Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Rovers built part of the first stand, so you're claim they built nothing is untrue.

You seem to be confusing Tallaght with Dalymount which Delaney had his grubby hands all over.

So if I go bankrupt building a house and only get the foundations down and a wall up I can claim I built a house???? Sorry....if you build something you finish it (in my eyes anyway) and you dont leave a trail of debt behind you in the process.

Printed online 24 Nov. 2006:
    "Let's hope in the near future that we get a decision that allows Shamrock Rovers have their home in Tallaght," Delaney says. "It's paramount to the club and the overall development of the league."
    He added: "Shamrock Rovers say they want to build a completed stadium in Tallaght, and everyone knows that's what they're endeavouring to do. Their plans are realisable, and hopefully everything goes well for them."

JD had his hands all over Tallaght, he was pushing hard for it in 2006 and after, just as he was all over Dalymount, however it aint even started so againt nothing has been built.

Add to that in 2017, the great JD was handing €180K that FAI didnt have to Rovers to invest in their training ground......Chairman being named during JDs last days as being a regualr visitor to the HQ to visit his friends....you can understand Rovers being so quiet...and at the same time claiming to be Irelands Number 1....if thats what the finest do....they can close the whole thing down. Self serving...springs to mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So if I go bankrupt building a house and only get the foundations down and a wall up I can claim I built a house???? Sorry....if you build something you finish it (in my eyes anyway) and you dont leave a trail of debt behind you in the process.

Printed online 24 Nov. 2006:
    "Let's hope in the near future that we get a decision that allows Shamrock Rovers have their home in Tallaght," Delaney says. "It's paramount to the club and the overall development of the league."
    He added: "Shamrock Rovers say they want to build a completed stadium in Tallaght, and everyone knows that's what they're endeavouring to do. Their plans are realisable, and hopefully everything goes well for them."

JD had his hands all over Tallaght, he was pushing hard for it in 2006 and after, just as he was all over Dalymount, however it aint even started so againt nothing has been built.

Add to that in 2017, the great JD was handing €180K that FAI didnt have to Rovers to invest in their training ground......Chairman being named during JDs last days as being a regualr visitor to the HQ to visit his friends....you can understand Rovers being so quiet...and at the same time claiming to be Irelands Number 1....if thats what the finest do....they can close the whole thing down. Self serving...springs to mind....

There is no comparison between Delaney putting out a comment in support of Tallaght being developed (and why wouldn't the CEO of the FAI?) and putting himself at the centre of the attempted redevelopment of Dalymount.

Rovers stayed quiet about Delaney as did most clubs. Nothing for anyone to be proud of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What has 1995 to do with a ground which was only built in approx. 2009???

A brief history.....

Rovers' plan to move to Tallaght started in 95/96 when merging with Tallaght Town and to use Kiltipper. In 1997, SDCC granted the lease of the land where the stadium is now for a ground for Shamrock Rovers. Nothing to do with Delaney yet.

Bertie Ahern turned the first sod on the site in 2000. Rovers built the shell of the West Stand between 2000 and 2001.

Rovers let the lease expire and planning permission was taken away in 2004. SDCC took part in the examinership of Rovers about the use of the stadium and Thomas Davis objected to the use of it as a football ground bringing about a judicial review as a delaying tactic which was thrown out of court by the judge without appeal in 2008.

Then the ground was finished by the SDCC with Rovers as anchor tenants.

Delaney had nothing to do with it. A quote from 2006 doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

dfx- wrote: »
    A brief history.....

Rovers' plan to move to Tallaght started in 95/96 when merging with Tallaght Town and to use Kiltipper. In 1997, SDCC granted the lease of the land where the stadium is now for a ground for Shamrock Rovers. Nothing to do with Delaney yet.

Bertie Ahern turned the first sod on the site in 2000. Rovers built the shell of the West Stand between 2000 and 2001.

Rovers let the lease expire and planning permission was taken away in 2004. SDCC took part in the examinership of Rovers about the use of the stadium and Thomas Davis objected to the use of it as a football ground bringing about a judicial review as a delaying tactic which was thrown out of court by the judge without appeal in 2008.

Then the ground was finished by the SDCC with Rovers as anchor tenants.

Delaney had nothing to do with it. A quote from 2006 doesn't cut it.

Lets put it another way.....what would Rovers have built without public money???

Again I will ask you, if I plan a house, lay the foundation and build the ground floor walls....did I build a house or did I fail trying??? If I went bankrupt doing it and left people out of pocket would I be proud of it???

If you believe anything happened within LOI football without JDs influence over the last 10-15 years, you would want to look again. The man rule with an Iron Fist.....he had clowns in politics who followed him and lobbied for him. He bought clubs silence or support to make himself look good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Lets put it another way.....what would Rovers have built without public money???

Again I will ask you, if I plan a house, lay the foundation and build the ground floor walls....did I build a house or did I fail trying??? If I went bankrupt doing it and left people out of pocket would I be proud of it???

If you believe anything happened within LOI football without JDs influence over the last 10-15 years, you would want to look again. The man rule with an Iron Fist.....he had clowns in politics who followed him and lobbied for him. He bought clubs silence or support to make himself look good!!

This is a stupid argument. Conversely, I could say if the above happened, have you built nothing, or have you built a wall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

joeysoap wrote: »
    His choice, but most ( Dundalk anyway) supporters think he could have done better or even signed for another year. Well might be relegated, wages are probably decent though.

Dundalk beat Harps 7 - 0 at Finn Park just a few years ago. Scorers were Benson ( 2) Horgan, McMillan, Boyle, Barrett and an o.g.

Only Boyle remains ( and he was away) and he was was wasn’t on last Friday. Some change.

Obviously that a biased view. Hes on a better wage and playing in a better league. Its a no brainer for a player with any ambition

wadacrack wrote: »
    Obviously that a biased view. Hes on a better wage and playing in a better league. Its a no brainer for a player with any ambition

being relegated with St Mirren is ambition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

being relegated with St Mirren is ambition?

More so putting your self in the shop window when playing against the bigger clubs is the ambition. Play well with them and tear it up against Teams like Motherwell and Aberdeen and hope they come in for you. You’d be in Celtics sights at that point too should you continue playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

some LOI clubs could go under if the virus gets as bad as expected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

More so putting your self in the shop window when playing against the bigger clubs is the ambition. Play well with them and tear it up against Teams like Motherwell and Aberdeen and hope they come in for you. You’d be in Celtics sights at that point too should you continue playing well.

He will more than likely be in Socttish Champ next season, a level below Dundalk, Rovers IMO

I wish the lad all the best, but a player like him is not suited to a relegation side who play route 1 in most games

• Advertisement

That's where it all goes well. How many players have made that sort of progression?

Playing in a better league against bigger clubs is dressing it up playing for a relegation threatened team. The scrap for points, the lack of patience with creative players, the threat of the chop for the manager who brought you in.

It's a good move maybe for a defensive midfielder or centre back who impresses..

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

He will more than likely be in Socttish Champ next season
    Why is that 'more than likely'? They're second from bottom with a game in hand on the teams above them. At worst it's 50/50. They have 4 games to go until the split and 3 of the 4 games are against teams around them. Even if they finish second bottom and have to play the Championship runners-up they'll likely be playing an Inverness or Ayr side that have already lost 10 games this season at that level. So I'm not sure where 'more than likely' comes from.
    a player like him is not suited to a relegation side who play route 1 in most games
    Yet St Mirren scouted him, signed him and are starting him regularly. It's almost as if the professionals who see their team every week, and know how they want their side to play, have a different, but infinitely more informed, opinion to you.
    I wish the lad all the best
    It really doesn't sound like that. You sound like a jilted lover.

Have a look at this -

Jamie's a great lad - fair play to him for choosing to test himself by playing at a higher level and for having enough faith in himself to grasp the opportunity to put himself in the shop-window for bigger clubs.

That's what wishing the lad all the best looks like. Not the mean-spirited, mealy-mouthed bitterness you've spewed above.

Its a good league and St Mirren in my opinion likely to stay up. Hearts are bottom atm and Glenn Whelan was released in December. Daryl Horgan in and out at Hobernian. Michael Duffy played mostly in the Scottish Championship. McMillan struggled in the Scottish Premiership also. Its certainly a good league to play in. Wasn't too long ago James Maddison was playing for Aberdeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Its a good league and St Mirren in my opinion likely to stay up. Hearts are bottom atm and Glenn Whelan was released in December. Daryl Horgan in and out at Hobernian. Michael Duffy played mostly in the Scottish Championship. McMillan struggled in the Scottish Premiership also. Its certainly a good league to play in. Wasn't too long ago James Maddison was playing for Aberdeen
    Of course its a good league. Its a fulltime league and ours isn't.
    The likes of St Mirren Park would be a top LOI ground and their attendances would be out on their own in the LOI.
    As you say plenty of our star players have went over there recently and you couldn't say any of them have pulled up trees in it..
    The SPL and its set up should be the goal for the LOI.
    A full time top tier, a decent pyramid structure, a good TV deal with decent small to medium stadia. Obviously Rangers and Celtic are giant clubs and help all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

what's the chance of games being postponed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

redmgar wrote: »
    what's the chance of games being postponed?

Reasonably high IMO.

If the schools close (as is likely given the volume of hints to that effect) all bets are off on much else in terms of 'gatherings' being allow go ahead I suspect.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

could seriously hurt some clubs.

could seriously hurt some clubs.

Agree. Really hope it doesnt come to that though.

Think the schools will be key, 'IF' they close I genuinely think we'll see a couple of weeks of near enough shutdown.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Its bound to happen. I would say some players could become infected also. Which would mean 4 weeks at least without a game

Im assuming players wouldn't be paid for these weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Dundalk have completed the signing of Nathan Oduwa.

Colovic looked decent in the short run-out he got on Friday and this guy looks like he might similarly exciting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TNfCmVtPJM

Primarily a left-winger but I doubt he's really been brought in as competition for Duffy - I suspect he's been brought in to offer something different to the Hoban/Kelly style of forward in Europe.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/lilywhites-complete-the-signing-of-nathan-oduwa/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

100% I’d have preferred McGrath to stay, the league is poorer without creative players like him, however that boats sailed and we move on. English and Scottish clubs only want freebies anyway.

Im assuming players wouldn't be paid for these weeks?

Of course they'd be paid. Part timers have they're contracts dated to coinside with the season.

Can't see any of the league's players being in a position to forfeit a month or twos wages.
    If the league shut down for a month or two you'd be looking at chopping a round off the league season, finishing up with 27 odd games and calling it a loss.

Far from ideal and plenty of clubs would only just stagger into next season with the loss of revenue. The alternative is play into Xmas which would just bring more costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Was listening to off the ball last night, apparently the scottish league has the highest attendance numbers per capita in Europe.

Just shows you the scottish public are way more passionate about their football than us. Like it or not their league is light years ahead of ours, wer a week or two away from games being cancelled and premier league clubs in danger of going to the wall.

Any young player from here would be mad not to give scottish premier a go if they got a chance, theyll have absolutely no problem getting a club back here if it doesnt work out.

Main thing we should worry about is trying to get decent fees, kinda imposible when you can't afford to have players on proper contracts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Linfield player has tested positive for the Coronavirus. That will surely stop the league up there and could possibly have a knock on effect on the league here.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0310/1121472-linfield-player-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

De oul blue nose is a bit of a give away alright......

tastyt wrote: »
    Was listening to off the ball last night, apparently the scottish league has the highest attendance numbers per capita in Europe.

Just shows you the scottish public are way more passionate about their football than us.

They definitely have more staying power when it comes to supporting their clubs. The likes of Falkirk down in the 3rd tier averaging 4 or 5000 shows how loyal their fan base is.
    We seem to breed a culture of event junkies,
    that'll come out in numbers for a cup final or a big league match every few years but couldn't be arsed supporting a club fulltime.

they’re not competing with gaa hurling and football and they have fine stadia, so you can see why they have better drawing power. We can hardly run 2 divisions they have 6 if you count highland and lowland leagues. Still think Jamie could have done better.

How are Dundalk signing players in March? I thought the window was closed.

kksaints wrote: »
    Linfield player has tested positive for the Coronavirus. That will surely stop the league up there and could possibly have a knock on effect on the league here.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0310/1121472-linfield-player-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

I thought all 16 cases in the north were related to Northern Italy.

There are currently no cases of community transmission in Northern Ireland, with all 16 patients who have been diagnosed with Covid-19 linked with travel to northern Italy

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    they’re not competing with gaa hurling and football and they have fine stadia, so you can see why they have better drawing power. We can hardly run 2 divisions they have 6 if you count highland and lowland leagues. Still think Jamie could have done better.

How are Dundalk signing players in March? I thought the window was closed.

They still have a lot of competition with the EPL and rugby is very well supported even though they aren't particularly good at it.

If Celtic and Rangers were operating in Dublin people here would either follow them or not see the point in following their local team.
    I can imagine you'd get plenty of abuse for being a local walking around in a Celtic/Rangers/EPL jersey in Aberdeen or Edinburgh.
    It's commendable that the smaller clubs there have strong followings even though they have feck all chance of any significant silverware.
    There just isn't the barstool culture we have here.
    It's funny that Oduwa probably had to move to Dundalk to make way for Junior at that Israeli club.
    I think the free agent/loan window closes around a month after the main window.
    Oduwa seems to have been trialing with a few different sides the last couple of weeks.
    He's had a bit of a Cillian Sheridan type career since being let go at Spurs.

Dundalk have clearly signed for Europe. It'll be very interesting to see if it works and what happens if it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've read that the Government are due to release a statement about mass gatherings of people this coming Friday. Hopefully it's given early and doesn't lead to people wasting a day travelling for nothing to away fixtures.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've read that the Government are due to release a statement about mass gatherings of people this coming Friday. Hopefully it's given early and doesn't lead to people wasting a day travelling for nothing to away fixtures.

Is that in the news?

Would any footballer affected by any shut down be entitled to the €305 a week?

Pascal did on the radio yesterday (to a query) that widows etc at work would get it regardless whether they were on a widows pension etc if they were advised to stay at home.

How many clubs could survive a month or two suspension of the league?

How many clubs could survive a month or two suspension of the league?

Worst case scenario? A handful I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Yea our SLO was heavily quoted by 42 about the risks for us... No one to pay the wages without gates is the reality for most. (He thought every club was being interviewed ha)

Be interesting to see what comes in, some countries have prohibited mass gatherings over 5000, was it France or Italy brought them in at 1000?
    Even with the latter the first division could run with little to no impact, with the former you could count on one hand how many premier games would be affected. General avoidance is going to bring down numbers anyway.

Gaa confirmed 'after consultation' with the hse that the weekend games would go ahead... Be bigger crowds at D1 there unless things have changed.

Dundalk planning for Friday’s match as normal anyway

https://www.dundalkfc.com/first-ones-on-us-in-the-lilywhite-lounge-on-friday-night/

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

tastyt wrote: »
    Like it or not their league is light years ahead of ours, wer a week or two away from games being cancelled and premier league clubs in danger of going to the wall.

Scottish football is shedding its debt, but what does it all mean? (BBC Sport, 16/11/2014)
    Debt has become a rarity in Scottish football.

That scenario once seemed beyond the reach of clubs that were being weighed down by the heedless spending of the past and drastic changes in the financial landscape of the game.

What has brought about this shift, though? How have clubs managed to shed their bank debt?

Essentially, because Lloyds Bank had already written off the debts and there was no prospect of clubs ever being able to pay it back in full.

Has Scottish football benefited?

It is too early to tell, but the best case scenario is that clubs are no longer on the brink of financial collapse.

All 42 SPFL clubs get clean bill of financial health for first time (29/05/2019)
    "The lower TV revenues in Scotland, although unwelcome, do result in more predictable incomes and reduce the temptation to gamble heavily on personnel investments that threaten to cripple English clubs that miss the cut."

"A few years ago, it was rare for months to go by without headlines of failing football clubs and administrations, but despite some tough times high-profile failures are far more common now among high-street retailers."
    KH-COMPOSITE-GRAPH-SCOTTISH-PREM-PROFITLOSS.jpg?w=620
    They definitely have more staying power when it comes to supporting their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

They still have a lot of competition with the EPL and rugby is very well supported even though they aren't particularly good at it.

If Celtic and Rangers were operating in Dublin people here would either follow them or not see the point in following their local team.
    I can imagine you'd get plenty of abuse for being a local walking around in a Celtic/Rangers/EPL jersey in Aberdeen or Edinburgh.
    It's commendable that the smaller clubs there have strong followings even though they have feck all chance of any significant silverware.
    There just isn't the barstool culture we have here.
    It's funny that Oduwa probably had to move to Dundalk to make way for Junior at that Israeli club.
    I think the free agent/loan window closes around a month after the main window.
    Oduwa seems to have been trialing with a few different sides the last couple of weeks.
    He's had a bit of a Cillian Sheridan type career since being let go at Spurs.

Dundalk have clearly signed for Europe. It'll be very interesting to see if it works and what happens if it doesn't.

If Rugby is so well supported in Scotland how can they only support half the number of professional teams Ireland can? Even then, the average attendance at the 4 Irish clubs is 13'800. Edinburgh and Glasgow's combined average home attendances is 14'500, only a few hundred more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i think I heard before that cricket is more popular in scotland than rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's only mass gatherings that will be behind closed doors so UCD and Shels will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's only mass gatherings that will be behind closed doors so UCD and Shels will be fine.

Sides splitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I only started following League of Ireland around 00/01 season which was also the mad cow disease season. Was only 13 so I vaguely remember the impact how long was football suspended? How did clubs cope then can anyone remember?

Mad cow was around 1995, Foot and Mouth was 2001 and robbed us of the glorious Leinster Senior cup for nearly 10 whole years. They never played the final and then just kinda forgot about it.....

I think foot and mouth closure was designed to save the impact on the agricultural industry if there were widespread cases like there was in the UK - with mat doused in disinfectant as you walked in anywhere.

This is more open ended when by the nature of attending a game, you could pass the disease on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mass gatherings over 500... can see games being cancelled off after tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It's in place from 6 pm today so I'm guessing this weekends games are off or behind closed doors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

It's in place from 6 pm today so I'm guessing this weekends games are off or behind closed doors?

FAI Statement expected by lunch time

Would most / all games potentially get 500?
    All games will be off for deffo.

OTT Wrestling in Dublin's National Stadium have announced just now they're cancelling Saturday night's show. Due to be 2000 people at their show including wrestlers from the USA. Writing may be on the wall.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement