Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

championc wrote: »
    The new v3 Zappi2 (3.033) and Hub (3.021) software was finally released earlier this week, although I certainly never heard anything relating to it needing to resolve issues around making it more reliable or faster.

See the 2nd post in this thread...
    https://myenergi.info/server-status-ok-major-incident-recovery-complete-t44.html

They are changing the way their backend database works to make the reporting quicker. The weekly and monthly reports have never really worked reliably for me. It appears I became a user after they introduced this timezone change so maybe it was better before but its basically disabled now.

I also believe they are moving to new servers to improve speed. The app has been very hit and miss for me. When its working its very very good and reasonably accurate (cross checked it with other meters I have) but its just not reliable/fast enough at the moment.

I think they will resolve it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Oh no, that was his point, he didn't want to sell me an oversized unit. He said if you only end up using 50% of what a 2kw system makes, then selling you a 4kw system is point less as you'll never use it. And will double the time it takes to get paid back.

That there is a big fall off in return once you go above 2kw. And unless you spend your life micromanaging everything you will be years waiting to pay it off.

From a 2kw to a 4kw system should possibly only increase a 2kw system cost by 50% at most. You aren't doubling the inverter and cabling and most importantly the labour.

These guys install these systems in one day. So whether it's 10 or 20 panels to be installed, it's pretty immaterial.

With a 2kw system, every time you use any appliance like the kettle, washing machine, dishwasher, dryer, you'll be drawing energy from the grid. And on a cloudy day (even if dry), you'd be lucky to be generating 200w each hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And this morning it's loopy again.

Wife put the dryer on before we left, just checked the 2 apps.

Solis:
    Current use - 2.03kw
    Generating - 600w
    From grid - 1.41kw

Myenergi:
    Current use - 1.2kw
    Generating - ?
    From grid - 1.2kw

Is the myenergi hub app generally unreliable? It seems to jump all over the place. One minute it shows 1.2 current use and 1.2 coming from the grid. The next it says I'm exporting 0.3kw which makes no sense at all.

Also it doesn't seem to be reading my production at all, or am I using it wrong?

As others have said they're both fairly rough, because they use CT-clamps. And the Solis has a far longer lag. If you wanted something more realtime you could invest in a geo Minim, which uses an LED-sensor (will work with your meter). I have it out of sheer geekiness, together with about five other monitors and think it's probably the best, although it cannot distinguish import from export.

Enjoy all the fantastic new kit and congratulations to you for doing your bit for the environment which as far as I'm concerned is what this is really all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

On the Zappi, go to MENU > OTHER SETTINGS > ADVANCED > 0000 > CT CONFIG

or MENU > OTHER SETTINGS > ADVANCED > 0000 > LINKED DEVICES > DEVICES > HARVI

Whichever one of the CT Clamps, which is linked onto the AC link from the Inverter, should be set to Generation Only. You should then have another somewhere set to Grid

I don't have a Harvi.

Texted the installer, he says there is only 1 clamp in place, to read the grid power. He says he'll add another one at the weekend to sort the rest.

Although won't he need 2? One for the generation and one for the export to the battery?

This is what the myenergi app is showing me:
    521534.jpg

But I want it to also show generation and battery amounts, like here:
    521535.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Hi Guys - thoughts on the following

14 SolarWatt 320W Panels
    Solax HV 4.48 kWp Hybrid Battery
    iBoost Diverter (€450 added in price below)
    Solax X1 Hybrid Inverter 3.7

€8445 inclusive of the 3000 SEAI Grant (€11445 Gross)

You bought a Hybrid Inverter from memory ? You cannot measure the power to the battery because it's inside the inverter. I (and the likes of Tesla Powerwall owners) can see our battery in and out power because it's it's own separate inverter.

521555.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Hi Guys - thoughts on the following

14 SolarWatt 320W Panels
    Solax HV 4.48 kWp Hybrid Battery
    iBoost Diverter (€450 added in price below)
    Solax X1 Hybrid Inverter 3.7

€8445 inclusive of the 3000 SEAI Grant (€11445 Gross)

Ripoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

And this morning it's loopy again.

Wife put the dryer on before we left, just checked the 2 apps.

Solis:
    Current use - 2.03kw
    Generating - 600w
    From grid - 1.41kw

Myenergi:
    Current use - 1.2kw
    Generating - ?
    From grid - 1.2kw

Is the myenergi hub app generally unreliable? It seems to jump all over the place. One minute it shows 1.2 current use and 1.2 coming from the grid. The next it says I'm exporting 0.3kw which makes no sense at all.

Also it doesn't seem to be reading my production at all, or am I using it wrong?

https://m.ginlong.com/login.html

try the desk top version, it has a little more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Another option is to login to the IP address of the Solis Wifi dongle to get real time info.

You bought a Hybrid Inverter from memory ? You cannot measure the power to the battery because it's inside the inverter.
    Ah, poop.

Well I'll at least get it set up for myenergi to view the production. I would have thought that the Zappi at the very least needed to know what was being produced so it would know when to charge via excess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Zappis don't work with hybrid inverters. Or has that problem been addressed by Myenergi at this stage?

unkel wrote: »
    Zappis don't work with hybrid inverters. Or has that problem been addressed by Myenergi at this stage?

Yep, nothing yet. You'd need to fudge it from the car's end by maybe setting the car to charge at a particular minimum rate, if that option was available, in order to use what would otherwise have gone into the battery

unkel wrote: »

Don't work at all? I thought the system could still be set to prioritise the charger ahead of grid export? As in this post:
    Another quick question on priorities, I've asked some of this before but just confirming and also understanding the output as well as the input.

When producing, the order for where power goes is:
    1 - House/current usage
    2 - battery storage
    3 - car via Zappi (if over 1.4kw available)
    4 - export to grid

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have had no issues using the zappi with a hybrid inverter so far. Once it sees power going to the grid it diverts to the car (provided there's enough).

What was the issue they were meant to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

Don't work at all? I thought the system could still be set to prioritise the charger ahead of grid export? As in this post:

You should be fine. My Zappi and Solis-hybrid inverter work together pretty well. Priorities exactly per your post. If you’re having issues try programming a small export margin on the Zappi, and if you have the hub installing latest Zappi firmware.

Thanks Coltrane & Mickeroo

Not an issue yet, we had nice weather last week and up until Wednesday when the system was installed.

Since then I haven't seen an inch of blue in the sky and its been steadily raining, lol.

I'm still generating enough for most of my daytime use, but bugger all excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Hi,
    Tigo optimizers the monitoring software anyone use this? Views and cost? I know the optimizers aren’t too expensive but wondering about access to monitor them and cost..

For a while I thought had cursed the entire north west. My install finished on Wednesday afternoon, and the sun proceeded to hide behind clouds for the next 2 days.

Finally peeked out today, and I was generating a steady 3kWh most of the afternoon. I even managed a free run of the tumble dryer.

Just took these pictures, at 8pm.

521701.jpg

521702.jpg

521703.jpg

So I'll sod off now to the "Post your output" thread once I get a month's data behind me.

Overall I'm very happy with the system and the price. And apologies to anyone who sent a pm asking for installer details. I didn't really want to give a recommendation until it was all sorted. And I have a head like a bin so I forgot to reply to most.

And thanks again to all the knowledgeable heads here who answered my endless annoying questions and helped guide me to the end goal.

One more question for the PV owners here, does the obsession ever stop? I spent half the day checking the app, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

That's one hell of a system DrPhilG. I hope you won't torture Ken too much. I definitely found myself using the App a lot in the weeks after the install and micro-managing the "free" power. While July wasn't a particularly good month, May and June were fine and going by my recent 2-monthly electric bill of only €65, I think I managed it well. Best of luck with it. Glad you are happy.

• Advertisement

rx8 wrote: »
    That's one hell of a system DrPhilG. I hope you won't torture Ken too much. I definitely found myself using the App a lot in the weeks after the install and micro-managing the "free" power. While July wasn't a particularly good month, May and June were fine and going by my recent 2-monthly electric bill of only €65, I think I managed it well. Best of luck with it. Glad you are happy.

And thanks for the recommendation. They came recommended by yourself, gomamochi1 and winterman1234. So they clearly made an impression.

And don't worry, I'll leave Ken alone. After he comes to tweak things this weekend that is, lol.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What type of system did you select in the app?

Mine shows the battery charge too when it's set to storage system. Going by another thread it might depend on a newer version of the dongle that has an antenna on it:

8LseCeh.jpg

Ahh, I think I hit self consumption. I'll change it now and see what happens.

Actually my installer is here now making some adjustments so I'll pick his brains

Bingo, I now have the battery option, thanks.

What is the "back up" icon for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

With a 2kw system, every time you use any appliance like the kettle, washing machine, dishwasher, dryer, you'll be drawing energy from the grid. And on a cloudy day (even if dry), you'd be lucky to be generating 200w each hour.

That sounds like it would be very easy to use up? Surely just the fridge, freezer and air exchange unit would gobble up 100% of that. Never mind the pc and 3 monitors that are on all day too for work.

You might have a super hot day were you are not at home were you would generate more than is being used by the house, but we have 3 small kids and I work from home so are rarely away from the house.

(Just to clarify what the seller was saying. He was saying the house would use at least 50% of what the panels produced without much effort. Not that the panels would create 50% of what the house used. )

The cost is averaging out to €20 a month for ten years. For a 2.17kw system. I can put it on the ground so can face the perfect direction to maximize output.

What I'm trying to figure out is if it would produce and I could use it up, to save me €20off my bill. I pay 14.5 cent before vat for a unit now. So let's say 16 cent.

What I'm trying to figure out is if it would produce and I could use it up, to save me €20off my bill. I pay 14.5 cent before vat for a unit now. So let's say 16 cent.

You’re making it too complicated for yourself.

Get an energy monitor and see what your background load is over an extended period and work from there.

Then get some real world stats of what a given kWp system will generate each month and use that for your calculations using your background load as the base and then estimate how much above your base load you are likely to use.

Things like fridges and computer monitors are not that big a consumer. The fridge isn’t on all the time and when it is it’s relatively low power for short periods of time.

You need to get an energy monitor as every house and lifestyle is different so unless you work off your figures you will be misled by other people’s figures.

• Advertisement

My only frustration is that I didn't do this years ago.

Dishwasher and tumble dryer both running, still producing so much that I was starting to export.

WiFi switch for the immersion has a 1 hour boost so I switched that on. Still almost producing enough to power it all.

521764.jpg

Then again the quotes I almost pulled the trigger on a few years back were nowhere near as good as the one I ended up with.

Not 100% sure but I think that's the power the inverter itself is using. I also think that would show consumption for the other back up AC out which you can use in a power outage(if you have a socket wired to it).

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I also think that would show consumption for the other back up AC out which you can use in a power outage(if you have a socket wired to it).

I thought I couldn't run off the system in an outage, due to the risk of feeding excess to the grid and frying some wee ESB man?

I thought I couldn't run off the system in an outage, due to the risk of feeding excess to the grid and frying some wee ESB man?

You can have a socket off the other AC connection on the inverter which can use the battery in a power outage, once the battery is drained you're done though.

What type of system did you select in the app?

Mine shows the battery charge too when it's set to storage system. Going by another thread it might depend on a newer version of the dongle that has an antenna on it:

8LseCeh.jpg
    How do you get the app to display your self use rate %?

• Advertisement

The % value relates to how full the battery is.

Mind you, i wonder as to what that Backup connection is ? I haven't see that before.

It's there on mine when I scroll down a bit from the diagram, think it showed up once I switched type to storage system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

It's there on mine when I scroll down a bit from the diagram, think it showed up once I switched type to storage system.

About to get mine installed over next couple weeks but just wondering what is the app you are all using and what systems is it for or a generic one?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

irishchris wrote: »
    About to get mine installed over next couple weeks but just wondering what is the app you are all using and what systems is it for or a generic one?

https://myenergi.com/product/myenergi-app/

Sorry didn’t see the recent ones it’s
    Solarman app on solis

The one with black writing on a white background, with blue tracking lines is certainly from the app solarman. In my case, the wifi dongle was installed in Sofar equipment

The black one with coloured rings is from MyEnergi

The one with black writing on a white background, with blue tracking lines is certainly from the app solarman. In my case, the wifi dongle was installed in Sofar equipment

The black one with coloured rings is from MyEnergi

App I'm using that I took the screenshot from is Solis Home, ginlong's own app for solis inverters.

And what's the "Back-up" thing ?

App I'm using that I took the screenshot from is Solis Home, ginlong's own app for solis inverters.

assume this can only be used with solis inveter?

And what's the "Back-up" thing ?

No idea, best guess is it's the power the inverter itself is using.

Yeah, and you need the WiFi dongle attached to the inverter to use it.

No idea, best guess is it's the power the inverter itself is using.

Yeah, and you need the WiFi dongle attached to the inverter to use it.

Would there be a universal energy app for solar or has anyone got an idea if goodwe inverters do a monitoring app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

Quote which I’m starting to see is quite expensive

3500 (net of grant - can pay in monthly installments interest free which I like)

8 panels
    Inverter
    Eddi diverter

30 year warranty on panels
    15 year warranty on inverter (which I think is decent)

So the Zappi works now as desired?

PS: My obsession is still to end almost 1 year later. So I'm afraid you might be hooked for life.

checkcheek wrote: »
    Quote which I’m starting to see is quite expensive

3500 (net of grant - can pay in monthly installments interest free which I like)

8 panels
    Inverter
    Eddi diverter

30 year warranty on panels
    15 year warranty on inverter (which I think is decent)

Not a good quote. You are being "charged" for the interest-free loan over the odds. For 4500 net of grant you should be able to get 16 panels.

garo wrote: »
    So the Zappi works now as desired?

PS: My obsession is still to end almost 1 year later. So I'm afraid you might be hooked for life.

No the Zappi still isn't working. It's very odd.

The Zappi screen shows 0.00 all the way, as though it isn't getting any info from the systems as to what is coming in from production, or what is being used by the house etc. But the myenergi app IS showing some of that.

The app shows draw from or feed to the grid, draw by the house from the grid and power to the car.

It is not yet showing the production by the panels or the feed to the battery though.

For example if I plug the car in I'll get something like this:
    521896.jpg

Shows total grid draw and how much is going to the house and the car.

But even though the hub knows that, the Zappi doesn't.

Did your installer add the extra CT clamp and enable it in the Zappi menu?
    Until thats done you wont see any Solar production in the app and you will always see 0% in that middle circle as the Zappi doesnt know what Solar production you have.

You should probably start your own thread Phil, I think you'll have alot more questions to come not related to quotes! ;)

I tried entering in my Logger ID number and it said it was already connected. So it seems to me that the ginlong is also using the same source as the solarman app, which is solarmanpv.com

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Summer2020

My only frustration is that I didn't do this years ago.

Dishwasher and tumble dryer both running, still producing so much that I was starting to export.

WiFi switch for the immersion has a 1 hour boost so I switched that on. Still almost producing enough to power it all.

521764.jpg

Then again the quotes I almost pulled the trigger on a few years back were nowhere near as good as the one I ended up with.

What company did you go with for this?

I’m starting to think about getting a system like this and am a bit lost with all the terminology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

Summer2020 wrote: »

I’m starting to think about getting a system like this and am a bit lost with all the terminology.

PM Sent.

Summer2020 wrote: »

Iw as going to say PM sent, but it's the same guys that rx8 used so, "what he said".

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    You should probably start your own thread Phil, I think you'll have alot more questions to come not related to quotes! ;)

Your wish is my command.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058101518/1/#post114204317

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement