Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

tastyt wrote: »
    I know non bohs fans will just laugh at this and fire abuse but couldn’t the fai employ Daniel Lambert to just go and promote the league

Whatever you say about him and bohs woke / PC ideas he has made them without doubt the best marketed team in the league and added huge numbers to membership and attendances at the end of last year. And it’s with **** all money but a lot of imagination.

As I said , non Bohs supporters will laugh at it and I’m sure he has no intention of leaving bohs to work with that crowd of dopes in the fai but they could make him an offer to do it in addition to his bohs stuff .

I think he would really bring the league to a wider audience. Yes all clubs have to do their individual thing but the league as a package and an experience needs to be pushed

I don’t think I could stomach it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

tastyt wrote: »
    I know non bohs fans will just laugh at this and fire abuse but couldn’t the fai employ Daniel Lambert to just go and promote the league

Whatever you say about him and bohs woke / PC ideas he has made them without doubt the best marketed team in the league and added huge numbers to membership and attendances at the end of last year. And it’s with **** all money but a lot of imagination.

As I said , non Bohs supporters will laugh at it and I’m sure he has no intention of leaving bohs to work with that crowd of dopes in the fai but they could make him an offer to do it in addition to his bohs stuff .

I think he would really bring the league to a wider audience. Yes all clubs have to do their individual thing but the league as a package and an experience needs to be pushed

I want auld Bill from my beloved Peak6...sure there isnt a day that passes where he is not mentioned in the press or social media, bad press is also publicity. Would also piss off the Dublin based clubs and plenty of JDs mates who are still earning a living from the FAI and LOI. :D:D:P:P;);)

Ok in the real world...anyone with half a notion of PR/Marketing could do it, it is not rocket science....a lot is common sense and social media. If social media picks up on it the rest will follow. If you have the skills modern marketing doesnt have to be expensive....it is all about how you want to reach your customers. FAI could learn a lot from what Gavin McLaughlin is doing at Oriel on the media side of things and I am sure there are plenty more like him around the LOI. These lads generally do not get enough credit....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'd have the lovechild of Roddy Collins and Pat Dolan marketing the league before Lambert. Of the few Bohs fans I know personally, they can't stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Bohs stuff works well because it's unique to them in the LOi. If more clubs started following them down those lines it would just dilute the effect and the pool for that stuff is limited enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

On the bohs line of things, harps and that glorious nectar of the gods kinnegar teaming up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

dfx- wrote: »
    Greene should definitely start as should Kavanagh and Watts. Gaffney has been better as a sub last season, but had scored more in preseason. He was poor as a starter in Sligo last year.

Lopes hasn't had a great start. I'd be putting Kavanagh straight in at left wing back, so he might lose out for now. McCann played well, but I think O'Neill is more mobile.

Two games greatly affected by the ref's eagerness to card in a week.

Rovers will be much better with Watts and Kavanagh starting. Best of the new signings imo last night was Hoare. Gannon seemed to go out of it after he got treatment on his back, hopefully he is ok. Mandroiu had a good second half after he started dropping deep to get possession. McCann passed around well at times but agree with dfx that O’Neill is more mobile. Only one game in and I doubt any club has settled on their best 11 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Haha I knew there would be a backlash to my Lambert suggestion ☺️

On the flip side if we wait for someone that we all love and think is a great lad to take the reigns , we’ll be waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Why are WatchLOI streams never smooth? They are taking the ****. Now that I know how much money they p*ss away on it these little things stand out and are unacceptable.

I wonder if GAAGO is the same. The streams are always juddery.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This stream is shíte. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Is the first division going to be on the streaming app

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This stream is shíte. Disgraceful.

Seems to have settled down now.

Shocking error at the back from McGinty passing into danger leading to Dundalk's opener.

Is it within the rules to not display a name on the back of a jersey? For some reason I thought you had to do it now, but maybe that is only UEFA games?

Rovers have removed the names and now have a sponsor there instead which is fair enough I suppose. Can't turn down income right now..

Oat23 wrote: »
    Why are WatchLOI streams never smooth? They are taking the ****. Now that I know how much money they p*ss away on it these little things stand out and are unacceptable.

I wonder if GAAGO is the same. The streams are always juddery.

Stream improved a lot after they removed the graphics. There is obviously something wrong with the production side that is causing the stream to become unstable when they add the on-screen graphics. Hopefully it's resolved next weekend.

A very entertaining game at the Showgrounds. Rovers probably unlucky not to get 3 points in the end after dominating the final 15-20 minutes of it.

Is this offside? It would have been the winner in the 89th minute. I'm not convinced Byrne is ahead of the play when Cawley squares it to him.

https://i.imgur.com/mpYqcgw.png

Bolger will be a huge player for us if he stays fit. Gibson who joined from Pat's was also very influential and Kenny up front has a very bright future.

Dundalk very very lucky, we aint gonna win a lot of games with a back 5 and 2 defensive midfielders. Junior, McEleny and Hoban looked lost up front.
    Well done Sligo Rovers, very impressive performance, young Kenny looks the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Enjoyed that game. I thought the standard (especially from Sligo) was fairly good throughout. A draw was the most we deserved. We’ll take it. Longford and Harps are obviously nobody’s fools.

Kenny looks a real prospect. Kane the same, but we won’t play him.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Longford and Harps are obviously nobody’s fools.

Kenny looks a real prospect. Kane the same, but we won’t play him.

Given our form the last half of the season, our stronger squad, dunno why it's a shock, Alken was condescending as hell towards the end of the game. We've beaten bohs a few times since coming up.

Reckon divine could be first sacked though.

Kenny is quality alright (had both games Infront of me :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Dundalk look to be a work in progress . Will be tough for them to meet expectations. Sligo could be darkhorses. Teams won't like having to deal with Parkes, Figueiria , Kenny and Gibson. De Vries another good option. Bolger looks an astute signing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dundalk need an attacking midfielder badly.
    Very little link up play.
    Lucky to get a point.
    They will improve but will not get a lot of time to do so.

Is this offside? It would have been the winner in the 89th minute. I'm not convinced Byrne is ahead of the play when Cawley squares it to him.

https://i.imgur.com/mpYqcgw.png

Oof. We were robbed :(

Ew8tTB8WYAEU1FV?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Dundalk need an attacking midfielder badly.
    Very little link up play.
    Lucky to get a point.
    They will improve but will not get a lot of time to do so.

I'm not convinced we can play 3-5-2. Despite having Shields and Slogett in midfield our defense was completely exposed when Sligo were on the attack

• Advertisement

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced we can play 3-5-2. Despite having Shields and Slogett in midfield our defense was completely exposed when Sligo were on the attack

My worry is Boyle in the middle of the 3 at the back. He seems lost in the formation, hasnt impressed me at all since he returned to the club, however I feel midfield is the bigger problem. A keeper and 7 defenders, we do not have a player linking back to front, seems to be a case of play it out from the back, give it to a wing back and hope for the best. The middle is exposed, maybe Murray is the answer if he can get fit, however I have a feeling we are setting up like a typical Italian team of old....defend, soak up pressure and hope to nick a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Sligo will finish above Dundalk
    not convinced about Dundalk

management seems a joke quite a few players Boyle,Hoban,Gartland,Mceleney and maybe even Duffy past their best

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers will be much better with Watts and Kavanagh starting. Best of the new signings imo last night was Hoare. Gannon seemed to go out of it after he got treatment on his back, hopefully he is ok. Mandroiu had a good second half after he started dropping deep to get possession. McCann passed around well at times but agree with dfx that O’Neill is more mobile. Only one game in and I doubt any club has settled on their best 11 yet.

what characterised Bradley early on (17/18) was a poor start trying to fit new players in - Devine, Gilchrist, Boyle being some in particular before figuring it out way too late.

2019 and 2020 he picked the same side that had finished strongly and put his best two seasons together from the start. He needs to go back to it and not play so many new players in at once.

Murray, hopefullylly, will make a difference. For the start of the season, dundalk seem have a lot of injuries

Boyle has been a shadow of the player since he came back. Really poor imo. Dundalk are in a real battle for Europe this season think they'll struggle aswell.

Most teams are going to take 4/5 games to settle down, wouldn’t be writing off anyone yet. I do think Sligo will surprise many but ultimately I think Rovers will retain the trophy but it will be a helluva lot closer than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I did not pay for WatchLOI, but I hear we were shocking away to Longford. Could have been beaten by more.

Going to be a long, hard season again.

Devine has not got a notion about football. Clueless.

Guess which image is from the national broadcaster and which is from what I assume would be club volunteers?
    Longford were getting stick for not having their floodlights working for opening day and had to post their own footage to show there was no issue.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Guess which image is from the national broadcaster and which is from what I assume would be club volunteers?
    Longford were getting stick for not having their floodlights working for opening day and had to post their own footage to show there was no issue.

€300k+ and they can't even adjust the colour balance.

The first 10 or so minutes of the Drogs game also had a weird issue with the colour balance until the camera man adjusted it. Everything is just so half arsed it's unreal.

Saw this on twitter and thought it was worth mentioning.

(I know we're beating a dead horse at this point)

The Latvian Virsliga (ranked 4 places below us) has it's own online service during COVID. All games are shown live and free of charge on the league's site. https://optibetvirsliga.com/gallery/games
    Games have 2 commentators and from the clip I watched I counted at least 5 different cameras.
    Half time has 15 minutes of highlights from other recent games.

And to top it off I noticed the official site even has it's own fantasy game for the league.

Here's an example from a game yesterday - https://streamable.com/8goxjb

If part of my WatchLOI subscription wasn't going to Rovers I'd actually request a refund.

• Advertisement

The Latvian Virsliga (ranked 4 places below us) has it's own online service during COVID. All games are shown live and free of charge on the league's site. https://optibetvirsliga.com/gallery/games
    Games have 2 commentators and from the clip I watched I counted at least 5 different cameras.

And to top it off I noticed the official site even has it's own fantasy game for the league.

If part of my WatchLOI subscription wasn't going to Rovers I'd actually request a refund.

Inteesting to see that.Yea its a joke this year. The official website has now abandoned live updates and match reports it seems. Who knows when and if we will get highlights.

I watched the games this past weekend on the AI streams. While their better than Trackchamp last season. They still aren't great. Just one camera so I didnt expect much tbh. 1st division clubs are in for a shock nxt week if they expect the coverage do to be anywhere near the quality of the streams the clubs produced last season. I expect **** to hit the fan on Friday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I thought the lights were not working too tbh.

WatchLOI is a rip off tbh.

I cannot see it doing well. Have 3 games at the same time as well is makes no senses.
    But many things in the league dont make sense especially in regards to promotion of the league. Should be a thursday game imo.

https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1370382433380659203

they advertised for a social media co-ordinater a week before the season started.
    Why it wasnt done months ago:confused:

Oof. We were robbed :(

Ew8tTB8WYAEU1FV?format=jpg&name=medium

Player who crossed the ball offside? Either way unlucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

You could request a refund and give the whole fee to Rovers.

Or buy a season ticket and get it for ‘free’ :pac:

Guffy wrote: »
    You could request a refund and give the whole fee to Rovers.

Not a bad idea. I've opened a ticket and was just honest. It's nowhere near the standard it needs to be at and I'm not happy paying for it.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Or buy a season ticket and get it for ‘free’ :pac:

We didn't have STs in Sligo this year. Just a 12 match ticket book valid for 2021 & 2022. We were offered a WatchLOI pass in exchange for 3 tickets from the ticket book but it involved posting 3 tickets to the club and I wasn't bothered. Too much hassle.

• Advertisement

Still no word on LOITV with the first division and WNL starting next weekend.

Seems like the FAI have finally realised that 6pm KO's would clash with ROI game Saturday night.

https://twitter.com/SSEAirtricityLg/status/1373663438707302402

Still no word on LOITV with the first division and WNL starting next weekend.

Self-sabotage so they can say "Look! Nobody is interested in this so we aren't doing it ever again!" when it fails to attract any subscribers with zero promotion and no website until 4 or 5 days before kickoff.

Same thing RTE did with Soccer Republic when they turned it into a 30 minute highlight show and kept changing the time from 7pm to 11pm randomly. Then when only 20k watch it they have an excuse to get rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Why did Shams get a banner done commemorating the 18 series of league games last year ? Fools and their money eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Self-sabotage so they can say "Look! Nobody is interested in this so we aren't doing it ever again!" when it fails to attract any subscribers with zero promotion and no website until 4 or 5 days before kickoff.

Same thing RTE did with Soccer Republic when they turned it into a 30 minute highlight show and kept changing the time from 7pm to 11pm randomly. Then when only 20k watch it they have an excuse to get rid.

The clubs could actually do this better and make a bit of money out of it if the FAI left them to it.

• Advertisement

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The clubs could actually do this better and make a bit of money out of it if the FAI left them to it.

Just read elsewhere that there were ads on 2FM today advertising LOITV for €79...

...But there's no way to actually buy it after hearing about it on the radio.

Incredible from the FAI again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Why did Shams get a banner done commemorating the 18 series of league games last year ? Fools and their money eh!

?

Not a bad idea. I've opened a ticket and was just honest. It's nowhere near the standard it needs to be at and I'm not happy paying for it.

We didn't have STs in Sligo this year. Just a 12 match ticket book valid for 2021 & 2022. We were offered a WatchLOI pass in exchange for 3 tickets from the ticket book but it involved posting 3 tickets to the club and I wasn't bothered. Too much hassle.

That ‘book’ idea seems a good idea.my club are selling STs but to be honest I don’t know how there going. Not very well I expect , they are offering the watchloi through the Patreon sub as well. So you could be doubley subscribed

It would be better to let each club sell their own stream

‘The club has introduced a discounted season ticket renewal pack ahead of the 2021 SSE Airtricity League season.

The offer is available to supporters who did not avail of a refund, jersey or voucher offer prior to Christmas 2020 and includes:

A discounted 2021 Dundalk FC season ticket
    WATCHLOI streaming pass
    A Dundalk FC face mask
    A digital programme for every league match
    Entry into a draw to win a trip for 2 to New York City’

https://www.dundalkfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/seasonticketprices.png

So you could get a season ticket for €85/€95 and it includes watchloi

Shams? 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

It's a bit pathetic this referring to Shamrock Rovers as Shams: a petty and bitter phenomenon. I've never once heard any of the other LOI teams being referred to in a derogatory manner. Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

fatbhoy wrote: »
    It's a bit pathetic this referring to Shamrock Rovers as Shams: a petty and bitter phenomenon. I've never once heard any of the other LOI teams being referred to in a derogatory manner. Grow up.

Funnily enough, I've often called Shamrock Rovers 'Shams' in general conversation but it's never meant as insulting, just a shortened name like 'Bohs' or 'Shels'. I can't speak to how individual people use it but imo a lot would use it completely innocently as just a shortened name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Corholio wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I've often called Shamrock Rovers 'Shams' in general conversation but it's never meant as insulting, just a shortened name like 'Bohs' or 'Shels'. I can't speak to how individual people use it but imo a lot would use it completely innocently as just a shortened name.

The short name is Rovers, and always has been.

Not sure if you know the meaning of the vernacular, "Shams". Maybe you should look it up.

:-/

Corholio wrote: »

It's Shams in Sligo purely because Sligo Rovers are Rovers here. Has nothing to do with being petty or insulting. No idea where this idea that Shams is derogatory has come from? It's just short for Shamrock.

I googled 'Shams urban dictionary' and a downvoted definition is that Sham/Shams is the Irish equivalent of chav? News to me. We always used to jokingly call each other Sham when I was growing up and I've always considered it a culchie alternative to dude/mate :pac:

fatbhoy wrote: »
    The short name is Rovers, and always has been.

Not sure if you know the meaning of the vernacular, "Shams". Maybe you should look it up.

:-/
    Rovers is a generic add on to many football clubs, you dont have a monolopy on it. Seems strange to be offended by someone not saying Rovers... even stranger that you'd jump to the conclusion that we are saying your from ballyshannon (harsh and all as that would be) than just shortening your clubs name as 2 syllables is more effort

You hear players referring to them as Shams even, particularly players who've played in Sligo.

If anyone wants any derogatory terms for them please DM me I have many many.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement