Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Dundalk fans always wheel out these stock excuses along with "emergency access issues" and the likes.
    All the while the main stand has 1,100 covered seats? That's very small for a main stand and leaves room for the same again to be developed either side of it.
    Start there really and worry about the rest afterwards. But again none of this is on the agenda because player expenditure has been prioritised in search of European success at a time when the window into the elite rounds of the top tiers has narrowed considerably.

There is no excuse.

An 800 seater temporary stand was put up for the league cup final in 2014 and there was no issues with access behind it. Putting 25% of the winnings in 2016 and 2020 towards doing up the ground would have constructed small stands at either end of the ground. Gerry Matthews is the only owner since the 60s that has made any changes to the ground. Re-roofed the stand, knocked the old shed and rebuilt it. Put seats in away section, 5 minute terrace and shed along with fundraising from the late Colm Crossan.

I would like to see the FAI reduce the threshold for the ratio of wages to expenditure to a lot less than 70% even if it was only for a few seasons to allow clubs to get their houses in order. It might reduce the quality of the league but it would give a good foundation and ensure future stability. Having to spend 30% on non player wages forced the development of the Gym, media room, kitchen etc. in Oriel and I feel that this is a driver in relaunching the Academy. Imagine what they would have to do if they had to spend 50% of expenditure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

doncarlos wrote: »
    I'm from Dundalk though and have also witnessed that LCC simply don't give two ****s about Dundalk. They never have and they never will. It fact it feels there is an apathy towards DFC. As Irishmale says they are always working against Dundalk not with them. When Dundalk were playing in the Europa league in 2016 and 2020 you'd barely know and the same for any of our cup finals. It also doesn't help that the council is broke and Drogheda are based in the same county. There is always that North Louth/South Louth divide as well as an affinity towards the GAA even though the county team are one of the worst in the country.

Who is fostering the relationship between club and council - are they all the Irishmale0399 approach of 'why should we' and 'what are they giving us' approach.

What sort of communication and collaboration is between the club and council...what does the council get from Dundalk being there...what community projects are they involved in. Has Hullsizer ever met them? Buying the Aviva and trying to play showpiece games in Dublin or Belfast - anywhere but Dundalk - doesn't strike as the most helpful.

Rovers 'committed' to Tallaght in 1996 long before the SDCC got involved or Bertie turned a sod.

What community purpose does Oriel have beyond football...this doesn't cost as much as not letting it drift towards Connaught St decline in 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Peak6 only completed takeover in 2018. Before that Connolly and Browne owned the club. One of the first things LCC did when they completed the takeover of the lease was present a rates bill to the new owners.

On one occasion when Dundalk won the FAI cup (2015) there was a presentation to the team in Dundalk. Glamorous, back of a trailer job. The council were critised for not having a ‘proper’ reception. Their reaction - ‘we supplied the electricity’
    They did have a public reception in 2018 though. Non this year. The chairperson of LCC is from Drogheda - enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

joeysoap wrote: »
    Peak6 only completed takeover in 2018. Before that Connolly and Browne owned the club. One of the first things LCC did when they completed the takeover of the lease was present a rates bill to the new owners.

On one occasion when Dundalk won the FAI cup (2015) there was a presentation to the team in Dundalk. Glamorous, back of a trailer job. The council were critised for not having a ‘proper’ reception. Their reaction - ‘we supplied the electricity’
    They did have a public reception in 2018 though. Non this year. The chairperson of LCC is from Drogheda - enough said.

But as DFX said:

"Who is fostering the relationship between club and council - are they all the Irishmale0399 approach of 'why should we' and 'what are they giving us' approach.

What sort of communication and collaboration is between the club and council...what does the council get from Dundalk being there...what community projects are they involved in. Has Hullsizer ever met them? Buying the Aviva and trying to play showpiece games in Dublin or Belfast - anywhere but Dundalk - doesn't strike as the most helpful.

Rovers 'committed' to Tallaght in 1996 long before the SDCC got involved or Bertie turned a sod.

What community purpose does Oriel have beyond football...this doesn't cost as much as not letting it drift towards Connaught St decline in 15 years."

I don't think saying "The guy at the head of the council is from Drogheda so it's pointless!" is the approach to take.

If you want council grants, the club has to promote Oriel as a community investment, and not just a private use facility for a professional football club that everyone knows has taken in millions in prize money in the last few years.

From day one, Rovers said Tallaght Stadium would be open for other use. During much of the development, one of the biggest champions of the stadium on the council was Dermot Looney, a huge Pats fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

3 games with watchLOI on at Saturday at 6pm. Bad move imo.Creates less value for people who would watch multiple games. No games on a Sunday

https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1367837732257546246

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Would be good to have them spread but still a lot of apart time players in the league so might have been putting pressure on clubs.
    14 rounds to the mid season break, watch LOI and rte are covering all I think. I can retract my rant from a few days ago. Nice to see fixtures all laid out before things start for a change. Maybe things looking up competency wise in the FAI under the new regime. Still hard not to expect a shambles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Can't be the only one that finds it weird there are 3 6pm games on the 27th when the international team have a home World Cup qualifier at 7.45pm the same evening. They could surely have even been brought forward to 5.30 to avoid missing the start of one or end of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I was at an FAI do a few years back and was chatting informally to a Rovers director before the event. Delaney sidled up to us and told the fella from Rovers, that he was just off the phone from SDCC and that the North Stand development would be gong ahead. Very much thanks to JD you'd think from this. Once he had ****ed off, the director rolled his eyes and said something to the effect that this had been in SDCCs plans since the beginning, and it had the square root of **** all to do with JD or the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

It shouldn’t be forgotten either the Casey Fanily own and live in the house directly outside Oriel.

Or that the Carrick Road is prime real estate, houses won’t come cheap

Directly facing Oriel

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-innisfree-house-carrick-road-dundalk-co-louth/2505187

Oriel in the background

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-thorncroft-mount-hamilton-carrick-road-dundalk-co-louth/2596021

If the land that Oriel is on is so valuable would it not make sense to sell the land for development and build a new stadium on a new site with the funds? I am genuinely asking that not saying that in a why are they not doing that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

New Dundalk fc home kit. Saw a grainy photo of it yesterday but looks decent compared to last years effort

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/1367898000803168257

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Pity about the sponsor

I don't think saying "The guy at the head of the council is from Drogheda so it's pointless!" is the approach to take.
    My apologies :)she now calls herself ‘chief executive ‘ ( old money = county manager) fwiw the current chairperson is also female but afaik is not ‘anti’ Dundalk

eire4 wrote: »
    If the land that Oriel is on is so valuable would it not make sense to sell the land for development and build a new stadium on a new site with the funds? I am genuinely asking that not saying that in a why are they not doing that way.

Casey Family have stated ( in the lease) in stone it can’t be used for anything else. Those prices were only indicative of prices in the area,

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

My apologies :)she now call herself ‘chief executive ‘ ( old money = county manager) fwiw the current chairperson is also a female.

Casey Family have stated ( in the lease) in stone it can’t be used for anything else. Those prices were only indicative of prices in the area,

Regarding relations with the club and LCC - and being at loggerheads. The council are elected officials right? I don't know the in and outs of how Dundalk operate in the local community but if the club are a force for good in the community, then it seems to me that if someone who would support Dundalk FC simply got themselves on the council they could point to the good work that Dundalk do in the community (which I'm sure they do like most LOI clubs nowadays), then this LCC relations problem goes away.

Afaik chairpersons are elected

Chief executive ( co managers) are appointed ( by whom I don’t know)

Dundalk UCD and drogheda corporation now operate as Louth local authorities

I don’t particularly like the home kit. Better than last year though

Who is Robbie Keane with now? Rovers? Still on €5,000 a week from thr FAI.

That was def a pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Who is Robbie Keane with now? Rovers? Still on €5,000 a week from thr FAI.

FAI paying his wages, he is volunteering with Rovers during lockdown and bubbles, sure Rovers might volunteer to pay his wages for the good of Irish football..sure you would think with the money made in Europe, a new ground and a billionare investor it wouldnt be a problem for them...:D:D

So he’s effectively with Rovers. Not capable of anything else really. Not stupid enough to relinquish FAI salary though. Don’t blame him if the FAI were dump enough to give a 4 year salary he be dumber to relinquish it

Early days yet but The Dundalk keeper looks poor.

So he’s effectively with Rovers. Not capable of anything else really. Not stupid enough to relinquish FAI salary though. Don’t blame him if the FAI were dump enough to give a 4 year salary he be dumber to relinquish it

Question is what did he have on JD to get the deal?? Questions have to be asked about the lenght of the contract.

• Advertisement

Early days yet but The Dundalk keeper looks poor.

He doesnt look like a professional player, doesnt seem to be able to make his mind up when coming for a ball. Have seen more assuring performances in the summer league.

Question is what did he have on JD to get the deal?? Questions have to be asked about the lenght of the contract.

Would he need anything on him? JD probably thought he was great having our best striker on board. Probably never occurred to him what his manager may actually want

overshoot wrote: »
    Would he need anything on him? JD probably thought he was great having our best striker on board. Probably never occurred to him what his manager may actually want

JD did nothing without plotting his own benifit from it. Either he was in there as JDs mole or he had soemthign on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I knew that keeper was going to be a flop. id say cherry will be our number 1.

Wouldn't surprise me. Worse than Dracula with crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Jurkovskis looks decent at right back

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Jurkovskis looks decent at right back

Looks better than anything we have had recently in the same position. :D:D;)

That was a, good match for a pre season one.

Despite all the imports the most impressive newcomer is a local lad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Afaik chairpersons are elected

Chief executive ( co managers) are appointed ( by whom I don’t know)

Dundalk UCD and drogheda corporation now operate as Louth local authorities

I don’t particularly like the home kit. Better than last year though

I certainly don’t like a betting company as sponsors.
    The jersey is very nice but the sponsors I don’t like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Some optimism for Cork City fans at last. 3-0 up on Waterford and a reasonably good pre-season overall.

Wouldn't surprise me. Worse than Dracula with crosses.

he left a huge gap for the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

City beat Waterford 3-0 today

Anyone know if Athlones stream of their friendlies is the pixelot camera? Was pretty good stick a commontator on it would be watch LOI level. Harps won 3-1 btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Very impressed with Cork City today vs Waterford. Completely dominated the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Very impressed with Cork City today vs Waterford. Completely dominated the game.

Waterford started well but City took over after 10 minutes

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    he left a huge gap for the second goal.

IMO there are 9 better FD keepers

10 if you count Cherrie

What’s the story with Dundalk signings? Tanner Doogan who only re-signed last week on a season long loan to Athlone.same with Terique Mohammed.(Canadian)they had to apply for work permits. ( I understand Patching and Quinn loans)

IMO there are 9 better FD keepers

10 if you count Cherrie

What’s the story with Dundalk signings? Tanner Doogan who only re-signed last week on a season long loan to Athlone.same with Terique Mohammed.(Canadian)they had to apply for work permits. ( I understand Patching and Quinn loans)

lol probably.

I think Cherry will do ok for us though, he is a decent keeper.

Yeah Doogan should just stay at Athlone. lot of new faces in this year, hard to know how the team will gel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork City announce signing of Finnish U21 international centre-back Jonas Hakkinen

Harps announce Tunde Owolabi from Hamilton. Didn't have a good year with them but was with FC United the season before last scoring 35 in 41 so heres hoping we have a gem there, lacked a goalscorer since McHugh not that service has always been great. Sean Boyd also back, so a few striking options this year, hopefully we can push on a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Cork City announce signing of Finnish U21 international centre-back Jonas Hakkinen

Cork looking to get pole position in the league.

(I'm so sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

overshoot wrote: »
    Harps announce Tunde Owolabi from Hamilton. Didn't have a good year with them but was with FC United the season before last scoring 35 in 41 so heres hoping we have a gem there, lacked a goalscorer since McHugh not that service has always been great. Sean Boyd also back, so a few striking options this year, hopefully we can push on a bit

Is this the lad who played in the 2nd half at the Showgrounds last week? Think he wore #8 and played on the right side of the attack. Looked decent.

Ollie is putting together a very interesting squad. A lot of potential there.

Tbh can't remember what number he had on, think he just came on second half and did have a few good touches and relieving runs out of defence although felt he shifted position too.

We've kept the core of last year's squad for once and in fairness think the additions all bring something and can compete for a starting spot. If we can be a bit more consistent this year and avoid our traditional dire run of defeats somewhere, could really push on... Optimism and reality rarely match for harps though....

pgj2015 wrote: »
    lol probably.

I think Cherry will do ok for us though, he is a decent keeper.

Yeah Doogan should just stay at Athlone. lot of new faces in this year, hard to know how the team will gel.

I agree with the Doogan loan, but why take him back, re-sign him for a season, then loan him out for the season ( to the club he was with previously on loan. (Sounds like something mad Bill looking would do)

I agree with the Doogan loan, but why take him back, re-sign him for a season, then loan him out for the season ( to the club he was with previously on loan. (Sounds like something mad Bill looking would do)

Think it is American logic...when looking for players over there they can say...."We have a former Harvard graduate, he couldnt get a visa, we found a loophole, gave him a chance, paid him when he was waiting, developed him....if you come to Ireland...you will be treated well".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Think it is American logic...when looking for players over there they can say...."We have a former Harvard graduate, he couldnt get a visa, we found a loophole, gave him a chance, paid him when he was waiting, developed him....if you come to Ireland...you will be treated well".

..... Or Buffalo Bill is a head the ball parachuting in American College students that aren't up to it and there's no real thought put into any of these signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

..... Or Buffalo Bill is a head the ball parachuting in American College students that aren't up to it and there's no real thought put into any of these signings.

Two of the players he brought in were from his alma mater which is a college that is much smaller than DKIT and play in division 3 of college football. He talks about winning champions leagues but signs lads that would be LSL level at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Come on, he's never talked about winning Champions Leagues :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Come on, he's never talked about winning Champions Leagues :D

I doubted it too.....

“My goal – and it’s what I’ve told the players and coaches – is to win the Champions League." - Buffalo Bill
    https://www.jamesrogers.ie/hulsizer-happy-to-shoot-for-the-stars-with-champions-league-ambition/amp/

The whole set up at Dundalk is so deranged and comical what goes on behind the scenes is constantly entertaining.

It goes from the owner putting his auld lad that hasn`t a notion about football in charge who in turn wanted a phone line in the dug out so he could chime in with his opinion during matches.

The smart money is on the management team tanking, Magilton being undermined by Buffalo Bill, making his excuses and bailing out, it`s just a matter of when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

I doubted it too.....

“My goal – and it’s what I’ve told the players and coaches – is to win the Champions League." - Buffalo Bill
    https://www.jamesrogers.ie/hulsizer-happy-to-shoot-for-the-stars-with-champions-league-ambition/amp/

The whole set up at Dundalk is so deranged and comical what goes on behind the scenes is constantly entertaining.

It goes from the owner putting his auld lad that hasn`t a notion about football in charge who in turn wanted a phone line in the dug out so he could chime in with his opinion during matches.

The smart money is on the management team tanking, Magilton being undermined by Buffalo Bill, making his excuses and bailing out, it`s just a matter of when.

Jesus I'm far from a Dundalk fan but would you not go into a season trying to win everything your in for? What do any fans expect? Knocked out in the first round qualifiers maybe a Semi in the FAI cup and hope to finish in the top 3/4? I put Junior teams in to the FAI local leagues hoping to make the last 4 which can put you into the senior FAI the next year!

Believe it or not, I am told by a very reliable source Bill had nothing to do with sourcing the American signings nor does he have much to do with any signing apart from saying hello, my son owns Peak6, I am the Chairman....welcome to the family, around the day the contract is signed (he was publically named for signing one lad he seen on TV or something, but this was again a recommendation Peak6 followed up on from the owner (American) of a Portuguese second division club).

If I am correctly informed, Dogan and Perez were recommended to Mike Treacy by someone at the US Football Federation. Again if I am correctly informed, Dundalk did not pay Dogans wages nor are they paying them this season at Athlone...was done via Peak6 from the states, so not effecting Dundalks budget. The other young lads are there to develope...gotta start somewhere with the academy...why not try something new, the owners have very good contacts to the USSF (Treacy plus one or two others, more or less built their stats department with them)....maybe they are exploiting something we dont know about. Treacy is/was stat mad...maybe there are stats we are not privileged to that indicate that these lads might make it. It is all odd, I admit that, however I doubt very much that they are doing it for fun...they are in business to make money. On top of that...they seem to have put together a good squad on paper this season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement