Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

’ve been following this thread for awhile and am looking for some feedback on the following system.

Amerisolar 320W x 12
    Solis 3.6k Hybrid inverter
    Pylon Tech US2000 2.4kW Battery
    My Energi Eddi Hot water Diverter

€6205 after grant is current best quote.

50:50 split in panels on 2 strings between south and east facing roof space.
    Family of 5 with main shower fed from cylinder hence the Eddi.
    Not decided on the battery. The intention would be to get an EV in the next 2 years and it would seem logical to avail of the grant to get installed now.

Get a 5kw inverter and get as many panels as you can fit. Get as much on the south as you can. no harm with a battery imo it will maximize the grant 3k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

’ve been following this thread for awhile and am looking for some feedback on the following system.

Amerisolar 320W x 12

Not decided on the battery. The intention would be to get an EV in the next 2 years and it would seem logical to avail of the grant to get installed now.

Still very high, I'll PM you a supplier to try.

I like my eddi but financially I'm not sure it will ever pay once the FIT comes in.
    The battery is a no brainer for me, 5c (when FIT arrives) out vs 14c in. So 9c saved per kw - over 10 years that's >€1000. With carbon tax going to 100e a ton energy costs are just going to keep rising so I think that €1000 will become a higher number in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Tradnuts

Amerisolar 320W x 12

I would say it’s a little high. But not much.
    Get a 5kw hybrid for sure. They are only a tiny bit extra. 100 euro or something. Very little anyways.
    Get more panels thrown in if you can fit them.
    I got a 20 panel, 6.8kw system with 2.4kwh pylontech and solar iBoost for €6,800 after grant.
    So yours seems a little high alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Not a quote as such but I was punching some numbers in Excel.
    Going with a ground mount 5kWp system, no battery or eddi as we will probably have a phev at home for most of the day (have a Leaf but that isn't home during the day).

From the pvgis web site I downloaded the hourly data of actual sunshine and worked out the hourly data for an average year.
    I went out and used a theodolite app on the phone to get an accuratish horizon including houses/ trees
    I've also got data of electricity usage also hourly, a bit patchy but 2017 was near complete.
    End result: when facing SW at 33deg
    Max gen: 3945 kWhr/yr
    Act pv that would've been used: €404 (@8c / 16c night/day rate)
    Not used: €219

Cost of system (solartricity) €3300 (14 panel, no battery)
    Say €1200 for ground mount/sparks etc

So a payback of 7-10 years depending on how much of that extra I can use. This is compared to 25yrs payback for a quote from an "active" company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KAGY wrote: »
    Max gen: 3945 kWhr/yr
    Act pv that would've been used: €404 (@8c / 16c night/day rate)

How did you calculate the €404 per year savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

So a payback of 7-10 years depending on how much of that extra I can use. This is compared to 25yrs payback for a quote from an "active" company

Thats a pretty short payback, i know its not all about payback and more about the environment . if you can self install that system you are on to a winner. Its a good feeling when you finally know its paid back and you are in the green. It took me about 11 years to clear all my original outlay. Self install also. I originally had to pay for planning and there was no grant. Getting paid excees from the grid helped alot.

unkel wrote: »
    How did you calculate the €404 per year savings?

A direct hour by hour comparison between my actual usage in 2017 and the data from pvgis. 8c/kwhr < 8am and 16c other times as I have dual rate meter.

So that doesn't account for changes in habit to maximise utility, but also misses any short team peaks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Switch provider, you’re paying 2c more than Energia night/day rates

A direct hour by hour comparison between my actual usage in 2017 and the data from pvgis. 8c/kwhr < 8am and 16c other times as I have dual rate meter.

Not quite sure what you mean. But your maximum theoretical saving is 3945 units produced * 14c (Energia) = about €550 if you use every single unit, send nothing to car, nothing to immersion, nothing to battery, nothing back to the grid and don't use any of those units for use that you could have done during the night (like running appliances like dish washer and washing machine / dryer)

A real saving of over €400 sounds very optimistic to me

• Advertisement

Not quite sure what you mean. But your maximum theoretical saving is 3945 units produced * 14c (Energia) = about €550 if you use every single unit, send nothing to car, nothing to immersion, nothing to battery, nothing back to the grid and don't use any of those units for use that you could have done during the night (like running appliances like dish washer and washing machine / dryer)

A real saving of over €400 sounds very optimistic to me

Using 14 instead of 16c would drop that by 12.5% to €350
    But what I compared it to was actual usage recorded, we do run some things at night but day time use is high too, more than 1 load a day, electric oven, heat pump (mostly night, but would certainly use all the early morning solar), wife works from home and normally has an extra heater in the office.
    Yes, we could make free savings by changing somethings but the point is we didn't :-)

Now I might go back and look through the data, maybe try a to make another file out of the patchy data from other years.

But add in the fact that there might be 2 phev/evs and realistically only one will be plugged in at night i think our utilisation will be quite high. Even a 10-12 year payback would be good.

And part of getting solar panels is the green feel:-)

Oh aye and with a bit of micro management you can sure get your solar utilisation up really high. But we have to be realistic about the real savings. Your heat pump using all the early morning solar and your electric cars on solar are saving 8c at best, not 14c

Or even more dramatically - Energia have just launched an EV special plan that only charges 4.79c (incl. VAT) per unit during night rate, I joined this plan myself. So the savings are even less compared to just calculating nearly the full production at full day rates. I'm all for renewables and for individuals installing big PV systems and using a lot of it yourself (have done it myself too), but we have to be realistic about the real savings in terms of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

so after a bit of shopping around he's my best quote

5.7kw system, 16 no. 350w longhi pv panels, solis hybrid invertor, no battery storage with ground mount system , south facing, installed ( no grant available) for approx 7600 inc vat. I have a zappi already & an EV with large battery

I was looking at doing a DIY install, but the electrician quotes were all a bit too high after i bought the gear myself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

jordan191 wrote: »

5.7kw system, 16 no. 350w longhi pv panels, solis hybrid invertor, no battery storage with ground mount system , south facing, installed ( no grant available) for approx 7600 inc vat. I have a zappi already & an EV with large battery

I was looking at doing a DIY install, but the electrician quotes were all a bit too high after i bought the gear myself
    Why a hybrid if you don't have any battery?

ah just to future proof putting in a battery

Beware, some Hybrid inverters need battery power to start up in the morning, no idea if Solis ones do.
    Your Hybrid inverter will be twice the cost of a single phase inverter, seems a waste given you have a diverter and EV, better off with putting your money into more panels (or higher wattage panels) and a 6kWp non-hybid inverter IMHO

• Advertisement

Oh aye and with a bit of micro management you can sure get your solar utilisation up really high. But we have to be realistic about the real savings. Your heat pump using all the early morning solar and your electric cars on solar are saving 8c at best, not 14c
    I had accounted for the 8c before 8am. However, the micro management, or lack thereof, works both ways... that's why I did a direct comparison without management. If I had that set up in 2017, without making any changes, that would have been close to the amount I saved. Yes by micromanaging I could move some of my load to night, but I don't.

And we'll have two EV's, so one will be charged during the day. I'm not paying another €600 for a second Zappi, and two cars charging, plus the heat pump, plus the dishwasher, washing machine etc might be stretching the 63A connection at times.

I understand your concern about the back of envelope best case scenarios, I've seen some that include near doubling of electricity prices. There are a load of things I didn't include, FIT, price increases, maintenance, haggling, but I'm sure I've got it within 15%.

In your opinion, and I'm talking ball park, off the top of your head figure here, what percentage utilisation would you suggest would be "normal" for a 5kWp, non battery setup with an EV?

And we'll have two EV's, so one will be charged during the day. I'm not paying another €600 for a second Zappi, and two cars charging, plus the heat pump, plus the dishwasher, washing machine etc might be stretching the 63A connection at times....

I've two EV's too, currently running the Leaf of pure PV power.
    Hopefully come high wattage days I can charge one EV off the Zappi2 and I put in an outside socket to trickle the other EV.
    Not quite there yet in terms of generation but it will happen, especially if my third string comes to fruition

Were you buying or building the ground mount system? And how much was that out of your 7600

its a renosul Consol Plastic tub system, similar to the type placed on flat roofs, didn't get the full quote yet

And we'll have two EV's, so one will be charged during the day.

Maybe it seems I'm playing devil's advocate here, but why would you not charge on alternate nights?

9 hours night rate * 7.4kW = 67kWh, say after losses 60kWh into the cars. At say 17kWh / 100km that is a range of 350km per day or nearly 130k km per year. Surely you don't do anywhere near that between your two cars?

• Advertisement

Maybe it seems I'm playing devil's advocate here, but why would you not charge on alternate nights?
    ?
    Just maybe :-)
    Wouldn't i love to have 60kWh of ev. Leaf 3.3kW/24kWh @ 90% soh doing 100-120km most days, will hopefully be getting outlander (it suits our family and wife's occasional need for light off road)

its a renosul Consol Plastic tub system, similar to the type placed on flat roofs, didn't get the full quote yet

I saw those, I had originally discounted them because I thought the 25deg angle was too far off the optimal 54deg. However, I've now realised that is only for panels facing due south. PVGIS calculated for my site facing sw the optimal is 33 so I might price them again .
    I'm going to design up a unistrut frame, I have to redo my percolation area on top of which I'm putting the panels so I'll get them to put in a few concrete ballasts, I worked out about 200kg per panel which seems to tie in with renusol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

I have a PHEV and looking to get some solar as I am finding I am charging the vehicle during the day now and not just at night.

I was initially looking at going for a 4 or 5kwh solar setup but not sure about installing a battery just yet but would like the option later down the line.

I have a max budget of €5k so has anyone received a quote for this type of system and would this system be ok?

I see this kit available for about €5k and think then I would also be entitled to a €3k grant which would bring the cost back down to €2k so would I be able to get the install done for another €2k to bring the price in total to €4k after the grant?
    https://solartricity.ie/grant-kit-2x7-panel-1/

reni10 wrote: »
    I have a PHEV and looking to get some solar as I am finding I am charging the vehicle during the day now and not just at night.

I was initially looking at going for a 4 or 5kwh solar setup but not sure about installing a battery just yet but would like the option later down the line.

I have a max budget of €5k so has anyone received a quote for this type of system and would this system be ok?

https://solartricity.ie/question/if-i-buy-from-you-and-install-via-an-seai-installer-can-i-qualify-for-seai-grants/
    See above, if you are getting an installer get them to buy the kit 13.5% vs 23% vat ie approx €5100 vs €5500

I see this kit available for about €5k and think then I would also be entitled to a €3k grant which would bring the cost back down to €2k so would I be able to get the install done for another €2k to bring the price in total to €4k after the grant?

5K should be more enough to get a 6kw system without a battery.
    PM sent.

https://solartricity.ie/question/if-i-buy-from-you-and-install-via-an-seai-installer-can-i-qualify-for-seai-grants/
    See above, if you are getting an installer get them to buy the kit 13.5% vs 23% vat ie approx €5100 vs €5500

Installer will get this VAT rate only if using 2/3rds rule, so this will depend on installer labour/margin rate.

You’re spending a lot of extra money on a hybrid inverter and small battery, there will be losses on generation going in and back out from battery.
    Why do this when you’ve a bigger battery in your PHEV?
    I’d forget about the hybrid/battery setup and go for more/higher wattage panels and 6kWh Inverter, maybe some optimisers if you have shading...

slave1 wrote: »
    You’re spending a lot of extra money on a hybrid inverter and small battery, there will be losses on generation going in and back out from battery.
    Why do this when you’ve a bigger battery in your PHEV?
    I’d forget about the hybrid/battery setup and go for more/higher wattage panels and 6kWh Inverter, maybe some optimisers if you have shading...

I have a South facing roof and no shading so the idea was to get that side of the roof covered with 7x2 360w panels for about 5kw of solar.

I also have a Zappi EV charger on the way so wanted to be able to charge the PHEV from solar whenever it is there.

Is €5k after the grant realistic for a 5kw setup with battery installed or am I way off the mark?

I have a South facing roof and no shading so the idea was to get that side of the roof covered with 7x2 360w panels for about 5kw of solar.

I also have a Zappi EV charger on the way so wanted to be able to charge the PHEV from solar whenever it is there.

Is €5k after the grant realistic for a 5kw setup with battery installed or am I way off the mark?

I got 18 Canadian Solar 410w panels (so 7.4kWp), 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter, a PylonTech 2.4 kw including mounting bracket and all safety switches/cables/isolators etc for €5.6k after grant payment of €3k.
    So I would say take away my extra panels and you are right there at the €5k mark.
    If you want installer details please PM.

slave1 wrote: »
    I got 18 Canadian Solar 410w panels (so 7.4kWp), 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter, a PylonTech 2.4 kw including mounting bracket and all safety switches/cables/isolators etc for €5.6k after grant payment of €3k.
    So I would say take away my extra panels and you are right there at the €5k mark.
    If you want installer details please PM.

PM sent and if anyone else has any installers that they have used that will do the job for €5k after grant or less then please PM me too.

• Advertisement

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    5K should be more enough to get a 6kw system without a battery.
    PM sent.

Does that include the grant?

I'm looking at 4 to 5kw system on a roof renovation. Not too bothered about battery.
    No idea what ballpark to budget

Does that include the grant?

I'm looking at 4 to 5kw system on a roof renovation. Not too bothered about battery.
    No idea what ballpark to budget

After grant.

Was looking for a 2021 thread so completely blew past this and ended up posting in a 2018 thread, which was still active this month...

Anyhoo
    Is there any good place to grab an average install cost?
    Rather not have full court sales press before I know the ballpark

Or if anyone would have an idea on a south by southwest facing house in North Cork.

So by the time I got around to starting to seriously consider this COVID hit and everything ground to a halt.

Asked for a quote, from local company today and will move from here.
    Roof is about 17m long, 2.5 high, with a facing of 157deg SE.

Will see what they come back with.

Did anyone here go about the lower rate mortgages, based on the improved BER rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Opinions on smaller solar setups? Have a quote for a 2.53Kwh system for 2400 after grant

deleted

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Is that a*deleted* set up?

No, a company near me (removing name as per charter).

No, a company near me called....

My bad i shouldn't have mentioned a company name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Opinions on smaller solar setups? Have a quote for a 2.53Kwh system for 2400 after grant

That's a good price so, less than a euro per W installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

No, a company near me (removing name as per charter).
    They are doing a lot of advertising at present, I think have the right company you can pay off over 10 years at 20 euro a month as well.
    Don't think they are doing any installs at present with covid lockdown.

Alkers wrote: »
    That's a good price so, less than a euro per W installed.

Looking back through this thread, it looks like the same company you used. Could you pm me some details on what they installed equipment wise and what your experience was like? Have you posted any output details in the generation thread?

Thanks!

Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

Hi Maulbrook, please pm me the installer details mentioned in your post of March 20th. Thanks, David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hi Maulbrook, please pm me the installer details mentioned in your post of March 20th. Thanks, David.

I wouldn't be posting my email address on a public forum...

Plus if he is going to pm you he doesn't need it.

raytaxi wrote: »
    They are doing a lot of advertising at present, I think have the right company you can pay off over 10 years at 20 euro a month as well.
    Don't think they are doing any installs at present with covid lockdown.

Yes, that's them. Had a good chat with them, and no hard selling at all, which is appreciated. Not sure on the status of their installs, haven't got that far yet. Still 50:50 on whether to move forward or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I found them least pushy and no upselling that you need this or that. Price wise found them reasonable for base system, lot cheaper than a couple of other quotes i got with a lot more hard selling as well.
    Yes, that's them. Had a good chat with them, and no hard selling at all, which is appreciated. Not sure on the status of their installs, haven't got that far yet. Still 50:50 on whether to move forward or not.

• Advertisement

Could you please pm me their contact?

Could you please pm me their contact?

Sent

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Hi completely new to this, and have been reading through the thread to try and understand what I need to be looking at, and fair play to everyone there is a hell of a lot of info on here to take in as to what system suits.

I'm going to be changing to an EV soon, and am currently looking at Home chargers, and as a result this has put the whole Solar PV stuff into my mind about being able to charge the car, at times, from solar. I'd probably be looking to a budget of between 4-6k net of grants to see what type of system I can get.

I'll look to get 3 estimates and was wondering what companies people have used, and were happy with their installations, I'm based in Drogheda and garden is SE facing. I understand if its not right to mention company names in the thread, so would appreciate a PM from people who were happy with the company they used and if you want to share. what type of system you went with that would be awesome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pm sent

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement