Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I think he is assuming everyone on this thread is a lunatic.

But honestly, unless your current install is not large enough to satisfy your electricity needs or your power needs go up dramatically why would you go through the expense of taking down old panels and putting up new ones? You'll never get payback on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have no intention of changing my panels unless I need to.

I may add 2 more at a push, but that's all. And realistically I probably have no need to. My current problem is managing significant excess (exported 18kWh the other day) so if anything, cheap storage would be more of a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

unkel wrote: »
    Ground mounted is far more expensive than roof fitted, takes up space and has a higher chance of being damaged. What made you decide to go ground mounted?

I definitely replied to this last night. :confused:
    They didn't want panels on roof - full stop. Simple as that. I did try to convince them at the time but they didn't want the front of their new house 'spoiled' by panels on the roof so they were going to put them on some elevated ground at rear of property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

garo wrote: »
    The panels need to connect to your inverter and then the inverter connects to your meter/fusebox. So you need to think about where you will keep your inverter. All you need is ducting right now so you can run power and cat5 cables without having to dig anything up. If you plan on a hot water diverter or a smart charger like Zappi, think about ducting to those too if needed.
    The panels have a claimed life of 25-30 years but they do degrade during that time albeit at a slow pace (well under 1% p.a.) Upper limit on ESB approved install size is 6kW but you can have more than 6kW of panels if your inverter is rated at 6kW or less.

Is the hot water diverter a feed to the immersion heater?
    I suppose some ducting for a car charging point would be sensible too.
    The plan would be to install the controls etc in a garage which is attached to the house. Built into the external garage wall is the meter box.

Are these installations typically 3-phase or single phase?
    What groundworks would be needed to get the network connection installed for exporting?

What ground area would be typically required for a 6kW system? Are the panels a std size?

Edit: I was looking on a UK based website (Naked solar) and they quote ~£52+VAT per panel for a roof mount. They also quote £200+VAT per panel for a steel ground mount system, £108+VAT per panel for the bins and seasonally adjustable mounts for £2,500+VAT for systems up to 29 panels - although they say it works out to be slightly less than the steel ground mount kit per panel so just under £200+VAT per panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They also quote £200+VAT per panel for a steel ground mount system

Yeah that plus the labour cost would bump the pay back period to over 30 years then...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

garo wrote: »
    expense of taking down old panels and putting up new ones?

I ain't having no strangers ever up on my roof :)

Is the hot water diverter a feed to the immersion heater?
    Yes.

I suppose some ducting for a car charging point would be sensible too.
    Indeed.

Are these installations typically 3-phase or single phase?
    Single phase

What groundworks would be needed to get the network connection installed for exporting?
    You just tie into the fusebox so the export happens via the main line coming in from the meter. That's why you are limited to 6kW.

What ground area would be typically required for a 6kW system? Are the panels a std size?

Panels are all slightly different size based on manufacturer and power rating.

What meter do the ESB use when you have Solar PV?
    I have a new night rate one and wondering if I'd need a different one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What meter do the ESB use when you have Solar PV?
    I have a new night rate one and wondering if I'd need a different one.

ESB dont do anything to the meter when you get Solar. All it is right now is that you have to let them know that you are getting Solar connected... they dont actually come onsite to do anything.... unless you are getting a Feed-in-tariff and want an import/export meter.... but no one is providing a FiT to new customers in Ireland so you wont be doing that either.

TL;DR... your existing day/night meter will do just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

KCross wrote: »
    ESB dont do anything to the meter when you get Solar. All it is right now is that you have to let them know that you are getting Solar connected... they dont actually come onsite to do anything.... unless you are getting a Feed-in-tariff and want an import/export meter.... but no one is providing a FiT to new customers in Ireland so you wont be doing that either.

TL;DR... your existing day/night meter will do just fine.

Oh they do come out, especially when you have a old mechanical meter that spins backwards.
    I managed to rewind the meter so far back I was in credit.
    Then the digital meter came and my fun was over, the basxards.
    Plus side i now have day/night readings.

A friend of mine managed to put them of for 3 months, bloody chancer. Just wished i thought of it.

If you have a very old mechanical metre put them off for as long as humanly possible, rewind that baby.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Oh they do come out, especially when you have a old mechanical meter that spins backwards.

:D

Maybe thats the only reason that you have to fill in that NC6 form then... they cross check that you have an up to date meter. If you do they dont come near you, if you have an old one they come out.

I managed to rewind the meter so far back I was in credit.
    Did they take it on the chin or did they look for the lost revenue?

:D

Maybe thats the only reason that you have to fill in that NC6 form then... they cross check that you have an up to date meter. If you do they dont come near you, if you have an old one they come out.

Did they take it on the chin or did they look for the lost revenue?

On the chin, I did nothing wrong and was above board.

NOTE TO ALL, they change like for like. Make sure you tell them to program it for day/night rate and alter your account to show the same.
    I just assumed it would happen.
    Same bloke came back out and just re programed the meter.

All it is right now is that you have to let them know that you are getting Solar connected...

I do??

First I've heard of it, lol. I've told them nothing.

Not sure if they figured it out since I sent them 19 fuppin kWh today.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I do??

Your installer will have done it. It’s a requirement of the grant. It’s just a simple form and send it off to ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I do??

That's the process. Your installer sends in a form as part of the documents provided to complete your grant application. No form to ESB no grant

• Advertisement

Ah gotcha. I thought it was something I had to do.

The installer is processing all the forms. I just did the initial application.

However, it should be noted for any budding DIYer that the NC-6 form only has to have the name of a general sparks on it, and does not need that person to be SEAI registered.

As for the reasoning, I believe it's because if there is a local fault, where maybe the voltage was looking strange, they would then know some possible sources of the abnomoly.

And alot of this process is to simply somewhat audit the equipment being installed, ensuring it was specifically IRELAND certified. It's not enough for it to be EN50438 Euro certified. Ireland as a modified version of the Euro standard.

Thanks.
    Good info.
    I plan a DIY install .probably next year.
    Sparks myself but not registered which is very annoying at times.

Anyone know details on when the feed in tarrif is coming in?

No firm details. Could come anytime and no idea of potential rates or anything. Could be years away even.

Anyone know details on when the feed in tarrif is coming in?

It was simply a reported agenda item in the Greens wishlist towards government formation. So even if it became one of the items of agreement, it's in the lap of the gods.

But it should be imminent since, after all, it's a government promise !!!

• Advertisement

Even if a FIT was available tomorrow, you would not get it until your export can be measured. You can pay the ESB to install an import / export meter but that would cost the equivalent of many years of FIT payment. Up front. So that's not a runner unless you are financially insane. So then you'd have to wait for a smart meter which will be fitted to all houses in Ireland for free, starting before the end of this year. Your house could be done in a few months time. Or in 2-3 years time

In other words, even best case scenario, we are quite a bit away from being paid for our excess electricity production...

unkel wrote: »
    Even if a FIT was available tomorrow, you would not get it until your export can be measured. You can pay the ESB to install an import / export meter but that would cost the equivalent of many years of FIT payment. Up front. So that's not a runner unless you are financially insane. So then you'd have to wait for a smart meter which will be fitted to all houses in Ireland for free, starting before the end of this year. Your house could be done in a few months time. Or in 2-3 years time

In other words, even best case scenario, we are quite a bit away from being paid for our excess electricity production...

Got my smart meter last month!

You are ready so! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

MAXFANTANA wrote: »

Did you pay to have it installed or part of the free national deployment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

Hi what is the normal percentage deposit people pay b4 instal?

Happy with quote etc just deposit seems steep at 45%.

instal will be in 3/4 weeks.

Thanks

lightson wrote: »
    Hi what is the normal percentage deposit people pay b4 instal?

instal will be in 3/4 weeks.

Thanks

I paid 25%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

E30M3 wrote: »
    I paid 25%

yeh that seems more reasonable.

Seems a lot to hand over b4 anything is done. I guess on the flip installers don't want to be chasing money after installation and waiting on cash I get that.

hmm

25% here too. One of the installers who quoted me wanted 75% lol

I just paid my balance yesterday, was waiting for him to come back and sort out my apps/monitoring etc.

Really ? I went for Day / Night rate in January and I was told that there no Day / Night Smart meter, so I have just a standard new digital meter
    lightson wrote: »

That would cover more than the cost of all of the kit

irishchris wrote: »
    Did you pay to have it installed or part of the free national deployment?

No just got a letter saying it would be done soon. A week later they showed up, knocked off the power for 15 mins and that was it installed. Pain free.

• Advertisement

So I am marking the 1 year anniversary of my PV install today. 4.8kW E/W with a 2.4kWh battery. My electricity meter shows 2555 units used in the last 366 days compared to ~5400 the year before. At 16c per unit that’s a saving of €456 for the year. Probably saved about 20€ on hot water costs too. At this rate about 13 years to go for breakeven assuming no FiT. I am probably getting an EV soon so that should take up some of the export but that only saves 8c.
    Production was 4.3MWh and I exported 1.54MWh to the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

Following this thread with interest.

Is there a list of preferred installers that people are satisfied with?

Has anyone taken up the Electric Ireland Solar offer?

Regards

Liam

Does anyone know offhand if it is possible for the Applicant to upload the BER to the SEAI grant site or does the installer have to do this. I got the BER carried out and have just received it back but when I signed in and looked to upload I drew a blank.

I can forward to the installer if not.

Rgds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

slayer91 wrote: »
    Hi,

Regards

Liam

PM SENT

E30M3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know offhand if it is possible for the Applicant to upload the BER to the SEAI grant site or does the installer have to do this. I got the BER carried out and have just received it back but when I signed in and looked to upload I drew a blank.

I can forward to the installer if not.

Rgds

My installer had a guy doing BER full-time for him,and he uploads all the paperwork himself. Send it on to him to look after.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alan McG

rx8 wrote: »
    PM SENT

Hi, I don't suppose you could forward me on the same list of details please? I'm currently looking to get solar, but hard to tell what's a reasonable price/installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

rx8 wrote: »
    PM SENT

Sorry to pile on but the same info would be great.

Look back a few pages at DrPhil's quote for guidance as to what is the price you should be paying

Hi,

Regards

Liam

Re the ESB, in all the posts i have seen I don't think the ESB offer was mentioned once.
    I had a look in the beginning and it was way ott on the price and as far as i can remember the wanted planning permission (god forbid) if you went over the 50% rule.

Dont bother would be my call. Very happy with the company i went with, a lot less bullshxt.

• Advertisement

No just got a letter saying it would be done soon. A week later they showed up, knocked off the power for 15 mins and that was it installed. Pain free.

what part of the country if you don't mind me asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Hi,

Regards

Liam

Hi, I got the ESB offer in March. 7 300w panels with inverter and diverter. Guys from Monaghan turned up on time, did the job nicely and I'm happy with it. €1080 deposit and 36 month at €120, (total €5400) and I just got my €1800 grant so €3600net price.

All working well but I would've put more up if they would let me but you had to have planning permission for more.

I'm think of adding a few more to the east side of the roof if i can get someone to do it, seems to be impossible to get a local installer.

what part of the country if you don't mind me asking

Ballincollig, Cork

Deagol wrote: »
    Hi, I got the ESB offer in March. 7 300w panels with inverter and diverter. Guys from Monaghan turned up on time, did the job nicely and I'm happy with it. €1080 deposit and 36 month at €120, (total €5400) and I just got my €1800 grant so €3600net price.

All working well but I would've put more up if they would let me but you had to have planning permission for more.

I'm think of adding a few more to the east side of the roof if i can get someone to do it, seems to be impossible to get a local installer.

Was there a battery if not that's daylight robbery. sorry.
    What size inverter did you get.

There are a few problems with Electric Ireland/ESBs solar PV offer.
    0)EI don't actually do the install, they have outsourced it to someone else.
    1) They only offer to install 2.1kW and without a battery. For more than that they insist on planning permission.
    2) The price is rather high for what you are getting. 3600 net for 7 300W panels and a non-hybrid inverter is rather underwhelming. You can get twice as many panels and a hybrid inverter plus battery installed for a good bt less than twice that amount.

Alan McG wrote: »
    Hi, I don't suppose you could forward me on the same list of details please? I'm currently looking to get solar, but hard to tell what's a reasonable price/installer.

Done

• Advertisement

sharper wrote: »
    Sorry to pile on but the same info would be great.

Sent also

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Can you still get the grants if you already got a grant for a ev charger. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

What size inverter did you get.

Didn't want the battery - I wanted the diverter. Inverter is 2.1kw.

They were the only company who didn't tell me it would be 2021 before they could look at the job. And they didn't need the whole payment up front which was important to me at the moment.

The only person who actually came was some chancer who tried to sell me air to heat "solar" panels that would pay for themselves in about 200 years from my calculations.

bod71 wrote: »
    Can you still get the grants if you already got a grant for a ev charger. Thanks.

Yes

+1

That's a brutal deal. Also they are muppets of the highest order that they installed a diverter. With such a small system, that diverter will never pay for itself.

For €5,400 others in here have had a 4kwp system with two 2.4kWh batteries installed...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement