Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Towell should be booked at this stage. His attitude looks off at times. Didn't look a red card as Gannon was back to cover but that was waiting to happen to Lopes at some stage during the season. He relys on his recovery pace too often and you'll always get stung in some match when you've let the forward pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Is there a competent referee in the LOI ( I won’t say ‘good referee - I know there are none)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Wasn't a red for me, an Doyle is Rovers man. Good crowd in Dalymount watching on the big screen.

Nope unfortunately not. This ref was getting serious praise on the league of ireland fans fb group a few weeks ago. I always found him to be shocking

That is another yellow that Cotter escapes somehow again. Maybe even a red

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Now that was a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Absolute shocker from the keeper, but I don't care.

Come on Rovers!

Rovers the far better team this half. Deserved goal albeit from a goalkeeping error.

Did Rovers make six subs or am I miscounted? McCann, Ferruguia, Greene, Emakho, Kavanagh and now Burke.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Rovers made 6 subs, over 4 breaks by my count

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Maximum of 5 isn't it and none of them was a concussion sub?

How much is Towell on? He was so so bad. Bar the goal which was obviously a fluke.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

O'Neill had a concussion apparently, dont remember any mention of it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Did he not go off with a groin injury? Either way it's the FAI so nothing will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

OK game, Bohs the better side in the first half but Rovers deserved the draw in the end and could have won it with some of their chances. Agree that Towell was very poor in spite of the goal, apart from his initial few performances he hasn't been good at all. Cotter looks like a good signing, a bit raw but he will be a very useful player. Feel bad for Kavanagh coming off 30 seconds after coming on, hopefully it's precautionary more than anything.

Even as a Rovers fan I've to say the decision to not allow any Bohs fans somewhat took away from the spectacle. Maybe a justified decision in the end but for the biggest game in the country and live on RTÉ it felt like we weren't treated to the full spectacle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He was injured a few minutes before heading a kickout away and got caught on the back of his head. Clear to see he was dazed as he walked off. In fairness McCann was excellent, easily his best game for Rovers. Rovers' changes work well, Farrugia, Greene and Emakhu took the game to a tiring Bohs defence. They had the same impact late on in Inchicore.

No away fans worked well I thought. There wasn't any of the pathetic watching and goading each other from afar for 90 minutes that goes on in either ground, no trouble outside the grounds. Given the acrimony between the players, the fallout from the cup game at board level...the fixture needs to be taken off the boil for a while, it's not Boca v River Plate in some copa 90 fantasyland.

What is the fall out from the cup game at board level?

The manager falsely claiming a St. John's Ambulance man spat on him, a former chairman claiming Rovers players can't park at the entrance the Rovers fans use for their own safety or any other of the bizarre claims made at that members meeting?

He was holding his head but i'm not sure if that was with the disappointment of going off injured or a head injury. edit to add I see dfx has covered it. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rovers in the second half did not look like they were a man down.

Put the pressure on Bohs, and got the deserved equaliser.

So close to a winner at the end too.

Just two more wins needed, assuming Pats keep winning.

I'm going to the match on the 29th, so hopefully that's the night they win the league.

• Advertisement

so Peak6 say they are not going anywhere. A lot of Dundalk fans (most ? ) will be disappointed with that news. of course it could be all smoke. They bought into Wolves too (apparently)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How was the Waterford handball not a penalty?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dublin derby final. Should be a good crowd at Lansdowne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Good to see two different teams in the final. Only Dundalk, Cork and Shamrock Rovers have been in the final since 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bohs deserved their win tonight. They should really be higher up the league with the players they have at their disposal.

Proper cup tie tonight, great to see a decent atmosphere back for these kind of games.

Fantastic night in Richmond Park! Super atmosphere and a great game. Burns is such a quality player. The sky's the limit for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Who’s this guy? I know his face.

It’s clicked, Evan comerford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Disappointed Waterford lost out but Bohs better team

Disgreful carry on at the end of the game with a few bohs fans coming around to the away end and attacking some Waterford fans

Or; it’s the first final since 2015 dundalk haven’t been in. Not altogether unexpected. Dundalk ( 12 times winners) have never retained the cup. ☹️

I'd personally be very emotional myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Joeysoap...what do you think about Vinny Perth? He was out on the pitch with the fans after the match and they were giving him all their support. I fail to see why...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If the Italian was still in charge we would be relegated already like Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

Was Vinny maybe saying goodbye?? Lapping up the athmosphere one last time?? Certainly odd after the defeat, added to that his comment to RTE that Peak6 were not at fault, everyone seems to have made mistakes except them in Vinnys eyes.

Where do Dundalk go now that Europe is all but gone next season? Do you expect Peak6 to stick around and give it another go, or will they sell and cut their losses? Potential buyers will want deep pockets if the €2-4 million pricetag is true. Add to that the cost of putting a team together to try and get back to Europe ... we all know that is where the moeny really is.

• Advertisement

The secret seems to be- sign players on loan and see if they’re any good. Vinny can’t blamed for signing Abiibi, Mitskogen , Han, Zahibo or Nattstead. But he was around when they signed Ben Amar and Yates (two ‘underwhelming ‘ players).as for letting Duffy, McEleney and Chris Shields go........

But who else is out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bohs are a great club, but if they're going to keep patting themselves on the back for being an amazing and welcoming fan owned club they really should also condemn the behaviour of some of their fans last night.

Ben Amar has been ok at times. Certainly not the worst of the Dundalk signings. I feel like Dundalk ended up with the dud of the managers that were on the coaching staff. SOD and Higgins.

Perth is obviously saying it wasn't peak6's fault because he wants to remain sweet with them. He couldn't get any job other than in newstalk. I don't see what Dundalk are doing tactically at the moment? Also if Dundalk are losing he will throw on a random attacker. If Dundalk are winning with ten or fifteen min left, he will keep taking attackers off and putting on defenders.

I just don't get how the fans want peak6 out but then want to keep Vinny who has shown very little apart from cozying up to Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We have no right being 3rd. Harps would have won comfortably if it wasn't for the sending off I feel.

And they've equalised with the last kick of the match. Can't say they don't deserve it.

As a Waterford fan, Sligo ffs ye had one thing

Finn Harps have some balls tbf and never give up no matter what

Nervy few weeks ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I'd agree I think 11v11 and we'd have won that. Didn't get a proper look at the sending off but there wasn't much descent at the time. Feel like we gifted ye two goals too, never mind the missed peno, but McGinley had a few saves to make.

Ye had a fantastic first third to the season, if it was just slightly less you'd be in the relegation scrap imo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A bad defeat for us today in Drogheda, but we didn't deserve anything from the game.

Really makes our game at home to Bohs on Friday night a must win, especially if they win tomorrow.

From a Waterford point of view bad outcome today and you'll be hoping we do the business against Bohs tomorrow

We have a lot of suspensions and the heads will be down after Friday night but hopefully the lads will be fueled up and we beat Bohs tomorrow

Vinny to take Shelbourne job? ( that’s the runour)

Well Morris is gone from Shels anyway. Slightly surprised at that after how easy they got promoted.

They are gonna find the going tough in the premier next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them straight back down again. I wonder was Morris thinking the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Shels have to avoid another relegation which was a dreadful setback for the club and the new owners, if they thought Morris was a safe bet for us avoiding relegation he wouldn't have departed today

Morris is a great guy who's football is not a great watch but effective for getting out of the horrible First Division, he gets a pay off with a year left on his contract knowing he will get another role so it's not too bad for him and then Shels will likely now hire a high profile manager like Perth if rumours are to believed to try push the club to mid-table

Out of interest how much would Morris be on? Would it be enough to ignore offers in non football roles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fantastic result for Waterford tonight (as a Derry fan).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement