Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Oat23 wrote: »
    Harps could've had a penalty there in injury time. Ball seemed to come off Hoare's hand.

Never mind the pen... The ball was dropped right on boyd head Infront of goal...
    He looks much better than his last stint with us, but isn't taking his chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Drogs excellent tonight. We can't deal with the press and they are well worth their inevitable win. Losing Romeo & Buckley creates two huge holes in the team and we'll need to add another body or two next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good win for us, probably should have won by more, Longford are game but lacking in quality a bit. Coughlan's header was excellent, super cross also by Burns. Thought Lewis was a little unlucky with the penalty, he had a good game aside from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

kksaints wrote: »
    Good win for us, probably should have won by more, Longford are game but lacking in quality a bit. Coughlan's header was excellent, super cross also by Burns. Thought Lewis was a little unlucky with the penalty, he had a good game aside from that.

Is Burns doing well for you lads in general yeah?

CSF wrote: »
    Is Burns doing well for you lads in general yeah?

For a young player in his first full season he's been great. Has been out injured the last while but on the pitch he has performed. Very versatile aswell, he's played wing back and winger on both flanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

kksaints wrote: »
    For a young player in his first full season he's been great. Has been out injured the last while but on the pitch he has performed. Very versatile aswell, he's played wing back and winger on both flanks.

Coached him when he was younger, great young lad. Me being happy to see a Pats player do well is an entirely new phenomenon that I do not wish to repeat.

CSF wrote: »
    Coached him when he was younger, great young lad. Me being happy to see a Pats player do well is an entirely new phenomenon that I do not wish to repeat.

Join Us!! :D:D:D:D

If he keeps up his progression with us, he could easily be across the water in a few years time. Then you can claim all the credit for teaching him everything he knows about football!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Its looking like Chris Shields has agreed personal terms with Linfield. Shambles of a season continues

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Hoban heading there too by all accounts

Ex Dundalk players with other other clubs

Ronan Finn - Shamrock Rovers
    Sean Hoare - Shamrock Rovers
    Sean Gannon - Shamrock Rovers
    Stevie McDonnell - St Pats
    John Mountney - St Pats
    Robbie Benson - St Pats
    Georgie Kelly -Bohs
    Dane Massey - Drogheda
    David Odumsu - Drogheda
    Ronan Murray - Drogheda
    Jamie McGrath - St Mirren
    Dylan Connolly- St Mirren
    Daryl Horgan - Wycombe
    Jordan Flores- Hull
    Ruaidhri Higgins - Derry City
    Steve. Colcovic - some club in Belgrade ( qualified for Europa conference)
    Christian Adorjan - only on loan
    Mario Tajumbani- NFK Norway
    Seannie Maguire- Preston

I know they are ex somewhere else to (Rovers, Pats Galway etc)and the list is not full.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Euro draws are tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Its looking like Chris Shields has agreed personal terms with Linfield. Shambles of a season continues

I’m shocked he’s leaving

Did he have a fall out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I’m shocked he’s leaving

Did he have a fall out?

Presumably he and a few others (Hoban supposed to be going there too) are jumping before they are pushed.
    Linfield have also been handing out long-term fulltime contracts for the last while which is much more attractive than the 1 year stuff Dundalk have been doing.
    Peak are trimming the wage bill now and getting rid of the rest at the end of the year when they'll most likely bail out themselves.
    Their new play thing is the Monaco Women's team.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Shields leaving really is a barometer of how bad things have gotten.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I’m shocked he’s leaving

Did he have a fall out?

Is he based up that neck of the woods or have I picked that up wrong?

If he is located up there the move makes a lot of sense. 10 years is a phenomenal amount of time to be involved with any club these days, particularly a LOI club.

hardybuck wrote: »

If he is located up there the move makes a lot of sense. 10 years is a phenomenal amount of time to be involved with any club these days, particularly a LOI club.

He’s from Dundalk.

• Advertisement

He’s from Dundalk.

Shields is a Dub? He lives in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Shields definitely moved somewhere North of the border so no chance if he was leaving Dundalk the would sign again for most LOI clubs. He may be past his peak but it's crazy for Dundalk to let go his leadership, sinking ship that club well on the way resuming their battles with Cork in the near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Shields definitely moved somewhere North of the border so no chance if he was leaving Dundalk the would sign again for most LOI clubs. He may be past his peak but it's crazy for Dundalk to let go his leadership, sinking ship that club well on the way resuming their battles with Cork in the near future

If the new Waterford owner invests a bit next month then things could get interesting but it'd be a huge shock.

Next season is a different story entirely. Dundalk could win the league or finish bottom depending on how things go over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If the new Waterford owner invests a bit next month then things could get interesting but it'd be a huge shock.

Next season is a different story entirely. Dundalk could win the league or finish bottom depending on how things go over the winter.

Investment from the new owner has been promised, and experienced pros have been mentioned as the team is full of kids at the moment.

It's such a mad league and another mad season, so Waterford could finish mid table or they might finish bottom depending on signings and how many loanees they lose at the end of June.

• Advertisement

Dundalk paired with the following teams for tomorrow's draw:

FC Honka (Finland), Newtown AFC (Wales), Mosta (Malta), Racing Union Luxembourg, FC Struga (North Macedonia)

If we weren't in such a mess I'd be confident with any of these

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

TNS (fùck)
    Stjarnan (Iceland)
    Gzira United (Malta)
    Europa FC (Gibraltar)

Four potentials for Bohs tomorrow. I'd fancy against everyone bar the Icelandic maybe though thats winnable as well. Can't complain.

Sligo have a decent pairing as well. Coincidently two former opponents of Dundalk:

Ki Klasvik (Faroes), Bala Town (Wales), FH (Iceland), SLask Wroclaw (Poland)

If they can avoid the Polish side I'd fancy their chances against the rest

I think TNS (shudder) is best for us as we'd carry their seeding into the next round if we beat them.

Without Shields Dúndalk are sitting ducks.

I think TNS (shudder) is best for us as we'd carry their seeding into the next round if we beat them.

Correct. For Sligo it would be KI who we would have to beat to be seeded in Q2, but I don't know what to think of that. They smashed Tbilisi 6-1 last year before Dundalk beat them at the Aviva in the playoff.

The Polish side and FH are also dodgy draws so maybe a trip to Wales might be the best one to hope for! It's cheap to get to and a win would guarantee us €550k prize money.

Rovers paired with:

Legia Warsaw, Malmo, Slovan Bratislava or Lincoln Red Imps

Obvious which one them they'll prefer :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

hardybuck wrote: »

Lives in Bangor afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Dundalk paired with the following teams for tomorrow's draw:

FC Honka (Finland), Newtown AFC (Wales), Mosta (Malta), Racing Union Luxembourg, FC Struga (North Macedonia)

If we weren't in such a mess I'd be confident with any of these

Finnish sides are best avoided, they are a minefield.

• Advertisement

It's back and Forth between Perth and Rogers for the Dundalk job tonight :D

No magilton? He’s a spoofer anyway.

It's not a good sign if your sporting director is being overruled by the owner when it comes to something as important as this.

If Perth returns and it is true about Magilton not wanting him, and he felt strongly about that, he'd probably walk away if there wasn't so much money on the line (4 year deal). He's being totally undermined by a guy who doesn't know anything about the sport.

Sounds messy whatever is going on. Peak6 v Magilton.
    "Former Shelbourne defender Dave Rogers had been Magilton's pick to come in, initially as his assistant, but had looked set for the top job earlier on Monday after a meeting with club staff.
    However, it appears that has been overruled Stateside by the club's American owners PEAK6 with Perth set to be re-instated soon."

Wtf is going on at Dundalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rovers away first leg to Slovan Bratislava.

One of the worst draws possible from the choices for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Warsaw, Malmo wouldve been as bad.......

The Slovan team that beat Dundalk are very beatable. Score was not reflective of the match In Tallaght. Dundalk could just as easily won that match. But you
    A) can’t turn off for a second in Europe
    B) miss a penalty

Both of which Dundalk did,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Last years team would have been in with a shout, this years less so IMO. Think it'll be the conference league for us after this tie.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

damemcd wrote: »
    Warsaw, Malmo wouldve been as bad.......

Bodo would have been difficult too. Any team that finishes ahead of Rosenberg or Molde has to be respected. They are currently league leaders as well.

Bohs and Sligo both going to Iceland.

Bohs and Sligo both going to Iceland.

Sligo Rovers v FH
    Bohs v Stjarnan
    Dundalk v Newtown

Both of us to Iceland and Dundalk to Wales.

Best draw we could have hoped for. Easy enough to travel to

All 3 are winnable. Iceland’s teams notperforming at present, Newtown won the relegation group. But Dundalk are woeful too.

If Rovers are beaten by Slovan they got a bye to the 3rd round

Not the worst draws for the 4 teams although Shams will more than likely be knocked out. Slovan aren't Legia or Malmo good but they'd be a good step up on the LOI. Both the Iceland teams look to be doing average enough this season so far and if Dundalk weren't the mess they currently are I'd be very confident of them progressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Happy enough with FH. They've a few Iceland internationals and Gunnar Nielsen in goals and Steven Lennon are familiar names.
    If we have Bolger, Buckley and Romeo on the pitch in Iceland we'll be a match for them.
    Good to be back in Europe. Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers away first leg to Slovan Bratislava.

One of the worst draws possible from the choices for me.

Terrible draw - like Odds BK and Mlada Boleslav, for which Burke's goal aside, you'd forget the four games ever happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Happy enough with FH. They've a few Iceland internationals and Gunnar Nielsen in goals and Steven Lennon are familiar names.
    If we have Bolger, Buckley and Romeo on the pitch in Iceland we'll be a match for them.
    Good to be back in Europe. Looking forward to it.

I know Buckley wont underestimated them but they were a tricky enough side that 2016 Dundalk only beat on away goals. Im sure the team has changed since but Sligo will still have to be quick out of the traps not to be sucker punched.

Wtf is going on at Dundalk?

This post on orielweb fairly sums up the mess we're in

http://www.orielweb.com/dundalktalk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10487

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

This post on orielweb fairly sums up the mess we're in

http://www.orielweb.com/dundalktalk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10487

Link not working?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement