Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop putting the price of the postage stamp on the stamp itself.

Options
  • 18-02-2020 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭

Ok they have put the price of a postage stamp up. Fair enough.
    But its incredibly cynical to keep putting the actual price of the stamp on the stamp.
    Just put the grade of the stamp on the stamp like they do in Europe.
    I have about fifteen one Euro stamps in my wallet. Thousands of people and businesses are in the same boat when they increase the price.
    Soon I will have to use two one Euro stamps together to post a letter. This is probably not lost on the Postal service, and this is why they do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

To be fair, you could buy a bunch of 10c stamps to add to them. But definitely agree with your overall point.

Also, I've only heard about this price increase today. Why can't they give more notice? If I'd known before Christmas, I would have better planned my stamp purchases.

The rationale for this increase is supposedly the dip in demand for stamps. Surely a price increase won't help? I've cut down on sending cards etc, and another price increase only encourages me to cut again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How does that work, and what difference would it make?

These grades must have a value/price, even if it's not printed on the stamp, so a price increase would affect them regardless, surely?

EDIT: Apparently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The last few times I've bought books of stamps they've had no price on them. They have N for National and W for World (International) on them instead.

https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/Booklet-of-10-National-Stamps-(1)

https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/18DBK2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

But its incredibly cynical to keep putting the actual price of the stamp on the stamp.
    I have about fifteen one Euro stamps in my wallet. Thousands of people and businesses are in the same boat when they increase the price.
    Soon I will have to use two one Euro stamps together to post a letter. This is probably not lost on the Postal service, and this is why they do it.

Purchase the "n" stamps and use them in future, despite any increases an "n" stamp is used for national postage.

I should add that if you don't know that N and W stamps exist, and go and ask for 10 €1 stamps instead, that's what they'll give you, as you could be wanting to use them to post items that require more than the standard letter rate to post.

• Advertisement

Purchase the "n" stamps and use them in future, despite any increases an "n" stamp is used for national postage.

If somebody buys an N stamp now, and uses it in say 5 years time (when the price of an N stamp is say 25% more expensive than now), will it still be accepted?

osarusan wrote: »
    If somebody buys an N stamp now, and uses it in say 5 years time (when the price of an N stamp is say 25% more expensive than now), will it still be accepted?
    Of course, that's the whole point. There's no date on them, so how would you be able to tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

tjhook wrote: »
    To be fair, you could buy a bunch of 10c stamps to add to them. But definitely agree with your overall point.

Also, I've only heard about this price increase today. Why can't they give more notice? If I'd known before Christmas, I would have better planned my stamp purchases.

The rationale for this increase is supposedly the dip in demand for stamps. Surely a price increase won't help? I've cut down on sending cards etc, and another price increase only encourages me to cut again.

No you cannot buy the smaller denominations anymore. I tried that the last time they put up the price from 90C to €1.00. They said they don't manufacture the smaller values anymore.
    Imagine a business who bought a dozen rolls to these.
    Stamp.jpg

Alun wrote: »
    Of course, that's the whole point. There's no date on them, so how would you be able to tell?

Can't even remember the last time I bought a stamp, so I've never seen them.

I'd expect the images/artwork to change every now and then.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to spend my life savings on N stamps and hoard them for 20 years, then sell them on the black market.

Alun wrote: »
    I should add that if you don't know that N and W stamps exist, and go and ask for 10 €1 stamps instead, that's what they'll give you, as you could be wanting to use them to post items that require more than the standard letter rate to post.

No they won't, I bought 30 stamps at Christmas, and they all had the €1 price on them. I still have 15 of them left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

No they won't, I bought 30 stamps at Christmas, and they all had the €1 price on them. I still have 15 of them left.

The Christmas ones were marked €1 ( still have a few) and they were 20 for €19 so one free in a booklet.

I have had N marked ones also but they are still valid if the price changes.

The problem with An Post now is the almost annual frequency of changes. The rates for larger envelopes changed on 25/02/19 ( €1.80 to €2.00 and €2.30 to €2.50 ) and then I had to get 20c additional for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did you ask for 1 euro stamps or did you ask for N stamps?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

No you cannot buy the smaller denominations anymore. I tried that the last time they put up the price from 90C to €1.00. They said they don't manufacture the smaller values anymore.

But they don't have to manufacture them. The normal stamp rolls are in the printer at the counter and they just print whatever denomination you want on them. I've regularly got odd small amounts to make up when prices change.

Did you ask for 1 euro stamps or did you ask for N stamps?
    They had no N stamps available. I did ask. It was Christmas and all they had was the standard Christmas stamps.

Existing stamps will remain fully valid after 19 March and any additional postage may be purchased at any post office (e.g. a 10c stamp to make up the difference).

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0218/1115960-an-post-stamp-cost-rise/

It is a bit of a pain to actually have to go to the post office to get them, rather than getting a booklet, but I suppose a customer can buy 10 or 15 x€0.10 in one visit.

Stratvs wrote: »
    But they don't have to manufacture them. The normal stamp rolls are in the printer at the counter and they just print whatever denomination you want on them. I've regularly got odd small amounts to make up when prices change.
    What if you just want to post a letter in a letter box? There is no post office near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

These is called 'lifetime' stamps in some jurisdictions. In theory you could buy up 1000's of them for EUR1.00, store safely until next price rise and then sell for a nice profit! Basically play the futures game on postage stamps however no risk of the price ever dropping.

Maybe that's why An Post do not do it?!

BailMeOut wrote: »
    In theory you could buy up 1000's of them for EUR1.00, store safely until next price rise and then sell for a nice profit! Basically play the futures game on postage stamps however no risk of the price ever dropping.
    You looking to lose your kneecaps? Only room for one stamp king around here.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to spend my life savings on N stamps and hoard them for 20 years, then sell them on the black market.

These is called 'lifetime' stamps in some jurisdictions. In theory you could buy up 1000's of them for EUR1.00, store safely until next price rise and then sell for a nice profit! Basically play the futures game on postage stamps however no risk of the price ever dropping.

It is a cynical practice on An Post's part.

they do.

• Advertisement

What if you just want to post a letter in a letter box? There is no post office near me.

The next time you are near a post office, pop in and ask them to print off 15 x €0.10 stamps for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Are stamps legal currency?

they do.

The issue is why do they continue to sell the ones with the prices on them?
    And more often than not they have none of the N stamps in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

My issue with An Post is not so much with the ever increasing prices (though they are excessive) but with the fact that it's hard to find An Post outlets now where you can put goods into their postal service. I just don't understand the mindset of their managers, how do they expect people & businesses in rural areas to use their services when they've shrunk the network so far. What outlets they've preferred/ kept are usually now in largish towns, typically in a small supermarket. First you have to drive further to find them, then try and get parking, then walk through a shop with your packets and finally join an often long queue just for the privilege of paying them more. Yes they will collect but there's a substantial annual flat fee for this - I stand to be corrected but about €3000 I think and that's before you pay their increasing charges.

To be honest, I'm not convinced that they have much of an interest in providing postal services to small businesses in rural Ireland. And I won't be surprised if they contract the daily delivery service either in rural areas. I can see more central collection points and/or deliveries 2 or 3 times a week.

And of course, they'll still put up their charges year on year.

The next time you are near a post office, pop in and ask them to print off 15 x €0.10 stamps for you.

They told me they didn't sell them the last few times I asked. I had a bunch of 90C stamps a while back.

The issue is why do they continue to sell the ones with the prices on them?
    And more often than not they have none of the N stamps in stock.

because people also need stamps for things other than letters so they need 1 euro stamps for those people. The issue of availability of N stamps i cannot comment on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

And their customer 'service' is pretty appalling. You can complain or query why stuff is returned without delivery but if you get a reply, consider that unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

Give me the price of a stamp clearly stated on it or give me death.

dwmcdos wrote: »
    Give me the price of a stamp clearly stated on it or give me death.
    Rope, lead pipe, dagger or candlestick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BarryD2 wrote: »
    And their customer 'service' is pretty appalling. You can complain or query why stuff is returned without delivery but if you get a reply, consider that unusual.

A trait of most state and semi state entities. Usually manned by some disinterested yoke who is only in the job because of a relative.

Advertisement