Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Also looking for the same if anyone can help?, I am based In Wexford too, I have a few concerns around social distancing etc but would still like to get some kind of ballpark figures on cost of installation from companies😁

Two for the price of one? :D:D

Would there be a benefit of a "no-chat" thread where people post the their instals. Images/costs/time/snags etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We’re Irish (mostly), we ramble a lot

slave1 wrote: »
    We’re Irish (mostly), we ramble a lot

Exactly. Post the facts of confirmed installs there and have the rambles here.

So many good comments here but a lot of quotes and builds lost in the chat

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hi guys, based in Maynooth and looked a while back for some quote and due to a few things, I got delayed in getting set up.

If anyone had a few companies to get quotes from that would be great. And not to sound like a total noob what is the type of information to be looking for when requesting a quote.

I would like some advice on panel placement. I have a bungalow with low pitch roof and a large cabin in back garden. While the house is south facing the roof is E/W with the roof of the cabin being N but with a very low pitch so it gets a lot of Sun.

Ideally the Inverter would have to go in the cabin or the attic of the house (again are there are issues around this)

I'd be looking for around 12-16 Panels (12 house 4 on shed).

Future proofing as well we would hope to get an EV later this year or early next year so would like to get all cabling etc done for a Zappi or equivalent

Happy for any advice on thread or via PM.

(Thanks to all who previously sent PMs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

lordgoat wrote: »
    Hi guys, based in Maynooth and looked a while back for some quote and due to a few things, I got delayed in getting set up.

If anyone had a few companies to get quotes from that would be great. And not to sound like a total noob what is the type of information to be looking for when requesting a quote.

I would like some advice on panel placement. I have a bungalow with low pitch roof and a large cabin in back garden. While the house is south facing the roof is E/W with the roof of the cabin being N but with a very low pitch so it gets a lot of Sun.

Ideally the Inverter would have to go in the cabin or the attic of the house (again are there are issues around this)

I'd be looking for around 12-16 Panels (12 house 4 on shed).

Future proofing as well we would hope to get an EV later this year or early next year so would like to get all cabling etc done for a Zappi or equivalent

Happy for any advice on thread or via PM.

(Thanks to all who previously sent PMs)

A good installer will give you a good guide, PM sent.

OK so I spoke to the installer again, regarding a battery.
    The below quote with a 5kW inverter and a 3.5kW battery comes in at €6,500 after grant.

Seems ok?

Can someone cast an eye over this for me, as I'm honestly going quote blind
    Before grant but would be at a lower rate, yeah?

549763.jpg

The below quote with a 5kW inverter and a 3.5kW battery comes in at €6,500 after grant.

Seems ok?

Now your talking, is the BER included?

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Now your talking, is the BER included?

Yeah

• Advertisement

Yeah

go for it, can you pm who it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Yeah

Price looks good, just satisfy yourself the work will be of a good standard and let us all know how you get on! Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Seems ok?

Could you pm me the installers details too please?

Yeah

I would also appreciate a PM of the installer's information.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 candysapple

I think we're ready for PV.
    Our current electricity usage is standard enough for a house with 2 adults and 2 toddlers. No electric showers or anything. Though we've a Leaf that's charged with a Zappi at night, at most twice a week.

What we are we looking at for a S/SE facing is:
    12 panels 4kW
    5kW Solis inverter
    4.8 Pylon Tech battery
    HW Diverter
    WiFi dongle
    €6,800 after €3,000 grant.

The plan is to use whatever is generated for immediate use in the house -> battery -> hot water -> the grid. We'll charge the car at night from the battery or failing that the grid. And charge the battery at night from the grid in winter.

Does everything seem ok there?

Deciding on whether to get a battery or not has led to some intense discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Get the battery but only get 2.4. 4.8 is 2x2.4 Pylontechs. You should save about 700-800 on that. Diverter is only good if you already use immersion for heating water. Otherwise when FiT comes in you won't be saving any money with it. Also see if you can get 14 or 16 panels instead of 12.

Don't charge the car at night from battery. You have a Zappi. You should be able to charge the car from the sun if it is at home or just sue night rate for the car. Even 4.8kWh of batteries won't put much in the car. You are talking 20km of range. Not worth it. Charging a battery from a battery is grossly inefficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 agencydude

Hi Guys

Any comments on this quote I recently got:

Roof is south facing.

System Rating 2.2 KWp
    PV Panels: 6 x 370w Trina Solar
    Inverter: SMA SB 2.0
    Mounting: Roof Mount
    Diverter Unit : Myenergi Eddi
    Monitoring : Myenergi hub
    NO Battery
    Before Grant Cost: €4995
    After Grant cost : €3195

agencydude wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Roof is south facing.

System Rating 2.2 KWp
    NO Battery

It's about €2.5k of parts so installer charging ~€2.5k for what I'd guess is a 4-5 hour install. Unless you're seriously squeezed for cash / room - better to add more panels and a bigger inverter. The installation labour is the major cost not the parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Hi Guys

Roof is south facing.

System Rating 2.2 KWp
    NO Battery

Too expensive. You can get a 2.5kW array for 2,400 after grant from one widely advertised supplier

Alkers wrote: »
    Too expensive. You can get a 2.5kW array for 2,400 after grant from one widely advertised supplier

Is that with the diverter and hub?

Deagol wrote: »
    Is that with the diverter and hub?

No diverter but with that size array is be in the fence for one at best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Hi Guys

Roof is south facing.

System Rating 2.2 KWp
    NO Battery

While with a small system you are more likely to use a lot of the power generated, a 2.2kW system won't really make much difference to your bills, and you won't get massive excess amounts to heat the water. If you are not stuck for space, maximize it by going for more panels.

Seriously do your sums for the Solar as a service offerings, it might give you what you want at a cheaper price, or a cost spread out into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭carfinder

Seems ok?

Can you send me details of the installer too please?

First quote in.

Seems a bit strong to me, based on previous quotes here. But what would I know?

4.7 kW system.
    Qcells 335w split-cell all black mono PERC x14

Solis Mini String Inverter x1 (the one quoted looks like it's 3,600W)
    c/w Home Energy monitoring App

PureDrive II - 5kW Battery x1

Marlec Solar iboost diverter x1

€11,600 before grant, €8,600 after.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

First quote in.

4.7 kW system.

Any thoughts?

I think you can do better unless prices have gone up C 20% in the last 6 months.

5.6 E/W on a Slate Roof
    5Kw Solis Inverter
    Solar iBoost
    4.8 Kwh batteries

Around 18% less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Hi All,
    Thanks to everyone who advised me last Oct. After checking with various companies and doing my own research i went with a western company & a system with 4.7kw and a 5.7kw battery.
    Delighted with the system.
    I installed an Eddie myself as one of the suppliers with my work stock these and i got it at cost price.
    I have set it up with a week and delighted that it has stopped my export. I have one quick question about it which i can find online! Every evening the Eddie enables itself about 6pm and draws from the battery. The schedule is not set!
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Biker1

First quote in.

4.7 kW system.

Any thoughts?

Got a quote for pretty much the same set-up. €16000 before grant with a claim of 9.6 year payback. Ran the numbers myself and 30 years was the result. What a rip-off, needles to say I told them where to stick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Finally making the move to solar
    Getting a ber done next week to ensure I'll qualify when they are installed.

Looking at the company that can't be named who do it pay by the month.
    Has anyone whose gone with them bought extra panels off them at time of install. If so how much did you pay?

Finally making the move to solar
    Getting a ber done next week to ensure I'll qualify when they are installed.

Looking at the company that can't be named who do it pay by the month.
    Has anyone whose gone with them bought extra panels off them at time of install. If so how much did you pay?

someone does pay by the month?

deravarra wrote: »
    someone does pay by the month?

Yes. 2.5kw system with inverter. Provided you get the grant works out at 20 a month for 10 years

Yes. 2.5kw system with inverter. Provided you get the grant works out at 20 a month for 10 years

Sounds ok-ish, Can you PM me the details of the company?

• Advertisement

deravarra wrote: »
    Sounds ok-ish, Can you PM me the details of the company?

A lot of companies do pay monthly, its just a finance deal.

not many would do something like 20 per month over 10 years :)

Always good to look at a few options.

Saw a pretty good deal elsewhere on 'tinternet today. Website noted and will be making enquiries closer to d-day

It's not really as the total price is significantly less than offered by any other company, even paying up front.

My system is even cashflow positive as I'm saving more than €20 per month on electricity now the days are longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I ask about extra panels off the company which you can pay 20 a month for ten years, was told extra 6 euro per panel a month. To me seems expensive as works out at 720 per panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

What I suggested previously was to get the Solar as a Service deal and then pay it off, and add to it there and then.

It's not really as the total price is significantly less than offered by any other company, even paying up front.

My system is even cashflow positive as I'm saving more than €20 per month on electricity now the days are longer.

Thats what I was thinking would happen. Need to get them soon to benefit. Spoke to a friend about them last year and he's getting them in next week

raytaxi wrote: »
    I ask about extra panels off the company which you can pay 20 a month for ten years, was told extra 6 euro per panel a month. To me seems expensive as works out at 720 per panel.

I was thinking more of buying them outright

Was that 6e per panel per month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm a bit green(scuse the pin) to all this but am interested in getting solar.

I have a south facing roof, a Zappi charger which can connect to solar I believe and a Nissan Leaf. I have a combi boiler so don't use electricity to heat the water.

Current elec bills are roughly 100 quid a month, would it be worth my while to get solar?

Ush1 wrote: »

I have a south facing roof, a Zappi charger which can connect to solar I believe and a Nissan Leaf. I have a combi boiler so don't use electricity to heat the water.

Current elec bills are roughly 100 quid a month, would it be worth my while to get solar?

100 a month or 100 bi-monthly?

• Advertisement

Yes it was €6 per panel per month, my idea was to pay it off as well. For the basic 7 panel install appears to be very good value. Cheapest quote I got others were 500 to 1600 dearer.
    I was thinking more of buying them outright

Was that 6e per panel per month?

Yes it was €6 per panel per month, my idea was to pay it off as well. For the basic 7 panel install appears to be very good value. Cheapest quote I got others were 500 to 1600 dearer.

Thats expensive. Cheaper to do what irishchris did and do an additional self install.

Or could you ask to buy the extra panel outright, (probably be happy to pay a bit more than panel cost to cover install) and keep the standard deal for the rest of the system?

I dont think an extra 350w panel will save you 6e extra per month

I’m waiting on a price to buy them out right, have idea of what I think is reasonable if it’s close I’ll buy them. Otherwise I was thinking of getting them later on.
    Or could you ask to buy the extra panel outright, (probably be happy to pay a bit more than panel cost to cover install) and keep the standard deal for the rest of the system?

I dont think an extra 350w panel will save you 6e extra per month

I’m waiting on a price to buy them out right, have idea of what I think is reasonable if it’s close I’ll buy them. Otherwise I was thinking of getting them later on.

Let us know.

Deagol wrote: »
    100 a month or 100 bi-monthly?

100 per month so 200 bi-monthly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Are you at home during the day? If not then lots of PV will go to the Grid, as an example I put around 13kWh into the EV yesterday so on good days it well worth it.
    From Nov to Feb you will likely have no excess to put into the EV.

slave1 wrote: »
    Are you at home during the day? If not then lots of PV will go to the Grid, as an example I put around 13kWh into the EV yesterday so on good days it well worth it.
    From Nov to Feb you will likely have no excess to put into the EV.

Yeah well my missus drives the leaf and she would be there a lot during the day so it could be charging then. Would that be worth it in terms of the investment?

Price I got quoted was 6 a month per panel, total would be 720 or 600 if paid off straight away.
    This was off the company suppling as a service since we can't name them. Think 1800 for 3 extra panels was too expensive.

Price I got quoted was 6 a month per panel, total would be 720 or 600 if paid off straight away.
    This was off the company suppling as a service since we can't name them. Think 1800 for 3 extra panels was too expensive.

That's a crazy price. Panels are ~150eur each, mounting hardware ~30eur.

100 per month so 200 bi-monthly.

That sounds like you are using plenty power during the day then. I know my bill goes from ~200 bimonthly in winter to ~80 in summer mainly because of the panels.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement