Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The pitch is disgraceful but at this point we're fed up complaining. Someone f**ked up big time over the winter and work that needed to be done wasn't. The club had a team in on paddy's day to redo it and now it's just a waiting game. Bit of rain and sun and it should be perfect in a month, but it's unacceptable that we'll have to play our first 5-6 home games in a sandpit. It looked like the pitch caused Keena's injury too. Hopefully he didn't hurt his ankle too bad.

The performance last night was typical of Buckley's Rovers. One week we look like there is no team in the league better than us and then we follow it up in the next game with a performance like that. I've lost count how many times it has happened under him and I'm curious if it was something that happened when he was at Pats too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

It happened in his later years with us a bit and occasionally in the season we won the cup. I can remember one particularly awful loss at home to Limerick in 2014 that pretty much knocked us out of the title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Drogheda has played all the "top" teams already this season and Sligo looked the best by quite a distance. And the game was in United Park whilst we have played Rovers, Pats and Derry away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Always thought we should have retained the title that season. Our first eleven, with the return of Keith Fahey was the best in the league I thought, but for some reason we fell short in a few vital games.

Think it took Bucko a bit too long to get the balance of the team right with regards fitting Fahey into the midfield and a center back partner for Kenny Browne. Hoare was very inexperienced and did make mistakes every now and then. We also only got one point from nine against Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

It would've been a bizarre compliment up to a few seasons ago but fair play to Harps for selling tickets at the gate, it made a last-minute trip a bit less hectic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That UCD team is very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Happy enough with a point for Drogheda up in a predictably damp Ballybofey.

Draw was a fair result although it took a super late save from Sam Long to save a point.

A draw up there is always a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

That the year you lost 4 - 1 to dundalk? At home. And rte despite it being on tv missed THAT goal. 🙄

https://youtu.be/MrPjcxnD460 (first 5 mins is enough(

Well, like I said, we fell short in some vital games. I still stand over what I said though. Not that we deserved to win the league that year, we didn’t, and Dundalk were more than worthy winners, but our best eleven was more than a match for them, and we did win the next game at Richmond against Dundalk, Christy Fagan getting the winner. We should have done better that season is my point.

• Advertisement

We were lucky that year. City were 2 points ahead going into the last game, which fortunately for us was a) against City and b) was in Oriel. But I take your point, Pats were strong and Christy Fagan was special.

Surprised to see sligo lose last night.

They seem to be very hot and cold so far this season.

We've never been consistently good at any point under Buckley that I can remember. It's frustrating because we have a talented squad who don't play to their potential too often. The effort shown against Shels was disgraceful and although last night was a bit better they were still poor. Apart from one brilliant pass from Pijnaker to put Mata through 1v1 we didn't look a threat it would have been 2 or 3 nil without McGinty.

The ref was a dope too. Stopped a goalscoring chance for Rovers by refusing to play an obvious advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Buckleys strength has always been an eye for a player going back to his Sporting Fingal days when he assembled a quality side in the First Division but he gets a bit lost when it comes to grinding out a result. We were 2-0 in up in Tallaght and he should have known they`d put Byrne on and throw the kitchen sink at us, we needed to be cynical and grind it out, instead we tried going man for man and got absolutely mauled in the 2nd half. Then in the next 2 games we get turned over by fairly poor Shels and Bohs sides in games we`d have been looking for 4 points minimum beforehand. We`ve a very soft underbelly and very little fight in us when things go south.

Ref or no ref we`d 65 mins at home against Bohs to stick the ball in the net and at least get a point and couldn`t do it. We were a goal down at half time against Shels as well. I`ve no idea what`s going on in the dressing room at half time but Buckley doesn`t seem to be able to fire players up or get a performance out of them when games need rescuing.

I think Bucko won’t give up on his philosophy of how the game is played. I admire him for it. When the quality of players dipped at Pats after a few great years he still had them trying to play the same way, but with lesser players results obviously suffered. The hardest way to play the game is to try and pass the ball constructively (in my view anyway) . It’s to Liams credit that he persists with trying to do that.

I don't want him to change that and I'd applaud him for it too. There`s no doubting we`ve quality in the squad and that's credit to Buckley but he doesn`t consistently get the maximum out of them for whatever reason. The fact it was similar at Pats where he also had a talented squad is a bit of a concern.

We cant afford another collapse like last year when we were going fairly well up until the European games and then rolled out of Europe fairly meekly and couldn`t buy a win for 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What a goal from Aaron Greene to win it at the end! Didn't watch the match so can't comment on performance, but expected Rovers to win that more comfortably after taking an early lead.

Pats v Dundalk not terrible but far from a cracker. Sheppard pulled off a few good saves. Burns was skinning lads with ease in the first half but his final ball was lacking. Young lad Murphy looked tidy for Pats but went off injured after 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

Stephen O'Donnell blanking Alan Matthews for a handshake post game.

Incredibly childish and classless. O'Donnell making a tit of himself again

Pats will never play as well again and not win. Nutsy is a terrible commenter. Macari and sheppard are real finds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Was at the game, Stephen Kenny was a few seats beside me.

first half was very poor from shels. Rovers cut them apart quite easy and while ref was more compelled to give rovers handy frees, they could of been 2 or 3 up at half time and nobody could of complained.

I thought Rovers matched shels back 5 well in first half, sometimes you actually had 5 rovers players on 5 shels backs all in the shels final third. Shels were way too deep, waiting regularly until rovers were in the shels final third before closing them down.

Second half was a different beast when shels made a few subs, they were able to match the rovers intensity and pushed back using the same higher closing down line. Equaliser really energised shels and rovers looked shaky for a few mins. Game then became tit for tat and to be fair it was anybodys game.

Rovers scored a great winner from what looked like intense pressure in midfield which led to Aodh losing possession badly.

But as a shels fan I’m really encouraged from the second half performance. When Farrell got the goal the roof nearly lifted, it was superb, easily my favourite football moment this year.

Disappointing not to win tonight. Our defence didn't give Dundalk a sniff in attack and Doyle really should have scored one of the two headers he had in the 2nd half even if their keeper did make two fantastic saves.

Yeh, he looked out of sorts. Had a great chance when a Rovers defender slipped but was too slow to take advantage. I felt he could of been taken off much sooner. Farrell was playing alongside Carr but certainly liked like he was working much harder, offers something different but also took his goal really well. I thought Boyd threw himself about more and had a bit more about him then Carr.

Shels struggle to get into games, they also seem to make bad errors in bad areas that lead to goals. One improvement is in goals, Clarke looks far more comfortable in the sticks. I’d hope they can take alot from that second half. Oh and shels, get hard studs, lots of shels players falling over , didn’t see rovers players having problems to not fall over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Unfortunately another poor enough TV game last night. Burns looks a serious talent though if he can tidy up his final ball

Bohs are such a disappointment so far , whatever about conceding late goals , the football is poor and not creating chances . Didn’t think I’d see Keith Long under so much pressure from bohs fans at this point but he does have credit in the bank .

Bohs are at a crossroads as a club though , the model is brilliant but needs a bit more to get them among the real challengers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

555y

Struggling to understand how the Sligo team I watched a few weeks back at the Brandywell conceded 2 goals at home tonight to the UCD team I saw playing us last week.

They were brutal. Why are Sligo so inconsistent?

• Advertisement

1 point from those 3 home matches against Shels, Bohs and UCD is pathetic. Should have been targeting at least 7. And it was a lucky point in the end off a punt forward by Bolger and a bad decision from the keeper to come off his line.

Something is really wrong in the team. We are constantly outfought by opponents. The midfield has no bite and goes missing far too much. Garry Buckley, who is usually brilliant, has had an awful week culminating in another error leading to UCD's second goal.

It'd be typical Rovers under Buckley if everything suddenly starts clicking again next week and they win in Oriel Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The same collapse as last season just much earlier. Seems like it’s the last season at pats for Buckley all over again. It’s his way or no way. To stubborn to change it up. Teams have it sussed against us since we won’t change it up at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Rovers probably should of been a few goals up after the first half. But they didn't capatilise, and after we scored I think we were worthy of a draw. Hard to know what you'll get with Shels week to week.

Must say Rovers support was poor, really really poor. Atmosphere great in Riverside stand, electric after we scored. Can't beat live football, the weekly ups and downs. Goals so hard to come by for us, so feel all the sweeter when we get them

Ye they won't want to join. So nationalist teams should be given choice. Belfast Celtic would still exist today had they the choice. Irish footballs biggest loss. Destroyed the game here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't think it's a religion/politics thing anymore as much as its a 7/8 European places a season across the island thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Have to agree with you about Bohemians being at a crossroads as a club in terms of the current model. The way things stand IMHO the club is at best a top half of the table team but no where near challenging for a title. I have no idea what the answer is. I support the club myself in my own way with some money each year financially but I am not blind to the fact that this really does not make any real difference and that the club has a long way to go on and off the field to be competitive at the top of the table.

No doubt that plays a role. Very unfortunate because that kind of selfish parochialsim is holding the game back in the country. It would certainly be no panacea for football in Ireland but IMHO there is no doubt we would have a much better league if we combined and had one league with say 18 teams in two divisions.

More chance of us merging with the Sri Lankan league than the North.

Truth is they've a far better run league with much better facilities and a decent pyramid structure. Their licensing system is quite robust and apparently they were shocked when they found out how much of a joke ours is. It became a big talking point when Lucid was discussing it with them.

As for 18 teams, that would be bananas. If the leagues were merging surely it would be with the aim of creating full time professional football with UEFA category 3 stadiums. 10-12 would be the sweet spot there and about the absolute maximum we could hope for at one time even with the Norides on board.

You have to allow for anomalies like 4 of our biggest cities clubs being in the second tier because they are complete basket cases. Not shoehorn them in to bring their crap to a top tier.

The likes of the Swiss have a quality league because they keep their top league elite with 10 teams with a good pyramid feeding into it.

Its all pie in the sky stuff anyway, the structures in the LOI are backwards, the facilities by and large are mediaeval after decades of under investment from the state, FAI and clubs themselves - when they are fortunate enough to have access to decent funds they by and large p1ss it away chasing the "step up".

Create a reasonable pyramid with buy in from colleges and bigger junior clubs/district leagues and actually deliver some of these academy complexes and stadiums that have been promised like the Harps new stadium, Galways training ground in Athenry and the Munster regional one in Glenmire. All of which are pretty bog standard facilities for the likes of the IRFU and GAA but the FAI can never seem to push them over the line.

Good point about having a smaller top division probably 10-12 teams with a good pyramid system underneath that. That makes sense. No question your on the money there with describing the facilities in the LOI and the overall club structures. For the most part they are a joke. The next few years will be interesting to see if any progress can be made. The fact that younger players cannot go over the Irish sea until they turn 18 now and the at least beginning's of academies at LOI clubs are positive steps as is the size of the attendances we are seeing currently. We are seeing a lot more decent young players playing in the league and hopefully this will continue and a way can be found to get players on multi year contracts so when they are sold the clubs can get better fees for them that would help as well.

Clearly there is no momentum towards having one league in the country at the moment. This is unfortunate I feel as it would really benefit football in the country overall at all levels on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The only way I could ever see the two leagues merging is if a deal was made with UEFA for both FA's to keep their own coefficients and European spots. Highest place IFA and FAI teams get European spots. Keep the cups separate with the winner getting a spot too.

Then one FA would have to bend and change the league schedule. Personally prefer ours, as it leads to far less postponed games in the worst of winter.

A lot of ifs and buts, which are unlikely to ever happen.

There seemed to be a bit of momentum a few years ago with Kieran Lucid and Niall Quinn proposing ideas for an all ireland league.

I would say it's 100% dead in the water now given the reaction by the Northern Ireland clubs to just come out and call the proposals sh1t.

If they genuinely had any intention of joining an All Ireland league they would have made some effort to discuss it and not just label it sh1t like a petulant child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Given the historical stances of both organizations I suspect that until the entire 32 counties are reunified politically there will be no All Ireland league. There's simply no incentive for it for either organization presently. Whatever about cross border competitions (such as the setanta cup) the primary domestic competitions wont change IMO before the entire island is reunified as a single nation and they'll be forced into forming a single all Ireland entity.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Get the nationalist teams down, let the unionist teams play amongst themselves and struggle. Squeeze them out if you will. Cop on and join a united league or forever struggle, while we have ties like Bohs v Cliftonville etc

Good idea in principle but most of the teams in their league are either unionist or mixed. Cliftonville is certainly a team that could come down and play in our league but not much beyond them.

• Advertisement

But it was sh1t.

Quinn was talking through his arse around then about selling LOI TV rights to African countries. He was FAI CEO after that for a while and didn't have the skills to do the job. I'm not entirely sure why Lucid got involved but it seemed to boil down to him having a few free Sundays and nothing much else to do. The man by his own admission had little to no knowledge of domestic football. Kerr lended some credibility but that was about it.

The figures he was touting were pulled out of the sky. To make the likelihood of losing the Euro spots worthwhile for the Nordies, their share of an AIL league prize money would have to start at €2-3 million. Thats some jump from where we are now. He couldn't guarantee anything and had no concrete sponsorship/TV deals on the table. Without that the whole thing was dead in the water.

Theres also the reality that right now theres a 4 team AIL cup with a very decent €150k prize fund that was supposed to be played last December but no-one can decide when to play it.

LOI sides tend to be more up for it because they tend to live on the edge and are willing to gamble their existence. Cork City for instance have backed 2 AIL proposals in the past 15 years and both times it was motivated by the fact they'd mismanaged themselves to the brink of bankruptcy and were willing to take a punt on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

The atmosphere was shìte for the majority of the game and the Shels fans played their part in that. The Riverside is perfect for atmosphere (steep, roof, dark) and they sang a small repertoire in fits and starts.

Our support was poor; the Ballybough End is not perfect for atmosphere and many of the people standing in it on Friday had no interest in opening their mouths and being supporters. In their defence, the group of young lads that "lead" our vocal support come up with a new (or borrowed) chant every few months and sing it amongst themselves, so even if the quiet members had been arsed they would've struggled with lyrics.

Cliques and quietness aside, we enjoyed ourselves.

I take your point on the figures being way off and I'm not actually debating whether it was a good report or not but it was a conversation starter and the Northern clubs didn't even want to entertain it.

If they had any genuine interest in an All Ireland league you would expect them to say we like the idea but have reservations about the financials and look to collaborate and find an answer but they completely dismissed it which is why I believe they have no interest in ever joining an All Ireland league

As someone who watches the nifl on bbc most weeks my twopence worth is their stadiums (in general) are better than ours and while the standard is lower than ours, they are more 'appreciative' of their league. The referees are as bad though.

Can you blame them? As Joeysoap said they have better grounds and they've better governance. While the standard here may be slightly higher its not huge - we're 40th in the coefficients they're 42nd. They've the disadvantage of being a third smaller than us and out of season when the European games are played.

Nothing the LOI has done in living memory makes me think an AIL would be a success.

The fact is alot of the factors needed to make an AIL a success could be implemented in the LOI but they're just not.

Imagine if this was the other way around and we had a stable well managed league with 24 senior clubs and a pyramid system. The Nordies rocked up wanting to merge their 19 clubs where a good portion of them are basket cases promising us untold riches and TV deals and sponsorships because well reasons and well clearly Sky will throw money at it because again reasons. I'd imagine we'd be skeptical too.

You seem to think I'm disagreeing with you but I'm not. I'm more bemused people have started talking about an All Ireland league again here when there is no appetite for it in the North and they made that very clear recently.

Maybe I'm biased because I was in the Riverside stand but thought Shels sang for the 90 minutes, and after the goal was electric until we conceded. But it can seem that way when your in the middle. You had better view from a distance of our fans. Thought our fans were poor v Bohs but apparently they were good, wind took the sound away from far end of Des Kelly stand.

Ye about 15 teenagers singing in away end against us, no one seemed to join in. I got the impression Rovers fans would have been better without them there, seemed more like kids in people's ears annoying them.

An uncharacteristic mistake from McGinty to gift Dundalk the lead tonight after starting the game quite well. Nothing is going our way at the minute.

Get in shels. Only saw some of the first half and had to head out so missed the 2nd.

• Advertisement

Very unexpected result at the Brandywell. Pats had a couple of good chances in the first half in Tallaght, but didn’t do nearly enough after falling behind. Didn’t think Rovers were as dominant as Shane Robinson was saying on LOI tv though. Just 3 points between third and eighth position now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement