Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lush wrote: »
    UPDATE

I have now finally a quotation from a well-documented and used company here on the boards...

Here are their quotes BEFORE the grant, remember they handle the grant application so take the grant directly & require a 25% deposit which I think is fair. The grant for the 10 panel with a battery option has a possible value of €3000 according to the grant application:

10 PANELS 340 WATT JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

2.4 PYLON TEC BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS INVERTER.
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE.

PRICE 7900 EUROS INC.VAT.

MINUS BATTERY 6900 EUROS INC VAT.

8 PANELS 340 WATT JA SOLAR
    2.4 PYLON TEC BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS INVERTER.
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE

PRICE 7400 EUROS INC, VAT.

MINUS BATTERY 6400 EUROS INC.VAT.

PM me for details if you want the companies details.

:cool:

What do you mean by "take the grant directly" e.g.

2.4 PYLON TEC BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS INVERTER.
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE.

Is that €7.9k before grant which means €4.9k after grant, but surely not that they keep the €3k grant.
    In any case the €7.9k can be bettered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

UPDATE

I have now finally a quotation from a well-documented and used company here on the boards...

Here are their quotes BEFORE the grant, remember they handle the grant application so take the grant directly & require a 25% deposit which I think is fair. The grant for the 10 panel with a battery option has a possible value of €3000 according to the grant application:

2.4 PYLON TEC BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS INVERTER.
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE.

MINUS BATTERY 6900 EUROS INC VAT.

8 PANELS 340 WATT JA SOLAR
    2.4 PYLON TEC BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS INVERTER.
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE

PRICE 7400 EUROS INC, VAT.

MINUS BATTERY 6400 EUROS INC.VAT.

PM me for details if you want the companies details.

:cool:

I wouldn't be singing the praises of the company who gave you the quotes. way too high for what your getting.

You can get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    I wouldn't be singing the praises of the company who gave you the quotes. way too high for what your getting.

You can get better.

Would appreciate some direction so please, as I've talked with many companies, asked for quotes, some don't even bother replying. These 3 quotes I've put up are the companies who bothered contacting me back and then gave a quote. The 3rd quote is one from a company that was recommended by many people here on the thread.

I know how much the parts cost, I've been in business buying similar products, it's the expertise in installing & aftercare that matters too I guess. I don't have the ability to install them on my house roof for sure, or the qualifications to connect them up to the ESB. So I need a reputable company to install them really & there's not that many around really it appears, plenty of fly by nights though.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

plenty of fly by nights though.

Of course there are, especially earning a good few €k for a day and a half's work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

slave1 wrote: »
    Is that €7.9k before grant which means €4.9k after grant, but surely not that they keep the €3k grant.

I believe it means that the price is €7.9k, so €4.9k after the grant.

So Lush would only pay €4.9k and the company would get the other €3k from the grant payment.

Perfectly sensible if you ask me. Rather than Lush pay €7.9k and then possibly end up with issues down the line if the SEAI find a problem and won't pay out.

If the grant is going to the company directly then the onus is on them to ensure that (a)everything is done to spec and (b)the paperwork is processed in a timely manner.

When I was pricing a year ago people here told me that I should push for the payment to be done that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

2.4 PYLON TEC BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS INVERTER.
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE.

The price is before the grant, which at the 3.4kW & a battery would be €2700 max.

They would have the grant paid directly to them, so I would only pay for the amount less the grant, €5200. They have to ensure that the installation meets the requirements so it's in their interests to do it right otherwise they don't get the grant. Plenty of others follow the same process.

Get the bigger inverter 5kw.

Am I right in leaving out a battery?

Been the best quote I've gotten so far, some have been outrageous, and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. Was thinking the same on the inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

South to SE facing pitched roof

€7,220 for 3.1kW , 9 x Qcells 335w split-cell all blk mono PERC
    With Solis Hybrid Inverter x1
    And PureDrive II - 5kW Battery

Cost inc VAT €9,950
    grant - €2,730
    (€3000 PV & Battery, €600 EV charger)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

2.4 PYLON TEC BATTERY
    3.6 SOLIS INVERTER.
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE.

Bigger inverter and more panels for cheaper price. PM me if you want the company i went with.

Am I right in leaving out a battery?

Been the best quote I've gotten so far, some have been outrageous, and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. Was thinking the same on the inverter

Personally i would go for a battery, some on here say no but i have found it works out very well.

• Advertisement

South to SE facing pitched roof

€7,220 for 3.1kW , 9 x Qcells 335w split-cell all blk mono PERC
    With Solis Hybrid Inverter x1
    And PureDrive II - 5kW Battery

Cost inc VAT €9,950
    grant - €2,730
    (€3000 PV & Battery, €600 EV charger)

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Personally i would go for a battery, some on here say no but i have found it works out very well.

Me too, if it was not for the battery there would be some waste of generation, unless you have an elector car that can take the excess. The reason is generation and demand don't line up. You'll generate most during mid day, but use most in the evening. The only way no battery works (IMHO) is if Fit comes into play and as fair for use and generation, though I doubt it will be.

It's all about being able to get the batteries at the right money. So if they are grant aided, it makes sense to get the likes of a single Pylontech. But a second would then be proportionally way more expensive.

Going a DIY battery route can be very cost effective (about €1300 for 10kW), but that about the only circumstance that I can see that makes the numbers stack up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

tails_naf wrote: »
    The only way no battery works (IMHO) is if Fit comes into play...

Which is almost a certainty now.... Jul 2021 and onwards. Fine detail to be published, but the consultation docs looked somewhat promising.

tails_naf wrote: »
    The only way no battery works (IMHO) is if Fit comes into play and as fair for use and generation, though I doubt it will be.

What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

KCross wrote: »
    Which is almost a certainty now.... Jul 2021 and onwards. Fine detail to be published, but the consultation docs looked somewhat promising.

What does that mean?

Unit in unit out. Not going to happen more like 5 cent per unit or there about

Same price with the 5kw inverter.

championc wrote: »
    It's all about being able to get the batteries at the right money. So if they are grant aided, it makes sense to get the likes of a single Pylontech. But a second would then be proportionally way more expensive.

Going a DIY battery route can be very cost effective (about €1300 for 10kW), but that about the only circumstance that I can see that makes the numbers stack up

I agree to a certain degree but folk need to do the maths e.g. at this time of the year there's only a few hours of darkness ( i.e. no generation ) to cover and night rate electricity is cheap as chips.
    Yes, Oct to Feb totally different but folk can just push machines etc to night rate.

Personally what puts me off is the losses, losses from going in and back out again.

Then there's FIT where the grid will be your battery.

Also, a 6kW Hybrid Inverter is €1.3k ex VAT versus a normal Inverter at €648 ex VAT so replacement cost differential significant.

Can a battery setup financially work at those maths???
    All depends on cost I suppose, DIY the only route

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

The other thing ro remember is the battery will be sitting most of the winter doing very little if any. I would use the fit payment, cheaper electronics and shorter payback.

With all this in mind, regarding battery, and putting a 5kW inverter in at the same price.
    How am I looking here? Been the cheapest I've gotten so far, with as many panels

Can someone cast an eye over this for me, as I'm honestly going quote blind
    Before grant but would be at a lower rate, yeah?

549763.jpg

I agree to a certain degree but folk need to do the maths e.g. at this time of the year there's only a few hours of darkness ( i.e. no generation ) to cover and night rate electricity is cheap as chips.
    Yes, Oct to Feb totally different but folk can just push machines etc to night rate.

Personally what puts me off is the losses, losses from going in and back out again.

Also, a 6kW Hybrid Inverter is €1.3k ex VAT versus a normal Inverter at €648 ex VAT so replacement cost differential significant.

A number of us here have a separate AC connected Storage Inverter (Sofar ME3000), with a Normal PV Inverter. So it's the best of both worlds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

With all this in mind, regarding battery, and putting a 5kW inverter in at the same price.
    How am I looking here? Been the cheapest I've gotten so far, with as many panels

5.35kw panels with 4kw inverter - why? Inverter should be 5kw, very little price difference.

Does that include the grant or not? I suspect they are going to apply and keep the grant so that price is net?

You keep talking about night rate but forgetting that not everyone - I'm not sure but I don't think many people(?), have dual meter/ night rate. Plus from looking at it myself, night rate means higher standing charges and higher day rate. Unless you have use for the night rate (and I don't) then it doesn't stack up to have it I think?

The losses are very small - order of <5%. If you take difference between paying ~19c kwh day rate and the FIT of perhaps 5-6c does the battery still not make sense? And let's take it that electricity will not be 19c kwh this time 2 years+ with carbon taxes steadily rising?

Movement to night rate is very easy, just a phone call if you do not have the correct meter and there is no cost involved.

Yes, the standing charges and day rate are (slightly) higher but move likes of dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, immersion to night rate and its well worthwhile for average 2.4kid family, throw in an EV and then it's a no brainer.
    Cheapest Energia night rate it currently 5.23c/kWh.
    Prior to getting an EV our night rate usage was 65%, after EV it went to 80%.

But it depends in the household for sure, if just a couple without an EV then night rate much less an incentive, totally get that.

Right now at this time of the year I'm moving towards very little day usage with PV generation so the slightly higher day rates have no impact and I still enjoy the cheap night rates if we need to catch up on charging the car, water heating/dishwasher/dryer/w machine etc.

As a quick calc, just look at your usage from your last bill and throw in the night rate rates and see is it cheaper, easy as that.

Deagol wrote: »
    5.35kw panels with 4kw inverter - why? Inverter should be 5kw, very little price difference.

Does that include the grant or not? I suspect they are going to apply and keep the grant so that price is net?

No, he's upped it to 5kW at same price.

That is before the grant

No, he's upped it to 5kW at same price.

That is before the grant

So 5k net. I like that he's broken out the labour price and honestly, looks like a fair price by the time he's paid a sparks and roofer and done all the paperwork etc.

Is the BER price included or do you have to organize that? Bear in mind unless you have a recent one already you'll need two BER's for the grant. Mind PMing me who it was that quoted it?

Movement to night rate is very easy, just a phone call if you do not have the correct meter and there is no cost involved.

Yes, the standing charges and day rate are (slightly) higher but move likes of dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, immersion to night rate and its well worthwhile for average 2.4kid family, throw in an EV and then it's a no brainer.
    Cheapest Energia night rate it currently 5.23c/kWh.
    Prior to getting an EV our night rate usage was 65%, after EV it went to 80%.

But it depends in the household for sure, if just a couple without an EV then night rate much less an incentive, totally get that.

Right now at this time of the year I'm moving towards very little day usage with PV generation so the slightly higher day rates have no impact and I still enjoy the cheap night rates if we need to catch up on charging the car, water heating/dishwasher/dryer/w machine etc.

As a quick calc, just look at your usage from your last bill and throw in the night rate rates and see is it cheaper, easy as that.

Yeah, we are couple with no EV atm. Overnight, I'm using ~2.5 units - some nights I'm not using anything with the battery now, as evenings stretch that will become the norm over the summer. I turn on the dishwasher etc during the day when I have enough between solar and battery. Immersion is handled by the Eddi. Don't really have any use for night rate atm, that will change when EV arrives no doubt :)

So 5k net. I like that he's broken out the labour price and honestly, looks like a fair price by the time he's paid a sparks and roofer and done all the paperwork etc.

Is the BER price included or do you have to organize that? Bear in mind unless you have a recent one already you'll need two BER's for the grant. Mind PMing me who it was that quoted it?

You just need one BER for grant, one done after installation

You just need one BER for grant, one done after installation

Sorry, for some reason I thought you had to have a before and after. I had a before from recently buying my house so maybe I confused it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sorry, for some reason I thought you had to have a before and after. I had a before from recently buying my house so maybe I confused it.

The only reason for the before BER is for your own peace of mind that you will meet the min C rating you need for the grant.

You don’t want to get through the whole process and then find youre not grant eligible after you’ve paid the installer.

If you are sure you are already C or better then one BER after the install is all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

KCross wrote: »
    The only reason for the before BER is for your own peace of mind that you will meet the min C rating you need for the grant.

You don’t want to get through the whole process and then find youre not grant eligible after you’ve paid the installer.

If you are sure you are already C or better then one BER after the install is all you need.

and if you want peace of mind a lot of BER assessors can do a Pre works BER, its all the grunt work of the BER but with nothing sent off.

When the work is done its a simple task of adding the solar and getting the cert.

Patmwgs wrote: »
    The other thing ro remember is the battery will be sitting most of the winter doing very little if any. I would use the fit payment, cheaper electronics and shorter payback.

I recharged the battery on night rate during the winter for use during the day.
    The bills have never been lower so i think it worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Thats a good idea, what leccy company are you with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Is this easy to setup so the battery gets charged every night from the grid and then when there is not enough or no generation the following night it uses the stored battery power?

reni10 wrote: »
    Is this easy to setup so the battery gets charged every night from the grid and then when there is not enough or no generation the following night it uses the stored battery power?

You just set a charging schedule on the inverter, to charge to xx% between hh:mm and hh:mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

It would appear from reading various threads here that the majority of people are of the view that the inclusion of a battery in the solar pv system of a typical domestic house in Ireland does not make economic sense (unless the house has an EV) given that the FIT is on the way soon.

However, from my conversations with a few solar companies it appears that electricity prices are set to double during the weekday evening peak period of 5pm to 7pm within the next few months. I haven't been able to find any info on this myself (can someone please post info in this?), but if this is the case, could this be a reason to justify the inclusion of a battery?

• Advertisement

PGL wrote: »
    However, from my conversations with a few solar companies it appears that electricity prices are set to double during the weekday evening peak period of 5pm to 7pm within the next few months.

a) Salesman BS
    b) Only possible with installation of Smart meter
    c) You can refuse a Smart meter

You have to have a Smart meter to gain FIT so it's wait and see time, we'll know more in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

PGL wrote: »
    It would appear from reading various threads here that the majority of people are of the view that the inclusion of a battery in the solar pv system of a typical domestic house in Ireland does not make economic sense (unless the house has an EV) given that the FIT is on the way soon.

However, from my conversations with a few solar companies it appears that electricity prices are set to double during the weekday evening peak period of 5pm to 7pm within the next few months. I haven't been able to find any info on this myself (can someone please post info in this?), but if this is the case, could this be a reason to justify the inclusion of a battery?

Well there's two ways batteries can save you money, one is capturing excess PV energy you would otherwise export (this depends on what the FIT ends up being) and the other is along the lines of the point you made about peak period rates.

Even today with day/night rate, every day in winter there's going to be basically zero PV output, I save >€1 by charging up my battery from cheap night rate the night before and using that energy during the day.

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Thats a good idea, what leccy company are you with?

Iberdrola

reni10 wrote: »

I have a soilis inverter and its very straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 41 welshchris77

a) Salesman BS
    b) Only possible with installation of Smart meter
    c) You can refuse a Smart meter

You have to have a Smart meter to gain FIT so it's wait and see time, we'll know more in July

I just assumed the Smart meters would be mandatory?, I am been stressed about this as both myself and my mother are immunosuppressed and vulnerable and do not want anyone in right now especially with the new variants going around, our meter is located in our kitchen (old cottage).

• Advertisement

I just assumed the Smart meters would be mandatory?, I am been stressed about this as both myself and my mother are immunosuppressed and vulnerable and do not want anyone in right now especially with the new variants going around, our meter is located in our kitchen (old cottage).

That’s part of the problem, ESB have been rocking up to houses saying we’re changing it and they have the right. Eventually some folk said no and then the Data Commissioner and TD’s getting involved and sticking up for us for a change.
    Just do a “smart meter data commissioner” Google rather than me take this tread off topic.
    Bottom line is it is not mandatory and ESB or anyone acting on their behalf have no right to force replacement of existing meter.
    Stay safe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I think it's time I joined the PV set.

I'm Wexford based and looking for recommended companies to get quotes from.

I don't want to take too much of a risk with chancers climbing on my roof, so an installer that can be trusted is a must. Good value is a big bonus.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cyloncity

Should an updated thread for this year be started? Or title be edited?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

I don't want to take too much of a risk with chancers climbing on my roof, so an installer that can be trusted is a must. Good value is a big bonus.

I'll PM you re my installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Sent you one as well

..and one more

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 41 welshchris77

Also looking for the same if anyone can help?, I am based In Wexford too, I have a few concerns around social distancing etc but would still like to get some kind of ballpark figures on cost of installation from companies😁

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

Also looking for the same if anyone can help?, I am based In Wexford too, I have a few concerns around social distancing etc but would still like to get some kind of ballpark figures on cost of installation from companies😁

Same PM sent Chris

PM sent

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement