Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm a bit green(scuse the pin) to all this but am interested in getting solar.

I have a south facing roof, a Zappi charger which can connect to solar I believe and a Nissan Leaf. I have a combi boiler so don't use electricity to heat the water.

Current elec bills are roughly 100 quid a month, would it be worth my while to get solar?

Its worth it because electric prices are only going one way. Solar is a long term investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Deagol wrote: »
    That sounds like you are using plenty power during the day then. I know my bill goes from ~200 bimonthly in winter to ~80 in summer mainly because of the panels.

Thanks. So what equipment would I need and any idea of ball park cost? I'm based in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

raytaxi wrote: »
    Price I got quoted was 6 a month per panel, total would be 720 or 600 if paid off straight away.
    This was off the company suppling as a service since we can't name them. Think 1800 for 3 extra panels was too expensive.

Did you ask them for a justification of the price?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Thanks. So what equipment would I need and any idea of ball park cost? I'm based in Dublin.

The only thing I can say is fit as many panels a possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Was talking to office and they seemed very much take it or leave it. Install happening very soon so I will just get it done after with direct labour.
    Did you ask them for a justification of the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

raytaxi wrote: »
    Was talking to office and they seemed very much take it or leave it. Install happening very soon so I will just get it done after with direct labour.

But at a cost of 20 per month, with a system that will give you a decent chance for 100% of self use, and a payback of maybe an average of half of that, it's an excellent starter. There don't seem to be many quotes on here for €2400 for a 6 / 7 panel system.

And so long as it's started in a top or bottom corner, you could buy it out and then expand the system, starting at an SEAI approved basis. You'd also be fully registered up with ESB with the NC6.

If I was starting again, I'd be jumping at this.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Now your talking, is the BER included?

OK I misread what was proposed, the BER isn't included.

OK I misread what was proposed, the BER isn't included.

It takes the hassle out if the BER is included, so from start to finish the installer takes care of everything from install to grant.
    Yes it costs more but they know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

Looking to get a solar pv system on a fairly large detached house and have gotten a number of quotes, but this seems to be the most competitive. Any thoughts on the following?

5.4kwp system
    14x 380w JA panels Monocrystalline
    14x Optimizers
    1x Solis hybrid 5kw inverter plus WIFI dongle
    2x Pylon 2.4kwh batteries
    €7200 after grant

Should I be looking for a 6 kW inverter with this instead or would it make much of a difference?
    Good value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

clusk007 wrote: »
    Looking to get a solar pv system on a fairly large detached house and have gotten a number of quotes, but this seems to be the most competitive. Any thoughts on the following?

5.4kwp system
    14x 380w JA panels Monocrystalline
    14x Optimizers
    1x Solis hybrid 5kw inverter plus WIFI dongle
    2x Pylon 2.4kwh batteries
    €7200 after grant

Should I be looking for a 6 kW inverter with this instead or would it make much of a difference?
    Good value?

Can you PM the installer please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Why are you getting 14 optimizers? Do you have shading issues? if so, you definitely don't need a larger inverter as your panels would rarely produce full power.

Look for the 6kWh inverter only if your panels all face south or you are looking to expand later. If you have an E/W split (or SE/SW or any other orientation) a 5kW inverter should be enough for 5.4kW of panels.
    Price is reasonable though others have done better recently. Having said that the 14 optimizers must add at least 400 to the quote. Ask how much the price reduces by if you drop one of the two batteries.

I have to actually fit an immersion filament into my tank (am actually replacing old tank)

Is a standard immersion element used? Don't want to make assumptions

I have to actually fit an immersion filament into my tank (am actually replacing old tank)

Is a standard immersion element used? Don't want to make assumptions

Yep standard in mine and all good

• Registered Users Posts: 46 candysapple

Finally managed to get someone to look at our house in person today. We'd really hoped for at least a 4kW system but it's not to be, the max number of panels we can fit will give us a 3kW system.

We're going to proceed with a 3kW system but now the decision on the other pieces are even harder. We want to maximise our personal usage (2 adults, 2 kids) of anything generated first and then whatever excess the system might generate direct elsewhere. I just can't see there being enough excess for FIT to influence our set-up.

I'm trying to keep in mind that in non-COVID times we're not home during the day.
    We could put in a HW diverter but we've a new gas boiler so it probably makes more sense to use that for heating water. We could put in a battery and capture excess there to draw down as needed during the evening.
    And, we've a Leaf that could be charged when home during the day (there's a Zappi already in place). That would only be at the weekend though and it's charged twice a week max.

We're thinking an Eddi and a battery so we can control where everything goes. And maybe when restrictions on planning permission change and we've the funds we could put panels on a separate string on our gable end wall to lift up the system.

We've gone to 5 suppliers so far and they have all suggested combinations of the above working but we're just not sure where to go from here.

Any, and all suggestions on set-up are welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I am not 100% but I dont think you are eligible for the Battery grant unless you put in a 4kW system

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I am not 100% but I dont think you are eligible for the Battery grant unless you put in a 4kW system

SEAI say, for 3kWp we'd receive €2100 for 3kWp solar panels plus €600 for the battery system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yeah if you go for 3kw or higher but without battery you only get 1800.
    So if you go for something like 4kw without battery and then decide you want the battery you only get 600 instead of 1200 that you would have gotten all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 onlinemathsgr

Freewheel wrote: »
    Have a quote for €4,300 for a 2.1kw (7 panels is most I can fit on roof) with a 2.2kw battery. Does that seem reasonable. Doesn’t include hot water diverted which I’ll probably get to maximise as as not at home during the day much.

Any chance you can PM me who that was with?

I wasn't going to post it but people should be informed and be able to make a decision.
    One of the more popular installers, quoted here, came to my place to do a survey.

I just mentioned that it'll be good when we get back to normal, when the vaccine rollout gets up and running.
    I then had to listen to anti-vax statements and how the vaccination process is some global conspiracy to silence "honest" doctors and scientists. Etcetera ad nauseum
    Every topic, from that point on, had a comment about how vaccines were bad.

No thanks buddy

• Advertisement

I wasn't going to post it but people should be informed and be able to make a decision.
    One of the more popular installers, quoted here, came to my place to do a survey.

I just mentioned that it'll be good when we get back to normal, when the vaccine rollout gets up and running.
    I then had to listen to anti-vax statements and how the vaccination process is some global conspiracy to silence "honest" doctors and scientists. Etcetera ad nauseum

No thanks buddy

It's ( not so) obviously company policy and part of their sales pitch.

Am getting a ber today to see if 2.5kw will bring me over the line for the grant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

A quick question but probably no the answer is already no :-). I had a 2.88 kwp system installed last year and received a 1800 grant. Since then I have installed a 3.6kwp ground mounted system and added a pylontech battery. I assume there is no way to apply for the €600 battery grant now that I added it later and installed myself?

irishchris wrote: »
    A quick question but probably no the answer is already no :-). I had a 2.88 kwp system installed last year and received a 1800 grant. Since then I have installed a 3.6kwp ground mounted system and added a pylontech battery. I assume there is no way to apply for the €600 battery grant now that I added it later and installed myself?

That battery was a self install Chris if I remember correctly.
    Any recent photos of your ground system?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

;fraid the work is done now and also as a self install, both count you out I'm afraid, below from the SEAI
    Choose and appoint a company and agree a formal contract with them to get the works done.
    It is critical that homeowners do not start works until they receive the grant offer. (Grant offers are valid for eight months.)

Grant would have been worth €1,200

slave1 wrote: »
    ;fraid the work is done now and also as a self install, both count you out I'm afraid, below from the SEAI
    Choose and appoint a company and agree a formal contract with them to get the works done.
    It is critical that homeowners do not start works until they receive the grant offer. (Grant offers are valid for eight months.)

Grant would have been worth €1,200

What's 1200 compared to the satisfaction he got doing it himself :D

What's 1200 compared to the satisfaction he got doing it himself :D

An extra 1200 and a few hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

An extra 1200 and a few hours

Saved about 3000 euro compared to the nearest quote for a ground mounted 3.6 system so although lose out on the grant the savings still far outweigh it.
    Also those quotes were for a non battery or hybrid install.

Saved about 3000 euro compared to the nearest quote for a ground mounted 3.6 system so although lose out on the grant the savings still far outweigh it.
    Also those quotes were for a non battery or hybrid install.

I maxed the grants out with my install so if putting in more looking forward to self install, just depends on how WFH etc pans out as there's no point in over consuming and FIT exporting

After lots of discussion with installers, I think we're near the end. This is the latest quote we have.
    We have a lovely S/SE facing roof but it has a number of features so the max number of panels we can fit is 9 for a 3kW system.

9 x 340w JA panels monocrystalline (3kW)
    3.6kW Solis inverter
    5kW PureDrive II Battery
    Eddi Diverter (we already have a Zappi charger for the car)
    €6,400 after €2,718 grant

Any thoughts?

After lots of discussion with installers, I think we're near the end. This is the latest quote we have.
    We have a lovely S/SE facing roof but it has a number of features so the max number of panels we can fit is 9 for a 3kW system.

3.6kW Solis inverter
    5kW PureDrive II Battery

Any thoughts?

Why is the grant not €3,000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

slave1 wrote: »
    Why is the grant not €3,000?

Not 4kws so 300 less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Can I ask how do you work out the max number of panels for an inverter?

Say for my current build I'm looking at 12 (340w) panels with a 3.6kW Solis inverter, if in future I wanted to add more panels how many can I add to this?

I'd rather max the inverter out now and add panels to it as I go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jod1983 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Thanks to everyone who advised me last Oct. After checking with various companies and doing my own research i went with a western company & a system with 4.7kw and a 5.7kw battery.
    Delighted with the system.
    I installed an Eddie myself as one of the suppliers with my work stock these and i got it at cost price.
    I have set it up with a week and delighted that it has stopped my export. I have one quick question about it which i can find online! Every evening the Eddie enables itself about 6pm and draws from the battery. The schedule is not set!
    Any ideas?

Do a reset. See if that fixes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

3.6kW Solis inverter
    5kW PureDrive II Battery

Any thoughts?

I'm just starting to look at a similar sort of setup, I'd be interested in what people think.

I've the Zappi and a Heat Pump, so if I can divert excess energy to top up the buffer tank on the heating I mightn't need the battery.
    Has anyone done this or know if it's possible on a heat pump system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

lordgoat wrote: »

Say for my current build I'm looking at 12 (340w) panels with a 3.6kW Solis inverter, if in future I wanted to add more panels how many can I add to this?

The inverter specs will give the max voltage per MPPT (string). You need to check the panels for their max open circuit (OC) voltage. Divide inverter max by this value to give number of panels.

Oh, and you're much better off to spend a bit extra on the biggest inverter you think you might use rather than cut a few quid. Example: the Solis 3.6kw is €1274, the 5kw is €1339.

lordgoat wrote: »

Go for a 5kw inverter and add as many panels as you can.

Not much price difference between the 3.6 kw and 5kw inverter. if your not getting a battery go to 6 kw inverter, again not much in the price.

Better to be looking at it than looking for it.

IMO with solar is go big.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 noelocon

Thoughts on this quote?

12 x AmeriSolar 320 Watt Solar PV Panels.
    Solis Inverter 3.6KW.
    Wifi Remote Monitoring.
    Power Diverter
    6900 Euro (including vat), grant not available

noelocon wrote: »
    Thoughts on this quote?

12 x AmeriSolar 320 Watt Solar PV Panels.
    Solis Inverter 3.6KW.
    Wifi Remote Monitoring.
    Power Diverter
    6900 Euro (including vat), grant not available

Get a higher wattage panels and a 5kw inverter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

3.6kW Solis inverter
    5kW PureDrive II Battery

Any thoughts?

Drop half the battery. You wouldn't need that size of battery for a relatively small system surely?

tommymac86 wrote: »
    I'm a spamming twat

If you have to spam multiple threads with your company info, probably a safe bet that your company isn't worth a damn.

Good companies get spread by word of mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I've the Zappi and a Heat Pump, so if I can divert excess energy to top up the buffer tank on the heating I mightn't need the battery.
    Has anyone done this or know if it's possible on a heat pump system?

Not much point. You need that buffer tank hot in winter when the Solar won’t provide much excess. You’ll have loads of excess in summer to heat the buffer tank but it’s useless to you in summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

3.6kW Solis inverter
    5kW PureDrive II Battery

Any thoughts?

For four thousand euro less you can get a 2.5kW array without battery or diverter. Will depend on your usage and motivation but you'll be a long time recouping that 4k with two extra panels, diverter and battery.

Alkers wrote: »
    For four thousand euro less you can get a 2.5kW array without battery or diverter. Will depend on your usage and motivation but you'll be a long time recouping that 4k with two extra panels, diverter and battery.

We looked at that and without the battery and diverter the lowest quote we could get was 2,500 less.

Our motivation is to have the majority of our energy use met by a sustainable source. In a post-COVID world we won't be home during the day. The plan is to use solar energy when we're home during the day, time devices when we're out and have the battery capture anything else to get the use of as much as were generating as possible.

We have the option of adding additional panels on a gable wall of the house but that won't be covered by the grant and is something we'll need to look at later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Camabu

Looking for an opinion on the following quote. Trying to see how this fits in terms of system v bang for buck.

8 x 490 Wp JA Solar Panels
    3.3Kva Huawei Invertor
    5 kWh Huawei Luna2000 battery

€7,689 inv vat after €3,000 SEAI Grant

+ €420 myenergi Eddi immersion divertor.

Camabu wrote: »
    Looking for an opinion on the following quote. Trying to see how this fits in terms of system v bang for buck.

3.3Kva Huawei Invertor

Way over priced for what your getting.

Thanks Maulbrook. What ballpark is more realistic for that spec ??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

3.3Kva Huawei Invertor

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Way over priced for what your getting.

Are you space restricted? there's quite the premium for the higher wattage panels. (and they are big panels, 2094x1134mm)

looking online, they are coming in at 3x the cost of say the 365w longi panels for example.

Thanks Maulbrook. What ballpark is more realistic for that spec ??

Im guessing 2k ish over priced.

PM Sent

They also quoted a "cheaper" option of the following without batter. Space is not bad an option as I have had other quotes for 10 panels in the same space.

8 x QCELLS 380 Wp
    2.3 KVA ENPHASE Microinverter
    No battery

€5,100 inc vat

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ummagumma_78

Finally getting my install next week. Thanks to all on here for recommendations. Based on information picked up on this thread I decided to prioritise panels over battery so going for
    5.1 kWp panels (2 kWp on south facing roof and remainder on west facing roof)
    2.4 kW battery
    5 kW hybrid inverter
    Eddi HW Diverter

Total cost of €6400 after grant. This forum is a great source for what a system should cost especially with so many companies out there now.

• Advertisement

Congrats, similar setup to mine. I've got 2.8 south and 3.4 west.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement