Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that he's the first Korean in the LOI?

Nope. Kim Jin-gu and Yob Son.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/seoul-brothers-league-of-irelands-korean-connection-26786415.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that he's the first Korean in the LOI?

Galway had two about a decade ago Son Yob and Kim Jingu. This lad is coming in from a higher level, having been with a team that won promotion to the Korean top flight last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wow, haha.

Yep, we're real innovators out West.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1375128524487557124

When crowds are back Oriel will be full with new Asian fans

I can see Bohs trying something like this in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Oat23 wrote: »

I used go to a good few Galway games when I lived up there and that would explain the thousands of Korean fans that were always in Eamon Deacy park.

They must have opened up the Asian Market!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps third kit to support Doneagl Down Syndrome, €10 from each jerseys going towards it (actually purple, looks a bit blue in this)
    https://twitter.com/FinnHarpsFC/status/1375180920894930946?s=20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1375128524487557124

When crowds are back Oriel will be full with new Asian fans

Will he be allowed into Bray?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Well, the chip van in Oriel is Sing Li

Or is that Chinese ?

Or should that be Vietnamese :confused:

Think I’ll settle for hand rolled Ice Cream

Or hot Bovril

That’s another thing - why is Bovril always described as hot ? Never as cold or lukewarm or something

Must be getting old

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

wadacrack wrote: »
    I can see Bohs trying something like this in the summer.
    We love a publicity stunt no doubt, but I can't see Long tolerating it impinging on the players he gets.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Bit of a statement signing from Dundalk. Played for the past several years at a much higher level including at Valencia in La Liga and he was an MLS all star player after moving to the US.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/wilfried-zahibo/profil/spieler/198529

He's playing in the AFCON qualifiers today and on Tuesday so I'm guessing it will be the Bohs game when he'll debut.

https://twitter.com/jamesrogersie/status/1375369009097551873

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bit of a statement signing from Dundalk. Played for the past several years at a much higher level including at Valencia in La Liga and he was an MLS all star player after moving to the US.

He's playing in the AFCON qualifiers today and on Tuesday so I'm guessing it will be the Bohs game when he'll debut.

He played with Valencia B, not quite the same thing. Its 3rd tier.
    He played in Spain, but I doubt he played in La Liga.

And if he was an All Star player in the US, why do teams keep shifting him on?

I never get too excited about these guys who have been around the block. We had a few of them at Derry over the years.
    They arrive in a fanfare and generally they disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It’s probably just my overly cynical nature but I always look at those things and be like ‘ok but if he is still above the level to play here why has he come here?’

No doubt Dundalk pay better money than most (maybe all) Irish clubs but there are clubs all over the world who pay that kind of money also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Keegan said in an interview over the last few days that if everything goes without a hitch they may be in a position to annouce him on this day next week. Paperwork still being done and all that...

NIMAN wrote: »
    He played with Valencia B, not quite the same thing. Its 3rd tier.
    He played in Spain, but I doubt he played in La Liga.

He started two games in La Liga and was on the bench for other games, plus he was a regular cup player for Valencia on their run to the semi-finals back in 15/16. This was the year they were a mess and even Neville managed them, but still. He was 23 at the time so not some kid from the youth team they threw out there for experience.

8dbe02c34d630016fbf287b24819050d.png

He played for Valencia B in the 3rd tier prior to that season.

After 15/16 he moved to Gimnastic and was a regular for them in La Liga 2 (2nd tier) for 2 seasons before moving to America in 2018.
    And if he was an All Star player in the US, why do teams keep shifting him on?

He's 27 and has had 4 senior clubs until now. Three if you ignore Valencia where he started out as a youth player. Hardly a journeyman yet.

On paper he is a good signing. He's only 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

CSF wrote: »
    It’s probably just my overly cynical nature but I always look at those things and be like ‘ok but if he is still above the level to play here why has he come here?’

No doubt Dundalk pay better money than most (maybe all) Irish clubs but there are clubs all over the world who pay that kind of money also.

Sometimes it's because they aren't as good as it appears, sometimes it's because they only plan on coming here for a very short period and see it as a transition to another European league, and sometimes they just do.

Why did Joey N'Do want to come here ?, the man had over 20 caps for Cameroon, played as a regular starter in the top leagues in Switzerland and France (including winning the French Cup), was in a few World Cup squads, won the African Cup of Nations twice and was only 27.
    Why in God's name did he go to Pat's ?.......well thankfully he did anyway, he was great for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Big Ears wrote: »
    Sometimes it's because they aren't as good as it appears, sometimes it's because they only plan on coming here for a very short period and see it as a transition to another European league, and sometimes they just do.

Why did Joey N'Do want to come here ?, the man had over 20 caps for Cameroon, played as a regular starter in the top leagues in Switzerland and France (including winning the French Cup), was in a few World Cup squads, won the African Cup of Nations twice and was only 27.
    Why in God's name did he go to Pat's ?.......well thankfully he did anyway, he was great for the league.

There may well be some merit to what you say, but the fact that we’ve to go back near 2 decades to get the relevant example, probably means it’s not that repeatable also though.

We’re usually a league where players become good rather than good players join. We get some Irish lads who get homesick or whatever, but that’s usually the height of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He started two games in La Liga and was on the bench for other games, plus he was a regular cup player for Valencia on their run to the semi-finals back in 15/16. This was the year they were a mess and even Neville managed them, but still. He was 23 at the time so not some kid from the youth team they threw out there for experience.

8dbe02c34d630016fbf287b24819050d.png

He played for Valencia B in the 3rd tier prior to that season.

After 15/16 he moved to Gimnastic and was a regular for them in La Liga 2 (2nd tier) for 2 seasons before moving to America in 2018.

He's 27 and has had 4 senior clubs until now. Three if you ignore Valencia where he started out as a youth player. Hardly a journeyman yet.

On paper he is a good signing. He's only 27.

That's me told!

Must keep an eye on him, see how he does.
    As I said, have seen plenty of these types arrive at Derry over the years, the vast majority disappoint. You tend to find if he was all that, clubs wouldn't be so quick to move him on.

Unless its an attitude issue? Time will tell. Potentially a good signing.

That's me told!

Must keep an eye on him, see how he does.
    As I said, have seen plenty of these types arrive at Derry over the years, the vast majority disappoint. You tend to find if he was all that, clubs wouldn't be so quick to move him on.

Unless its an attitude issue? Time will tell. Potentially a good signing.

Based on his club history and the standard he has played at regularly since 2015 you'd think he would be a step above the type of player you are referring to. We've had plenty of them are Sligo Rovers so I know them too well. Adam Morgan, the hyped up Liverpudlian who was supposed to be the next Robbie Fowler or Morten Nielsen who once shared a hot tub with Didier Drogba at Chelsea etc..

Could be attitude problems, or maybe he was injured for the past few months and now with the window closed in most places his opportunities were limited and then Dundalk came in. Marek Hamsik (not that he's anywhere near his level) has ended up in Sweden for the next few months for similar reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Acosta

Pity you can't just pay for individual matches on LOI TV. I wouldn't mind watching the Cork City V Cobh Ramblers game, but have little interest signing up for the entire season.

• Advertisement

Acosta wrote: »
    Pity you can't just pay for individual matches on LOI TV. I wouldn't mind watching the Cork City V Cobh Ramblers game, but have little interest signing up for the entire season.

You can buy them individually too - https://www.loitv.ie/event/605228752d6b6410bbbfcdca

Might have to scroll down to see it but there's a 'Buy this event for €5' option.

Webster is everywhere

You can buy them individually too - https://www.loitv.ie/event/605228752d6b6410bbbfcdca

Might have to scroll down to see it but there's a 'Buy this event for €5' option.

I saw that earlier and assumed as much, but when you go into it you need an access code to continue. I assume you need to subscribe to get that code as there's no other information.

Acosta wrote: »
    I saw that earlier and assumed as much, but when you go into it you need an access code to continue. I assume you need to subscribe to get that code as there's no other information.

There's definitely an option for individual games there unless I'm missing something?

Looks like this:
    3bd5974595f69c84644e7bef03412710.png

When I click 'Buy a ticket for this event' it switches to asking for payment information (I'm logged in).

6d5483456fa0f2d80f66cc763af6569f.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I bought the Galway-Shels match. Doesn't look like you can stream it to Chromecast. Don't want to be wafching it on my phone

There's definitely an option for individual games there unless I'm missing something?

Looks like this:
    3bd5974595f69c84644e7bef03412710.png

When I click 'Buy a ticket for this event' it switches to asking for payment information (I'm logged in).

6d5483456fa0f2d80f66cc763af6569f.png

Ah yes, you're correct. I was being a bit slow there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk are 1 down

Look dodgy playing out from the back. Conceded one chance & just gave Finn Harps a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Complete howler from Abibi

Abibi was really good in the Showgrounds last week but that's a clanger :o

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

How much have Dundalk spent? They are playing no better than Harps.

Dundalk looking very weak here....Dundalk just dont look like they have a goal in them nor do the players look like they are too bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

At least, the time is being filled by last weeks highlights at half time on WATCHLOI now. Definitely an improvement.

kksaints wrote: »
    At least, the time is being filled by last weeks highlights at half time on WATCHLOI now. Definitely an improvement.

Just a pity about the general picture quality....not way it is HD. RTE / FAI doing their best to make this fail.

Dundalk looking very weak here....Dundalk just dont look like they have a goal in them nor do the players look like they are too bothered.
    dont know why they keep playing Hoban.

He has a very poor goalscoring record last few years outside penalties,is slow & just moans all the time

McMillian should be starting

dont know why they keep playing Hoban.

He has a very poor goalscoring record last few years outside penalties,is slow & just moans all the time

McMillian should be starting

100% with you....would also love to see Junior in the middle. Will be a long season if our manager Shane Keegan keeps playing 1990s Serie A tactics.

• Advertisement

Surprised he subbed off Junior. :confused:

He's the only one on the pitch I can say is willing to work his socks off. The others don't look too bothered.

Surprised he subbed off Junior. :confused:

He's the only one on the pitch I can say is willing to work his socks off. The others don't look too bothered.

I wasnt impressed with Junior at all. O´Kane is the man to watch, lets see if he takes his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And who scores? Hoban.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭irishmanmick

Where was the Keeper for that goal!? Mad positioning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Junior looks like he won a competition to play IMO. He doesn't seem to have anything about him bar a few pointless step-overs.

Slogget is in the same basket. He adds nothing and always seems to lose the ball. I don't get why we persevere with him.

• Advertisement

Hoban goal quite easy finish to be honest. Still think McMillian is a better player.

O'Kane has done well since he came on

Equium wrote: »
    Junior looks like he won a competition to play IMO. He doesn't seem to have anything about him bar a few pointless step-overs.

Slogget is in the same basket. He adds nothing and always seems to lose the ball. I don't get why we persevere with him.

Yeah Slogget is very poor, He had a great chance in the 1st half to play a ball through to Junior. He just missed the ball completly.

Dundalk much better 2nd half though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Just a pity about the general picture quality....not way it is HD. RTE / FAI doing their best to make this fail.

The bitrate is surely half of what it was last year. Mad the FAI went on about "Super HD RTE Cameras".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Equium wrote: »

That cross he just attempted christ.... I don't know why we persist with Shields and Slogget in the middle when they're nearly the same type of player

great counter attack goal from Harps.

Very good game this

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭irishmanmick

Great finish! Foley for top goal scorer wha'!

The bitrate is surely half of what it was last year. Mad the FAI went on about "Super HD RTE Cameras".

Bitrates are the same actually.
    BANDWIDTH=3542,RESOLUTION=1920x1080

The quality was never great to begin with to be honest. I'd much prefer if they used 720p at 3500kbps instead of the 1080p. The image is nowhere near 1080p quality.

How much have Dundalk spent? They are playing no better than Harps.

Not as good as Harps

Can see why Dundalk play 3 at the back.

They are slow at the back without Hoare.

Can see why Dundalk play 3 at the back.

They are slow at the back without Hoare.

Boyle aint at the races, hasnt been since resigning, once Gartland is fit I suspect we will see a change there. Slogget and Leahy are a shambles and the rest just looks too slow. Shane Keegan would want to change his system very soon, because he doesnt have the players to play the Italian way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement