Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Brabinteely feels like the only appropriate solution here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

What's Tony Richardson's connection to Cabinteely though as he's only gotten involved this season, because to me it sounds like he only got involved to eventually do something like this. Wouldn't be surprised if he had something to do with East Coast FC that were looking to form and saw this as a better option. Didn't they also want to use the Carlisle Grounds?

Edit: Seems he's been involved with Cabinteely's junior side for years. Still would say he's got some connection with the new club and it's why he took majority ownership of Cabinteely in the summer and now Bray.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Cup Final ticket sales have surpassed the Aviva record. Big day Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The name should be something that represents both clubs.

They'll be playing in Bray, so that part should stay the same

Cabinteely are leaving their home turf for this great new adventure, "wandering" if you will. Also as it's Cabinteely essentially taking over Bray we can keep the "FC" part of their name as well.

So "Bray Wanderers FC" seems appropriate; has a nice ring to it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Also, "New Force in LOI football" - this is a joke right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Cabaret?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

"The timeline, as it stands, is the team being titled Bray/Cabinteely in 2022, Cabinteely/Bray in 2023 with a new brand encompassing the south Dublin/Wicklow region for 2024."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40739433.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Should just leave it at cabinteely/ bray wanderers or something onto that .

would be a pity to lose such a traditional club name as bray wanderers from the league , anything like east coast fc or the like is just pure tacky effort . If they market it right thered be plenty of interest regardless

Dont see a major problem with a double barrel name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Paid to watch the Waterford match and for some reason it won't play. I click into it and the screen is black. Anyone else having issues?

Had that too throughout the season. Player didn't load, but refreshing fixed it for me again tonight.

Try a different browser, incognito mode or disable AdBlock if you have it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tuned into RTE 2 hoping this would be on but bloody egg chasing on it, is it on somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I can't see Waterford winning this. UCD well on top

Waterford could get a red card soon aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That looked like it could have been a pen to ucd, no replay of course. Keeper took him out I think. Whelan looks a cut above anyone else on the pitch.

Fair play to UCD. Worked hard all game and deserved the win.

Waterford brought a load of fans with them tonight so in that regard they're a loss to the league, but the club itself has been a joke with Power's carry on over the past few years especially with the court case against Harps last year. The new owner also looks like he's a header so the PD might be better off without them.

Whelan looks brilliant. Probably a good chance UCD will hold onto him for another year now with PD football while he finishes his degree.

Fully deserved by UCD, played all the football. Waterford turn up and play a centre half up front and just lump the ball forward all night, really strange tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I feel sorry for Waterford fans, they have been through a lot.

But as a Drogheda supporter, I feel that we have a better chance of staying up next season with UCD in the PD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

No question Shels, Drogheda, Harps fans will be happy to see UCD come up with Waterford going down. UCD will be better than Longford but they are already weaker than their 2019 team that finished bottom of the premier and it's sure fire they will lose Whelan and Kerrigan in the summer at the latest

First Division is going to be brutal for Waterford to come straight back up with Galway/Cork both full-time and you would expect Longford/Treaty/Bray-Cabinteely to be in contention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Well done UCD

But it’s a sad reflection on the game that there is no premier league club in the south of the country next season

Some brilliant work being done around the country but a lot needs to be done in Munster in particular

2 Dublin clubs promoted, 2 regional clubs relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Reflection of p1ss poor management at club level for Cork, Limerick and Waterford.

When the likes of Harps can be a stable PD club with nearly everything against them then a 2 or 3 stable PD clubs in the south is very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

normally if you draw a line from Dublin to Galway everything is below it. It’s the opposite with next year’s premier division

3 North West, 2 Louth, 5 Dublin and that’s it.Sorry to see Waterford go, the Waterford team of the 60’s and early 70’s were the first ‘superteam’ I saw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Not looking at next season, just delighted with tonight. Apart from the first 10 minutes, we absolutely dominated the game. It was one of the most comfortable 1 goal wins I've seen. I know Waterford had an awful week but I expected some sort of reaction and some sort of urgency with 5 or 10 minutes left. But they just didn't seem bothered. And they just couldn't handle the likes of Whelan and Kerrigan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Waterford were an embarrassment tonight and deserved to go down. No interest in playing ball; just kicking and fouling and hoofing.

It's a shame cos they have potential as a club and the Premier really boosted their crowds, which is good. But as a club, they seem to be a shambles.

But not our problem. I can't see how we'll stay up next season, but this evening's been one of those nights you really appreciate following the LoI. Good craic at the game; pints with the players after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A very difficult division to get out of now. It would be very risky for Waterford to increase the budget going for broke seeing as Galway/the Comers could match it and then fall in the Play offs. But this is the LOI so thats exactly what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Fair play to UCD, hopefully the promotion helps to ensure that lads like Whelan can stay and continue his development.

Salt in the wound is that he was an underage player with Waterford, but I think he's going places beyond LOI for sure so good luck to him.

This piece by David Sneyd ahead of the cup final is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On a non-football related topic, anyone else really concerned about how 2022 is going to pan out wrt covid?

Got an email from Derry about renewing my 2020 season ticket, which cost me and 2 young fellas £350, for which we got 2 home games before Covid closed everything down.

Id love to renew them again, but the smoke signals this last week don't look good. I think there are more restrictions coming very soon, and these could easily move into lockdowns.

Normally would be buzzing about the start of next season, especially with our new signings etc, but end Feb is so close I don't think it's going to be unaffected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Rovers have sold 1000 tickets so far

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Looks like sales broke the 40k barrier. Few spares floating about but should be a great crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Fantastic crowd figure. Hopefully the games will live up to it. Nervous and excited. If we play to our best we will win I think. Come on the Saints !

Violence between fans down in Ringsend before the game. Presuming it was Bohs supporters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

**** RTE Player.

Thought it had improved recently, but it's driving me towards an illegal stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Cup final. 90th minute. In his own box, what a tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Great crowd and atmosphere but it's been a disappointing game.

Both teams looking to take the extra touch far too often in and around the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Extra time has been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Happy for Stephen O'Donnell, even happier to see Bohs lose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fairly brutal game.

Very good ET

Fantastic crowd.

Well done Pats.

Overall you'd have to say it's a disappointing season for Bohs now that they've lost that. No Europe next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Probably delighted they've cut their carbon footprint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Great crowd and atmosphere by the looks of it, but agree match was very poor although extra time was a bit more open. Think Pats just about deserved it. Abankwah looked very comfortable when he came on.

Shame what happened with the Bohs fans before the game. Wonder what next season will look like for them? No Europe now and likely a good chunk of players will be leaving (rumours that Kelly, Coote, Burt, Buckley are all going - Tierney already going to Motherwell). Keith Long has done a brilliant job rebuilding their squad year after year but next season will surely be his biggest challenge.

It's a shame that the video on social media going around is of scumbags causing trouble is what most people seem to be taking away from today.

It's a Dublin problem sadly, not a Bohs or LOI issue and it's getting worse year on year.

One thing I did notice, after the penos, Stephen O'Donnell went straight to the Bohs players to commiserate them, he didn't have to but he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah seen the videos, like everyone I suppose. Poor scenes and will give the LoI a bad name.

But I guess scum will be scum.

I read that tent that was attacked was a family friendly one? If true, it makes it more shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It absolutely is a Bohs problem. It's been going on years FFS.

Head in the sand stuff thinking it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Great year for St Pat's and O'Donnell has acquitted himself well. Big improvement on last year, they look like a very steady outfit.

Bohs are almost the opposite. Lot's of ups and downs over the season, must be a bit of a rollercoaster for the fans. Personally I think Long has to be doing better with the quality he has as his disposal, didn't help that he couldn't get involved today either.

Finally, more disgraceful scenes in Ringsend today. Hopefully the video footage will get a few lads locked up because they deserve it. This type of stuff really tarnishes the reputation of the league, the clubs and their supporters need to start asking themselves hard questions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement