Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Sligo definitely do - is any that Johnny Kenny money still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Your missing Oats sarcasm. Think Bohs thren Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Think he got the joke. It's just the Waterford boys are a bit sensitive when it comes to being reminded about how they welcomed a convicted rapist into the club with open arms. 😆

We're still waiting for him to be cleared of all charges like that one gobsheen who used to post here kept insisting was going to happen.

I think you might have to retract or significantly edit that statement for accuracy purposes.

If he has a problem with it he can come back to Ireland and file a complaint against me in his local Garda station. Are you allowed back into the country after being deported though? 🤔

He pled guilty to sexual assault and was given a 2 year sentence (suspended obviously because this is Ireland). Nothing I've said is inaccurate and I am free to post the truth as stated in official court documents, even if he doesn't like it being talked about and goes to great lengths to have all articles related to it removed from the internet.

However, on 31 October 2014, the applicant appeared for sentence before Dublin Circuit Criminal Court on a plea of guilty to three separate charges comprising two counts of attempted defilement of a child under the age of 17 years, contrary to s. 3(2) of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006, and one count of sexual assault, contrary to s. 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990. The convictions relate to incidents that occurred on two separate dates in March 2010 involving the same injured party. The applicant was sentenced to a concurrent term of two years’ imprisonment on each of those counts, but those sentences were each suspended for a period of three years on condition of good behaviour.

I'm not surprised that you don't fully understand what you're taking about, but I think you should still take the opportunity to correct your statement because you've made a serious error there.

However I think this is an interesting debate. I don't like what happened in Scotland where senior politicians were effectively telling a football club how to run their business and who they can employ. FIFA and UEFA were leaning on our Government when Shane Ross dared to voice his opinion on how the FAI ran their business, and they'll fine the likes of Celtic if they hold up banners in support of Palestine, but they'll say nothing when the senior politicians weigh in on what players they should be allowed sign.

Bohs do a lot of good work with the likes of Mountjoy which supports the rehabilitation of prisoners, and perhaps this influenced their decision to sign this chap (who I think was a child himself at the time of the incident) the year after his conviction and keep him for three subsequent seasons. How can you get involved in prisoner rehabilitation if you don't really believe in it, and what message does it say to people if you're effectively offering them no prospect of working again?

Wasnt the objection fan based?

Club statement

https://www.raithrovers.net/52477/chairman-update-david-goodwillie.htm

Tell me what serious error I've made and I'll correct it if I am wrong. I'll also contact the judge to let him know of this new information which could turn the case on its head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Legal forum....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

In fairness to Bohs they do do a lot of work With Mountjoy.......even bringing punters on day release to their games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

This thread has really gone off topic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note.

Correct.

Take it to PM or elsewhere please.

RE: LOITV

Sligo Rovers made a profit of €32k on this last season with games behind closed doors/capped attendances.

Costs to the club for production were €19k with an income of €51k.

Figures from AGM last night.

The European income was much higher than I thought. It was €150k for taking part in Q1 but the income is listed as €295k. I guess the other €145k is a solidarity payment.

Bohs made close to €700k from Europe last season (before ticket income and costs) in that case.

Just getting through one round this summer would bring in half a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Beagslife

Could we get someone in the know from each club (even informally) to confirm what their stance on LOITV season passes are? If we can establish that clubs are not the driving force behind blocking this, it then puts some pressure back on the FAI to explain their rational!

If costs are fixed then surely any extra revenue generated is positive. Or do clubs believe that a season pass will deter substantial numbers from coming through the gates.

I think this needs to be highlighted again as a pay per view system is unlikely to survive into 2023 and that would be a backward step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think the league is over reliant on Euro money, places are limited so not everyone is getting a slice of the biggest pie the league has to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Rovers appeal over the behind closed door UCD game has been won, fans can now attend the game, club was issued a fine instead.

Common sense prevails.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A stupid decision by the FAI appealed overturned and the FAI come out of it looking even more stupid.

• Advertisement

A 5 grand fine. That'll learn em.

They've emboldened the scummers and at the same time come off as being spineless and weak. Job well done by the boys in Abbotstown as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

"Across all clubs this year we are making sure that we have a system that can stamp out the increased numbers of pyrotechnics that we saw across last year," Scanlon told RTÉ Sport at the SSE Airtricity League launch in Clarehall, Dublin.

It looks like the "scummers" (gobshìtes) have emboldened the FAI. They've given them a bit of firepower (pun) in their battle to control the experience at LOI matches (and charge more for it). The clubs will have to take down all the pictures of flares on their spam platforms and focus on marketing the mercenaries instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just reading through that and his comments on LOItv, and the season pass. To quote “The season pass would obviously discourage people from buying season tickets for their clubs”

Obvously ? Really ? I sincerely doubt that any season ticket holder is going to decide not to bother because the is a season pass for LOI tv available. It’s hardly even arguable I’d have thought, let alone obvious. If he’d said they were worried it might hit travelling support, you could see a point there, but that’s just nonsense stuff to come out with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The GAA were arguing the same thing 20 years ago and discovered that televising games only grew interest rather than people deciding not to goto games. Very poorly thought decision by the FAI but I would have been more surprised had they made a good decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

4,500 tickets sold up to yesterday for Rovers and Pats tonight, free on LOITV. Hoping for a good game.

I was at every cup final from 2015-2019 and despite the fai 'security' threre was plenry of flares (nothing compared to Polish fans in 2016 though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Well the weather put paid to that.! Impossible conditions. We were the better side overall I thought, so disappointing to lose, but still, encouraging signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Disappointing to lose on penalties but the performance for the most part was very good. E Doyle looked sharp and Breslin had a very good debut. Performance wise the only two worries was the Keeper who looked shaky and the lack of depth in centre midfield.

Was Mannus supposed to retire but changed his mind? I thought towards the end of last season I read he was retiring and then there was a rumour about Shams targeting McGinty to replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Mannus did make a good few saves in fairness to him, although probably nothing that you wouldn't expect him to save. I'd agree though that he is probably on the wane.

Pats were the better team last night overall. Rovers extremely sloppy in the first half and Pats game plan seemed to work perfectly, pressing the 3 rovers defenders and playing a high line. I was impressed with how good pats were especially considering they had 5 or 6 new faces in the starting team. I thought it would take them a couple of weeks to gel but they could hit the ground running.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A rare game were open play in the wind was more of a lottery than a penalty shoot out. Pats looked like scoring right up until they did and then faded. Rovers needed Gaffney on and Farrugia attacked well. Emakhu is great but he's not the starting striker for the league leaders yet. Two poor goals. Aside from Mannus parrying it, nobody reacted at all particularly Gary O'Neill.

Harps are once again a really interesting side this season. Can Ollie get Hery back to his best? If he can that's a massive signing. They've brought in a Spanish CB and a French midfielder who both previously played in the Slovakian top tier, so they must have a contact over there. They've also added a Turkish CB and a striker formerly known as Rey Mysterio (Filip Mihaljevic) who seems to be a decent finisher based off his highlights. They could finish anywhere depending on how they pan out.

They also had a lad named "Ronald McDonald" score against Longford today. 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It will hopefully be a good season. I think UCD aside, the rest of the league will be very competitive. Was impressed with Pats last night and Derry should do well, Bohs lost a lot but have made some good signings on paper too and Keith Long always seems to get them over performing. Sligo after signing a Canadian forward with experience in MLS and the second tier as well. I hope rovers perform in Europe this year, should be seeded for the first round in the CL so if they win that and one other tie (I think) that means they will get group stage football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I reckon Horgan's been forced into a few hail Mary signings. Mainly because of the money being spent by 3 or 4 Irish League clubs + Derry there's no more bargains to be had in the north-west and the big spenders cleared him out of his decent players this winter. Probably only UCDs budget is smaller in the PD and the likes of Galway and Waterford in the FD are playing off a bigger budget too.

I'd highly doubt Harps have a "contact" in Sligo never mind Slovakia. Agents flog players to LOI clubs every January hence how Rovers end up with players from the likes of Canada Jamica & Bermuda.

As you say they could end up anywhere but my money is very near UCD as their signings look like complete desperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Desperation seems a tad OTT now. We certainly have to look more left field with our resources but it's hardly new. While Ollie's had a few duds in his earlier days, those he has brought in over the last few years have more often than not made a good impact such as Tunde, Mustoe last year, sadiki and Ashcroft before that. He's also had great success bringing in players with a point to prove after a bad stint with Hery supposedly going very well pre season.

Happy to be taking the punts than overpaying for what locals are left and likely not up to it. Time will tell if we are fighting around UCD (and I don't think they'll be cut adrift, first half of the season at least) or higher but at least with Ollie there's going to be a fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So Bohs COO has said in an interview that he believes the Dalymount redevelopment will be completed by the end of 2025, and will proceed regardless of the fate of Tolka.

When it's all said and done though, if the current plans are used, it will be a brand new stadium that's not fit for purpose as it won't be allowed to be used in group stages for European competitions, as it won't be Category 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Ideally, it would be a cat 4 stadium, but as it needs to be a community centre as well to be a feasible project, there is no option of a cat 4 stadium with the extra requirements that would take. However, a newly built 6k seater stadium will be a massive improvement on the current situation. Facilities wise obviously, but also capacity wise, I'm worried I won't be able to renew my family ST next year as all tickets will be membership only. A lot of regular Bohs fans won't get to matches for the next few seasons already cos they can't afford ST / membership. This stadium needs to happen asap - it's already been delayed too long.

If Bohs qualify for group stages they could use the Aviva as we did to great success during our European run last year.

It's not perfect, but its much much better.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

According to wiki, a Cat 4 stadium requires 150 parking spaces for VIPs. Pretty much impossible without knocking down a bunch of houses.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

2025 is fantasy land you'd imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would bet any amount of cash that it will not be done by 2025. A more realistic date would be 2030

Think this would be a really interesting idea. If PD clubs & FD clubs could agree minimum release clause levels across the LOI it would see a significant raise in the income received from player transfers. Imagine you need some FAI backing on this to ensure rule is enforced though - punishment for clubs not sticking to agreement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Makes sense to me. But wonder is it workable since basically as Lambert himself says it would have to be done on the "honours" system so to speak. I would hope so but would equally be doubtful. Regardless as he rightly points out if we want to have the money to improve facilities and better fund academy set ups we need to find a way to improve the compensation that LOI clubs get when players transfer. The biggest problem though maybe is the very short term nature of most LOI contracts. That means when a player moves very often the only money a LOI club is getting is a small development compensation fee. If LOI clubs were somehow able to find a way to extend contracts even if the release clauses were not that big then that might enable them to more often include sell on clauses in transfers as well. If we could have more transfers with sell on clauses like the one with Matt Doherty when he moved from Wolves to Spurs that would be helpful.

It's the day before the first match of the season.

Newly promoted UCD playing away to the reigning champions Shamrock Rovers.

UCD don't appear to realise it though looking at their website: https://www.ucdsoccer.com/

Yeah agreed on the honour system, I've never seen one that works. That's why I think the FAI would have to be involved, have some punishment for clubs breaking these rules although have no idea who something like that would even work.

While Bohs were extremely lucky with Doherty, I think the better solution is getting bigger upfront fees more often rather than hoping a situation like Doherty arises again. I'd say that was a bit of a fluke (the only other player likely to do something similar who be Bazunu). But if clubs were getting €200/300k for every player that leave to UK / Europe than you very quickly get to the Doherty money over a couple of seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

do people actually look up other teams websites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Got my Shels season ticket in post, really looking forward to bringing my son to the game at Tolka tomorrow. Booked tickets for the Drogheda away game next week aswell to really get into it. Also, cant wait to get the away jersey that should have both our names on it for being season ticket holders last year.

Very exciting stuff, come on Shels.

Someone said away tickets for Rovers were €20 so I was checking if it was true.

It gets worse. Their fixtures list is from 2019.

https://www.ucdsoccer.com/airtricity-league/first-division/fixtures-a-results

Considering how many people attend UCD every year, with a little bit of smart marketing, you should be able to create lifelong fans.

Couple of pitch inspections taking place in the morning and one at the Showgrounds on Saturday morning.

I'd be surprised if the Rovers/Bohs game goes ahead. The pitch was in terrible condition against Athlone and it'll be close to unplayable after all the rain expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

UCD will never have any decent fanbase. People that reference the amount of students in UCD forget that the majority of those students are from outside Dublin and are a few 100k away when UCD are playing games at the weekend.

Regular midweek home games with a bar in the bowl might tack a few extra 100 on the attendance. But that wouldn't suit the part-timer clubs. UCD aren't all that bothered about crowds anyway, they get 100k from the college plus scholarships to sign players with a few golf events and dinners for extra funds and they do alright as a yoyo club. Funny enough as the one of the worst supported clubs they are the one LOI club that never has and never will have to worry about money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement