Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would ignore it. It is the same type of comments we had when Luxembourg did Ireland. Just supporters expressing sour grapes over a match they feel they should have won easily. It is the equivalent of Bohs getting beaten by a LSL team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Ignore it, means nothing.when Dundalk drew Zenit they put up a dancing leprechaun on their website. Took it down after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Waterford a completely different team in recent weeks, but Bohs didn't make life easy for themselves by making 6 changes today.

These wildfires in Greece look pretty terrifying.

If Bohs' game isn't in jeopardy they'll be facing into some pretty horrendous playing conditions - they're experiencing their worst heatwave in 30 years.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The wildfires are South of Greece, game is up north. No risk if the game being in danger as far as I know.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Looks like there's some minor fires in that region, but fires are spreading across the country so hopefully it's not a problem y by the time Thursday arrives.

Temperatures of over 47 degrees in recent days underlines how much of a challenge they face over there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Longford aren't getting a look in against Shams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Another late show from rovers - plenty this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Mark of champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Our first win in Oriel since 2012, great win scoreline is a little flattering but we took our chances when we got them. Ben McCormack had a super game in midfield and is another youngster to keep an eye on in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Just checking out the goals from the pats game. what was leahy at for the second one, awful attempt of a clearance, you wouldn't see it in pub football.

Abibi with a rugby tackle to give away the peno. He played well in Europe during the week but I would have thought they would have brought in a new keeper in the last couple of months. He isn't the long term answer, the worst thing about him is he is really bad at catching a high ball, not commanding enough to say the least, he is the one who is 6'5 and the one who can use his hands, why is he so afraid to come and catch a high ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ah I think Abibi was hard done by. The pitch is in an awful state. The ball bounced away from him at a weird angle. He did actually get a touch on the ball too.

He has actually been playing very well since VP came in and he made some great saves in Holland to keep us in the tie. Maybe he isn't the long term answer but let's see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't understand Longford's approach on Sunday - it was a carbon copy of the two previous games. Long ball to Dobbs who is exhausted after an hour and retreat to hold on when he's taken off. A 0-0 draw was of no value to them with Waterford and Harps winning, but they seemed determined to get it,

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Agreed that Abibi was rash in the manner in which he came out for the ball but I do think he got there before Smith - took a couple of replays to show me that though so can't blame the referee in any way for awarding the penalty.

maybe im being harsh on him and the pitch is to blame. any word on them doing anything with the pitch?

Not that I have heard of. I thought Sunday was the worst it ever played. Some very obvious weird bounces.

its bad form that they cant even keep the pitch in good order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sorry lads, probably a stupid question but I'm fairly out of the loop. What's the story with getting away tickets for matches these days? Is it buy through home club and there'll be a section for away or buy through away club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Most clubs can’t even accommodate home fans with the reduced attendances still.

• Advertisement

So it’s Flora vs Rovers should Rovers get through. Flora are 9 points behind Leviidia ( 3 games in hand - fairly level until European champs league came along) and Rovers are better than Dundalk (in every way). And Dundalk beat Levidia. Like Dundalk last year Rovers will never have a better chance. That win in Tiraspol is looking very good now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Depends on the club. I know Wexford made tickets available for our away game down there recently. Cork had fans up at our home game last week. Im led to believe there were issues with Shels fans buying Athlone tickets for their game, don't know exact details. We haven't made 'home' tickets available to them. I believe they'll be made available as away tickets or already have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Flora have been in Europe pretty much every year and must have a lot of experience now...they were 0-2 down to the "stronger league" Omonoia and were only beaten on penalties..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

No issues in Athlone for Shels, majority of the 200 fans in the ground were Shels fans.

I think the issue might have been that, majority of tickets were bought by Shels fans and none left for Athlone? It's what someone on our forum keeps saying/alluding to, I've no idea bar that.

Were tickets not allocated to season ticket holders and members first? How did Shels fans get their hands on them?

Well they went on sale in Athlone stadium twice before going online so that is fluff :)

Doubt they have many STs to be honest... they mad tickets available a couple days before the game online for all fans after having ticket sales in the ground on two occasions.

Sounds fair enough to me.

Edit: the following is the reply on our forum in regards to the comment made about trouble at the Athlone game involving Shels fans. Not my words, just passing it on.

"Over 150 shels “fans” turned up after buying tickets on line . As per usual they invaded the pitch after every goal hit a few locals on their way back and then 3 of them were ejected from the ground. Shels have a large number of casuals who are more interested in causing trouble rather than watching the match."

Post edited by ben.schlomo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

What's the story with streams for tomorrow night? Looks like only Dundalk game on LOI TV

Edit: I checked Facebook

Shamrock Rovers link https://page.inplayer.com/teuta-vs-shamrock/

Bohs link: https://bohemianfc.com/?page_id=15648

Rovers twitter never responded to me asking if the match was going to have English commentary or just be the Albanian feed, so it's probably just in Albanian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Be great craic if the Shams stream dies again and this time they try to blame the Albanian mafia for the attack.

The Dundalk stream was awful last week. It was blurry and gave me a migraine.

Going to the game tomorrow though. First game back. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

1500 for dundalk afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

See they've told they are only letting Greek passport holders into the ground tomorrow night, for safety reasons I believe.

The 1500 sold out. , there was only about 200 left before the first game and the sold out pretty shortly after.

I was worried after the first 20 min that I wasted my money getting a ticket for tonight ha.

https://twitter.com/ShamrockRovers/status/1425743867119296512?s=20

Rovers match stream will have English commentary by the SRFC TV crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

It seems it could be anywhere between 35-40 degrees in Greece/Albania today... not going to be easy for either Rovers or Bohs in those conditions.

I also read there that Norwich have signed one of PAOK's best players (last seasons top scorer) so that wont hurt their chances.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Dundalk played Larnaca in 38% temperature. We were wallloped.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yeah, the lad Norwich signed came off the bench last week. Didn't make much impact, but probably better him gone than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The heat is something that I think isn't nearly mentioned enough. Playing in upwards of 35 degrees would be seriously draining on players who are not used to those temperatures, hopefully it doesn't impact them too badly.

Big night ahead for our clubs, you'd expect Rovers to go through although I doubt it will be an easy game. Bohs and Dundalk are up against it and I'd be very surprised if either were to progress - but it would be an amazing achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good luck to the sides but have to say with those sorts of temperatures it's very difficult on players to cope for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I find walking around in 35 degrees pretty draining so I can't even imagine trying to play such an important game in it.

A bad goal to concede but I'd be very surprised if there isn't quite a few more lapses of concentration.

2-0 now, looks to be done. Basing that off nothing more than in game stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Should be 3-0, that was over the line.

I expect Rovers to progress too but not ( unfortunately) Dundalk or Bohs. As I said earlier Dundalk couldn’t deal with the heat. It was an early kick off to make it worse and the Larnaca side was laced with Spanish players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We did ok for a spell and created a couple of good chances. The water break seemed to do more harm than good we fell asleep.

Missing Ciaran Kelly big time here.

One of the questions in the quiz in tonight’s (excellent - again)

From which club club did Dundalk sign Keith Long ? (No, I didn’t know it)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement