

I echo what garo says. Good advice there.

Where are you located.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Geck

Hey guys,

Would anybody be able to PM me a company they'd reccomend I try a quote from? Currently based in Meath. Have been looking around online but have read a fair bit of this thread and am seeing allot of pricey quotes so I'm not sure who to trust really.

My apoligies if this kind of comment is not allowed.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What size system are you after.

There is a solar as a service company not far from you offering a 2.5 kW system for 2400 after grant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement