Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You are recommending a service not a product if you make a recommendation that hasn't stood the test of time.
    It's also a potential minefield with self-promotion, spammers and invested parties.

Besides most people here are end users so what are they comparing it to?

I think this product is great because it's the only one I've tried and I don't know what I'm missing.
    I agree with the charter.

All good points and the charter is like that for a reason, the forum was full of shilling in the past.

Things have changed though, a clear shill can easily be banned. There's no longer a need for this in the charter any more imho

And half of the posts in this forum are "pm me too please". Nothing wrong with long established posters on boards saying xx installed for me, you can all see that I got a good deal, I'm happy with the experience, I had to call them back a few times and they came and fixed it

This greatly helps others

The charter is outdated and needs to be changed. I hope the moderators can pick up on this. This forum is far more important now than it was 10 years ago when only the occasional goat's hair socked environmentalist had a look in. It's mainstream now, renewables are affordable and never before needed this much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭idc

How much time/"equipment do you get off the batteries at night?

That entirely depends on your typical load during the night and how much of the battery is left at end of day. For October most frequently made it to around 2 or 3am. One night 8am (had a takeaway hence oven/hob not in use!) With night rate plan to limit discharge at night so that I have battery when night rate ends and start of pv generation begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

idc wrote: »
    That entirely depends on your typical load during the night and how much of the battery is left at end of day. For October most frequently made it to around 2 or 3am. One night 8am (had a takeaway hence oven/hob not in use!) With night rate plan to limit discharge at night so that I have battery when night rate ends and start of pv generation begins.

What size battery do you have? That's impressive to go.till 2am in October.

What size battery do you have? That's impressive to go.till 2am in October.

5.7. On a semi decent sunny day SE and SW panels almost fill battery by around 2pm. Big problem is shade affecting SW from then on. Also SE at that time of day no longer getting as much sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

I've taken the view that I will not waste day generated power to run anything during the night rate hours. So generated power will always only save me day rate units. So I stop discharging my batteries at midnight (if I get that far), until the following morning.

IMO, there is no point in wasting battery power on night rate units, and then having a crap day the following day, and needing to then buy full rate units - that just makes no sense.

The main thing is to do this without any micro management

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    I've taken the view that I will not waste day generated power to run anything during the night rate hours. So generated power will always only save me day rate units. So I stop discharging my batteries at midnight (if I get that far), until the following morning.

Sounds like a good idea. Only have the system a week or two so have not got my night meter yet.

Sounds like a good idea. Only have the system a week or two so have not got my night meter yet.

For anyone wondering how to stop discharge during night rate hours, the best option, if your inverter allows it, is to tell the inverter to charge your batteries from the grid, between 00:00 and 09:00, to maybe 20%. So if the inverter is told to charge during those hours, it cannot discharge.

For anyone wondering how to stop discharge during night rate hours, the best option, if your inverter allows it, is to tell the inverter to charge your batteries from the grid, between 00:00 and 09:00, to maybe 20%. So if the inverter is told to charge during those hours, it cannot discharge.

I do this too. Charge the battery slowly from the grid (at 500W) during all 9 night rate hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wasn't going to go the battery route, but when speaking to a company yesterday, the guy said they do a 2.4kW battery for €1,050 (their smallest one), and that it's worth getting a battery simply for the €600 grant available against it, and it also meant my inverter would be a 'Hybrid'? Inverter capable of working with batteries, and then adding additional batteries in the future would be a much simpler task.

This make sense?

Does for the seller not for the buyer. I can buy 2.4kW lead for €400. And they're up-selling you a more expensive inverter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

unkel wrote: »
    All good points and the charter is like that for a reason, the forum was full of shilling in the past.

Things have changed though, a clear shill can easily be banned. There's no longer a need for this in the charter any more imho

And half of the posts in this forum are "pm me too please". Nothing wrong with long established posters on boards saying xx installed for me, you can all see that I got a good deal, I'm happy with the experience, I had to call them back a few times and they came and fixed it

This greatly helps others

The charter is outdated and needs to be changed. I hope the moderators can pick up on this. This forum is far more important now than it was 10 years ago when only the occasional goat's hair socked environmentalist had a look in. It's mainstream now, renewables are affordable and never before needed this much

This thread has helped a lot of people to refine their thinking and compare ideas and quotes. However the charter does not work if a thread titled mysolar.ie is ok and it isn't ok to name a company in this thread. That makes no sense and I say that as the person who started this 2020 thread.

Let's be consistent in the overall forum, one way or the other. I don't mind which but is it worse to name a company here or to send a pm and not mention a referral reward that the recommended may be in line to receive from the company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

E30M3 wrote: »
    This thread has helped a lot of people to refine their thinking and compare ideas and quotes. However the charter does not work if a thread titled mysolar.ie is ok and it isn't ok to name a company in this thread. That makes no sense and I say that as the person who started this 2020 thread.

Let's be consistent in the overall forum, one way or the other. I don't mind which but is it worse to name a company here or to send a pm and not mention a referral reward that the recommended may be in line to receive from the company?

We had clearence in the last thread to mention names once the install was done. That's how next gen got a mention
    The same should apply here

What's happened to them. They seem to have dropped off the leader board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I wasn't going to go the battery route, but when speaking to a company yesterday, the guy said they do a 2.4kW battery for €1,050 (their smallest one), and that it's worth getting a battery simply for the €600 grant available against it, and it also meant my inverter would be a 'Hybrid'? Inverter capable of working with batteries, and then adding additional batteries in the future would be a much simpler task.

This make sense?

You get a 1200 additional grant if you are installing a 4+ kW system. As you only get 1800 max for a battery less system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I do this too. Charge the battery slowly from the grid (at 500W) during all 9 night rate hours

I would have had you down as one of those against that method, as it increases the cycling of the battery and shortens its life span, which the extra few cent a day doesn't justify?

Also I take it you only do this in winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Contractor selected. Price agreed. Grant approved. Next step installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Would you mind sending me a pm?

We're very close from pulling the trigger with the "solar as a service" crowd.

Alkers wrote: »
    Would you mind sending me a pm?

We're very close from pulling the trigger with the "solar as a service" crowd.

Spoke to him today. Very impressed with his unwillingness to upsell.
    Can't got wrong with solar for a cup of coffee a week. (Dublin prices)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

E30M3 wrote: »

I mentioned that here before.

Has anyone been able to get a 2.16 kW (6 panel) system installed for less than 2400 after grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Solar PV installation with a peak output of 2.56 KWH.

/QUOTE]

You are going to hate me..us...could you send me a pm also...thanks

• Advertisement

Before selecting I got contacted 4 suppliers asking for a price on a 7 panel system no battery. Note I have Contractor selected, grant approved but yet to install.

Prices incl vat but excl any diverters:
      1. €4800 7 panels
      2. €7000 8 panels
      3. €3860 8 panels
      4. €6150 6 panels (hybrid inverter)

I left out diverters for comparison.

I am not associated with any company and not receiving any commission for referrals but I wish I was with the amount of pms that I sent today.

They are NW based and I get the impression that they don't cover all the country, I could be wrong though.

Just goes to show that some of them would just love to fleece ya.

1. €4800 7 panels
        2. €7000 8 panels
        3. €3860 8 panels

Would be good to include kWp for each as not all panels the same. And inverter size too.

Are these prices before or after taking grant value away?

Before selecting I got contacted 4 suppliers asking for a price on a 7 panel system no battery. Note I have Contractor selected, grant approved but yet to install.

1. €4800 7 panels
          2. €7000 8 panels
          3. €3860 8 panels

I left out diverters for comparison.

I am not associated with any company and not receiving any commission for referrals but I wish I was with the amount of pms that I sent today.

They are NW based and I get the impression that they don't cover all the country, I could be wrong though.

Just goes to show that some of them would just love to fleece ya.

Is there any guidance on what can or cannot be posted. I gave my experience and have spent the day sending pms to people asking for details. Companies offering reasonable prices should not lose out. The thread is Solar PV Quotes. At the same time I don't think its far for me to be sending pm after pm essentially promoting one company. I am sure some suppliers are not ripping the pee but in my experience some are definitely taking advantage of the grant as well as people low level of solar pv technical knowledge.

DrPhilG wrote: »
          I would have had you down as one of those against that method, as it increases the cycling of the battery and shortens its life span, which the extra few cent a day doesn't justify?

Also I take it you only do this in winter?

Not at all, you got me completely wrong there! And remember my battery cost me less than nothing. I don't worry about its lifespan being 7 or 17 years

And normally for most people it would make the most sense to only do this in winter, but my base load is so high that it makes sense to do it nearly all year round. My self consumption (at the higher rate of say 17c/kWh) with battery is >90% outside of June-August and probably would be still >70% without battery

So the battery is saving me roughly (90%-70%) * 4000kWh * 16c per year from PV plus 365 days * 4kWh * (17c day rate - 8c night rate) = €250 per year after allowing for losses

This yearly saving from the battery would be much lower for people with a lower base load

Would be good to include kWp for each as not all panels the same. And inverter size too.

Are these prices before or after taking grant value away?

1. €4800 7 panels 2.24kW

2. €7000 8 panels cannot recall

3. €3860 8 panels 2.56kW

4. €6150 6 panels (hybrid inverter) 2.05kW

Cannot recall inverter size for them all

Prices are before deduction of grant

€250 per year after allowing for losses

Seems like not much. Considering I'd hire that hardware out for more per day.
          ...I dunno if there's a good reason to do both yet..still finessing and measuring.

What's your feedback power factor? Can you alter it?

3. €3860 8 panels 2.56kW

Prices are before deduction of grant

I think that's the cheapest non-battery install we've seen, €2,060 after the grant.

Just a smidge over 80c per Wp installed

The mysolar price is 93.75c per Wp installed, but paid back over ten years.

I think that's the cheapest non-battery install we've seen, €2,060 after the grant.

Thanks for posting that, now I have to spend all day tomorrow getting posts requesting details of the installer.

If that's coupled with talent it's on the money.

• Advertisement

Thanks for posting that, now I have to spend all day tomorrow getting posts requesting details of the installer.

Post it in here (secret forum...not in breach of charter, never seen a mod) ;)

What's 'wp'?

What's 'wp'?

Wattage (peak) of solar panels

I don't think it's against the electrical forums charter either and them tradies are a bit to set in their "use a diesel" ways.
          It'd be worth angling for a sticky..little traction would make the whole ordeal a farce and leverage for a revision.

Tell 2011 or Stoner I sent ya...2011's a softy.
          If I get in trouble for this So long and thanks for all the dolphins!...oh shyte I mean fish!

I have been pm'ing the supplier details aĺl day. Although I think its a pain replying to every pm I personally I don't agree with naming them on a thread. Other decent installers need to make a living. I'm not talking about those using grant to up their price.

Seems like not much.

It's not a bad saving considering I have spent net roughly about €100 in total on my battery system. That includes batteries, cabinet, BMS, inverter, shipping costs, cables and labour for the electrician. I could sell all my hardware tomorrow for around €1000. Giving me a profit of €900 plus whatever savings the battery has made me :)

• Advertisement

I have been pm'ing the supplier details aĺl day. Although I think its a pain replying to every pm I personally I don't agree with naming them on a thread. Other decent installers need to make a living. I'm not talking about those using grant to up their price.

I'm undecided personally with a bias towards it's a bad idea but I've turned right around to "Well maybe it's not right but there ought to be a place for it". The PM me thing is too much.
          What's the best approach without stepping on toes? Start a poll for a charter revision?
          Appeal an exeption sticky: Have a listen lads take a pinch of salt because this is user discretion not a vetting process first post?
          Or are we trying to open the floodgates?

As a forum contributor I think that recommending a company based on price is a joke.
          Like them lads on Utoob that open the box, turn it on, get a I'm done green light and say it's great.
          or the reviews that say "So impressed fast shipping!"

This is trivial. I would not make a recommendation that I have not soak tested.

Unkel has a point though as does everyone. I think there ought to be a proviso to just accept that the vast majority of users want this so if it's not in breach of the over-ruling hosts mandate then we ought to facilitate something. The users are the forum.

I'm undecided personally with a bias towards it's a bad idea but I've turned right around to "Well maybe it's not right but there ought to be a place for it". The PM me thing is too much.
          What's the best approach without stepping on toes? Start a poll for a charter revision?
          Appeal an exeption sticky: Have a listen lads take a pinch of salt because this is user discretion not a vetting process first post?
          Or are we trying to open the floodgates?

As a forum contributor I think that recommending a company based on price is a joke.
          Like them lads on Utoob that open the box, turn it on, get a I'm done green light and say it's great.
          or the reviews that say "So impressed fast shipping!"

This is trivial. I would not make a recommendation that I have not soak tested.

Unkel has a point though as does everyone. I think there ought to be a proviso to just accept that the vast majority of users want this so if it's not in breach of the over-ruling hosts mandate then we ought to facilitate something. The users are the forum.

Stating the supplier, system and price is just what it is. It's not a recommendation

It's not a bad saving

Meher..yeah...I dunno, in theory my latest and greatest of the flock ought run for another 15 years no appreciable difference and I'm still thinking...seems like a waste. Such potential. I can power a hoist that will pull a truck outtov a bog and what am I doing with it? Making <€1 per day?
          Sure I can do both but I really don't want to find out that I made €750 and had something that could pull a truck put is only good for escorts now.
          I dunno...I will be testing for months before I decide and the test load is a money saver anyways...I'll see.

The power factor comment....I forced unity on my hybrid and now I'm making 10% more money/savings/power. Probably more under other load conditions but it was 0.9 when I tested the theory.

I could not sell a used battery and I definately wouldn't buy one.
          I suppose times have changed what with discrete BMS.
          Dunno...I need more data...
          Unkelnomics only apply to Unkel..:P

Start a poll? Let the people represent! If it changes nothing at least it's quantifiable as a request.

Meher..yeah...I dunno, in theory my latest and greatest of the flock ought run for another 15 years no appreciable difference and I'm still thinking...seems like a waste. Such potential. I can power a hoist that will pull a truck outtov a bog and what am I doing with it? Making <€1 per day?

If I wanted to pull a truck outtov a bog and I could get another battery for free, I might give that a go too. How much does one get paid for such a job? :p

• Advertisement

The installers are keeping an eye on informational sites like this. Until I have it installed and am happy with it I am not going to post name. A few months back I posted a consumer issue and mentioned a company. In return I got 3 pages of posts telling me that I was in the right and one email from the company telling me that they were taking legal action if I didn't take down the post.

If I wanted to pull a truck outtov a bog and I could get another battery for free, I might give that a go too. How much does one get paid for such a job? :p

10 hires the stock ought to pay for itself. Er I blew the budget a few times over.

€300 for me
          €200 for the truck I rode in on
          €400 to hire the unit. (extended hire discounts apply)

Why don't I pull the truck with the other truck? Errr...next question?

Why don't I pull the truck with the other truck? Errr...next question?

Pull a truck with a truck? Reminds me of that Roundstone harbour incident :D

I know right..'twas a terrible analogy. Because 24v winch.

A dispatchable 10kVA is a handy thing. We'll leave it there for now.

(*If you've lost count already it's because I was hiding some under the counter.*)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Pull a truck with a truck? Reminds me of that Roundstone harbour incident :D
          Totally off topic, but looked that up, some mess.

The installers are keeping an eye on informational sites like this. Until I have it installed and am happy with it I am not going to post name. A few months back I posted a consumer issue and mentioned a company. In return I got 3 pages of posts telling me that I was in the right and one email from the company telling me that they were taking legal action if I didn't take down the post.

The Charter says

Any threads naming specific companies/traders will be deleted.

So I"m really not sure what the massive fuss is about. I've mentioned Midsummer.ie and Solartricity.ie several times on this thread over the past few months. If the mods saw an issue with this, they would have deleted the posts.

Of course, you cannot advertise or promote your own company

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You assume every post is seen/moderated by a mod, life doesn’t work like that, unless a post naming a company is reported then loads of chatter breaching posts slip through...

slave1 wrote: »
          You assume every post is seen/moderated by a mod, life doesn’t work like that, unless a post naming a company is reported then loads of chatter breaching posts slip through...

Gotcha, wink, there's your answer folks !!!

Gotcha, wink, there's your answer folks !!!

We, the people, declare the charter changed as of this morning! :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

DrPhilG wrote: »
          I've asked this too, since myself and rx8 have sent about 40 PMs each to people asking who installed ours.

I see other threads in this forum naming companies. I've reported posts a few times in order to ask Mods for a clear ruling. They don't reply.

The forum charter is clear:

Do not advertise any commercial activity on this site. This will lead to an immediate ban, the duration of which is at the moderators discretion.

Do not promote yourself or your business/company or use the forum for personal or professional gain. Company names or links to company names cannot be used as account names when posting in this forum or any of the Construction and Planning forum/sub forums.

Any threads naming specific companies/traders will be deleted.

Threads looking for recommendations in a certain area will be allowed but any recommendations should be given by pm only.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055251276

• Advertisement
        This discussion has been closed.
        Advertisement