Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

slave1 wrote: »
    Nice, glad you got sorted and thanks for all your front line efforts over the last year+

Honestly wouldn't have gone ahead, without this thread.

It's fora, like this, where boards earns its keep

6 wrote: »
    Is that the myenergi app? Looks good

Solis splitscreening with my camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

553119.jpg

Pilontec battery?

Solis splitscreening with my camera

Is that similar to the Solis Cloud app? Will be setting mine up today or tomorrow.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Pilontec battery?

Yeah...

Why? I ask with trepidation

• Advertisement

Yeah...

Why? I ask with trepidation

I could see the charge rate, that's all. I have the BYD battery's and the max charge rate is just over 3kw.
    Just being a nerd

Before I start trawling, does anyone know (off top of head) who does best rural day/night rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Before I start trawling, does anyone know (off top of head) who does best rural day/night rate?

Glopower came up best for me a few months ago.Probably be different depending who you are with and what tariff. Hit bonkers or one of the other comparison sites.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

A company called Bright, looks like it has the lowest standing charges out there or off to bonkers.ie

Avoid Electric Ireland, they have low usage charges. no friend of solar users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

A company called Bright, looks like it has the lowest standing charges out there or off to bonkers.ie

Avoid Electric Ireland, they have low usage charges. no friend of solar users.

Genuine question, am I missing something?

Bright show their standing charge as €236.24 with a unit price of 16.146c.
    I'm with Bord Gais and it's €231.09 and unit price of 13.9c.

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    Genuine question, am I missing something?

Bright show their standing charge as €236.24 with a unit price of 16.146c.
    I'm with Bord Gais and it's €231.09 and unit price of 13.9c.

I haven't looked in awhile thanks for the heads up

I haven't looked in awhile thanks for the heads up

I'm still not clear now if the BG figure for charges includes the PSO levy.. I hate this trying to compare pricing crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

My last Glowpower bill was for 32 days PSO levy €6.85, Standing charge €15.04, Rate per kwh 0.1216 all ex vat if any use to anyone as a guide.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    My last Glowpower bill was for 32 days PSO levy €6.85, Standing charge €15.04, Rate per kwh 0.1216 all ex vat if any use to anyone as a guide.

That's another big scam that annoys me. Electric Ireland kept quoting me ex.VAT prices when I was moving. Just about everyone has to pay the VAT so why do they quote ex. Vat pricing other than to try and hope you don't notice it. PLus, I pointed out to them that there is a legal requirement to display prices including VAT but i got the 'I only work here' line.

Note, the prices I mentioned in my previous post were all inc.VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Is that similar to the Solis Cloud app? Will be setting mine up today or tomorrow.

You should use the Solarman App (logo is likes blue water droplet). Make sure you set the right type of system to see the graphic correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

deravarra wrote: »
    irish chris, clear out your inbox please :) Can't send a message until you do

Apologies as only saw this message now. Cleared out some messages now

553211.jpg

It's on the smaller part of the roof because it's easier to move the antennas than the chimney...

Late evening shot

553211.jpg

It's on the smaller part of the roof because it's easier to move the antennas than the chimney...

Late evening shot

Nice one.

Some room for a few more over on the right :)

Nice one.

Some room for a few more over on the right :)

Yeah but all would need optimisers

Yeah but all would need optimisers

Ah, fair enough

• Advertisement

Ah, fair enough

The house is T shaped so next best place, for evening supply, might well be the (north-ish) west facing roof

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

In all fairness, but unless you have a high base load, you'll have low self use on good days with that lot. Nice setup though, and very efficient use of the space :)

championc wrote: »
    In all fairness, but unless you have a high base load, you'll have low self use on good days with that lot. Nice setup though, and very efficient use of the space :)

Ah but I work from home, even post pandemic it'll be 3:2 home/office.

Washing, drying, dishes etc will happen then, plus battery and water diverting. And the mythical FIT

Would this be a Solis 5kw inverter over producing.
    Not bad at all. Need an EV next

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Is it not a 6.2 inverter based on the image?

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Is it not a 6.2 inverter based on the image?

6.2kw worth of panels with a 5kw Solis. My point is they can over produce some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

6.2kw worth of panels with a 5kw Solis. My point is they can over produce some times.

Ah right, the figure in the blue circle is the size of the inverter on my app, not the panel size.

But yeah, i have a 4.5 kw panel system but have seen 4.7 being generated. Always so happy when I see that kind of thing.

Yeah, I see same thing at times. Record is 6.94kw - on a 6.1kw panel / 5kw inverter!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NDB

Hi folks, looking for some advice please.

Electric usage on the last bill 10.3kwh per day. Working from home so someone is here 7 days a week.

Had this quote, is this a) suitable for our needs and b) a reasonable price for what's on offer?

Battery System (Alpha)

5.46kWp of modules kitted to 5.7kWh battery storage

14 x Bisol 390w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a tile roof

Santon Fire Safety Switch

Santon Switch Gear

Alpha 5 kWp Inverter kitted to 5.7kWh storage capacity

Costing

€9500 (inclusive of VAT)

+ €500 (Hot Water Diverter)

- €3000 (SEAI Grant)

€7000 Final cost after grant incentive

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

We should get a ruling council to decide on the best quotes currently, and sticky them to the first page :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

I've seen one company show sample quotes on their webpage, and they are pretty good.
    If anyone wants info, PM me

NDB wrote: »

Electric usage on the last bill 10.3kwh per day. Working from home so someone is here 7 days a week.

Had this quote, is this a) suitable for our needs and b) a reasonable price for what's on offer?

Battery System (Alpha)

Santon Switch Gear

Costing

€9500 (inclusive of VAT)

- €3000 (SEAI Grant)

Thanks

That looks fairly competitive to me. I would still ring and try and haggle them down a bit as there's still a fair bit of profit in there but it's definitely not a bad quote in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm looking at a, 2.52kw pv with the gw2500 ns inverter.
    Max DC output is 3250. Ac nominal output is 2500w

Im thinking of adding a couple of extra panels making it 3.24kw. Do I need a bigger inverter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

PGL wrote: »
    what are people's experience of this company that has not been named?

So far, not so great. Took 2 days to get them to call me back for a sales chat, 3 days for a tech to ring me to talk me through it (phoned 2 hours later than said), haven't heard a thing back in nearly a week, even though I have chased them twice :(

Really want to go ahead with it, but this doesn't give me confidence...

Battery System (Alpha)

Santon Switch Gear

Costing

€9500 (inclusive of VAT)

- €3000 (SEAI Grant)

Thanks

That dosent look to bad.

PM sent

• Advertisement

So far, not so great. Took 2 days to get them to call me back for a sales chat, 3 days for a tech to ring me to talk me through it (phoned 2 hours later than said), haven't heard a thing back in nearly a week, even though I have chased them twice :(

Really want to go ahead with it, but this doesn't give me confidence...

I've chatted to them twice in the last week. No issue with them calling back or emailing me when I leave a message.

Looking at getting an extra couple of panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I've chatted to them twice in the last week. No issue with them calling back or emailing me when I leave a message.

Looking at getting an extra couple of panels.

Had the install last Tuesday.Arrangements had been in place since before Xmas but illness and lockdown curtailed my plans.I contacted them on May 4th saying I was ready to proceed.They informed me they were working through a large backlog due to lockdown but they penciled me in for the 11th of May.
    They arrived at 8am as arranged, two electricians and three others for the roof work.Installation was complete by 11.15 and one sparks remained until 1pm to troubleshoot and explain system to me.
    All in all I was very happy with everything.:)

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Had the install last Tuesday.Arrangements had been in place since before Xmas but illness and lockdown curtailed my plans.I contacted them on May 4th saying I was ready to proceed.They informed me they were working through a large backlog due to lockdown but they penciled me in for the 11th of May.
    They arrived at 8am as arranged, two electricians and three others for the roof work.Installation was complete by 11.15 and one sparks remained until 1pm to troubleshoot and explain system to me.
    All in all I was very happy with everything.:)

Did you just go with the 7 panels?

I'm considering an extra one or 2. I got the price down but unsure if the 2500 inverter would be enough for a 3.24kw 9 panel system.

they do 2 systems per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

That looks fairly competitive to me. I would still ring and try and haggle them down a bit as there's still a fair bit of profit in there but it's definitely not a bad quote in my eyes.

It’s a very nice integrated modular system. inverter, battery all together in a very attractive casing with modern controls and smart integrations and anyone I’ve seen or heard of with similar setups are happy hence it’s a more expensive system than a Solis Pylontech setup. I assume you have haggled. Not associated with the company just did a lot of research at the time and it was a great option.

NDB Sorry not you Deagol

It’s a very nice integrated modular system. inverter, battery all together in a very attractive casing with modern controls and smart integrations and anyone I’ve seen or heard of with similar setups are happy hence it’s a more expensive system than a Solis Pylontech setup. I assume you have haggled. Not associated with the company just did a lot of research at the time and it was a great option.

Just to point out, integrated is great to look at maybe but ... if any part of it fails whats the cost of replacement vs seperates?

• Advertisement

Just to point out, integrated is great to look at maybe but ... if any part of it fails whats the cost of replacement vs seperates?

Sorry edited above didn’t mean to reply to your good self - I understand but it is modular so the inverter, battery split but slot together. Who knows in 10 years when one fails maybe the new one won’t slot together (-:

Happy Solis and Pylontech owner myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Did you just go with the 7 panels?

I'm considering an extra one or 2. I got the price down but unsure if the 2500 inverter would be enough for a 3.24kw 9 panel system.

they do 2 systems per day.

Just the seven, should cover a fair portion of my consumption.Had intended to get more panels but finances are curtailed due to lockdown and ill health.I have room to add more in the future if needed.
    I would follow the sound advice that is given here by others to put as many panels as you can on your roof.
    I don't know much about the inverter but my seven panels while rated at 2.55(7x365) have produced 2.77 on occasion over the past few days.

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Just the seven, should cover a fair portion of my consumption.Had intended to get more panels but finances are curtailed due to lockdown and ill health.I have room to add more in the future if needed.
    I would follow the sound advice that is given here by others to put as many panels as you can on your roof.
    I don't know much about the inverter but my seven panels while rated at 2.55(7x365) have produced 2.77 on occasion over the past few days.

It's a balance between extra panels and extra panels and bigger inverter costs.
    The former I cam do. Hopefully someone will be able to answer the question.

It's a balance between extra panels and extra panels and bigger inverter costs.
    The former I cam do. Hopefully someone will be able to answer the question.

To update myself.. Spoke to the boss and they match the inverter to the number of panels which are now 365w.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

living in a bungalow with heat pump installed. looking for help with regard to what I should get from a PV perspective. ANy help would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Gabico

Battery System (Alpha)

Santon Switch Gear

Costing

€9500 (inclusive of VAT)

- €3000 (SEAI Grant)

Thanks

Do you mind send me the installer details. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

living in a bungalow with heat pump installed. looking for help with regard to what I should get from a PV perspective. ANy help would be great, thanks.

The fact you have a heat pump doesnt really matter much.

What Solar PV you get is down to things like
    - Orientation of your roof(s)
    - Size of the roof
    - Electricity usage (home by day or not)
    - budget

So to update my quote

9 x365k panels
    3.5kw inverter
    5000e - 1800 grant = 3200e.
    From the company we can't name.

If you have roof space to the South or southeast or southwest then fit as many panels. if roof is west and east fit as many panels as you can afford.

5 to 6 kw inverter.

If you have a hot water tank then get a diverter.

Battery, some say no I say yes, minimum 5kw size.

My set up is with 6.2KW, 20 panels (all with optimizers) southeast bungalow, water diverter 5kw inverter and 7kw battery. €9000 after the then €3800 grant. 2 years since its been installed.

Go BIG as you can afford, get 3 quotes from the good posters here on Boards. Im sure you have been PMd by some.
    Avoid the big boys.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement