Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mv alta ship Ballycotton washed up

Options
  • 18-02-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Can you see this from the ballycotton cliff walk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Its a bit further west
    appox here 51.811473, -8.057070

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What is going to happen to this ship?

Surely between the DAF&M and the Couty Council it will be removed and sold and then scrapped?

Would it be possible for someone to board it and claim ownership/salvage on the basis of some obscure Maritime Law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Due to it being pushed out onto the rocks it now has a nice hole in its hull, scrap at best

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What is going to happen to this ship?

Surely between the DAF&M and the Couty Council it will be removed and sold and then scrapped?

Would it be possible for someone to board it and claim ownership/salvage on the basis of some obscure Maritime Law?

And do what? It's up on rocks with a great ruddy hole in it now.
    It washed up here, it's up to the state to dispose of it and chase the owners for costs, if they can even be found.

Quicker it's gone the better as there's eejits climbing into it already. People have to be saved from their own stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How easy is access to the cliff face.. just want to have a walk and look.

Then head back to find a good seafood restaurant.

• Advertisement

I'm only 30 minutes from Ballycotton. I'd love to go down for a look and tbh, I would love to be able to board it off I could at all.

I'm only 30 minutes from Ballycotton. I'd love to go down for a look and tbh, I would love to be able to board it off I could at all.

Sure go for a look but don't board it. That's just crazy and unsafe and might require someone else risking their lives to rescue you.

Sure go for a look but don't board it. That's just crazy and unsafe and might require someone else risking their lives to rescue you.

I'd love to have a look on board as well.

But common sense dictates that I won't.

mikeecho wrote: »
    I'd love to have a look on board as well.

But common sense dictates that I won't.

I'll be going down this weekend.

There is no law against me boarding that ship so nobody has any right to prevent me from boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There is no law against me boarding that ship so nobody has any right to prevent me from boarding.

Hoping you're just trolling but, in case not... take an unselfish moment to think about the rescue crews that 1) may have to risk their own lives to rescue you, and 2) could be off dealing with an actual emergency instead of saving your dumb ass.

• Advertisement

There's no law stopping you from shooting yourself .. but that's not a good idea either.

Hope you are joking but this is a very bad idea. Please don't be so stupid to put your life and others at risk

Local farmers out today blocking access across their land.

Expect more barriers to be erected over the coming days.

IMG-20200221-130318.jpg

I have arrangements made to go down there tomorrow. I will be accompanied by s couple of physically capable friends.
    I will be reporting back on what I find below.

I have arrangements made to go down there tomorrow. I will be accompanied by s couple of physically capable friends.

Knock yourselves out.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Local farmers out today blocking access across their land.

Expect more barriers to be erected over the coming days.

I can't blame them really. Must be annoying, strangers traipsing all over your property.

Ports and harbours are full of rusty ships, I don't see the fascination with this unromantic rustbucket, it's not the fecking Mary Celeste. Have people nothing better to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,582 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Check tide times, at high water you won't be able to board it.

Check tide times, at high water you won't be able to board it.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I can't blame them really. Must be annoying, strangers traipsing all over your property.

Ports and harbours are full of rusty ships, I don't see the fascination with this unromantic rustbucket, it's not the fecking Mary Celeste. Have people nothing better to do?

Exactly. There are safer ways to see inside a rusty old boat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bring buoyancy aids.
    There's gale warnings in effect all day.
    If you fall into the water it's going to be like a spin cycle in a washing machine.
    Heard on the news that someone already boarded and posted video from the bridge pretending to drive the thing, widely condemned so I expect that the authorities are stepping up their efforts to block access.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you can't see why people aren't intrigued by a washed up wreck well... I suppose you've no imagination.

It's actually not difficult at all to see why people would want to see it.

Nothing better to do like what going to the local shopping centre and walking around like drones...

Seeing as I heard this on the radio it's hardly a newsflash, but that person thought the cargo could be intact.

listermint wrote: »
    If you can't see why people aren't intrigued by a washed up wreck well... I suppose you've no imagination.

Nothing better to do like what going to the local shopping centre and walking around like drones...

Guards will be forced to camp out there in the end, if grown adults can't resist using an unstable structure in an isolated area as a kiddies climbing frame. You know, Gardai who have better things to do than being adult babysitters.

listermint wrote: »

Idiots. The lot of them. With zero respect for the sea or nature and absolutely no respect for volunteers and paid members of the various rescue services that may end up risking their own lives to save them when one of them invariably makes the wrong move at the wrong time.
    It's the same as any other flipping boat FFS.

flazio wrote: »
    There's gale warnings in effect all day.
    If you fall into the water you will quite likely die.

Fyp

So our attempt to board the ship was not a success, mainly due to the climb it would involve and the presence of too many people. But we did see it and now have a better idea of the gear we will need to allow us to board the ship safely.
    We aim to return next weekend.

So our attempt to board the ship was not a success, mainly due to the climb it would involve and the presence of too many people. But we did see it and now have a better idea of the gear we will need to allow us to board the ship safely.
    We aim to return next weekend.

Why not do something more productive with your time?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Indeed.

Would be good if rescue services had the right to pop up an ‘on your own head be it’ sign and refuse to assist if entitled gobshytes get themselves into trouble though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

kippy wrote: »
    Why not do something more productive with your time?

Wouldn’t get a rise out of people.

Advertisement