Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

joeysoap wrote: »
    This the same FAI paying €250,000 a year to Robbie Keane ? ( more than winning the league, cup, league cup combined, and they’re sponsored !)

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/fai-monitor-dundalk-see-who-23664317

Maybe they should have been monitoring their former CEO and his mates at the top table...those who were taking money out of the FAI for years. When they are at it they should also start looking at past credit card statements, rental agreements...all the money that could have been invested in coaching courses, youth setups etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This the same FAI paying €250,000 a year to Robbie Keane ? ( more than winning the league, cup, league cup combined, and they’re sponsored !)

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/fai-monitor-dundalk-see-who-23664317

Paying him €250k a year to coach at Rovers essentially.

sugarman wrote: »
    Has there been any clarity yet on whether Eir Sports will be showing games this season? Haven't seen anything anywhere.

It was very annoying last season when they held exclusive rights to a number of fixtures that weren't shown on WatchLOI ..especially after they were pulled from Virgin Media.

Up to now I havent heard / read anything about it. Looks as if RTE have left the backdoor open for them however as was poster here earlier in the thread.

Paying him €250k a year to coach at Rovers essentially.

Ahhh now we will have none of that....sure he is only doing good, killing a bit of free time which he has on his hands. Wouldnt you think with his love of LOI (after all he is giving a club his time for free) and Irish football, that he would ring the FAI and say ...... Stop paying me...condition connected to it is that €250k is put into youth structures, city projects, academies....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Maybe they should have been monitoring their former CEO and his mates at the top table...those who were taking money out of the FAI for years. When they are at it they should also start looking at past credit card statements, rental agreements...all the money that could have been invested in coaching courses, youth setups etc.

That's all well and good, but in the meantime Robbie gets €250k and has no official duties at all.

This is an utter disgrace, particularly when the Government has to borrow money to prop up the association.

From Robbie's perspective, he could probably have a case for constructive dismissal if he took it. In any other walk of life it'd be a huge issue to be sent home without any work to do and be essentially frozen out of the organisation.

hardybuck wrote: »
    That's all well and good, but in the meantime Robbie gets €250k and has no official duties at all.

This is an utter disgrace, particularly when the Government has to borrow money to prop up the association.

From Robbie's perspective, he could probably have a case for constructive dismissal if he took it. In any other walk of life it'd be a huge issue to be sent home without any work to do and be essentially frozen out of the organisation.

Two fingers up to the football nation is what he is giving. Rubbing salt into the wounds by doing the Rovers gig for free. Says a lot about the person and his so called love for the Irish game....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Two fingers up to the football nation is what he is giving. Rubbing salt into the wounds by doing the Rovers gig for free. Says a lot about the person and his so called love for the Irish game....

I'm actually more annoyed at the Association.

He's been hired to do a job, and they've basically frozen him out. I wouldn't expect him to hand over his salary, I expect the FAI to manage the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

- bo - wrote: »

Really great news that is very forward thinking and a positive move by Bohemians getting a permanent training base established and the partnership with DCU makes a lot of sense. Hopefully that can become a good base for their academy as well as they build up the facilities with the continued investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

He’s giving his time for free

:):):):):):)

Robbie Keane was on the Shamrock Rovers bench in a voluntary coaching capacity

New FAI chief executive Jonathan Hill confirmed on Friday that Keane was still currently employed by the association, however, he has no official role at the moment.

"Robbie remains an FAI employee", said Hill. "I haven't had the opportunity yet to sit down and talk with him,

Nice work if you can get it

New FAI chief executive Jonathan Hill confirmed on Friday that Keane was still currently employed by the association, however, he has no official role at the moment.

"Robbie remains an FAI employee", said Hill. "I haven't had the opportunity yet to sit down and talk with him,

It is as if he is getting a nice big pension from the FAI for all the goals he scored for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eire4 wrote: »
    It is as if he is getting a nice big pension from the FAI for all the goals he scored for us.

Clearly at this stage he's not going to leave of his own volition.
    So the FAI either need to agree a severance package with him (even if it means paying him the vast majority of the salary he would attain).
    Or else sit down with him and agree a new role to "earn" the large wages the FAI are paying him.

The last thing the FAI should be doing is sitting on their arse and just continue to pay him.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

The Robbie Keane salary aside (which is a joke), How can the FAI justify paying him and allowing him to led coaching sessions at a LOI club. This isn't a go at Rovers, the FAI are seriously undercutting any sense of impartiality they have on LOI with this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's a conflict of interest at the very least. Essentially you have the FAI paying a top level coach to coach at a LOI club.

Big Ears wrote: »
    So the FAI either need to agree a severance package with him (even if it means paying him the vast majority of the salary he would attain).
    Or else sit down with him and agree a new role to "earn" the large wages the FAI are paying him.

The last thing the FAI should be doing is sitting on their arse and just continue to pay him.

100% agree with you there.

It's a conflict of interest at the very least. Essentially you have the FAI paying a top level coach to coach at a LOI club.

Totally it truly is a joke. Surely they could find some coaching role for him within our national underage structures.

Wonder if Rovers would keep him as part of their setup if the FAI were to bill them for his time??? Not like they are short of a bob or two!!

Alternatively, the government could step in and inform the FAI that they are not willing to give tax payers money to them when an employee is clearly doing nothing for the money he is earning.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Beagslife

Big Ears wrote: »

The FAI could send him up to work with Ollie and Paul for six months as a brand ambassador and part time anger management coach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

He should be in a full time coaching role with the underage teams as someone else said and at least do something to “ earn “ the ridiculous salary.

That wouldn’t suit Robbie though , he’d rather bleed the fai for every penny and drop in on his mates in Tallaght whenever he feels like it . Win win for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can't believe what I've read above. Keane is 'volunteering' at Shams while still under contract at the FAI? That's amazing.

Found an article about it here - https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/robbie-keane-could-stay-shamrock-23605130
    But Hoops boss Bradley has ruled out Keane joining the Rovers staff on a full-time basis - yet admits he could stay with the team into the new season.

“He's been in for a few weeks and will continue to do so but he won't be signing any contracts or coming into the club in any capacity,” he said.

Well of course. He's not going to give up a €5k per week salary at the FAI to earn a few hundred working officially for Shams is he? He's earning huge money and still getting important coaching experience under the current arrangement.

There's no way this would be allowed at any other team in the league.

• Advertisement

Or any other league in the world

But they are keeping an eye on Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Isn’t Keane doing his Badges currently? That on top of the huge salary should be reason enough for the FAI to be able to tell Keane where he should “practice” his coaching to gain his badges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Isn’t Keane doing his Badges currently? That on top of the huge salary should be reason enough for the FAI to be able to tell Keane where he should “practice” his coaching to gain his badges.

He completed to pro license course last year but would still need coaching experience.

Costs €7k to do the course with the FAI, Its €1200 in Spain...
    eire4 wrote: »
    Totally it truly is a joke. Surely they could find some coaching role for him within our national underage structures.

Jim Crawford didnt want him with the U21s wth having John O'Shea and Alan Reynolds, cant see Tom Mohan wanting/needing as there is a bunch of experienced coaches with the U19s. There's a slot with the U18s since Andy Reid left to coach at Nottigham Forest maybe. One of the issues would be him being paid a awful lot more than the senior experienced coaches he'd be working under at any of the underage teams or the womens' teams either. The only role I can think of where there may not be stepping on toes in this regard would be as an ambassador coach that travels nationally to do guest coaching sessions at schoolboy clubs, or even junior clubs but would he be willing to take such a role where it may not provide the type of elite coaching experience he wants!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ahhh now we will have none of that....sure he is only doing good, killing a bit of free time which he has on his hands. Wouldnt you think with his love of LOI (after all he is giving a club his time for free) and Irish football, that he would ring the FAI and say ...... Stop paying me...condition connected to it is that €250k is put into youth structures, city projects, academies....

Why should he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

tastyt wrote: »
    He should be in a full time coaching role with the underage teams as someone else said and at least do something to “ earn “ the ridiculous salary.

That wouldn’t suit Robbie though , he’d rather bleed the fai for every penny and drop in on his mates in Tallaght whenever he feels like it . Win win for him

Hold on, what's Robbie done wrong here?

I'm confused, should he forego his insane pay just cos?

I mean, we were happy with trap and Martin's ludicrous wages (regardless of the DOB interventions), not to mention the ludicrous way in which Mick and SK got their jobs.

But yeah, Robbie should walk away because "feels".

I bet you were the sort who'd sit in Chasers and complain about how he "only ever scores penalties against San Marino" or other equally insightful observations.

---

Anyways,

Can any of the Sham fans relay what he's contributing over in Tallaght?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why should he?

Moral issue? Help Irish football etc

His salary alone is more than 600 season tickets.
    Given that the guy has millions to his name he is sucking vital funds from Irish football.
    If he was just sticking it to the FAI I would say fair play Robbie but this affecting football as a whole in this country.

• Advertisement

Why should he?

FAI is on its knees. The lad claims to love Irish football and knows it would be bankrupt if it wasnt for government bailouts.........how much has he earned throughout his career?? Does he need the money???

Morals dont come into it...I understand that but either you keep shut, ask for a payoff and move on or you keep taking the money and keep a low profile. Robbie is rubbing everyones nose in it by doing the gig at Rovers and then announcing it is voluntary. Rovers fans dont mind it....however I am sure it leaves a bad taste witht he majority of other fans around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I'm a Rovers fan and I don't want him around the club, just don't see what he'd add to the set up tbh as well as everything about his salary as already mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Hold on, what's Robbie done wrong here?

I'm confused, should he forego his insane pay just cos?

I mean, we were happy with trap and Martin's ludicrous wages (regardless of the DOB interventions), not to mention the ludicrous way in which Mick and SK got their jobs.

But yeah, Robbie should walk away because "feels".

I bet you were the sort who'd sit in Chasers and complain about how he "only ever scores penalties against San Marino" or other equally insightful observations.

---

Anyways,

Can any of the Sham fans relay what he's contributing over in Tallaght?

Speak for yourself, not everyone was happy with Trap and Martin’s wages .

Chasers .......good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

The fact that the tax payers are funding him, hes extremely minted and ...despite what Bradley might say....he cant but be undermining a club coaching set up that has been effective,Id prefer hed go over and do a bit of coaching in DCU (for instance!) or anywhere else and earn his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

damemcd wrote: »
    The fact that the tax payers are funding him, hes extremely minted and ...despite what Bradley might say....he cant but be undermining a club coaching set up that has been effective,Id prefer hed go over and do a bit of coaching in DCU (for instance!) or anywhere else and earn his money.

I get the impression its Rovers doing him a favour rather than the other way round.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Moral issue? Help Irish football etc

His salary alone is more than 600 season tickets.
    Given that the guy has millions to his name he is sucking vital funds from Irish football.
    If he was just sticking it to the FAI I would say fair play Robbie but this affecting football as a whole in this country.

But he's not though, that horse bolted a long time ago. His wages are a drop in the ocean compared to the damage done by JD & Co.

He was promised he'd be molded into the next Ireland boss after Kenny by JD hence the 4 year contract when Mick was only on a 2 year one.

Whatever anyone's feelings on that, and it is bonkers, Keane is simply taking what's contractually his. It amounts to a legacy issue now, the FAI can't pay him off and potentially can't find anything for him to do/Keane only wants a role with the senior team/none of the underage coaching teams want him either.

Its undoubtedly a mess but not of Keane making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

But he's not though, that horse bolted a long time ago. His wages are a drop in the ocean compared to the damage done by JD & Co.

He was promised he'd be molded into the next Ireland boss after Kenny by JD hence the 4 year contract when Mick was only on a 2 year one.

Whatever anyone's feelings on that, and it is bonkers, Keane is simply taking what's contractually his. It amounts to a legacy issue now, the FAI can't pay him off and potentially can't find anything for him to do/Keane only wants a role with the senior team/none of the underage coaching teams want him either.

I dont think anyone is blaming Keane for the situation, but people will wonder why he doesnt walk away especially with his existing wealth - someone is bound to be willing to take him on as a coach in England, do his apprenticship just not on that money initially. Its his right to stay put but he also knows that his salary can be ill afforded. But if he has ambition to go in to management he is taking short term (financial) gain over building his coaching CV - delusion of grandeur in not willing to start at the bottom?

Keane being given a 4 year deal to be groomed as a future RoI manager... it must be some record manufactured by Delaney, 3 international managers all employed at the same time!? Talk about covering all bases and its not as if JD hadnt experience of a rookie coach in Staunton while being mentored. It's no wonder Kenny didnt want him if he was slated to be the next Ireland manager and a threat to Kenny's job position before he'd even picked a squad!

It's not Keane's making, but it's certainly the FAI's responsibility to find a solution.
    If he's unwilling to change his role, then they need to negotiate a severance package.
    Even if that meant only saving €30-40,000 and paying him the rest of what he's entitled to it'd be worth while doing.

Coming to an amicable agreement would free up Keane to seek a role elsewhere and continue his coaching career.
    If he refuses to agree a severance package, remind him it'll hurt his ambitions of a role with the FAI in the future and highlight that the FAI will have no hesitation in mentioning Keane's reluctantance to take a new role (basically bad mouth him to the press) next time they're asked about him.

That might not seem very nice, but it's business. The FAI don't have any money and they need to save it where they can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It reminds me of the Sunderland til I Die documentaries (which are a great watch if you haven't seen them). Jack Rodwell sitting on his arse on a massive wage while the club struggles for survival.
    Robbie talks the talk but actions speak louder than words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Nesta99 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone is blaming Keane for the situation, but people will wonder why he doesnt walk away especially with his existing wealth - someone is bound to be willing to take him on as a coach in England, do his apprenticship just not on that money initially. Its his right to stay put but he also knows that his salary can be ill afforded. But if he has ambition to go in to management he is taking short term (financial) gain over building his coaching CV - delusion of grandeur in not willing to start at the bottom?

Keane being given a 4 year deal to be groomed as a future RoI manager... it must be some record manufactured by Delaney, 3 international managers all employed at the same time!? Talk about covering all bases and its not as if JD hadnt experience of a rookie coach in Staunton while being mentored. It's no wonder Kenny didnt want him if he was slated to be the next Ireland manager and a threat to Kenny's job position before he'd even picked a squad!

Keane has a huge ego and that`s driving him to stick where he is. There`s also an element of entitlement, he`s seen Roy and Staunton being employed by the FAI and on bumper money too, he probably feels he deserves a bit of that.
    I think if the FAI could pay him off they would, but they`d be on the hook for 500k+, there wont be any discount.

I`d seriously wonder what kind of coach Keane is. Woodgate had him at his first management job in a pretty disastrous Boro spell, then gets a contract to manage Bournemouth to the end of the season. He hasn`t contacted Keane, which is unusual as if you look at the likes of McCarthy, he brings Terry Connor everywhere with him. Then there`s the fact Kenny didn`t want him while at the same times his management team is pretty much made up of ex Ireland internationals.

There was absolutely zero thought put into any of this and Delaney clearly learnt nothing from the Staunton debacle. Delaney was all about playing to the gallery, appoint a successful LOI manager and after that appoint Irelands record goal scorer. Two elements of the fan base satisfied one after the other.

Both Robbie Keane and Damien Duff's actions post retirement has tarnished their excellent Ireland careers for me.

What did Damien Duff do? I was a bit miffed with him over his reaction to the tennis ball incident but can't remember him doing anything else bad.

What did Damien Duff do? I was a bit miffed with him over his reaction to the tennis ball incident but can't remember him doing anything else bad.

That's the one, was very disappointed with that.

Yeah that is just because they are out of touch. You see it with the current squad that they would rather not get near the fans and any acknowledgement is a clap from the edge of the 18 yard box.
    Footballers are cocooned and their behaviour mimics that they are surrounded by people telling them how great they are.
    Duff should have been wiser then most and it was disappointing that he wasn't.

Yeah that is just because they are out of touch. You see it with the current squad that they would rather not get near the fans and any acknowledgement is a clap from the edge of the 18 yard box.
    Footballers are cocooned and their behaviour mimics that they are surrounded by people telling them how great they are.
    Duff should have been wiser then most and it was disappointing that he wasn't.

I don't know if he wrote any articles or spoke about it after, but in Duff's defence his initial comments were coming as an analyst on the panel very shortly after it happened.

Duff was brought there to analyse the football, and was in the mindset of a player when he went to the game that day, it's not always easy to step back and think about the administrative side of things and the bigger picture so easily.

Now if he stands by those comments now, then fair enough, but I think he deserves a pass if it was just spur of the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

A one off comment about tennis balls has tarnished his reputation?

dan1895 wrote: »
    A one off comment about tennis balls has tarnished his reputation?

For me it did, it reflected the mindset that senior internationals and former internationals really didn't care about the state of Irish football from top to bottom, nor the views of the fans who support the domestic game.

The fact he played for Rovers didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Dundalk v Rovers Presidents Cup. Live tonight on Watchloi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

bocaman wrote: »
    Dundalk v Rovers Presidents Cup. Live tonight on Watchloi.

Dundalk Lineup:
    1 Alessio Abibi
    21 Daniel Cleary
    4 Andy Boyle
    6 Sonni Nattestad
    13 Raivis Jurkovskis
    5 Chris Shields
    8 Sam Stanton
    15 Darragh Leahy
    20 Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe
    29 David McMcMillan
    11 Patrick McEleney

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Dundalk Lineup:
    1 Alessio Abibi
    21 Daniel Cleary
    4 Andy Boyle
    6 Sonni Nattestad
    13 Raivis Jurkovskis
    5 Chris Shields
    8 Sam Stanton
    15 Darragh Leahy
    20 Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe
    29 David McMcMillan
    11 Patrick McEleney

Nice team that Shane Keegan picked tonight....

Ref a bit fond of the cards?

Lads WatchLOI is a joke....build up and half time not even a bit of music, an interview nor a replay of the goal. Dundalk v Bohs live stream was a benchmark for this if they wanted to do it right...however yet again the FAI and RTE feck it up...what a suprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Did I miss the replay of the equaliser?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

prodsc wrote: »
    Did I miss the replay of the equaliser?

No replays, its on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

That's never a red. Ref having a mare. The LOI is truly back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement