Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

unkel wrote: »
    +1

That's a brutal deal. Also they are muppets of the highest order that they installed a diverter. With such a small system, that diverter will never pay for itself.

Again, it's no good saying it's a bad deal when every installer I rang said they weren't interested until at least 2021 - this was January 2020.

Biggest difference to me is Electric Ireland will stand over the system - lot of cowboys out there from what I researched. But by all means, let me know if you know anyone who will come out and upgrade it for me - I'm going to add more panels if I can get anyone out.

I wanted the diverter because we have pumped shower system and I didn't want to use oil boiler to heat it - preferable to me to use excess solar to heat the tank during the summer. Very happy with it so far. Electric bill has gone from c.€190 bimonthly to €120 and I have hot water when I need it 90% of the time without having to burn oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Deagol wrote: »
    Again, it's no good saying it's a bad deal when every installer I rang said they weren't interested until at least 2021 - this was January 2020.

Biggest difference to me is Electric Ireland will stand over the system - lot of cowboys out there from what I researched. But by all means, let me know if you know anyone who will come out and upgrade it for me - I'm going to add more panels if I can get anyone out.

I wanted the diverter because we have pumped shower system and I didn't want to use oil boiler to heat it - preferable to me to use excess solar to heat the tank during the summer. Very happy with it so far. Electric bill has gone from c.€190 bimonthly to €120 and I have hot water when I need it 90% of the time without having to burn oil.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

championc wrote: »
    Look back a few pages at DrPhil's quote for guidance as to what is the price you should be paying

Also the installer that rx8 has been sending people by PM, is the guy I used too.

Average production for August so far is north of 22kWh per day on a 6.2kw system.

Today was great, 28.6 generated, only 6.3 exported, 4 to the car, 3 to the hot water and enough washing/drying done to last a week.

Only imported 3.3kWh since midnight and the battery will not be empty til probably 4am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Also the installer that rx8 has been sending people by PM, is the guy I used too.

Average production for August so far is north of 22kWh per day on a 6.2kw system.

I think it's safe to say that you're happy with your new system. You could have the neighbours around to boil their kettles you're exporting so much free power.

rx8 wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say that you're happy with your new system. You could have the neighbours around to boil their kettles you're exporting so much free power.

See edit above, only exported 6 today. 18 was the wrist last Saturday.

See edit above, only exported 6 today. 18 was the wrist last Saturday.

Nice one. It takes a while to get to grips with managing the excess, and there's only so many clothes you can wash. Needless to say you'll be raking in the cash when the FIT arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Well I had 3 different boardsies recommend them. And I believe it was either unkle or KCross who described it as one of the best quotes seen here.

I'm happy so far although it's only been a few days. Producing a lot more than I expected on a crappy day in Donegal, 24kWh today.

DrPhilG can you PM me the installers name, what you got installed and what you paid if that's ok?

Sunny South East me hole, generated 6kw today. Brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

DrPhilG can you PM me the installers name, what you got installed and what you paid if that's ok?

Can you also include me in that PM, please.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Sunny South East me hole, generated 6kw today. Brutal

Dirty day in the NW too. 28.6 yesterday, down to 11.4 today lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Must be the grimest day in history in South Dublin - 1.46kw from my 3.6kw system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I looked at around 4-5PM and I was producing 158W at that moment. It was fully overcast, but not raining. That's about the worst I have seen for day time production in summer (4.1kwp mostly south and a bit west facing in Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Hi Guys - thoughts on the following

14 SolarWatt 320W Panels
    Solax HV 4.48 kWp Hybrid Battery
    iBoost Diverter (€450 added in price below)
    Solax X1 Hybrid Inverter 3.7

€8445 inclusive of the 3000 SEAI Grant (€11445 Gross)

Got updated quote from guys recommended here -
    14 JA Solar 340W Panels
    4.4KW Pylontech Battery
    Sonic Water Diverter
    Solis 4.48 Inverter
    Going of order form so my spelling could be off....
    Any thoughts on the Battery's or the diverter?
    9500 Gross - so 6500 Net

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Got updated quote from guys recommended here -
    14 JA Solar 340W Panels
    4.4KW Pylontech Battery
    Sonic Water Diverter
    Solis 4.48 Inverter
    Going of order form so my spelling could be off....
    Any thoughts on the Battery's or the diverter?
    9500 Gross - so 6500 Net

It’s a Solic diverter, not much info around and it’s a Solis Hybrid inverter (3.6 or a 5) I think you would need a 5
    Batteries 2.4 are fine
    It’s a very good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Today was just marginally better. I got 3.2kWh as opposed to 2.7 yesterday. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

garo wrote: »
    Today was just marginally better. I got 3.2kWh as opposed to 2.7 yesterday. :(

I had my lowest total for the year today, (installed March). 1.62kwh on 2.1kw system :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Just wanted to stick my nose in here,

Starting to research Solar PV for my father's house. (I'll be tasked with doing all the dealings anyway).

Their house is a cottage type bungalow(Solid fuel (stove) and oil as a backup), but we hope to install the panels on the shed behind the house, quite a low pitch, think of a lean to but not attached to anything, South- southeast.

I live next door, in a house that my grandfather originally built in the early 80's and I have Solar tubes on my house, Really getting a good benefit of them in the summer, unless its dull for a few days we don't have to do much to have plenty of hot water.

Parents would have lived in this house for a while about 10 yrs ago while theirs was being renovated, and experienced the solar panels. So currently miss them now in the summer months when there isn't a fire on to heat the house. - Also when the house was renovated a large solar compatible (gycol based) hot water tank was installed, just in case they went down the solar route. The stove currently uses one of the main heating coils and the low coil usually used for solar.

They never went down the hot water solar, with 2 of them in the house, they were told they would never make the money back on it. Now that Solar PV has become more affordable, Its been looked into again.

Getting a BER rating done for the house this week to see where we stand grant wise.

If going for a grant, thinking of an 4ish kwp array, small battery and a hot water divert. Ive read the thread and know the drawbacks of the hot water divert, but if I get a setup installed and not have hot water on sunny days i'll never hear the end of it from my mum!

Electric car will be on the cards.. but not that many are golf bags + trolleys compatible yet!

DrPhil's quote is the "benchmark" for quotes. Go back a few pages. He's up around your neck of the woods too.

DrPhil's quote is the "benchmark" for quotes. Go back a few pages. He's up around your neck of the woods too.

Yeah Phils is great benchmark, Going to sit on it until the BER rating is done, that will be the go-no go on the grant option.

As its going on a steel roof,(and its a shed for turf, not an airtight shed by any matter of means) the DIY option is a strong candidate if theres no grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

graememk wrote: »
    Yeah Phils is great benchmark, Going to sit on it until the BER rating is done, that will be the go-no go on the grant option.

As its going on a steel roof,(and its a shed for turf, not an airtight shed by any matter of means) the DIY option is a strong candidate if theres no grant.

Heeeemmmm just to clarify, Dr Phil used my Quote to go with those lads!

Which was just about 4k cheaper than most other quotes I got.

-Solis Hybrid inverter 5kw to future proof extra panels later date and wifi dongle for inverter app
    -4.8KW battery
    -14 panels JA solar 320W on a west facing roof
    -Iboost water heater for immersion
    -Zappi 2 car charger untethered and myenergie hub

7000e after grant - Net cost to me after the grant.

Sound lads to deal with and very helpful as I had lots of questions as new to solar PV and EV driving.
    Thanks

For those using the Solis inverter, have you had any joy logging into it on a desktop?

I'm in on the app no problem. And mobile website no issue.

When I try to log in via PC it keeps saying "login failed".

For those using the Solis inverter, have you had any joy logging into it on a desktop?

No problem here on the desktop.

No problem here on the desktop.

Bizaare. I wonder if I'm connecting to a different country version due to being a border hopper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭zoom_cool

Nice one. It takes a while to get to grips with managing the excess, and there's only so many clothes you can wash. Needless to say you'll be raking in the cash when the FIT arrives.
    Would you be able to send me the installer via PM also thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 newbie_diy

Can you send me details by pm also.. Thanks

• Advertisement

zoom_cool wrote: »
    Would you be able to send me the installer via PM also thanks

Done

newbie_diy wrote: »
    Can you send me details by pm also.. Thanks

Done also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

Done also

Me too please ,Tyty

RonTon wrote: »
    Me too please ,Tyty

Sent too.

graememk wrote: »

I think it's fairly safe to say that the grant will NEVER bring an installer price down below even the retail cost of the kit. And of course, the retail cost of the kit will be much higher than the trade prices that installers will be paying for that kit.

• Advertisement

I think it's fairly safe to say that the grant will NEVER bring an installer price down below even the retail cost of the kit. And of course, the retail cost of the kit will be much higher than the trade prices that installers will be paying for that kit.

Well, just had a pre works assessment, My house is currently a D1, and panels will bring it up to a C grade, my ancient boiler aint helping either, but the guy did say second hand Grant ones can be got fairly cheaply on done deal if i wanted to change.

But it was my fathers house that wanted the panels. Yeah a C grade aint happening even panels installed until other works is done. Boiler is the same situation, It is looks like a Grant one but all the labels are gone so cant be for sure/guarantee it.

Back to homebrew solar :) Have a NE/SW aspect shed 3 bay shed in the yard crying out for panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Sent too.

One more in the PM queue, thanks :-)

One more in the PM queue, thanks :-)

Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tonyoc_1

Hi rx8, would be really grateful if you could also pm me those details!

tonyoc_1 wrote: »

Done. Copy and paste job at this stage. :)
    I think that might have gone twice by mistake 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tom4321

Got started on this journey now....

The best quote I have gotten so far....
    14 Panels @340W
    3.8kw Solis inverter
    2x2.4Kw Plyon batteries
    iBoost diverter
    Wifi Dongle

7000 after grant

Got quotes from one of the utiliy companies...nearly half the panels and they would do either a battery or a diverter only...wouldn't recomend both at the same price...which is weird and expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tom4321

Qq - my house has a BER rating of C3 - that the lower end of the C rating scale. It should still qualify for the SEAI grant right?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

tom4321 wrote: »
    Qq - my house has a BER rating of C3 - that the lower end of the C rating scale. It should still qualify for the SEAI grant right?

Yes, its the after figure that matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

tom4321 wrote: »
    Got started on this journey now....

The best quote I have gotten so far....
    14 Panels @340W
    3.8kw Solis inverter
    2x2.4Kw Plyon batteries
    iBoost diverter
    Wifi Dongle

7000 after grant

Got quotes from one of the utiliy companies...nearly half the panels and they would do either a battery or a diverter only...wouldn't recomend both at the same price...which is weird and expensive!!

Looks like a decent quote. Ask if you can get the 5kW Solis inverter for the same price. You could probably shave 500 off it by calling around - but depends on what kind of roof, bungalow or 2-stories etc.

https://m.ginlong.com/login.html

• Advertisement

Anyone able to get data directly from the inverter?

No, it looks like every 5min refresh.

Think the best (and only) way is by collecting data from the RS485 interface. I previously grabbed data from a RS232 interface but I haven't gotten my head around how you pull the data from RS485

Think the best (and only) way is by collecting data from the RS485 interface. I previously grabbed data from a RS232 interface but I haven't gotten my head around how you pull the data from RS485

Thanks championc I don’t have any inverter yet but this would seem to be the same route proposed for other inverters - I will have to research .

The problem was that their site doesn't like Internet explorer. Have now logged on with Chrome and its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭rounders

Thinking of doing a ground install.

Is a ground install generally cheaper?

rounders wrote: »
    Thinking of doing a ground install.

Is a ground install generally cheaper?

More expensive in all cases I understand

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭rounders

E30M3 wrote: »
    More expensive in all cases I understand

Due to the frames?

rounders wrote: »
    Due to the frames?

I am going by the quotes I received. I don't know the constituent parts and the price breakdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

tonyoc_1 wrote: »

Thanks in advance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement