Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

At least Hoare shouldn't be available next Fri night
    (though it won't make much difference) Derry making better use of Patching than Dundalk did. ( he's still a dundalk player - shows what Filippe knew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Shocking ref decision goal should never have stood in the Derry game

https://twitter.com/areyou_foreaal/status/1393641306245771267

Where was the referees assistant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

And as always nobody will be held accountable by the FAI.

Knowing Bradley he'll probably say Derry were lucky to get a point in his post match interview.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's amazing that the Rovers player even attempted it, he must have known he'd have a decent chance of getting away with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

33 games might be the end of the run. Greene, Kavanagh, Watts, O'Brien, Farrugia, Burke now looked injured too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

https://twitter.com/areyou_foreaal/status/1393641306245771267
    Referees cowardly allowing throw ins be taken 5 to 10 yards further up the field at all levels for the past 20 years has been a scourge upon the sport but that had to be 15 to 20 yards up the field in the attackers favour

Who says after Shams and Juve today at all levels the BIG clubs don't get very very very suspicious favourable refereeing in their favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Cobh/Shels stream just failed there thank CHRIST

The stream was absolutely diabolical! Wonder if that's been their coverage so far this season, they can't be expecting people to pay for it! Constant freezing, the jumping back 10 mins and the commentary a few seconds fast!

F*ck it anyway... 3 points and top!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

dfx- wrote: »
    33 games might be the end of the run. Greene, Kavanagh, Watts, O'Brien, Farrugia, Burke now looked injured too...

Squad looks pretty thin all of a sudden ðŸ™

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That Rovers goal was shocking

Bar waterford every team played well In tallaght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The stream was absolutely diabolical! Wonder if that's been their coverage so far this season, they can't be expecting people to pay for it! Constant freezing, the jumping back 10 mins and the commentary a few seconds fast!

F*ck it anyway... 3 points and top!

Every club media team has tried to make streams happen from out of nowhere with no budget in the last twelve months. Most clubs made good progress with it last season, and then on short notice this year there was a rapid change in platform to LOITV, which is very complicated.

I know it's unpleasant to watch a stream that isn't working well, but simple it certainly isn't. A lot of hard work going in on all sides to make this happen.

I encourage everyone to give their media team some bloody patience. If they're Divison 1 or WNL, they've been breaking their bloody backs to produce a LOI stream this past year with major challenges both footballing and personal. If they're Premier Division, they've got a massive learning curve to come this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Every club media team has tried to make streams happen from out of nowhere with no budget in the last twelve months. Most clubs made good progress with it last season, and then on short notice this year there was a rapid change in platform to LOITV, which is very complicated.

I know it's unpleasant to watch a stream that isn't working well, but simple it certainly isn't. A lot of hard work going in on all sides to make this happen.

I encourage everyone to give their media team some bloody patience. If they're Divison 1 or WNL, they've been breaking their bloody backs to produce a LOI stream this past year with major challenges both footballing and personal. If they're Premier Division, they've got a massive learning curve to come this year.

Ah no. People were paying to watch the game. I don’t think people were expecting Sky coverage from this, but being able to watch the game seems like a reasonable enough minimum requirement.

P*ss poor from Cobh and them pulling the ‘they’re volunteers’ line online, when the criticism isn’t directed specifically towards any individual volunteer is just deflecting.

The LOITV quality hasn’t been amazing in any of the 8 games we’ve played this season and that’s to be expected, but Cobh were the only ones who couldn’t even really show the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Referees cowardly allowing throw ins be taken 5 to 10 yards further up the field at all levels for the past 20 years has been a scourge upon the sport but that had to be 15 to 20 yards up the field in the attackers favour

Who says after Shams and Juve today at all levels the BIG clubs don't get very very very suspicious favourable refereeing in their favour

Are referees still assessed on their performances?
    OR has Covid put an end to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

dfx- wrote: »

Don't worry Dundalk next so it'll be at least 34

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    Bar waterford every team played well In tallaght

Hard to imagine the same Derry team that wins in Sligo, Dalymount and Tallaght hasn't won at home or played well at home yet.

In general home records are terrible outside Pats and Rovers, suiting teams being away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I assumed the Rovers goal was going to be disallowed because of two balls on the pitch (and I couldn't see the throw in), but look, it happened, and that's that.

It is a terrible decision, just as bad as Chelsea's disallowed goal yesterday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

CSF wrote: »
    Ah no. People were paying to watch the game. I don’t think people were expecting Sky coverage from this, but being able to watch the game seems like a reasonable enough minimum requirement.

P*ss poor from Cobh and them pulling the ‘they’re volunteers’ line online, when the criticism isn’t directed specifically towards any individual volunteer is just deflecting.

The LOITV quality hasn’t been amazing in any of the 8 games we’ve played this season and that’s to be expected, but Cobh were the only ones who couldn’t even really show the game.

I saw the tweet from the Cobh media officer complaining about people tweeting the Cobh official club account calling volunteers clowns and pricks and I thought, yeah he's probably right. No need for it.

Then I did a quick twitter search for "cobh" and "clowns" and then "cobh" and "pricks". Even tried searching for cobh with the clown emoji. Found one tweet with the clown emoji. So I think the media officer's reaction is a bit OTT.

It's strange how there was no mention of the internet issues in the area in advance of kick-off. Noone else complained on twitter about internet issues in the area either.

I gave up trying to watch after 10 minutes. I didn't tweet or give out about it. As some of tweets I saw in my search said I took it as a blessing that I wasn't able to watch us. Will try watch it back later.

howiya wrote: »
    I saw the tweet from the Cobh media officer complaining about people tweeting the Cobh official club account calling volunteers clowns and pricks and I thought, yeah he's probably right. No need for it.

Then I did a quick twitter search for "cobh" and "clowns" and then "cobh" and "pricks". Even tried searching for cobh with the clown emoji. Found one tweet with the clown emoji. So I think the media officer's reaction is a bit OTT.

It's strange how there was no mention of the internet issues in the area in advance of kick-off. Noone else complained on twitter about internet issues in the area either.

I gave up trying to watch after 10 minutes. I didn't tweet or give out about it. As some of tweets I saw in my search said I took it as a blessing that I wasn't able to watch us. Will try watch it back later.

No problem believing that someone may have tweeted those things, but the majority of what I saw was people making reasonable enough complaints and getting snarky responses (some of which appear to have now been deleted where people were told if they don’t like it don’t watch etc).

You can’t put out a terrible service, expect people to pay you for that service AND still be snarky as f*ck about it, it’s a max 2 out of 3 from those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

CSF wrote: »
    No problem believing that someone may have tweeted those things, but the majority of what I saw was people making reasonable enough complaints and getting snarky responses (some of which appear to have now been deleted where people were told if they don’t like it don’t watch etc).

You can’t put out a terrible service, expect people to pay you for that service AND still be snarky as f*ck about it, it’s a max 2 out of 3 from those.

That's it. Regardless of whether the people putting out the stream are paid or not it's still a product people have paid for and should get. The "I'm only a volunteer" line that is wheeled out when things go wrong isn't a good enough excuse.

• Advertisement

howiya wrote: »
    That's it. Regardless of whether the people putting out the stream are paid or not it's still a product people have paid for and should get. The "I'm only a volunteer" line that is wheeled out when things go wrong isn't a good enough excuse.

I mean it’s probably a fine response if you’re not expecting the club to receive the money as if the game was watchable. But you can’t have your ‘I’m a volunteer’ rant and still expect to appeal to people’s charitable nature.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Knowing Bradley he'll probably say Derry were lucky to get a point in his post match interview.

He's such a dislikeable character who seems incapable of doing an interview without patronising his opponents.

"We're really disappointed I think we should've won the game quite comfortably if you look at our chances. We had four or five really good chances to win the game. Not difficult chances, really clear cut. Alan (Mannus) hasn't had a save to make in 90 minutes and when you look at that you should win the game quite comfortably.

"Credit to Derry they came, sat deep and worked extremely hard so credit to Derry but the chances we had we should win the game by a couple of goals. Rory's one, Sean's one, the two headers, we should've won it quite comfortably."

Reminded me of a Benny Hill sketch. The one where he sticks the ball under his jersey and starts to run.

Don’t think yesterday’s referee would have stopped him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What does a simple broadband connection have to do with LOITV, budget, volunteers hard work or anything like that? Surely if the broadband was down in Cobh the stream wouldn't have worked at all.... more likely what they had in place wasn't sufficient for the volume of viewers tuned in but they could have at least tweeted a bit of detail so people weren't getting pished off.

Seems it's a 3rd Party who does their streaming too?
    https://twitter.com/relivvit/status/1393839145785696256

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Pretty sure that's the same crowd Rovers got in for that Europa match that went stupidly long on penalties, and that was a disaster too.

Edit: It wasn't, that was InPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Pretty sure that's the same crowd Rovers got in for that Europa match that went stupidly long on penalties, and that was a disaster too.

Edit: It wasn't, that was InPlayer.

inplayer wasn't responsible for that particular mess. They were just the paywall providers. I believe that the streaming guys (who came highly recommended) didn't have a certain bit of equipment to properly utilise the upstream capacity of the broadband connection from the gantry.

As darkglasses mentioned up thread, there is a very steep learning curve for this stuff, a lot of moving parts.

Had this been done a few years ago instead of forbidden in the dark ages of 'tv rights', the learning curve would've been less steep..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Full stadium redevelopment for half the price of phase one of Dalymount and with the same capacity when it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭irishmanmick

dan1895 wrote: »
    Full stadium redevelopment for half the price of phase one of Dalymount and with the same capacity when it's done.

Yes the redevelopment of a stadium in a regional town is comparable to the demolition and re-development of a stadium in the centre of Dublin city. No mention of Sligo here at all, just having a pop at the re-development of Dalymount.

This is great news for Sligo - I'm delighted for them and of all the development plans from every other side in the country I'd have most faith in Rovers delivering this one as they are such a fantastic community club. Will be great for the whole region.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Wait till you hear the price of an apartment in Sligo compared to Dublin! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wait till you hear the price of an apartment in Sligo compared to Dublin! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wait to you see that Dalymount is going to end up looking like a glorified Athlone Town stadium.
    Delighted for Sligo and hope it happens with minimum fuss.

Yes the redevelopment of a stadium in a regional town is comparable to the demolition and re-development of a stadium in the centre of Dublin city. No mention of Sligo here at all, just having a pop at the re-development of Dalymount.

I don't think it's a Sligo v Dublin thing and more a redevelopment done by a private company v a government revelopment. Amazing how things double in price when it's a government redevelopment and the contracts go to the mates of politicians. :rolleyes:

Only on page 32 yet but I really like the masterplan. The back of the new Jinks avenue stand doubling as a stand for the astro pitches is a great idea as the astro isn't an enjoyable place to watch matches in bad weather.

I also love the idea to move the turnstiles well back and knock the walls around the perimiter to open the ground up allowing anyone to walk in all year round. Those two buildings at the front of the ground have so much potential as either club-run businesses or simply rented space generating a rental income all year round for the club.

It's very ambitious talking about doing all of this before the club centenary in 2028. A lot of fundraising and government grants needed plus regular qualification for Europe will be essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

All club rivalries aside, I love to see clubs actually try to develop their facilities, its a boost to the league as a whole IMO and considering so many of us who travel to away games complain about facilities it would be a tad hypocritical to then criticise a club actively looking to upgrade.

Best of luck to Sligo with this, really hope it happens & look forward to attending a game there as an away fan when it has.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Fair play to Sligo , and they are the perfect example when people say the game can’t be grown around the country and loi “ just wouldn’t work “ in places like Clare , Tipperary, Mayo , Kerry .

If you do things right football works everywhere in the world

I don't think it's a Sligo v Dublin thing and more a redevelopment done by a private company v a government revelopment. Amazing how things double in price when it's a government redevelopment and the contracts go to the mates of politicians. :rolleyes:

Only on page 32 yet but I really like the masterplan. The back of the new Jinks avenue stand doubling as a stand for the astro pitches is a great idea as the astro isn't an enjoyable place to watch matches in bad weather.

I also love the idea to move the turnstiles well back and knock the walls around the perimiter to open the ground up allowing anyone to walk in all year round. Those two buildings at the front of the ground have so much potential as either club-run businesses or simply rented space generating a rental income all year round for the club.

It's very ambitious talking about doing all of this before the club centenary in 2028. A lot of fundraising and government grants needed plus regular qualification for Europe will be essential.

My reading is that Sligo's will also be government funded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

When are getting a look at Joe Hodge?

My reading is that Sligo's will also be government funded?

Government grants, yes, but grants are nowhere near as corrupted as the likes of Dalymount or the children's hospital developments which are both government owned and developed.

If Dalymount was owned by Bohs it would probably cost €25m max. Not almost €40m. Keep in mind that ours is projected at €17m but that also includes a €2.3m off-site academy development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When are getting a look at Joe Hodge?

I think he got injured and ended up back in England for treatment.

We won't see him I'd say, it was only a 6 month loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

woops -posted in wrng thread ;-)

Government grants, yes, but grants are nowhere near as corrupted as the likes of Dalymount or the children's hospital developments which are both government owned and developed.

If Dalymount was owned by Bohs it would probably cost €25m max. Not almost €40m. Keep in mind that ours is projected at €17m but that also includes a €2.3m off-site academy development.

Sligo's will be funded by the government, the vultures will already be circling like any government project to get their piece of the pie. It's a nationwide issue, not a Dublin one. Things cost more in Dublin, a whole lot more. I'm sure Sligo have built in palm greasing into their estimate also.

Either way its irrelevant to the Dalymount redevelopment, although fans of a certain First Division team will try drag it into anything.

Two developments of similar size stadiums one costing twice as much to get it to phase one plus the selling off of public land in other communities to fund. It's very fair to compare the two.

Two developments of similar size stadiums one costing twice as much to get it to phase one plus the selling off of public land in other communities to fund. It's very fair to compare the two.

Particularly when the more expensive one is apparently a glorified Athlone Town stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The Rovers plan is very ambitious and you'd have to credit the committee for putting it together. But the track record of projects like Finn Park would leave anyone sceptical.
    Pats, Bray (remember seeing a graphic with a 2 tier stand) and Drogheda have all put out similar to have them quickly buried again.
    It certainly won't be a case from government of here's €17 million away you go.
    What stage is Glanmire at?

Sligo's will be funded by the government, the vultures will already be circling like any government project to get their piece of the pie. It's a nationwide issue, not a Dublin one. Things cost more in Dublin, a whole lot more. I'm sure Sligo have built in palm greasing into their estimate also.

The vultures can circle if they want, but a comprehensive cost breakdown has already been ordered and carried out by a professional firm. The price is the price and it's not going to balloon massively. We can't keep asking the government for more and more money.

That is the difference between a project tabled by a private company to be carried out using government grants and a project ran by the government from the outset. The price is bloated from day one when it comes to the latter because they can get away with it. If they need more after ground is broken they will get it (see the children's hospital or a dozen other developments over the years). This is a thing you'll see in every country on earth of course so we're not unique.
    The Rovers plan is very ambitious and you'd have to credit the committee for putting it together. But the track record of projects like Finn Park would leave anyone sceptical.
    Pats, Bray (remember seeing a graphic with a 2 tier stand) and Drogheda have all put out similar to have them quickly buried again.
    It certainly won't be a case from government of here's €17 million away you go.

All of those other plans were/are for single use football stadiums if I'm not mistaken. You'll have a really hard time getting funding for those in a country as small as ours.

The showgrounds redevelopment will make it multi-use with Sligo/Connacht Rugby on board, which I think will be the key to getting the funding.

• Advertisement

Particularly when the more expensive one is apparently a glorified Athlone Town stadium.

Phase one is an astro pitch and one stand

The showgrounds redevelopment will make it multi-use with Sligo/Connacht Rugby on board, which I think will be the key to getting the funding.

What's the link up with Connaught Rugby out of curiosity?

What's the link up with Connaught Rugby out of curiosity?

The link up is with Sligo Rugby really, but the letter from them at the end of the masterplan is very enthusiastic and talks about hosting provincial games at the showgrounds in the future. Connacht Rugby themselves would be daft not to be on board with it since it gives them a top facility to use in another Connacht county which is desperately needed to grow. They are called Connacht rugby but right now they might as well be Galway rugby.

16eb73e06f41469880e4576239ae2210.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

All of those other plans were/are for single use football stadiums if I'm not mistaken. You'll have a really hard time getting funding for those in a country as small as ours.

Connaught are developing the Sportsground. That's where their focus is and i highly doubt they have any intention of moving any games outside of Galway.

Rovers have a "provisional" agreement with Sligo rugby and its rover that would be "open" to hosting provincial games.

A long way from either of them being "on board".

Rovers are clearly trying to bring the rugby crowd along but justifying a €17 million investment for "multi purpose" will take a much better effort than that.

Connaught are developing the Sportsground. That's where their focus is and i highly doubt they have any intention of moving any games outside of Galway.

Rovers have a "provisional" agreement with Sligo rugby and they'd be "open" to hosting provincial games.

A long way from either of them being "on board".

Connacht rugby can continue developing their ground. Maybe 'on board' was a bit much but simply not being against it would be positive, and I don't see why they would be. As I said it gives them a top facility in another county. If they are serious about growing then they need to grow their brand outside Galway and having a facility in Sligo where underage and provincial games can be played would be great for them. I'm not into rugby myself but of the lads I know who are hardly any of them have any real link or affinity to Connacht as they are Galway's team, not Connacht's. They can change that.

As for Sligo Rugby, I've been hearing about them looking to host big games at the showgrounds for years. Never possible before, but a redevelopment and state of the art pitch makes it possible. They'd love to have access to the showgrounds.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement