Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Danny's dad is Romanian so technically he can still play for them also, so may be trying to prevent the loss before/if he gets on track again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Has Georgie Kelly ever scored a brace before?

Dundalk are so bad. When are they hiring a coach? They are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

sidcon wrote: »
    Danny's dad is Romanian so technically he can still play for them also, so may be trying to prevent the loss before/if he gets on track again.

By putting him in a training squad for 2 friendlies that even if he played 90 mins in both he'd still be eligible for Romania

There's more likely a political element to it. The new national assembly that replaced the old Delaney love in is made up of 3 parts and one of those represents the professional game.
    That assembly will elect the FAI board members from now on, keeping one third on side is good business.
    Would expect a LOI player being brought along to these training camps to become a fairly regular thing from now on.
    Also, could be we are absolute muck these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Kelly and Benson seem to score against Dundalk every time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Could also be that Kenny has worked with him before in the 21s and rates him....

Hopefully that set's Georgie off on a run of scoring, God knows we need it.

Could also be that Kenny has worked with him before in the 21s and rates him....

Hopefully that set's Georgie off on a run of scoring, God knows we need it.

Georgie will score every week if the keeper gifts him 5 yards to tap it into at the near post :pac:

bEs9pLd.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What a player he is, I've always said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Dundalk's demise is as hilarious as it is spectacular most up there thought they were untouchable couldn't say anything about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I like to think of myself as an optimistic man but even I could not see a Georgie Kelly hat trick happening.

Hilarious watching Dundalk get space jammed also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Dundalk's demise is as hilarious as it is spectacular most up there thought they were untouchable couldn't say anything about them

Eh what?

Kenny in

Georgie 6
    Massey 4
    Benson 2

Says it all

Derry needed a manager....... Derry appointed a manager

Waterford needed a manager....Waterford appointed a manager

Dundalk needed a manager..... Dundalk still need a manager

No centre half....no centre forward

Pure muck

Anyone else notice Jaros completely forgetting he can't handle the ball outside the box?

Ref and linesman obviously don't spot it because they're LOI refs.

giphy.gif

joeysoap wrote: »
    Georgie 6
    Massey 4
    Benson 2

Says it all

Derry needed a manager....... Derry appointed a manager

Waterford needed a manager....Waterford appointed a manager

Dundalk needed a manager..... Dundalk still need a manager

No centre half....no centre forward

Pure muck

It takes time to make a completely mental appointment. If McGuinness doesn't accept maybe we could get a college basketball coach from Ohio or an Albanian waterpolo coach or... Steve Staunton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Oat23 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice Jaros completely forgetting he can't handle the ball outside the box?

Ref and linesman obviously don't spot it because they're LOI refs.

giphy.gif

I did but I thought it was an offside or something like that and he was rolling it out for a free. Refs were bad, their first should have been disallowed for a foul on Jaros (hard to punch the ball when your arm is held) and missed a fairly clear handball by Lewis outside the box in the first half which should have been a Derry
    free.
    Slightly disappointed not to get the win but when you defend set pieces as poorly as we did at times, you make it very hard to win matches. Ben McCormack's assist for our equaliser was fantastic, he's definitely one to watch.

What the hell happened in Dalymount?:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/sean_tougher/status/1396883945627820038?s=21

Derry's first goal. I counted two fairly clear fouls on the keeper there. One holding of the arm by Akintunde and Boyce jumps into him with his arm into the face of Jaros in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It takes time to make a completely mental appointment. If McGuinness doesn't accept maybe we could get a college basketball coach from Ohio or an Albanian waterpolo coach or... Steve Staunton?

Ted Lasso!

Pity we couldn't hold on for our 1st home win tonight, but a draw sounded like a fair result.
    And would have taken a point before the game.

What a performance in Tallaght. Bolger & Buckley were immense all night.

Top of the league :cool:

Sligo are top after that result. 5 points separating the top four. Interesting stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

of all the players Rovers have out, the one they missed the most was Bolger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

dfx- wrote: »
    of all the players Rovers have out, the one they missed the most was Bolger.

Watts is a huge loss. Hoare’s stupid cards against Derry have cost us dearly, especially with all the injuries in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

How has Jaros been doing in goal this season for Pats?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Watts is a huge loss. Hoare’s stupid cards against Derry have cost us dearly, especially with all the injuries in the squad.

Watts is the other huge loss driving forward and for set pieces, but there were just some very poor performances - Scales in particular. Murphy went backwards with every touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

dfx- wrote: »
    Watts is the other huge loss driving forward and for set pieces, but there were just some very poor performances - Scales in particular. Murphy went backwards with every touch.

As defending champions we look pretty low on confidence. Murphy not ready to step up yet, but is going to be a good player I reckon. Hoare should be back against Longford and Scales can go back out left. Sean Kavanagh will make a difference when he gets back as well.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    How has Jaros been doing in goal this season for Pats?

Fairly good. Decent shot stopper and good with the ball at his feet. Occasionally shaky on crosses, Made a howler against Drogheda where he dropped a simple pass which lead to a goal, did same tonight but it went out for a corner.

Hennessy must have a side bet on the. number of penalties he gives. Over 20 should give him good odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Perth and Kenny in very deep conversation in Tallaght tonight. Gary Rogers there too, wonder if they are getting the old gang back together

Bolgers a super player, the kind you hate when he's playing against you but love to have in your team. A box to box midfielder that gets in a refs face and turns a 50/50 decision his way and talks young players through games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭crossman47

Great to see Sligo going well. A well run club and Buckley has always been a decent manager.

Bolgers a super player, the kind you hate when he's playing against you but love to have in your team. A box to box midfielder that gets in a refs face and turns a 50/50 decision his way and talks young players through games.

You'd hate to have him living in your gaff as well.

• Advertisement

I'll share mine as long as he leads us to a title.

He can stay at my house as well if he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I’d have thought itd be difficult for him in a dressing room now. Surely the other lads look badly on that if true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know we ain't going to win the league this season, so I'll be cheering on Sligo from here on!

* except when playing Derry of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Hi lads, just posting here about my League of Ireland Option File I made a few months back for PES 2021 on PlayStation. Well, I’d some time off work recently so I’ve got around to updating it and I’m hoping to have it finished some time this week. It’ll come with updates kits, squads, transfers etc. For the 2021 season.

Not sure if much people here downloaded or used it but if you did and there’s any changes or improvements you’d like made just let me and I can see if I can get it sorted. I’ve also made a couple of pages just to post updates and previews if anyone would like to check them out.

http://www.Instagram.com/loipes_
    http://www.Twitter.com/loipes_

Cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Shamrock Rovers have been pretty poor from the standard they set last season. Very even game last night. If Bohemians had a bit more luck with their results they could have been in with a great chance of the title this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Really thought last night was going to be one of those nights, poor defending gave Waterford their first and after 10mins was all harps. Boyd missed two great chances, not sure how Boyle missed the header and Tunde did well to make a few chances. Few lads could do with the break for us though.

Shame there's no fans at the weekend, would have been a huge crowd v sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

6 and a half minutes of highlights from Shels v UCD. All action from the first 12 minutes of the match and none of the goals shown. Wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not strictly LOI but saw today that UEFA have confirmed prize money for the new Conference League, a team will be guaranteed €3m for reaching the group stages, which is only slightly less than the europa league. I was sceptical when the competition was announced but reaching the group stages would be a huge financial boost for any Irish club.

Not strictly LOI but saw today that UEFA have confirmed prize money for the new Conference League, a team will be guaranteed €3m for reaching the group stages, which is only slightly less than the europa league. I was sceptical when the competition was announced but reaching the group stages would be a huge financial boost for any Irish club.

Still can't find info on how much progressing through qualifying rounds will earn teams? We were told €200k per round at our AGM a few months ago but I don't know if that was official or an educated guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Oat23 wrote: »
    Still can't find info on how much progressing through qualifying rounds will earn teams? We were told €200k per round at our AGM a few months ago but I don't know if that was official or an educated guess.

Last year, the money for a point in the EL group stages was almost the same as winning an EL qualifying round, circa 220k. Equivalent in the group stages of the EC is 166k, so it *might* be that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭srfc d16

Is there an advantage for the champions?
    I was under the impression that if the lose their champions league qualifier they drop in to Europa qualifier rounds, lose that and they drop in to conference qualifier.
    Could be wrong about that but it should give an extra chance for champions to reach the group stage

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Is there an advantage for the champions?
    I was under the impression that if the lose their champions league qualifier they drop in to Europa qualifier rounds, lose that and they drop in to conference qualifier.
    Could be wrong about that but it should give an extra chance for champions to reach the group stage

Shams would have to get through a round in the Champions League for that to happen.
    Lose in the 1st qualifying round and they go into the 2nd qualifying round of the Conference League.

It has the potential to give more games but its debatable if that increases the chances. LOI sides will still be meeting the same kind of opposition in the Conference league qualifiers that was routinely knocking them out in the old Europa league format.

Last year, the money for a point in the EL group stages was almost the same as winning an EL qualifying round, circa 220k. Equivalent in the group stages of the EC is 166k, so it *might* be that.

I came across this on twitter last night. The guy who tweeted it works for the Polish FA I think.

https://twitter.com/LukasWachowski/status/1395666454666690569

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

wadacrack wrote: »
    Lost Prendergast, O'Farrell and Sean Brennan. O'Reilly was sub alot for Harps. Deegan relegated with Shelbourne. Massey didnt play at Dundalk. They have improved Drogheda but not by much.
    Anyone heard any news about how Deegan and Massey are doing at Drogheda? There's barely been a mention of them anywhere. Looks like Wadacrack was spot-on with this. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Anyone heard any news about how Deegan and Massey are doing at Drogheda? There's barely been a mention of them anywhere. Looks like Wadacrack was spot-on with this. :D

Early days yet. We’d have been saying the same about Deegan at this stage of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

CSF wrote: »
    Early days yet. We’d have been saying the same about Deegan at this stage of the season.

Supposedly he's changed his tune this year... probably realised his antics at Shels would get around the league fairly swiftly and he'd be clueless if he didn't cop on.

CSF wrote: »

We're a third of the way through the season - Drogheda have played 13 games - that's only 5 games less than Shels 18 game season last year. Drogheda have 22 points already - the jury's in - given the budget they're working on, their recruitment in the winter was first class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

We're a third of the way through the season - Drogheda have played 13 games - that's only 5 games less than Shels 18 game season last year. Drogheda have 22 points already - the jury's in - given the budget they're working on, their recruitment in the winter was first class.
    Their recruitment overall has been better than Shels last season and they look to have a better progressive manager but it doesn't change that Deegan after a great start declined for Shels as the season went on and O'Reilly and McCabe cost us too many goals

Reading that Perth might end up back at Dundalk. Didn't he say in an interview right after Filippo was sacked that he'd be open to a return? Six weeks later they still have nobody in charge. What a shambles if they end up with Perth, and a bit embarrassing for the man himself, no? Clearly not their first, second, third, fourth or fifth choice or he'd have been hired a month ago.

Starting to think Magilton doesn't have a clue.

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Their recruitment overall has been better than Shels last season and they look to have a better progressive manager but it doesn't change that Deegan after a great start declined for Shels as the season went on and O'Reilly and McCabe cost us too many goals

Only 2 teams have better defensive records than Drogheda. Their number 1 CB and their defensive midfielder must be doing ok.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement