Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Can't miss a pen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A tale of 3 penalties.

No surprises there- Hennessy is the penalty king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good to see us get 3pts tonight.

Slow climb up the table now hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ref obviously had money on over 2.5 as both those pens at the end were b*llocks :D

First one on Burt was outside the box and the Pats one looked like your typical desperate injury time dive in the penalty box forcing the ref into a decision.

Pats deserved to win though so it all worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd say he realised he ****ed up the Burt one and was compensating.

Georgie Kelly is not good enough to be the only striker in the squad. Bring back Andre Wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Delighted with that result. We didn't play well but it's the result that matters. With regards the penos I thought our one was a peno, Feely clearly pushed the Pats player, Bohs first I can't judge from the stream and their second was outside the box. Lennon and Desmond were very good for us and Matty Smith took his goal excellently. For Bohs, Devoy looks a serious player and Tierney while he has a few rough edges is a real hard worker and is a real danger with his energy and pressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

lol Bohs might wanna check their wallets :D

Who needs VAR when you have a national treasure in useless referees :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dundalk's keeper is dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Go go go go go go goaalll - love joey Ndo

• Advertisement

Joey Ndo on commentary kept saying Figueira needs 15 minutes to warm up and then the show starts. Then Figueira smashes in a goal after 17 minutes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Kev O'Connors whipping free kicks and horrendous UCD marking just resulted in 2 goals for Shels in 2 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Kev O'Connors whipping free kicks and horrendous UCD marking just resulted in 2 goals for Shels in 2 minutes
    That was the best 45 minutes I've seen Shels play under Morris to be fair.

Dundalk's keeper is dirt.

Hard to judge that squad given the sh*tshow they are off the pitch so they could all be rubbish, but the keepers most definitely are. That's the first position that needs upgrading next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oat23 wrote: »
    Hard to judge that squad given the sh*tshow they are off the pitch so they could all be rubbish, but the keepers most definitely are. That's the first position that needs upgrading next month.

Is Cherrie really worse than Abibi at this point?

pjohnson wrote: »

Considering the goals he let in against Longford a few weeks ago, I would say yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

kksaints wrote: »
    Considering the goals he let in against Longford a few weeks ago, I would say yes.

I guess. But Abibi is just so far away from any kind of standard.

Both dire. Abibi cost 2 points in Tallaght, two more 2 against Harps, possibly 3 in Derry, cherrie cost at 3 at longford and possibly 1 against Sligo.

That’s a lot of points. They're both muck .

I guess. But Abibi is just so far away from any kind of standard.

Yeah, it's a bit of a frying pan/fire scenario. But those Longford goals were so bad.

• Advertisement

Shels beating us well. Good analysis too from the main commentator on loitv, co-comm is a head wrecker though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

When you hit the woodwork three times and the pitch helps the ball onto the crossbar, it's one of those nights. But the squad depth was an issue, no-one really off the bench.

Probably a better performance than several wins.

Shels beating us well. Good analysis too from the main commentator on loitv, co-comm is a head wrecker though
    Which one were you considering to be main and co-comm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Dane Massey.

Drogheda legend!!

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Dane Massey.

Drogheda legend!!

Filippo knew SFÁ about loi football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

CSF wrote: »
    One of the better 45 minutes I've seen which needs to be expected standard. Incredible to think Brennan and Byrne were deemed not up to a starting XI spot a few games ago, those two like in 2019 are the core backbone of this team and the improvement in past 3 games with them have proven that

12 of our 18 goals this season from corners/free kicks/penalties and our strikers not scoring not sure how sustainable that is but we're where we need to be after the first series of games

Someone actually sent him Dundalk merchandise for this. Good stuff though :pac:

He says Shams like a proper Sligo man.

https://twitter.com/irishify_/status/1395844200931995656

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

draw fair in TC. we were strangely better against 11 than 10. Really poor 2nd half , Galway werent upto much at all until the red , really rallied after it. They were causing all sorts of problems with their long throws but thats mostly all the got joy from all night, JC ball in full flow. Less said about Cork the better.

Fair assessment. We were very solid second half, ye never troubled us until we decided to leave the goalscorer completely unmarked on the edge of the box. A loss would have been awful harsh on us. We had a few decent chances after ht and McNulty did well a cupla times.

Ref had a nightmare too. Lost control of the game and was handing out cards like confetti for nothing. The red card was puzzling as nobody seems to have seen anything bar the fourth official who was 70 odd yards away through a crowd of players.

the ref was a joke ruined the game. a wonder goal was all we were gonna score then we gift a goal to ye leaving 2 players free in the 6 yard box with 1 minute left. criminal stuff. dont know what to make of galway really, expected a lot more from them after the clamour over pre season. We are hopeless, few new bodies in midfield badly needed.

Ya most of us are puzzled at why we haven't got going. JC doesn't seem to know his best 11 or best formation yet. Possible there might be one too many voices on the training pitch one suspects.

• Advertisement

Ref seemed to be busy

10 yellows, 1 red at the Cross

Watch Cherie here @4.00

Incredibly Manus was in goal for Rovers (11 years ago)

https://youtu.be/N92B1QfPAUw

We rode our luck tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Does anybody know why Bastien Hery doesn’t seem to be getting a look in at Bohs? Thought he was supposed to be the marquee signing. Has he been injured or has he had a falling out with Long? Seems odd

Does anybody know why Bastien Hery doesn’t seem to be getting a look in at Bohs? Thought he was supposed to be the marquee signing. Has he been injured or has he had a falling out with Long? Seems odd

He had an ankle injury earlier in the season so that might be a contributing factor.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Ref seemed to be busy

10 yellows, 1 red at the Cross

Yep, as I said above he lost it. Sent off our lad after two players ran into the net together and fell. He made his decision after consulting with the 4th official, truly bizarre decision having seen multiple replays of it. Four or five of the cards were for 'backchat', the Cork lads commentating were laughing about it after each one as there was so little reason for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

dfx- wrote: »
    When you hit the woodwork three times and the pitch helps the ball onto the crossbar, it's one of those nights. But the squad depth was an issue, no-one really off the bench.

Probably a better performance than several wins.

Sligo v Rovers Monday will be a good game. Sligo should be dangerous on the counter attack. Shamrock Rovers have not really been convincing this season especially at the back. That was a Dundalk side with alot of injuries last night and no manager.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Sligo v Rovers Monday will be a good game. Sligo should be dangerous on the counter attack. Shamrock Rovers have not really been convincing this season especially at the back. That was a Dundalk side with alot of injuries last night and no manager.

Shams were robbed last night to be fair to them. The Oriel pitch should be banned from football it's that bad. Any other surface in the world and Greene chips Abibi to give them the lead right after HT and who knows if Dundalk would have come back from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

We all know of his fondness for cigars alri.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Shams were robbed last night to be fair to them. The Oriel pitch should be banned from football it's that bad. Any other surface in the world and Greene chips Abibi to give them the lead right after HT and who knows if Dundalk would have come back from that.

Swings and roundabouts. They could just as easily have lost most of the games they won so far this year. Their points tally does not reflect their performances.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Swings and roundabouts. They could just as easily have lost most of the games they won so far this year. Their points tally does not reflect their performances.

Not sure how their performances in other games is relevant? I'm talking about the sh*t pitch. I'm not worried about the points they've robbed in other matches.

The Oriel pitch affects everyone and should be banned from use in a top tier league. We're not in America or the Faroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Not sure how their performances in other games is relevant? I'm talking about the sh*t pitch. I'm not worried about the points they've robbed in other matches.

The Oriel pitch affects everyone and should be banned from use in a top tier league. We're not in America or the Faroes.

I did say performances in general throughout the season not last night. It does matter as getting last minute winners and giving away lots of chances is not sustainable if they want to avoid dropping points.

Good for the league tho if theirs a good title race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pitch is a disgrace but often it's better than the quality of some of the grass pitches at times. Surely if you're banning that pitch there needs to be a minimum standard of grass pitch also regardless of weather conditions

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Injured/not fit.

..... their We're not in America or the Faroes.

Or Scotland
    Or Northern Ireland

I would prefer a hybrid pitch (aviva) like the proposed one in Dalymount but they're not perfect either (Leeds)
    I know we're all laughing at the amount of yellow cards but don't they incur a fine? (which clubs could do without)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pity there's no commentary on Bohemians' women's livestream today. Quite a leap forward from no commentary up to the level they talked about in their press release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Which one were you considering to be main and co-comm?

Steven is main comm while Darren Cleary is co-commenter.

By far! We're finally hitting 5th gear imo, still concerning at the silly goals we're conceding unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

https://twitter.com/noriordan/status/1396805701171875840

Danny Mandriou called into senior Ireland squad. Didn't see that coming. He's started well enough for Rovers but didn't think call up level. I'd have thought Burke might have been ahead of him for this

Great to see Jamie McGrath getting a call up as well. Well deserved after the season he's just had

Little confused by Mandroiu but fair play. If I was picking an attacking option from the league it would have to be Forrester for me. Best player I've seen in the league so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Little confused by Mandroiu but fair play. If I was picking an attacking option from the league it would have to be Forrester for me. Best player I've seen in the league so far this season.

Agreed, Forrester has been great this year. The fact Mandriou plays a little higher up the pitch probably worked in his favour there. God knows we need someone who can score goals.

Forrester probably just needs to do it for a little more sustained of a spell to put himself in contention. He is a lovely player, but he has obviously had some issues that had him not playing at his best for quite some time.

If Forrester is still playing as he is at season end, he has to be in contention.

Forrester probably just needs to do it for a little more sustained of a spell to put himself in contention. He is a lovely player, but he has obviously had some issues that had him not playing at his best for quite some time.

If Forrester is still playing as he is at season end, he has to be in contention.

You can say similar stuff about Mandroiu to be fair. Lovely player with off the field issues (although different to Forrester's obviously). He was rotten for Bohs last season and alienated himself from the entire club with the way he was acting.

He has the benefit of knowing Kenny from the U21s I suppose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement