Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Guys, I'm really sorry, I forgot about fantasy this year. It's obviously not going to happen this evening. I'd appreciate it if someone else could run it as I don't think I'll be in a position to run it. We're hoping to have a second Rovers supporter in the house in September.

Congratulations. Hopefully Carlow-Kilkenny will have a team before they'll be old enough to get Rovers sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Madigan's back

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Oat23 wrote: »
    Madigan's back

source.gif

Its on mute

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Drogheda probably the deserved winners there in the opening game of the season. Needed the late own goal to get it, wasn't many great chances though Lyons and Corcoran came close.

Neither side overly impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Nice to see WatchLOI making an attempt to provide a bit of entertainment in the half time break and at the end of the game. Amazing what a bit of pre-recorded material can do and how it can improve a production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Super Drogheda. Top of the league.

The Pride of County Louth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'm wondering: How will Irish clubs manage without fans ? I know they're selling the thing to watch games online but I can't see many people avail of that tbf.

Any real danger of clubs going out of business over this ?

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I'm wondering: How will Irish clubs manage without fans ? I know they're selling the thing to watch games online but I can't see many people avail of that tbf.

Any real danger of clubs going out of business over this ?

Would think with the government subsidies on wages and what not, some clubs are doing better than with fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Would think with the government subsidies on wages and what not, some clubs are doing better than with fans.

Forgot about that, didn't know clubs could avail of that. Yeah that would help I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

sugarman wrote: »
    Scrappy first half, ref hasn't helped matters, blowing up for anything and everything from both sides. Wont let the game get any flow.

Very hard for a game to break out in the 5 seconds between whistles. Even the possibility of counter attacks spoiled.

Scrappy first half, ref hasn't helped matters, blowing up for anything and everything from both sides. Wont let the game get any flow.

How Desmond was booked is a mystery. We started very well but have faded a bit towards the end of half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

kksaints wrote: »
    How Desmond was booked is a mystery. We started very well but have faded a bit towards the end of half.

Perfect tackle, ref lost control after 2 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Rovers having most of the ball but unable to do anything with it. The hot take is that they are going to struggle to create chances until Towell joins later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Referee is abysmal

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Super Drogheda. Top of the league.

The Pride of County Louth ;)

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

joeysoap wrote: »
    Enjoy it.

It's been a while. We'll take what we can.

Even a relegation six-pointer in the first game of the season!

3 points are 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Can a mod change the thread title to 2021? It's bugging me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Pats looking decent here, seem to be doing well with the short corners. That new goalie looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Pats looking decent here, seem to be doing well with the short corners. That new goalie looks good.

Paddy Barrett looks a liability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Did you know the goalkeeper is on loan from Liverpool and he’s from Prague?

I’m not sure if George Hamilton has mentioned it.

No less than what pats deserved there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Shocker from Mannus.

• Advertisement

Pats completely switched off there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Haha jaysus Pats

Not the first goal Benson has scored agaínst Rovers

Annoying to concede so late and so soon after scoring but I'm happy with the performance and getting a draw in Tallaght is a good result. Keeper looks good as does Smith. Need to follow that up with a good performance against Drogs next Saturday. We had some good performances last year against Dundalk and Rovers and didn't follow it up next time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Paddy Barrett looks a liability

No idea what match you just watched, he stays on we win that game.

Usual from us vs them, they will hop off everyone else we will get beat by Drogheda next week.

We play like that every week and we win everything but we wont.

mc Clelland and Barrett looked decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Was hoping Pat's would hold on but not to be.

Not the best of games, short on chances and a bit scrappy. Pats keeper made a few good saves. Rovers looked decent in build up play at times without creating too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No idea what match you just watched, he stays on we win that game.

Usual from us vs them, they will hop off everyone else we will get beat by Drogheda next week.

We play like that every week and we win everything but we wont.

mc Clelland and Barrett looked decent.

He's a decent CB and would have done better for that cross but he has mistakes in him. Tonight alone there was a slip a sliced clearance and the mistake in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Forrester looked much better tonight. Fitness levels improved.

I thought Rovers were the better side overall.
    Jaros some good saves. Burke had a few poor efforts in good positions. McCann done well for Rovers too.
    Benson bar the cross for the OG done very little & looks past his best.
    Gaffney is poor & Greene will surely start majority of games

Poor game overall though but decent end to it.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Forrester looked much better tonight. Fitness levels improved.

I thought Rovers were the better side overall.
    Jaros some good saves. Burke had a few poor efforts in good positions. McCann done well for Rovers too.
    Benson bar the cross for the OG done very little & looks past his best.
    Gaffney is poor & Greene will surely start majority of games

Poor game overall though but decent end to it.

Thought the second half was good. Plenty of chances mostly for Rovers and some good play. First Half was dour alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Greene should definitely start as should Kavanagh and Watts. Gaffney has been better as a sub last season, but had scored more in preseason. He was poor as a starter in Sligo last year.

Lopes hasn't had a great start. I'd be putting Kavanagh straight in at left wing back, so he might lose out for now. McCann played well, but I think O'Neill is more mobile.

Two games greatly affected by the ref's eagerness to card in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Anywhere to watch highlights of the tonight’s games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

He's a decent CB and would have done better for that cross but he has mistakes in him. Tonight alone there was a slip a sliced clearance and the mistake in the box.

Was that your 1st League of ireland game to watch :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch highlights of the tonight’s games?

You should get the goals on the SSE Airtricty League twitter account but no match highlights this season i think.

I wish the FAI/league had an ounce of fcuking creativity. How hard would it be to do what sky do for the Premier league and do 2-3 minute highlights of the matches

They do! They've been doing it for 4 or 5 years now on their Youtube channel. Well before Sky did.

They usually upload all games at once on the Saturday or Sunday after the round of fixtures has been finished.

Thats great. I stand corrected however they mustn't be doing a great job of promoting it!

deisedude wrote: »
    Thats great. I stand corrected however they mustn't be doing a great job of promoting it!

That would be common sense....FAI/LOI dont do that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

This is also the first I'm hearing of this.

It's never advertised from what I've seen. Not even a tweet with a link. Videos rarely break 1k views. Plus, the videos are uploaded to the FAITV youtube page. They should have an official League of Ireland youtube page where they are uploaded.

I think most of us would come up with better ideas to promote the league sitting on the jacks than the FAI marketing department would

I think most of us would come up with better ideas to promote the league sitting on the jacks than the FAI marketing department would

Problem is they dont want to promote it, they need it but dont want it. In a perfect world Sky would walk in and tell the FAI they want to pay €5 million a year for the TV rights to the LOI....LOI would get €1 million, rest would go on credit card bills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This is the sad state of affairs that is the LOI. It takes grass roots guys doing things in their own time for the league to get any exposure. There is a guy called Paul Nealon who does a decent channel on all things Irish football for example. But afaik this is off his own back. There is no reason why the FAI couldn't assist guys like this in their endeavours*.
    The clubs don't help themselves in this regard either.

*although thinking about it FAI involvement might be a conflict of interest here but the point stands.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    although thinking about it FAI involvement might be a conflict of interest here but the point stands.

That ship sailed a long time ago. They're currently paying one of their coaches 5 grand a week while he's at Shamrock Rovers 'volunteering'.

Afaik the ref didn’t resind the red but the player sent off last week can play this evening :confused: . I’m not complaining by the way :) saw it happen before when Bolger was sent off in Cork. He played the following week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Paul Nealon owns/runs IFFTV (Irish Football Fan TV). They're a for profit sports marketing company, he does it full time. They generate their money through views/clicks and ad/sponsorship revenue. The lad himself had little to no interest in Irish football or the league until he started the channel. Was a staunch EPL / Everton fan. Had never been to LOI games previously and would only ever attend Ireland games whenever we were doing well.

...and the FAI DO assist guys like this. IFFTV are FAI media accredited, it's how they get access to players / managers / staff for exclusive interviews and allowed attend press conferences, Q&A's etc.. they also get access to all things LOI Inc games and pre/post match interviews with players and managers etc.. plus a host of other freebies.

I'm far from a fan of the FAI but sometimes they are just dammed if they do, dammed if they don't around here.

Good for him. I doubt he is making millions out of it and does more for LOI than any of the official bodies.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Afaik the ref didn’t resind the red but the player sent off last week can play this evening :confused: . I’m not complaining by the way :) saw it happen before when Bolger was sent off in Cork. He played the following week.

President's cup is considered a friendly officially I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I know non bohs fans will just laugh at this and fire abuse but couldn’t the fai employ Daniel Lambert to just go and promote the league

Whatever you say about him and bohs woke / PC ideas he has made them without doubt the best marketed team in the league and added huge numbers to membership and attendances at the end of last year. And it’s with **** all money but a lot of imagination.

As I said , non Bohs supporters will laugh at it and I’m sure he has no intention of leaving bohs to work with that crowd of dopes in the fai but they could make him an offer to do it in addition to his bohs stuff .

I think he would really bring the league to a wider audience. Yes all clubs have to do their individual thing but the league as a package and an experience needs to be pushed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement