Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I know a battery is expensive, but I can see its value in grid down situation,
    something just to keep the food from spoiling in the freezer, powering a few lights ,tv internet etc.

Grid down means Solar down also unfortunately (if you are using the SEAI grant).

If you are lucky and the battery is full when the grid goes down it will give you a few hours of power on a separate circuit off the inverter.... it wont power the house so your internet, tv's etc will all die as soon as the power is cut.
    kanuseeme wrote: »
    Something to keep the kids occupied would pay for itself in 5 minutes IMO.

Indeed! Memories of Storm Ophelia come flooding back! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

KCross wrote: »

Indeed! Memories of Storm Ophelia come flooding back! :)

If you do have the correct wiring done to switchover your critical loads etc there is usually plenty of warning for them storms so you could get your battery fully charged off the grid.

Which would be at extra cost over and above the cost of the standard install.

That being said, with the token 2.4kwh battery you could run the essentials only, and lock the freezer door shut ;)

Being near the coast, we get plenty of storms battering us, the number of times the grid has gone down is very low, maybe once a year and its usually only for the night. maybe its natural selection, all the dodgy poles get taken out quickly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

For anyone with a Solis inverter and the backup option, can I simply wire that backup to a plug and then run an extension off that in the even of a cut?

With a 4.8kWh battery (if full) I could run the essentials off it for quite a while. And by essentials, I mean the TV and sky box lol. They are both plugged in at the opposite end of the attic from the inverter so an extension lead would get me powered up for a few hours.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    For anyone with a Solis inverter and the backup option, can I simply wire that backup to a plug and then run an extension off that in the even of a cut?

That would be the idea, yea.

Just ensuring you dont overload it.

Just contacted Airtricity online chat to ask about renewal rates. Useless sods.

"We can't discuss renewals online, you have to call us."

Sod off. I'm a busy man, I don't have time to be fannying around calling companies. That's what the Internet is for. (paraphrased of course)

"I can get you a ring back in 7 days to discuss"

7 days???

"you can renew online with the standard rates".

Which defeats the purpose of contacting you asking to price match...

Thoroughly useless service.

Anyway quick question, what kind of breakdown are people getting for day/night rates post solar? I normally base my answers on Bonkers.ie on using about 65% on night rate as I was scheduling washer, dryer, dishwasher all on night rate.

But now for 6-7 months of the year I'm doing almost all of that usage on day rate so my nighttime consumption drops to about 4kWh from the previous average of about 15kWh per night. The only increase from that average is car charging, which at worst would be about 60kWh a week but quite often less than half that if I'm getting excess on a good day or haven't driven as much that day.

From a quick glance at the figures I only charged at home 5 times in August and 6 in September. Twice so far in October.

Bonkers is throwing out the likes of Bright with 17c day and 10c night but with a standing charge of €120 rather than Energia with 14.2c day and 6.8c night but a standing charge of €288.

Anyway quick question, what kind of breakdown are people getting for day/night rates post solar? I normally base my answers on Bonkers.ie on using about 65% on night rate as I was scheduling washer, dryer, dishwasher all on night rate.

But now for 6-7 months of the year I'm doing almost all of that usage on day rate so my nighttime consumption drops to about 4kWh from the previous average of about 15kWh per night. The only increase from that average is car charging, which at worst would be about 60kWh a week but quite often less than half that if I'm getting excess on a good day or haven't driven as much that day.

From a quick glance at the figures I only charged at home 5 times in August and 6 in September. Twice so far in October.

Bonkers is throwing out the likes of Bright with 17c day and 10c night but with a standing charge of €120 rather than Energia with 14.2c day and 6.8c night but a standing charge of €288.

Not sure it matters Phil... just sign up to whoever is the cheapest.... and that currently is Energia with the rates you have posted.

The changes in your consumption with the addition of Solar shouldnt affect that decision.

Not sure it matters Phil... just sign up to whoever is the cheapest.... and that currently is Energia with the rates you have posted.

The changes in your consumption with the addition of Solar shouldnt affect that decision.

Sorry I engaged my brain and looked at that again. Maybe the day/night breakdown isn't as relevant, but the standing charge still makes it less straightforward.

Energia have more than double the annual standing charge.

So for a high use customer (which I was pre solar) the lowest unit rate is king.

But the extra €165 in standing charge that Energia charge would buy me over 1650 units at Bright's night rate.

I used over 12mWh in the year pre-solar. My estimate for the year after is about 7mWh.

Yikes...

Glow Power are dropping their prices from November 1st.

Energia
    14.22 day
    6.82 night

Glow (now)
    14.14 day
    8.09 night

Glow (November)
    14.81 day
    5.07 night!

the change in consumption should effect the calculation, as the overall usage will be lower. but depends on how much lower you do end up going!

Energia are the cheapest rates when your using a lot of electricity, but when your usage is going lower, the lower standing charge will come into play

with 1500 day and 2000 night Bright has the edge but its only like 30 euro.

A tipping point according to my calculations is about 2000 day and 2500 night.

TLDR, there aint much in it.

• Advertisement

I used over 12mWh in the year pre-solar. My estimate for the year after is about 7mWh.

With them numbers, Energia lol... or glow?

Edit:

Where you seeing that about glow, just went to their website,
    Please note that due to increasing costs in distribution and supply, our supply charge and our kwh charge will increase by 4.8% on the 1st of November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

I was with energia until last month, but they wouldn't keep the same rate, so I went with Bord Gais who seem to have a decent rate and a low Standing charge.

True, it's a much sounder option to use the car as the storage battery, and then hope FIT happens. (I can then truly say that my driving is powered by the sun).

Worst case it's going to cost me the price of a Zappi, and the car would be plugged in during the day probably 90% of the time anyway...

Seeing as it's a fairly big thread, what's the net ballpark figure for a 3-4kWp installation people are seeing?
    Hi there. Could you please send me on details of a recommended supplier/installer.

Kind regards
    John

PM's Sent to you both.

graememk wrote: »
    Where you seeing that about glow, just went to their website,

Bonkers.ie listed them as best saving by a mile based on 7mWh usage. Didn't make sense as the rates were so close to Energia which they were listing as a much smaller saving.

Clicked on the "how did we calculate this" but and it says that the quoted figure was until October 31st, and the new rate kicks in on 01/11/20.

Yikes...

Glow Power are dropping their prices from November 1st.

Energia
    14.22 day
    6.82 night

Glow (now)
    14.14 day
    8.09 night

Glow (November)
    14.81 day
    5.07 night!

Thats a ridiculously good night rate from them. I wonder how they are managing that while keeping all the other costs down too. Usually there is a trade off somewhere.

Thats a ridiculously good night rate from them. I wonder how they are managing that while keeping all the other costs down too. Usually there is a trade off somewhere.

I think the trade off is that they're a royal pain in the hole to deal with. Someone else on boards reported not getting a bill for 4 months at a time and having to torture them to get one. Billing was still accurate but that's a crap way to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

That must be a typo. I just went to bonkers and I see 8.48c.

garo wrote: »
    That must be a typo. I just went to bonkers and I see 8.48c.

Its odd alright.... GlowPower website says....
    "Please note that due to increasing costs in distribution and supply, our supply charge and our kwh charge will increase by 4.8% on the 1st of November."

Most other providers are increasing on 1 Nov also but Bonkers are saying that GlowPower are decreasing their prices!

Get the rate in writing Phil before you sign up!

Edit... defo a typo on bonkers....

They list the following
    14.14 cent (day rate)
    8.09 cent (night rate)
    until 31/10/2020

14.81 cent (day rate)
    5.07 cent (night rate)
    from 01/11/2020

The GlowPower website says they are increasing their prices by 4.8% on 1 Nov and the day rate on bonkers reflects that.... 14.14-->14.81

How they took the night rate from 8.09-->5.07 I dont know, but it has to be wrong.

Get the rate in writing Phil before you sign up!
    Don't think I will be signing up. Months on end with no bills, having to chase them to take payment etc. Sod that. I'll pay the few quid extra to have a reliable professional company. Especially given that I'm on a first year with PV, I want to know what my bi-monthly bills are so I can compare with the previous year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Guys I know it's not quiet on topic but since it's being discussed.
    What do I need to do/get to move to a day /night rate?
    I've always just been on a standard rate for electricity.

Rather than derail the thread, if someone could pm me... Though it might be helpful in the public domain for general information.

Thanks

Guys I know it's not quiet on topic but since it's being discussed.
    What do I need to do/get to move to a day /night rate?
    I've always just been on a standard rate for electricity.

Rather than derail the thread, if someone could pm me... Though it might be helpful in the public domain for general information.

Thanks

Ring your electricity supplier, ask for a day night meter or nightsaver. It has a higher standing charge so you need to be using 30% night to break even.

There is no charge to change your meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Hello Folks, Complete Noob here when it comes to Solar PV, but we really want to get it installed, and it's quite a big thread to go through.

Initially we are looking at the Electric Ireland offer, which is a 2kWp set up with 6 panels I believe, for €5,200 (with €1,800 grant available, bringing the cost down to €3,600, with a diverter to the immersion).

PM sent,
    EI price is very high IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I have a few questions,if anybody can help, I would be most grateful.
    I have appointment tomorrow with rep for solar company.I am looking for c.3.4 kw system without battery, or other add ons.Looking for a ballpark figure after grant.After chatting with rep last friday these are some of the things he said.

Rep said grant is ending end of November, but I cannot find any confirmation of same.
    He said I will also need to get my own BER after installation and I will also need an assessment before hand to make sure I hit a C3.
    Also said I will have to make application for grant,pay company full price and then keep grant if successful, is this the normal procedure? I thought the company did all that.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Is tomorrow's Budget likely to throw up anything in relation to Solar PV and other renewables?

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Rep said grant is ending end of November, but I cannot find any confirmation of same.
    That's the first alarm bell rung. He's lying. It is expected that the grants will run out in the not too distant future, but there is no set date so if he is claiming a definite date, then he is making it up to try and scare you into buying in haste. To be honest I wouldn't even entertain the visit for that reason alone. I hate dealing with dishonest swine.

He said I will also need to get my own BER after installation and I will also need an assessment before hand to make sure I hit a C3.
    This is true. You need a valid BER beforehand and need to be at least C3. Then you need to get another afterwards. Many installers will include that follow up BER in their quote or at least be willing to negotiate on it, but not all.

Also said I will have to make application for grant,pay company full price and then keep grant if successful, is this the normal procedure? I thought the company did all that.:confused:
    Some do, some don't. Some (including your fella probably as he's liberal with the truth) will claim that the dealer can't claim the grant anymore. That is not the case. The grant can be paid directly to anyone. My installer (in July) handled my full paperwork. I just had to make the online application, and add his bank details for the payback, and then I only paid the net amount.

That means that the pressure is on them to ensure that the installation is compliant because they're losing out if its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

I have a few questions,if anybody can help, I would be most grateful.
    I have appointment tomorrow with rep for solar company.I am looking for c.3.4 kw system without battery, or other add ons.Looking for a ballpark figure after grant.After chatting with rep last friday these are some of the things he said.

Company that did my panels (Electric Ireland contractor) did everything - I just had to fill in some parts of the grant form. It's normal that you pay full price to the company doing the work and then get grant money back afterwards. It was taking around 6-8 weeks until Covid, I was waiting 4 months but that was because i couldn't get a BER assessor out because of the lockdown stuff.

Rumours that grant is ending at the end of the year - but I don't know where those rumours started from etc so debatable how accurate it would be. Maybe someone else here has better information.

The money for the grant is allocated from the budget each year so officially it might be ending but they might extend it for another 12 months..... but who knows with these strange times we are in.... what is more important, spending money protecting jobs or subsidising Solar PV installs. Anyones guess what tomorrows budget will bring.

To get the grant you need a C rating or better. If there is any doubt about whether you would hit a C rating it is advisable to do a before BER rather than get a shock after the install and find you have no grant but a big bill to pay to the installer.

If you are confident you will hit a C rating (maybe you had a BER done a few years back) then dont bother with the before BER but you will need an after BER regardless, to claim the grant.

Depends. You do have to apply for the grant yourself and assign the company to your application. They then upload documentation to support your application (pictures, certs etc) so they are involved in the grant process.

You can negotiate that you pay the net price and its up to the installer to get the grant money. Thats the best way to go for you as it makes them more diligent in doing the work and following up with SEAI as they are on the hook for the money but some of them wont agree to that so its down to your negotiation capabilities and how much they want your business.

Many thanks gents,some very useful info for me to consider.I will post how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

Originally Posted by kabakuyu View Post

This is true. You need a valid BER beforehand and need to be at least C3. Then you need to get another afterwards. Many installers will include that follow up BER in their quote or at least be willing to negotiate on it, but not all.

Just to reiterate what KCROSS said. This is not Accurate Phil, there is no need in the scheme rules to have a valid BER Beforehand. There is no energy rating Requirement to apply for the scheme. It is after installation you must achieve at least a C3.

I got a BER cert carried out after installation and it is the first BER Cert I ever had for the house. House was built 20 years ago by ourselves. Rating after installation was B1.

E30M3 wrote: »
    This is not Accurate Phil, there is no need in the scheme rules to have a valid BER Beforehand. There is no energy rating Requirement to apply for the scheme. It is after installation you must achieve at least a C3.

I stand corrected. I had one from about 4 years back anyway after I increased my attic insulation.

If you think there might be any doubt, Some BER assessors can do a pre works assessment, but no official BER cert.

Then when you have the work done, they finalise whatever they do and produce the cert.

My 40 yr old house, came in at a D1 without PV (I do have solar tubes on the roof) but what killed my rating is the really old oil burner, with the markings long gone on it, so its just put in as a generic. with poor efficiency.

Assessor told me a second hand Grant boiler one can be picked up relatively cheaply, and that would have my house with a c2 i think.

If you have a recent boiler, and good attic insulation you dont have much to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm going for PV on a 1970 house without a BER cert, I'm confident with cavity insulation, efficient oil boiler, TRV valves on all radiators, fireplace replaced with modern stove, insulated slabs downstairs, oil and immersion on timer, factory insulated hot water tank, replaced floors with 12" insulation underneath, replaced windows, insulated attic, extensive LEDs throughout the house and upcoming reduction of 54m2 after panels/battery that I'll hit at least C, honestly hoping for a B...time will tell

Many thanks gents,some very useful info for me to consider.I will post how I get on.

PM Sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Need a quick yes/no on this and if it's reasonable. doesn't need to be the cheapest - going with a recommendation of a reputable company:

"7 no 340 watt all Black panels by Q Cell with 7 PV Optimisers and a 2.2 kw inverter by Solar edge at a cost of €5800"

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Need a quick yes/no on this and if it's reasonable. doesn't need to be the cheapest - going with a recommendation of a reputable company:

"7 no 340 watt all Black panels by Q Cell with 7 PV Optimisers and a 2.2 kw inverter by Solar edge at a cost of €5800"

I'm not sure about the price of optimisers, maybe they justify the cost. At a glance for that size of system, with no battery, diverter etc is way too expensive.

Did you request the optimisers?

Just had the price in, way too expensive for me.:eek:

3.7 Kw system.12 Peimar panels.

Hybrid Huawei inverter.

i boost.

E9895 WHICH INCLUDES 10% DISCOUNT.

Extra E250 for scaffolding.

Get own BER.

I have to sort out grant myself.

https://midsummer.ie/buy/peimar-solar

astrofluff wrote: »

No, little high, the inverter is a very small kw. Personally i would aim for a 5kw.
    Can you can fit more panels?

How much?

3.7 Kw system.12 Peimar panels.

Hybrid Huawei inverter.

i boost.

E9895 WHICH INCLUDES 10% DISCOUNT.

Extra E250 for scaffolding.

Get own BER.

I have to sort out grant myself.

https://midsummer.ie/buy/peimar-solar

Lol

Did he push the whole "grant expiring" guff again?

MAULBROOK wrote: »

How much?

Hard to believe, still in shock.:eek:

• Advertisement

Lol

SEAI are unlikely to give themselves a paycut.

Lol

Forgot to ask, I was shocked at price.He was professional and courteous. solar company is nationwide and promoted /linked to one of our largest energy providers, BGE.

Forgot to ask, I was shocked at price.He was professional and courteous. solar company is nationwide and promoted /linked to one of our largest energy providers, BGE.

in other words, not a very attrACTIVE price :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Raincheck so. Maybe l8er :p:p:p

Did they need both yourself and the wife to be there to sign the deal? :rolleyes:

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    in other words, not a very attrACTIVE price :):):)

Not them, but its on the BGE website. I dont know if I am allowed post name.

unkel wrote: »
    Raincheck so. Maybe l8er :p:p:p

Did they need both yourself and the wife to be there to sign the deal? :rolleyes:

No pressure at all, like I said very courteous, if the price was right, we could have done a deal:( .Thanks to this thread, I was well informed on prices and what I need for my situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

No pressure at all, like I said very courteous, if the price was right, we could have done a deal:( .Thanks to this thread, I was well informed on prices and what I need for my situation.

Yeah - it seems like enough people are willing to pay the high prices and they are getting away with it. I was going to install a 4kwh system but I'm getting silly prices quoted so I think i'll drop the idea and spend the money on something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I know someone who had the wool pulled over their eyes by this crowd. Haven't the heart to tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

Hi all,
    Wondering what ye all think about this quote, incl. Vat not including the grant.

12 panels 340watt 4.2kw ja solar 
    3.6 solis inverter 
    2by 2 .4 batteries 4.8 
    Eddie water diverter
    wi fi dongle
    price 10000 euro. 7k with grant.

I asked how much for an extra 2 panels, quoted 500€.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
    John

Hi all,
    Wondering what ye all think about this quote, incl. Vat not including the grant.

12 panels 340watt 4.2kw ja solar 
    3.6 solis inverter 
    2by 2 .4 batteries 4.8 
    Eddie water diverter
    wi fi dongle
    price 10000 euro. 7k with grant.

I asked how much for an extra 2 panels, quoted 500€.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
    John

Looks OK. I'd push for a 5kw inverter though, and see how much with just 1 battery, unless you really want it. Haggle on the price of the extra panels too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

Looks OK. I'd push for a 5kw inverter though, and see how much with just 1 battery, unless you really want it. Haggle on the price of the extra panels too.

Thanks for replying. I asked about just one battery and was quoted 500 euro less. I will ask about a 5kw inverter.

Cheers
    John

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement