Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

marieky21 wrote: »
    Thanks in advance

Sent. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Figured I'd post this here rather than the daily generation thread as the answer may have more value to those at quote/setup stage.

These are the 2 halves of my system.
    524332.jpg

524333.jpg

And this is the current production:
    524334.jpg

PV1 is the garage, PV2 the house.

Is it unusual that this early in the day with the back of the house largely in shadow, I'm producing so much from the house panels?

I didn't expect anything from them until near noon.

I'm not complaining or anything, just surprised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Not at all unusual. You get a lot of energy from diffuse radiation. My West facing panels (280 degrees) are currently generating 500W from 2.4kW capacity.

garo wrote: »
    Not at all unusual. You get a lot of energy from diffuse radiation. My West facing panels (280 degrees) are currently generating 500W from 2.4kW capacity.

I'm now at 650w on the 9 panel south facing garage and 590 on the west facing house. And that's because it has got very cloudy in the last half hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Figured I'd post this here rather than the daily generation thread as the answer may have more value to those at quote/setup stage.

These are the 2 halves of my system.

Ah go on Phil, make us even more jealous of your lovely setup :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Is it unusual that this early in the day with the back of the house largely in shadow, I'm producing so much from the house panels?

I didn't expect anything from them until near noon.

What you're basically getting is the same as when totally cloudy or tipping it down. Of course, once the sun comes over the ridge tiles, you should see a rapid climb

I have to say, I personally would have pushed both sets to the ridge tiles, to leave space for a second row (or a double row over half the width), or space for whatever will be the next fad in 5 years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭photosmart

Hi all

I have a small setup 600w solar panels in series with batteries (not grid tied standalone)

and I just checked my average generation since march and its coming in at .54kwh per day. Note that I am not drawing my batteries down much

but that seems quite low.

Is there an issue I am missing?

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Just looking for some advice. I have a Solar PV setup with a lot of MyEnergi kit. Harvi, Zappi, Eddi. They have sent me the hub to update firmware but I don't see a huge advantage after that. They didnt send a manual and it seems like gold dust to get one.

Anyone have a similar setup? what you use it for? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Superfoods wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice. I have a Solar PV setup with a lot of MyEnergi kit. Harvi, Zappi, Eddi. They have sent me the hub to update firmware but I don't see a huge advantage after that. They didnt send a manual and it seems like gold dust to get one.

Anyone have a similar setup? what you use it for? Thanks

The hub has two benefits...

- The ability to update firmware so you get fixes and new features
    - The ability to utilise the app to see real time data and reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭vmware

got a call from a company in the last few days, They were cold calling and offered to call out and survey house for PV and Thermo for no fee.

its something I have always been interested in,

detached house, 2500 sq ft, married with one child. Currently using Oil

Esb bills are about 170 every 2 months and approx 1500l of oil for heating and water

ill hear them out, what questions should I be asking them

• Advertisement

photosmart wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a small setup 600w solar panels in series with batteries (not grid tied standalone)

and I just checked my average generation since march and its coming in at .54kwh per day. Note that I am not drawing my batteries down much

but that seems quite low.

P

It does seem low. If you are not grid tied how do you utilise the generated power? Note that PV panels only generate in response to load. If there is no load they won't generate anything even in full sunshine.

vmware wrote: »
    got a call from a company in the last few days, They were cold calling and offered to call out and survey house for PV and Thermo for no fee.

its something I have always been interested in,

detached house, 2500 sq ft, married with one child. Currently using Oil

Esb bills are about 170 every 2 months and approx 1500l of oil for heating and water
    ill hear them out, what questions should I be asking them

Hmm cold-call. That's a new one. Check that:
    1) They are SEAI registered - you'd want to claim the grant - assuming your house is pre-2006?
    2) What panels are they using? Mono or poly crystalline? Maker, Rated power.
    3) What batteries is any?
    4) Ask them how much money do they think you will save. Most installers exaggerate but the level of exaggeration will tell you how honest they are. Regardless of how large your installation is you really won't save more than 60% on your bills.
    5) Hot water Diverter?
    6) How do they plan on fixing the panels? What will they do to ensure the roof remains water-tight.
    7) Where will the inverter go?
    8) How much advance are they asking for? Anything over 50% I would run away.

1) They are SEAI registered - you'd want to claim the grant - assuming your house is pre-2006?

Pre 2011 is the requirement
    i.e electricity connected 31 Dec 2010 or earlier.

KCross wrote: »
    The hub has two benefits...

- The ability to update firmware so you get fixes and new features
    - The ability to utilise the app to see real time data and reports.

Thansk

Doesn’t seem worth it for 100 quid

see comments below
    2) What panels are they using? Mono or poly crystalline? Maker, Rated power. which are better Poly? and what watt should I go for? 330?
    3) What batteries is any? would like a battery also what KV should I get?
    4) Ask them how much money do they think you will save. Most installers exaggerate but the level of exaggeration will tell you how honest they are. Regardless of how large your installation is you really won't save more than 60% on your bills.
    5) Hot water Diverter? this diverts power during day to Immersion ?
    6) How do they plan on fixing the panels? What will they do to ensure the roof remains water-tight. will ask
    7) Where will the inverter go? where should it go and what does it do?

will keep you posted what else should i know?

In almost all cases, the grant has been included into the price and is simply being pocketed by the installer, so looking for a non-grant install might actually save you money !!!

Superfoods wrote: »
    Thansk

Doesn’t seem worth it for 100 quid

And it also gives you the ability to check the status of your EV charge session, stop/start it, set timers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Delber

Hey folks this is a great source of information, I have read it from start to finish. I am looking into a 12 panel installation and am due to talk to a couple of installers just wondering if I could get a few names of the installers that were used on here. PM is fine thanks for reading 😊

Delber wrote: »
    Hey folks this is a great source of information, I have read it from start to finish. I am looking into a 12 panel installation and am due to talk to a couple of installers just wondering if I could get a few names of the installers that were used on here. PM is fine thanks for reading 😊

Sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

rx8 wrote: »
    Sent.

Can I get it as well. Thanks.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement

Can I get it as well. Thanks.

No problem. Sent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Will SEAI grant reduce when payments for excess into the grid comes in?

Looked into getting 14 panels plus battery earlier this year but it was last on a long list of things to do and was shelved.

Our daytime consumption would have been very low. However due to the virus we are but both working from home so our consumption has gone up.

Would a 2, 3 or 4 kW system without battery make sense now?

Looked into getting 14 panels plus battery earlier this year but it was last on a long list of things to do and was shelved.

Our daytime consumption would have been very low. However due to the virus we are but both working from home so our consumption has gone up.

The likelihood will be Grant or FIT.

People seem very hung up on the grants, but most evidence points to installers pocketing it anyway. Would love to hear of a non SEAI installer price to compare.

Nobody knows but yeah probably.
    Depends on your budget. Note that you only get 1800 in grant if you don't get a battery. And a 2kW system is too small for most people.

And a 2kW system is too small for most people.

That's the best size for everybody. You don't need a battery or a FIT because you're pretty much guaranteed to use everything on site. Diminishing returns after that. Less is more.

championc wrote: »
    Would love to hear of a non SEAI installer price to compare.

I got one non-grant price for comparison.

5.4kwp, 5kw hybrid inverter, 2.4kWh battery - €9k

The grant version from a different installer for comparison was €6.3k and included a Zappi and Solic diverter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Sent.

Would you mind forwarding too please have been quoted for far too much based on my money I’m spending

looking forward to visit and survey later on.. will keep you posted

2) What panels are they using? Mono or poly crystalline? Maker, Rated power.
    3) What batteries is any?
    5) Hot water Diverter?
    6) How do they plan on fixing the panels? What will they do to ensure the roof remains water-tight.
    7) Where will the inverter go?

For all the (many) people who have taken a recommendation from the guys myself and Rx8 have recommended, have you got as far as quotes?

I think there are at least 4 here who have actually had our install from the same guys.

• Advertisement

For all the (many) people who have taken a recommendation from the guys myself and Rx8 have recommended, have you got as far as quotes?

I think there are at least 4 here who have actually had our install from the same guys.

I reckon there's a lot more than that. Had Ken down on Tuesday to put in the zappi and he's had a lot of enquiries. Such a nice bloke. Really getting screwed by SEAI delays.

Would you mind forwarding too please have been quoted for far too much based on my money I’m spending

Sent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Mine was installed yesterday, I’m just waiting on a bit of sun, I went with 4kw , with 4.8kw batteries 3.6 solis hybrid inverter and solic water diverter. 6k after grants.

looking forward to visit and survey later on.. will keep you posted

I'm sending you the pm too so you can compare afterwards to judge for yourself if you are being quoted lottery numbers.

bod71 wrote: »
    Mine was installed yesterday, I’m just waiting on a bit of sun, I went with 4kw , with 4.8kw batteries 3.6 solis hybrid inverter and solic water diverter. 6k after grants.

Are you in kilcock by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Are you in kilcock by any chance?

No I’m in Tallaght, thanks for pm btw.

• Advertisement

bod71 wrote: »
    No I’m in Tallaght, thanks for pm btw.

No problem, hope you get the sunshine now!

ok I got my 1st quote, and i know before any tells me this is off THE WALL !!! 100 % rip off

4.06 KW system

12 x G6 240 panels

1 Solis hybrid inverter
    1 x Eddi hot water diverter
    2 x 3.8 kw batteries

all in for €18000, no GRANT as house is built in 2011

ok I got my 1st quote, and i know before any tells me this is off THE WALL !!! 100 % rip off

4.06 KW system

12 x G6 240 panels

1 Solis hybrid inverter
    2 x 3.8 kw batteries

Must be gold plated.....f**k me some installer are going crazy

SEAI needs to get in control

4.06 KW system

12 x G6 240 panels

1 Solis hybrid inverter
    2 x 3.8 kw batteries

Congrats. That's the most mental price I've seen here yet.

Was he wearing a mask?

A balaclava I think.

• Advertisement

i knew twas a mental price, i was thinking 10k approx!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

4.06 KW system

12 x G6 240 panels

1 Solis hybrid inverter
    2 x 3.8 kw batteries

Wow, that's high. I understand that an install on a 2 story house is more complicated with scaffolding,

As you can't get the grant, do price non battery systems. (You'll save on the inverter and the cost of the battery, and batteries rarely pay for themselves)

4.06 KW system

12 x G6 240 panels

1 Solis hybrid inverter
    2 x 3.8 kw batteries

Just send him a link to midsummer.ie and a big question mark. He'll possibly claim it was a typo :)

i knew twas a mental price, i was thinking 10k approx!

Well I got a 6kw system, only 2.4kWh battery but Solis inverter, water diverter & Zappi car charger for €9.9k pre-grant.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Well I got a 6kw system, only 2.4kWh battery but Solis inverter, water diverter & Zappi car charger for €9.9k pre-grant.

Do you normally empty the battery by 12 most nights?

graememk wrote: »
    Do you normally empty the battery by 12 most nights?

Well I got added a second battery later, so I have 4.8kWh total. If it reaches 100% charge during the day, it will last til about 4-5am. On a crappy day if we don't get to full, then yes it will have run out earlier.

So on the original 2.4kWh, yeah on a sunny day in early August with a full battery at sunset, it did used to last until after midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

hi so are you just paying the ESB standing charges so? more or less

Not for much longer of course, the evenings are getting shorter and the weather worse. Last night was the first night for a few days that we managed to have a full battery at sundown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

over all are you happy with your investment? do you think you will have pay back within 10 years approx

tks

tech wrote: »
    hi so are you just paying the ESB standing charges so? more or less

Do use a bit more overnight, and in the morning. Plus occasional car charging as shown by the spikes on this chart.

524785.jpg

My calculations suggested a 9.6 year payback, but less if a FiT arrives.

Extended that a bit by buying a second battery but I had my reasons, lol.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement