Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You won't like to here that they were locals then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

They waited for the FAI Cup Final to stage a mini riot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Came in on the DART from Raheny at 2:40 and the train was jammers with Bohs fans with each station along the route picking up more and more. Didn't think there were that many in existence. Stadium was class although the atmosphere at the Pat's end seemed to be a bit better or maybe they just had better songs to sing.

Match was ultimately a disappointment and second final in a row for me going to penalties. Picked up in extra time and Bohs should have won it in the end with Pat's giving a goal line clearance to save the day.

Well done Saints unlucky Bohs.

My 5 year old despite wanting Bohs to win for the whole game changed her mind to Pat's after the penalty shootout so she at least is happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As long as its carbon neutral rioting thats grand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Possibly? It's becoming increasingly clear it was people from the local area but that doesn't fit it to the #blamebohs agenda.

Great to see 40k LOI fans from both sides of the Liffey have a great time today.

I'm sure every LOI fan had those videos forwarded to them by every person who's never been to a match in there lives, Pats and Bohs alike. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

You must be trolling? A group of locals just decided to attack a pub full of Pats fans while singing "BSC BSC" ? Any reason why locals might have done this ?

Actually maybe it was Concerned parents against drugs coming to give " The Junkies" a hiding .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The guy on the left here is the guy from one of the videos. I don't know where the narrative is that locals or Rovers fans got involved is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Ramasun

Do the people who fight and brawl at LoI games like British soccer fans follow the national team?

I've never seen anything like that with fans supporting the Irish team.

• Advertisement

Please explain how it's becoming increasingly clear that it's locals and not Bohs fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The funny thing is that as someone who was at the stadium yesterday, I didn't see one bit of trouble at all there.

However let's not bury our heads in the sand here, if those lads were Bohs, the club really needs to come out and do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Great to have so many there. Its a pity it didn't live up to the occasion. Poor 90 minutes. Extra time was better and we where unlucky not to win it. Hate to lose on penalties, but the better team on the day won. I thought it was a poor showing from our fans. We didn't really create any kind of atmosphere unlike the Pat's fans. They sang for most of the game we barley could get a chant going.

As for the 'fans' in irishtown. If they are identified and are associated with the club either as members, season thicket holders or just fans. They need to be banned. Thus needs to be enforced by the club and if possible by the law. They should be banned from all stadiums in Ireland. I've been on the receiving end of this kind of crap from rovers fans and its just not on. Clubs for to long have put their head in the sand when it comes to thus stuff. It's been going on for years at a few clubs with little or nothing being done by the clubs. We all know which club have these elements attached to them. Don't go blaming young lads who 'should know better ' when we know some of these are in there 30's or 40's and have been doing this for a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why would there be a 'blame Bohs agenda"? I haven't seen the clip but the club need to own this one if any of them have a connection to the club and take public action. You see Rovers down playing bad behaviour but Bohs should be above that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

What a day! We controlled most of that match but the second half of injury time was dodgy and Jaros had to make two fantastic saves to hold on. Didn't think the match was as poor as people have been making out except for the first half. Forrester's goal was a touch of magic. Atmosphere was electric down at our end, didn't hear anything from the Bohs fans.

On the trouble in Irishtown, Bohs need to do something about that bunch of "Casuals" that they have. They've been there for years and always make away trips to Dalymount cautious. Presume there the same lot that attacked the Waterford fans after the Semifinal and have been involved in other numerous well recorded incidents with Rovers own bunch of scum.

Still, history books will say 2021 FAI Cup winners: Saint Patrick Athletic. And that's what matters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

R̶e̶f̶u̶g̶e̶e̶s̶ Hooligans welcome.

I'm sure Bohs will disown and issue lifetime bans against these people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

"You see Rovers down playing bad behaviour.....".Sure why not drag out the old reliable. I think it was really one bunch of Rovers fans fighting another...

In addition to attacking Waterford fans I think they were fighting each other that night too.

It was fantastic to see a big crowd and so much promotion of the game, but this type of behaviour really damages the LOI product. How can you grow the game and encourage families and casual sports fans to start attending games when you have to dodge fireworks and flying glass bottles? Much less hassle to head to the RDS or Croker instead.

I don't think this is a problem unique to Bohs, but they and other clubs need to seize the nettle now and put an end to this sort of behaviour. There is a minority element there for sure, but they can cause enough damage to ruin the experience for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

It’s a real shame that the pre match shenanigans are threatening to overshadow what was a great occasion. As someone else said, not a hint of trouble inside or outside the stadium and the atmosphere was terrific. We were the better side and deserved it I thought, albeit that Bohs finished stronger after equalising and we were blessed not to concede a second really. Two tremendous saves from Jaros. Penalties was nerve wracking as always and when Forrestor missed I thought we were done for, which would have been cruel after his superb goal.

Like KKsaints I didn’t think it was as poor a game as some are making out (but then we would say that, wouldn’t we 😀). No classic for sure, but then most Cup Finals aren’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

You very rarely see it at LOI games in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Very true, I've been following the league since 2008. I can remember very few incidents with fans fighting and most of them were around 2010 for some reason.

• Advertisement

It is just the one I have in my head from recent memory tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Glad Pats won, poor enough football played though, a lot of hoofing and panicking on the ball, them lads are well able to play better football. The kick off should have been earlier, like around 1 maybe, its the 28th of November in Ireland, if kick off is at 4pm then its going to be freezing at the end of the match, why not make things more comfortable for the fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Supposedly they ran out of beer in the Aviva lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

These guys are not just scum when they goto football matches. There are a whole section of society that are semi feral. It is a national problem and not something LOI can solve other than by trying to keep them out of stadiums. When you are talking about clubs that are largely volunteer run how do you do this?

Football is the sport of choice for these guys unfortunately as they copy similar scum in other countries.

I mean, yeah, but I obviously wasn’t suggesting that Bohs are the only section of society that have ever committed acts of violence, or that the Bohs board of management should assume the role of chief prosecutor.

But it was still a Bohs thing. Even if mindless acts of violence are not an exclusively Bohs thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

It's annoying to be talking about this after the show piece event/great crowd as I think most clubs were getting to the end of the season. I came down to the ground along the dodder everyone mixed, all good humoured and tbh had no idea of what went on a block away but it will still tarnish the league as a whole and make people think if they want to bring their family.

Bohs just need to come out by proactive and roundly condemn it, not in our name, bans to anyone identified as being involved/no place in the league etc. Same for the bangers being thrown onto the pitch. Nothing posted to their FB since the game went to et. (Edit-statement now this eve more or less saying the above. All you can do really!)

Anyway where the topic should be, congrats to pat's, probably slightly better overall but bohs did look threatening when they had their moment. Kelly was a huge loss. Great noise/colour from the pats end through the game

Post edited by overshoot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Congratulations to Pats. 4th team in the League qualifiy for Europe for at least the past 7 years.

cup winners Dundalk Cork,Cork,Dundalk, Rovers, Dundalk and now Pats. Maybe we should change it to cup finalists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Well done to St. Pats they shaded it against Bohs. Penalties are a terrible way to lose a fine but a terrific way to win one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I enjoyed the game and I don't watch a huge amount of LOI. First half was a cagey affair but it opened up in the 2nd half. Well done to Pats and commiserations to Bohs. Penos are a shockin way to decide a game but it's the best option unfortunately.

I often bring my kids to the RDS for Leinster games and they're always great days and nights out. Seeing violence like the videos floating around would certainly make me think twice about bringing them to a football game. But reading of peoples experiences in here has made me feel better, as it looks like most saw nothing untoward. I've told the kids I'll bring them to a Rovers game soon and am looking forward to it.

It’s absolutely not the norm (Bohs v Rovers a bit more of an exception but it’s not exactly the Belgrade derby either).

I think everyone probably has 1 incident they can remember which was a bit ropey, but that’s probably the case with most aspects of life if you do them for a couple of decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's definitely not the norm. These lads causing trouble are grade A tools and not genuine fans.

I've been going to Dalymount since I was a young child and tbh while there have been incidents over the years, it'd be very rare to see any hassle generally.

It's always good to get to a game and glad to hear you're going to give it a chance (even if it is rovers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Obviously I'm a bit biased as a Rovers fan, but if anyone is in Dublin, and is planning on bringing their child to their first match, Rovers is the obvious best choice.

Regularly getting crowds of over 7000 (already sold over 1000 season tickets for next season), in a modern stadium, and they play good football.

You're not selling Dalymount on anyone any more.

Tolka is not far behind it either, though I do wish both could be redeveloped.

Richmond is okay, but still not a patch on Tallaght.

In terms of fights at or around matches, only one I've personally seen was when I lived in Drumcondra, and some Cork fans came up early, got drunk, and then started throwing bottles at Shels fans. Think that was close to fifteen years ago.

Have to agree with this. Tallaght is streets ahead of Tolka and Dalymount.

Their chipper food is poor though. Dalymount AND Tolka beat the quality of a battered sausage and curry chips. In Tallaght you get a dried out husk of a sausage.

Yeah, but the nacho bowls, and hot dogs are great.

On the list for next time. I will let you know if I agree or not

• Advertisement

Dalyer has its charms but tbh the redevelopment will be welcomed, it'll help grow the club.

Also we have a pieman.

Nah I just mean bohs (as that's what I would be concerned about) , genuinely I don't think Shels will end up moving there.

Not that I don't think it makes financial sense, but I think from their perspective they obviously don't want to leave Tolka and a part of me hopes they succeed in staying.

I would like to think so but I reckon that ship has sailed already. Awful move for the club imo

I'd tend to agree. I know a few of the regulars up there and they don't want this move at all; for their own identity as a club to move in with us (as that's effectively how it would be seen) would be a backwards step.

Well all the local support is for Bohs so I just don't see what Shels get from the deal other than security of tenure. All of their supporters will need to travel to the games. Hard to know what is best as Tolka is a dump and I cannot see DCC agreeing to finance it.

A move to Coolock or somewhere like that would be an idea for them (mentioned it here before) but probably not feasible either. Both teams suffering from years of neglect unfortunately

• Advertisement

Shels to Swords was what was teased a few times, and it make so much more sense than ground sharing in Dalymount.

They have good support from Swords and Santry as is, and they just have to get one bus, get off in Drumcondra, and walk around the corner to Tolka. To get to Dalymount, they'll have to walk up through the housing estates, which isn't a long walk, but is an inconvenience they don't have now.

Would love to see Tolka saved though. Lots of good memories going there.

It'd be a decent ground in the future if the money was put into it.

As was said above, they are effectively moving into our catchment, I just don't see how they are going to grow as a club in this scenario. We are getting the better deal here tbh.

And they are a yoyo club at the moment. The league has seen an upswing in support the last couple of years but Shels won't attract too much of that playing in division 1 when the alternative is Bohs in the premier.

It will be interesting to see if they can stay up next year. A playoff can easily be lost as we have seen the last couple of years so it will be between them and Harps in 8th and 9th (imo). 8th is a great result if they can achieve it.

Even so they are unlikely to be regularly beating Dublin rivals in the near future. Losing games like that is not good for growing support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Shels have a brilliant signing in Jack Moylan, hope he reproduces his form from this year.

Conor Davis (ex Longford, Cork, Derry, UCD) is the first new Wexford signing.

Disappointed that Bray's new administration have released no further details of their plan. They really shouldn't leave their fans in the dark

With us going full time, don’t be too surprised to see us well ahead of Drogheda, Harps and UCD.

Granted, with Duff in his first senior management job there is a fair bit of the unknown to it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement