Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Rovers look like they'll be facing Andorran champs next round. Andorran side winning 2 nil away against Albanian champs

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'll take a damb squib 0-0 next week please.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lively start to Dundalk game

Entertaining game, both sides are poor in defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

How much are Dundalk meant to be paying Zahibo again? Levaida are finding so easy to play through Dundalk's midfield.

• Advertisement

Going by Daniel McDonnell's twitter right now he's the most expensive player in loi history. Also rumoured to have had a mental signing on fee.

We look much better now since Sloggett came on for him

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Just can't get my head around this. Absolutely breaking the bank for a defensive mid when they were well stocked there before he came.

If as a club you've decided to say fook it we fancy a flutter surely a decent goal scorer from somewhere in Europe/America would be the go to option.

200k a year + signing on fee would have got the attention of a few decent strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

It's good to see some talk of this happening now - it's badly needed for Dundalk.

However, how can the Irish taxpayer be talking of funding two stadiums in Dundalk? Surely any public funds made available to the GAA stadium should include making it available not just to GAA but all other sports in the region. 14,000 seater stadium up the road would work well as a Cat 3 stadium at least.

How many games is the GAA stadium going to host? Out early doors in the championship every year, and not a whole lot of interest in the Alliance league.

Anyway, it's another 'stadium plan' for the league. That's Bohs (& Shels Club), Sligo, Finn Harps, Pat's, Shels Fans & Drogs with plans for new stadia now. Probably missing a few. Would love to see funding and work done for one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Couldn't agree more, it would be lunacy to build two separate stadiums in such close proximity. Build one multi purpose stadium and allow both Dundalk and Louth GAA to use it. GAA would be busiest from January through to June probably, Dundalk busiest from March to November, so you'd imagine it has the potential to work.

You mean it's possible to redevelop Oriel with the emergency access issues, without obstructing the view from the main stand, after the school bought the land beside it, whatever other daft excuse the Dundalk fans have been peddling on here and social media........?

Any club trying to improve their ground is a welcome development but I cant help but thinking it's 5 years too late.

5 years ago they'd have been in a position to divert serious Euro funds into a kitty that the government would have hopefully matched or bettered in grants.

They'd also have been in ahead of the county team or at least been viable competition for funding. There's absolutely no chance of a county side ground sharing with a LOI side. There can be all the whinging about that but it ain't happening. Also football on a GAA pitch is akin to it on a pitch with a race track around it so a poor experience.

Also the make-up of that group is very light on club reps, has the look of a group organising themselves before the owners walk which might be the real story in this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

I'm sure the gaa would not like to share with Dundalk or anyone, but on the size issue. The largest soccer pitch and the smallest gaa pitch don't have much between them. Now I'm sure there would be an argument that a county team couldn't use such a small pitch for their games 🙄

As perfect a performance as you can get from us. So comfortable that we were able to take off Jaros and bring our youth keeper on for his debut. Very comfortably thorough to the next round. Keep an eye for our 5th goal, a screamer from Paddy Barrett.

Good to see that result for Wexford FC , that win has been coming for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Craziest game of the season easily goes to Athlone v Waterford. Waterford manage to win it on penalties but I can't wait to see the highlights from that.

Hopefully the FAI youtube page uploads cup highlights.

Mental match in Athlone. Waterford 2-0 after 70 minutes then Athlone score three times to take the lead. Injury time equaliser for Waterford in normal time. Both managers sent to the stands. Goal in injury time for Waterford in extra time and then Athlone equalize directly from kickoff from their own half. Waterford go through in the shootout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

A busy weekend of FAI cup action and there are three posts by two users on it here. I think this forum is on life support and the plug is about to be pulled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The forum "upgrade" is a complete disaster.

The boards upgrade had been a disaster for the soccer forum. It's harder to find, seems slower to the rest of the site and doesn't look as user friendly. I know it's something of a lull period after the Euros but posting numbers must be way down from before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

instead of it being in your boards group you have to search for it....unless I'm missing something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I totally agree not a fan of it at all. The way the site was previously was fine the new version is dreadful. On the football front that was one heck of a surprise to see Sligo get bounced by Cork City this weekend considering the season each team has been having. Otherwise the cup went pretty much as you would expect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I wouldn't have seen Shels losing although not a huge amount between the 2 teams

It was another pathetic display at the Showgrounds. We have never shown any sort of consistency under Buckley since he arrived. On our day we can beat anyone as we've shown this season against Shams and Bohs for example, but then we follow those performances up with awful losses like against Drogs, FH and now Cork. We had the same problem last season with a crap start, then the COVID break came and we started strong after it but then throughout September the performances were shocking. We managed to recover in time and scrape a few results to sneak into Europe.

Overall Buckley has done a fantastic job since taking over but I'm beginning to question if we'll ever find the consistency needed to take the next step under him. Nobody expects us to win every week, but it is getting very hard to watch us smash a decent side one week and follow it up with a display that is so bad the lack of effort shown and coaching decisions made actually anger you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The new site is dreadful alright. I can't find any of my forums, which makes it even more annoying that the search is still ****ing useless. And the load times are awful

On topic: Strong performance against Cabinteely in the cup last week. Sort of a pity that we have Galway up next, they're in such good form.

its been an absolutely desperate fortnight or so with the European and Cup results. FH had a reasonable pedigree even though they were no great shakes. Cork on the other hand is absolutely inexcusable. They're a shambles and are now the 2nd best team in Cork!

At the start of the season I'd hoped we'd get Europe again and we'd maybe have a cup run. The latter is gone and the former is hanging on by a thread with Bohs return to form and with Perth in charge at Dundalk they're in with a chance of 4th.

I like Buckley and I think he's the first proper manager we've had since Cooke/Baraclough but at the end of this season if we don't have European football then questions should absolutely be asked. One game in Europe, one game in the Cup and outside the top 4 in the league would be a poor season. I know we've a decent advantage over both of them but there's plenty of games left that we need to see an improvement in form to be sure of a top 4 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

a very interesting draw for the second round of the FAI cup

Waterford v Kilnamanagh AFC

Dundalk v St Mochta’s

Finn Harps v Derry City

Maynooth University Town v Cobh Ramblers

Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers

Cork City v St Patrick’s Athletic

UCD v Longford Town

Killester Donnycarney v Wexford

pick of the ties are tHarps v Derry and obviously Bohs v Rovers, who will have faced each other the previous week in the league.

Can Cork pull off another unlikely win? A couple of the non-league sides might fancy progressing too.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bastien Hery gone to Derry on loan. Hard to know what happened really, barely got a chance to play.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Looks like an excellent draw for Wexford, Killester have lost both of their opening games in the LSL and our last year's sub keeper is starting there. Anybody know the story with prizemoney in this year's iteration?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The first round didn't have a sponsor, but extra.ie have reappeared as the cup sponsor from the second round onwards. I think it was about 25k for the winner under their previous sponsorship

• Advertisement

We've got two attackers on loan for the rest of the season. Nehum Melvin Lambert who was with us until June has rejoined us from Reading and Kyrian Nwoko from Valletta who has 21 international caps with Malta.

Last year they split all of the prize money equally between the quarter finalists (so you got nothing extra for going further, and a much higher share than normal for making the last 8). I suspect it's not the case this year, but haven't seen any new breakdown of the money

Dundalk losing 1 nil. Targeted down our Right Side again

Won 2-1 at the death. McMillan with his 14th European goal, now level with Roy Keane and 1 behind Robbie Keane, Patching with his 9th of the season. Vitesse away next week

Some pass by McElaney to set up the winner. Tough draw next week.

Hopefully Bohs get past Dudelange. Will probably be the first time 3 LOI sides are in a 3rd round qualifier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Here at the game.

Don't want to jinx it but we are playing really well, should win this one from here.

Half way there now and a 2-0 lead overall great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

What a performance tonight, yes sir, I can boogie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Who do bohs play next ?

PAOK of Greece. Tough fixtures for ourselves and Bohs next week

• Advertisement

Paok.

That was a fantastic result for Bohs. Was wondering a small bit when Dudelange were in control of the ball after half time but they didn't create any clear chances and once Bohs scored their second they weren't conceding three and their third was the icing on the cake.

Excellent night for the LOI with two wins and three teams through to the next round of the Conference League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'll be honest, this is the best bohs team I've seen in at least a decade. Such a confident, assured team on the ball. Just great to watch.

Whatever happens against PAOK, a lot to take pride in.

Fair play to Bohs/Dundalk. Great results and European showing this year whatever happens in the next round.

Shame the forum is almost a ghost town due to the upgrades but what can you do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hook it to my veins please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well done Bohs and Dundalk. Tough draws for both now but hopefully they can pull off a surprise or two. Rovers should hopefully get through their tie also. Would be great for the league.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It felt like normal life again this evening.

The PAOK game will be in Lansdowne as well, 8k again.

They really have played some nice on the eye football at times this season once they got over that bad start. Long may it continue.

Unless you're suspended or an injury such as a broken leg or shoulder you won't be listed as absent or doubtful on our team previews.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement