Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk are still the only club finished with away matches.(and have been since the st pats match on 25th October.) Well run league indeed.

Sorry , my mistake, should have included the drogheda away match. Didn’t have to leave Louth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gutted at Gilchrist, he was quality for us this season. Word is that his missus is Cork based hence the move, surprised he wouldn't have been re-signed otherwise!

That 3rd Tier idea dead already.... Rovers B incoming!

Embarrassing from Galway really, investing in a full time team they obviously expected to be getting up either by winning the First Div or going up via the playoff. Wonder if themselves and Cork City stay full time next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya we absolutely will be full time. Our chairman said during the week that we were ahead of where they'd thought they'd be at this stage in JCs first full season. I wouldn't say it was embarrassing but definitely a poor season all things considered. Embarrassing would be a lower finish and missing the playoffs.

Cork signing Gilchrist & Kevin O'Connor along with Doona is a decent statement of intent early on anyway Johan Slow Vision!

Company cars? He has a car supplied by one of our sponsors, Monaghan's. I'd imagine that's the same set up at most clubs. Don't think any of the other staff have been given cars. Fallon and Herrick are the only two coaches who came in under him, and I'm fairly sure Herrick was already at the club in an underage coaching role. GK coach, strength and conditioning and Fortune were already at the club.

We obviously spent more than others and were full time but some of the additional things people add without knowing are a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rumours of Bray takeover this morning, only for even more out of the blue Bray/Cabinteely double takeover/merger rumours.

Given Bray's catchment area, and Wicklow being traditionally shite at GAA sports, they should be a much bigger club than they are.

Cabinteely have a great catchment area, but are very much in rubgyville, so would be harder for them to attract fans. Anyone know what kind of crowds Cabinteely were getting pre-pandemic, and since restrictions were loosened, and then removed?

• Advertisement

Hard to fathom. It will be either Bray OR Cabinteely. Neither will take their support with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Don't think it's got anything to do with Cabinteely not wanting LOI football. One poster on foot.ie says Tony Richardson who became their chairman this year bought a 75% share in the club with the remaining shares belonging to the junior side. Pat Devlin whose their director of football owns a minority share in Bray.

Does that mean we are back in the playoffs then 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Braybinteely is utterly bizarre to me. Cabinteely dropping out of the league had seemed on the cards alright, but I don't understand who would want this merger on either side.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40739433.html

Bray keep the Senior team while getting Cabinteely's big youth setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If that was the case then I think it makes sense. You'd keep the history and fan base of Bray Wanderers but also get the youth set up that Cabinteely have. They've great training facilities out there. Have never been to Stradbrook so I've no idea what kind of support they drew. Bray have the potential to be a bigger club than they are - big catchment area, only club in Wicklow, not too far from Dublin to attract players, a decent ground and very accessible for away fans. Always enjoyed any matches I've gone to in the Carlisle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Mergers between smaller clubs like this is pretty much the done thing in Europe and probably should go on a bit more here.

Cabinteely have no long-term future in the league, thats been clear since they joined. Being absorbed into Brays set up and maybe being allowed to keep their underage teams in the national leagues would be a decent outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

You'd imagine this is the only way it could work. You always got the impression that the reason Cabo have a LOI side is to allow them a side in the LOI national underage leagues. A combination along the lines of Bohs/SKB would seem to make a lot of sense there. Especially as other posters have mentioned, Bray have the potential to be a much bigger club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

What's the ownership situation with Bray? St. Joseph's Boys chairman Niall O'Driscoll bailed Bray out in 2018 and has been their main backer since. I take it he is pulling the plug hence the separation from St. Joseph's?

In the end this could look like Cabinteely bailing out Bray and Cabinteely get a stronger merged first team and a decent ground in return

I don't see Bray becoming a bigger club. Cabinteely have an ok schoolboy setup but nowhere near the level of Kevins and Cabinteely bring hardly any new fans, also still a bit of distance between both areas, Bray have maximised their fanbase from the locality I know people out there say there is just too many Dubs who have moved into the town who don't have any connection with the club

From the outside looking in that's what it feels like. Richardson and Devlin are gonna need to throw cash at this new entity to convince Bray fans to stick around as Cabinteely barely have any. The junior sides there never really took an interest to the senior side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I thought he was doing a great job at full back. Was sorry to hear he might be leaving. Hopefully we hold onto Ledwidge who I feel is better though.

Fair enough on the first point but in no way has Bray "maximised their fanbase from the locality". They`re sitting in a catchment area of about twice the size of Sligo but yet the best they can do is a few hundred and First Division football.

They`ve done nothing to try and tap into the likes of Greystone, Arklow or Wicklow town. Brays a commuter town alright but you can`t just blame their poor support purely on too many Dubs living in the area.

The merger doesn`t look like a bad idea IF it comes with a plan to tap into South Dublin/Wicklow.

Bray and Cabinteely are only treading water. Even if Bray got promoted this year a very best case scenario is a few years dodging relegation playing in front of a few hundred people.

Dan McDonnell saying if it happens they`d play 2 seasons as Cabo/Bray then as East Coast FC.

O'Connor's brilliant set pieces were killing teams especially in the first half of the season they'll be some loss and a big gain for Cork

Between just Bray, Shankill, and Greystones is 60,000 people.

They should be able to completely sell out the Carlisle every home league match.

Some teams get set up and play in the arse end of nowhere, and obviously end up with no fans, but Bray couldn't be positioned any better. Right next to the train station, and a few minutes walk away from about a dozen pubs on the seafront.

It has to be mismanagement, and a complete failure to actually promote themselves that has them where they are.

Based on following the LOI for over 20 years, seeing no growth in their attendances and a rise in population coming in from Dublin I think it's a reasonable conclusion that they have maximised their fanbase at this stage unless they get serious investment to upgrade the ground and invest in the first team to compete at the top of the Premier Division. You can't realistically compare them to Sligo who are only club in the county with a bigger tribal population reach whereas Bray are now competing with Shamrock Rovers for LOI support in that area

Rovers apparently interested in our excellent young prospect Alex Murphy. Hopefully we hang onto him, he's been excellent in the few games he's played and has gotten a Ireland u21 call up also. As composed a footballer as I've ever seen in the flesh.

Rovers also trying to tie up Whelan and Kerrigan from UCD. They want 25000 for Kavanagh to let him go. Bohs in for Dummigan from Dundalk. All from the Sun so could be bollox.

I don't buy that.

If they advertise themselves, and entice families, and kids, they'll get a larger fanbase, even if people aren't originally from that area. Once kids get an attachment to a team, that'll be a lifelong one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Bray has a much bigger catchment area than just Wicklow. They also have quite a bit of South Dublin including Shankill, Ballybrack, Killiney and Dalkey. I'm originally from Dalkey and I was a season ticket holder for a few years along with a good few mates, all from Dalkey area. There is huge potential to get more people to go to the games if they promote them more as it's so easy to get to the ground. It's 15 minutes on the Dart from Dalkey to the Carlisle.

I'm not happy about this proposed merger at all. I'm really not sure what Cabo are bringing to the table.

There is a big void at Dundalk, so all their players are up for grabs ( bar 3) Cameron Dummigan is a super player. Surprised if they didn’t have competition, especially from NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would be disappointed if Kavanagh was let go by Rovers. He looked a great talent when he first broke through at Rovers. Obviously a lot of competition in midfield but if he is not deemed good enough to make it I wouldn't hold out hope for many of the other academy graduates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Unfortunately I think the further you get out from Dublin the more a GAA mentality and culture creeps in . I think this is the kind of think that stops people maybe from Arklow and Wicklow town supporting a team called Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

But no problem supporting Man UTD or Barcelona

Correct sadly , but they aren’t playing Barcelona in the county final every year ☺️

It`s probably part of the reason alright but Bray have so much going for them with playing out of the Carlisle they should be doing better. A rebrand, which is essentially what this would be for Bray, mightn`t be a terrible idea if it expanded the fanbase a bit. Big if with that one of course and it would take more than a name change for it to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I doubt Dubs moving in would inhibit them supporting the local club. It is all about how they promote themselves and what they offer to potential fans.

LOI isn't really family friendly as a rule unfortunately. The late evening kick offs are not suitable for younger kids under 10 or so. It is hard to find live football that can accommodate the younger ones (mine are 5 & 7) other that FAI cup final and the odd time that a league game would be on in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

hearing Keith Long is on the way out of Bohs, cup final win or not. That's the FAI Cup final, not the one this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Couldn't disagree more on the timing of matches not being family friendly. Friday evenings are a great time for families - it's the one time of the week nothing else is on. I bring 3 of my kids over to Dalymount each game, they love it. Slightly older now than yours, ages 8,9,10 now but have been bringing them for last 3 seasons (bar Covid). Kids love being allowed stay up 'late' to go to matches on Friday nights. Sat afternoon games would be a no go for us, we're always doing something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Tallaght is full of kids on Friday evenings, much to the annoyance of some older fans 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just because they are there doesn't mean it is family friendly. A 9:30 finish getting home at 10:30 or later for a small child is not child friendly no matter what way you look at it.

Tallaght (tbf) is a better stadium to bring kids to than my normal haunts of Dalymount and Tolka. We were at the Ireland U21 match there a few weeks ago and the loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Have to cater for the majority of your regular supporters, not to time your matches that suits under 7 bedtimes. Saturday or Sunday afternoons wouldn't suit a lot of adults and also you'd be up against other sports.

The point is that Bray are getting FA attendances so need to think of some way to increase them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Interesting timing on the rumour. I wonder is it from an anonymous source who will only go by the initials SB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Annoyed that boards have ruined the site and made it so hard to go back and laugh at all the Peak6 posts over the past 2 years. There's some brilliant stuff that has aged like milk.

"Peak6 are set to leave a figure of around €250,000 in the bank and a key aspect of talks was the extent to which they were willing to tie up some loose ends."

What a disaster it has been. Millions wasted, most of it the club's and not theirs.

Former owner Andy Connolly back involved. Gonna be tough going second time around as Kenny was the main reason for their success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

What was that poster again? Irishmale or something like that? I remember him saying that Peak6 were going to bring a new order to the LOI and were going to completely revolutionize the league. That has aged well alright.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hate to say I told you so etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Minutes silence for the lads that spent the last few years telling us that Mike Tracey was the messiah

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement