Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

@Slave1, Would you mind sending me a pm with your installer details, currently looking at quotes, not getting grants but some crazy prices, lowest has been a 5kw system with invertor, and no battery ground mount for 8600 plus vat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'm looking to put PV panels on a new build in Dublin. Where do I start? Anyone any recommendations for suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

I'm looking to put PV panels on a new build in Dublin. Where do I start? Anyone any recommendations for suppliers?

Get your sparks to buy trade price from either midsummer.ie or solartricity.ie

Trade prices are typically 20% lower than their website list prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

slave1 wrote: »
    If you have a South facing shadeless roof then just fill her up, I don't know why you need an engineer though, just a solar installer.
    If you are not at home then there will be less electricity in use but this depends on your usage pattern, we currently have four at home but our base load is currently 400-500w and that's two PCs and two laptops as well as lights, fridge, freezer etc.
    If you are at home then the only real impact will be anything with an element e.g. oven/shower/dryer/washing machine etc and the majority of these should be on during night rate.
    The weather has a huge part also, yesterday was gloomy from the word go so our generation was 2.8kWh with nothing to hot water, on March 1st I put 9kWh into the water as it was a great day...

I was kinda thinking to myself - would the addition of a thermodynamic panel be of much benefit? If the Eddi Diverter doesn't do much in terms of water heating, perhaps the thermodynamic panel would be a better option, and power it with solar PV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Paull76

Hi all. I am a Reci Electrician installing systems of behalf of a few Companies so do not want to give any input as in to what system is best , most economic etc. All I will advise is that if you are planning on getting a system in do it quickly as material prices are increasing by 10/15 percent this year and Installation price will increase substantially as Reci have now requested that for every new Installation not only does the new Circuit have to be safe and up to current regulations the whole house has to be tested and any non conformances fixed before the PV installation can begin. As you can imagine most houses looking for the grant will need work done and the cost of an Electrical survey alone will be considerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭jkforde

Got a quote yesterday for small 4 bedroom dormer C2 BER and low-moderate electricity demand (last year €660 from EI with Super Saver tarrif), lots of due south roof, 45 pitch, no shade.

5.7kWh AES Storion battery
    12 x Bisol 390w MC modules - 4.68kp
    Bisol Mounting system
    1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch
    AC Switch Gear
    Alpha 5 kWp Inverter

€10,500 (inclusive of VAT)
    + €500 (Eddie HW Diverter)
    + €1800 (Additional AES 5.7kW battery)
    - €3,000 (SEAI Grant)

With an PV self-sufficiency of 59%, I roughly reckon it would payback in 25yrs which is bonkers. Considering BEV in next year or two so that'll push up demand and lower the amortization period, but still don't know if it's worth, even with potential feedin.

Anyone know of a honest, independent energy assessor in the west who would come out and explain my options ?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Paull76 wrote: »
    Hi all. I am a Reci Electrician installing systems of behalf of a few Companies so do not want to give any input as in to what system is best , most economic etc. All I will advise is that if you are planning on getting a system in do it quickly as material prices are increasing by 10/15 percent this year and Installation price will increase substantially as Reci have now requested that for every new Installation not only does the new Circuit have to be safe and up to current regulations the whole house has to be tested and any non conformances fixed before the PV installation can begin. As you can imagine most houses looking for the grant will need work done and the cost of an Electrical survey alone will be considerable.

Thanks for the information Paul.

Once again, RECI have figured out how they can be make some money for their members. This has nothing to do with safety and all to do with greed and self interest. Despicable organization and I'll be talking to my 'elected representatives' at my next meeting with them about the renewal next year of safe electric.

Worse, not only will this NOT make solar installs safer, it will drive people to DIY the systems. If doing it DIY is cheaper than getting it done via the grants system then people won't bother with the grant and just bypass the system?

And, why would anyone try and install solar with the risk that they will get landed with a substantial bill to 'fix' other items? If it was me I certainly wouldn't bother - not worth the hassle.

jkforde wrote: »
    Got a quote yesterday for small 4 bedroom dormer C2 BER and low-moderate electricity demand (last year €660 from EI with Super Saver tarrif), lots of due south roof, 45 pitch, no shade.

Bisol Mounting system
    AC Switch Gear
    Alpha 5 kWp Inverter

- €3,000 (SEAI Grant)

With an PV self-sufficiency of 59%, I roughly reckon it would payback in 25yrs which is bonkers. Considering BEV in next year or two so that'll push up demand and lower the amortization period, but still don't know if it's worth, even with potential feedin.

Anyone know of a honest, independent energy assessor in the west who would come out and explain my options ?

Yet another high quote - if I'm reading it right. Are we talking 12800 before grant? Walk away is my advice. I'll PM you a recommendation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

jkforde wrote: »

Bisol Mounting system
    AC Switch Gear
    Alpha 5 kWp Inverter

- €3,000 (SEAI Grant)

As Deagol said that's a high (but not crazy) price, I got a 7.3kWp, 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter,2.4kW battery, all safety switches/cabling/brackets etc
    Gross cost of €8,620, less grant of €3,000, net cost of €5,620
    If I roughly bring my quote up to 4.8kW battery then looking at € net comparable cost of €6.4k versus your €7.5k and that's with a 30% bigger array.
    I don't send unsolicited PM so PM me if you want the installer details...

Please, Please, Please

Anyone wondering about the value of quotes, look at prices from either midsummer.ie or solartricity.ie. installer quotes are giving you most of the components.

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    Please, Please, Please

Anyone wondering about the value of quotes, look at prices from either midsummer.ie or solartricity.ie. installer quotes are giving you most of the components.

I agree it's a good starting place but are you sure about 20% "discount", also a private individual will need to pay 21% VAT versus an installer paying 13.5% VAT sticking to 2/3rds rule

I agree it's a good starting place but are you sure about 20% "discount", also a private individual will need to pay 21% VAT versus an installer paying 13.5% VAT sticking to 2/3rds rule

Perhaps the utopian approach would be to get an honest installer who could use their discount to make a little for themselves while also passing some of the savings on to you as well.

Would that be asking for too much? Seems like to some, it would be.

I think that's where we're seeing the crowds that are pricing mile high, quite simply they get enough business to keep their pattern going.
    Personally I have great distaste to that but you have to also say good luck to them

I think that's where we're seeing the crowds that are pricing mile high, quite simply they get enough business to keep their pattern going.
    Personally I have great distaste to that but you have to also say good luck to them

The blissfully unaware who either do not know, or want to know, that it is possible to shop around for great deals.
    These are the bread and butter to the gougers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jesus, tis hard enough make the figures work on retrofit as it is..

Rule 551.9.4 clarification for PV installers.

Safe Electric are saying that this rule was always in place but that NSAI have now changed their interpretation of this existing rule and Safe Electric are bound by this.
    In theory an Electrician now had to do a survey and recitfify any problems and Certify that the house is now compliant. In most cases the homeowner will get the Survey and then once notified of the improvements and cost of same will not go with the PV install. In this scenario who is going to pay the electrician for this survey? I am sure the homeowner won't and sure the PV Company cannot either as they won't get the sale..

Rule 551.9.4 clarification for PV installers.

Safe Electric are saying that this rule was always in place but that NSAI have now changed their interpretation of this existing rule and Safe Electric are bound by this.
    In theory an Electrician now had to do a survey and recitfify any problems and Certify that the house is now compliant. In most cases the homeowner will get the Survey and then once notified of the improvements and cost of same will not go with the PV install. In this scenario who is going to pay the electrician for this survey? I am sure the homeowner won't and sure the PV Company cannot either as they won't get the sale..

Of course, there's no chance any non-compliances will be referred back to the electrician who signed off on the build originally? - funny how that works isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The whole thing is just designed from the ground up to ensure the ordinary Joe has less in their pocket at the end of the day

If you were a high flying investor coming in to launch your solar farm the politicians will be falling over themselves to ensure the commercial viability of your project

Whereas with domestic solar if it looks like the end user might actually save a bit theyll be closing the loophole fairly rapid

As the majority of Installations are Grant based these houses are 10 plus years old. If it is the case that these house's have to conform with the regulations at the time of Construction it will be will still be a headache but if they have to conform to today's standards then it will just be unworkable.

As someone said up above, the consumer gets absolutely shafted yet again.

• Advertisement

As the majority of Installations are Grant based these houses are 10 plus years old. If it is the case that these house's have to conform with the regulations at the time of Construction it will be will still be a headache but if they have to conform to today's standards then it will just be unworkable.

Had that argument with an electrician in my last house. He tried to tell me I had to spend several hundred euro changing something because it didn't conform to current code even though I pointed out several times that the house was built in 1984 and conformed then. He tried to tell me he had authority to turn off the power to my home until it was corrected. At which point I gave him a choice on mode of transport that he'd be leaving my property in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭idc

Please, Please, Please

I've used the midsummers kit building option where you specify size of array and inverter and it picks rails, isolators, cables, safety labels, etc. And although they don't sell the exact same model/size of panel i got and they don't sell the same inverter. I played around switching different inverters and batteries to compare prices. the cheapest i got was 7700 inc VAT. Possibly other rails/fixing kits than what is automatically chosen are slightly cheaper. Yet with grant and using an installer cost was 8400. So for 700 euros in difference installer made far more sense for me. Plus the 7700 doesn't include cost/time doing it myself or for paying electrician.

idc wrote: »
    I've used the midsummers kit building option where you specify size of array and inverter and it picks rails, isolators, cables, safety labels, etc. And although they don't sell the exact same model/size of panel i got and they don't sell the same inverter. I played around switching different inverters and batteries to compare prices. the cheapest i got was 7700 inc VAT. Possibly other rails/fixing kits than what is automatically chosen are slightly cheaper. Yet with grant and using an installer cost was 8400. So for 700 euros in difference installer made far more sense for me. Plus the 7700 doesn't include cost/time doing it myself or for paying electrician.

What did you get for 7700?? That's an awful lot of kit!

Deagol wrote: »
    What did you get for 7700?? That's an awful lot of kit!
    Note: I havn't bought this - i did this as an exercise to compare installer price versus one of the shops that people recommend to but kit on its own but happy for anyone to comment and suggest what on the list that the kit builder includes is or isn't needed!!!

So using the kit build i configured three arrays to match what i have installed - one with 7 panels in two rows (3 + 4) portrait , second one is 6 in one row portrait and combined with that is 2 panels landscape.

I then picked Solis 5.0kW Hybrid Inverter (instead of the Alpha ESS 5 kW hybrid i have) For panels i picked Q Cells 350W black frames which as substitute for my 360W Bisol panels. I also forget to add two Pylon 2.4 batteries to almost match my 5.7 Alpha battery (I only added one pylon -- adding a second increases the overall total to 9874!)

List of items kit builder provided as follows: (look maybe a lot of this is not needed ? overkill? most expensive versions of rails/cables/etc!!)

I am curious out of this list what isn't needed or maybe instead of all Fastensol stuff there is a cheaper alternative (I just didn't feel like changing each and every small item to work out the cheapest prices for rails/cables/caps etc!)

15   Q Cells 350W black frame mono split cell                  €1,753.50
    1    Set of SEAI compliant PV warning labels                       €8.40
    1    Projoy 4 Pole Fire Safety Switch                            €156.00
    2    2 Kraus and Naimer AC Isolator - KG20 T203 - 25A 3 Pole      €61.20
    2    Kraus and Naimer DC Isolator - KG20 T104 - 2 Pole 1string    €80.86
    4    MC4 4mm cable connector pair                                 €11.96
    1    4mm2 Solar PV DC Cable 50m Reel                              €37.80
    20   Fastensol Black End Clamp (30mm)                             €37.60
    20   Fastensol Black Mid Clamp (30mm)                             €37.60
    20   Fastensol Rubber Rail End Cap (Black)                        €36.00
    32   Fastensol Concrete or Pan Tile Roof Hook - Portrait         €201.60
    8    Fastensol Rail Splice                                        €28.56
    12   Fastensol 3150mm Silver Rail                                €216.00
    8    Fastensol Concrete or Pan Tile Roof Hook - Landscape         €50.40
    1    Eddi Immersion Controller                                   €435.50
    1    Solis 5.0kW Hybrid Inverter                               €1,339.00
    1    Pylon 2.4kwh US2000 Plus Li-ion Battery                   €1,768.00

Total (exc vat)                                            €6,259.98
        VAT                                                        €1,439.80
        Total                                                      €7,699.78

Is it just me or does that Pylontech battery price look way too high?

idc wrote: »

You're missing the point here

Your calculation was 7700 (incl VAT), which means the installer can buy it for at most 6100 (inc VAT). But the installer quote was 11400 (before grant deduction)

So that's what I mean - the quote has a €5k mark up at least. That does not sound like the best of deals to me.

So this is nothing about going a DIY route. It's about finding the right price you SHOULD be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

You would have to factor in that the ESS inverter battery are in the one module and have the fancy factor - lots of options Alexa integration... also bisol panels all black again look much better on different houses - I’m sure there was wiggle room on the quote so it’s not that bad I’ve seen worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

1300+ for a Ginlong inverter? I'd cut their throats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

No thats what they are selling them for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

1300+ for a Ginlong inverter? I'd cut their throats..

Would love to know where can be got cheaper as you make it sound like can be got for half that price elsewhere?

Even looking at 3kw hybrid inverter isn't far off that price.

Appreciate link for it elsewhere if can be got a good bit less. Cheers

You're missing the point here

Your calculation was 7700 (incl VAT), which means the installer can buy it for at most 6100 (inc VAT). But the installer quote was 11400 (before grant deduction)

So that's what I mean - the quote has a €5k mark up at least. That does not sound like the best of deals to me.

So this is nothing about going a DIY route. It's about finding the right price you SHOULD be paying.

Based on all the quotes I got I am still happy with the price I paid (to be honest every installer i spoke to quoted 7000 or higher after grant, and not all the prices are 100% comparable - eg different watt per panel or different sized batteries, different UPS options - none, single socket, whole house)

I still think my figures make sense even if your right and the installer is getting the equipment for 6100. At the end of the day for me anyway i paid 8400 for a fully installed system yet in comparison a DIY job would of cost 7700 without it even being installed! A DIY job would not include grant or electrician or time/effort for me to install it.

That's where I'm confused lots of people come on here claiming a DIY install is much cheaper yet if i went out and bought all the parts direct vs paying installer an extra 700 euro. To me the 700 is a no brainer - installer does installs every day, they have the scafolding, they include electrician, dealing with SEAI. etc.

I do see your point that installer could be getting a 5k markup but thats not just the cost of equipment, there labour (the 2 lads fitting panels, the electrician who came out for 1.5 days) and other costs.

I also think the biggest DIY install headache is safe roof working, going with a professional moves this entire risk. Lots of DIY or equipment costs do not reflect this huge headache/cost.

The cost of a BER is never factored in here when you are discussing jobs. That is another €300 the Installers have to factor in.

Keep looking then, my BER was €250, also some folk are not getting grants so not relevant always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭jkforde

To battery or not to battery? As a total noob and technically challenged!, I'm mulling over the various options and I'm siding on not going for battery at all, so.. consume > divert to HW > divert to BEV (when I get one!) > grid feed-in (whenever ESBN gets around to finishing the new meter rollout!).. straightforward to configue this now to fit future needs?

going to drive whoever I consult with bonkers with my ignorance!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Advertisement

We are a two BEV household, PV goes to house first, then hot water or BEV, night rate is so low in this country and batteries are so expensive I cannot see any payback if going BEV route (don't forget you also need to get a hybrid inverter with a battery setup which is double the cost of an straight single phase inverter)...Grid feed in will commence July 1st this year, that is confirmed

sebdavis wrote: »
    No thats what they are selling them for

Sorry but no, €1,768 ex VAT is loopy, Midsummer have them at €884 ex VAT, £602 ex VAT in the UK if that’s a possible source for anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry but no, €1,768 ex VAT is loopy, Midsummer have them at €884 ex VAT, £602 ex VAT in the UK if that’s a possible source for anyone

Agreed, if I remember correctly my installer was just over €1k for the PylonTech I got, then minus grant.

Keep looking then, my BER was €250, also some folk are not getting grants so not relevant always.
    My BER was €180. There are some perks in living in the wild North West.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Agreed, if I remember correctly my installer was just over €1k for the PylonTech I got, then minus grant.

My BER was €180. There are some perks in living in the wild North West.

Crowd in Tallaght do them for max of €140 if you do a google!

Deagol wrote: »
    Crowd in Tallaght do them for max of €140 if you do a google!

Does that cover both the before and after BER assessments?
    I assume there are two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

kippy wrote: »
    Does that cover both the before and after BER assessments?
    I assume there are two.

Incorrect, Only an after required for Solar PV Grant.

E30M3 wrote: »
    Incorrect, Only an after required for Solar PV Grant.

I assumed the 300 quid quoted earlier for it was for two - that is pricy for 1!

In some cases two are needed as the 1st one will let the client know whether after installation the house will reach the standard needed to get the Grant.

In some cases two are needed as the 1st one will let the client know whether after installation the house will reach the standard needed to get the Grant.

A useful check if you live in the likes of an estate is to check houses for sale/sold and their BER, this will give you an indication if other house of similar build

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tarant

About that Battery

I got 2.4kw/h pylontech with Solis Inverter and the Wifi stick. 2k extra for the install.

But I just love that it records every electron. It tells me where and when I use my own, how much I am wasting, who are the real suckers (dam those extra long showers) all day and night like a smart meter I guess.

And I do think (smart) loadshifting is number 2 to go greener after trying to reduce consumption.

Would really love V2H/G with some decent incentives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

884 x 2 = 1768.

Thought an accountant would spot that :p

His post (2428) has quantity at 1!!

His post (2428) has quantity at 1!!

I guess that was my post and in copying over details I messed up number of batteries. I remember when I posted was slightly surprised as was sure I had originally picked 2 batteries to match my 5.7 kWh batteries !!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ummagumma_78

’ve been following this thread for awhile and am looking for some feedback on the following system.

Amerisolar 320W x 12
    Solis 3.6k Hybrid inverter
    Pylon Tech US2000 2.4kW Battery
    My Energi Eddi Hot water Diverter

€6205 after grant is current best quote.

50:50 split in panels on 2 strings between south and east facing roof space.
    Family of 5 with main shower fed from cylinder hence the Eddi.
    Not decided on the battery. The intention would be to get an EV in the next 2 years and it would seem logical to avail of the grant to get installed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

’ve been following this thread for awhile and am looking for some feedback on the following system.

Amerisolar 320W x 12
    Solis 3.6k Hybrid inverter
    Pylon Tech US2000 2.4kW Battery
    My Energi Eddi Hot water Diverter

€6205 after grant is current best quote.

50:50 split in panels on 2 strings between south and east facing roof space.
    Family of 5 with main shower fed from cylinder hence the Eddi.
    Not decided on the battery. The intention would be to get an EV in the next 2 years and it would seem logical to avail of the grant to get installed now.

I have a similar system, with 14 panels,eddi,2.4kw battery, WiFi monitoring and 5kw inverter. It cost me €6400 nett, 18 months ago.
    Costs should have come down since then, and if I was doing it again I wouldn't go for the eddi, as I don't think it's worth it tbh. As others have said on here previously, fit as many panels as possible and go for the 5kw inverter.
    Check your pm's.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement