Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

That's a bit harsh.

Usually, the team with the biggest budget wins the league. My team, Drogheda, won it once in 2007. Guess who had the biggest budget that year?

Drogheda has the second lowest budget in the league this season. That's why finishing third last will be a success for us (if we do it).

Bradley has won a lot with Rovers and developed a really good team who play good football. If they had a goalscorer, I think they'd be streets ahead of anyone else.

If Derry win the league this season, will Ruaidhri Higgins be a fraud because of the investment in the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I know it’s hard to take sometimes and a bit depressing but a decent league 1 gig is a big step up for anyone on our league .

Money , facilities , players , crowds , career progression, and an FA that actually have an interest in football in their country . We are a backwater compared to league 1 on a massive English football ladder .

Yes the lower league clubs have their issues but he’s be foolish not to want to try

The average attendance is 10000 and the bigger clubs would be 25-30. The average wage would be around what our top few players earn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

As a follower of LOI since 1983, there's a lot of delusion in LOI circles, and I'd include myself in that up until about 15 years ago.

Jamie McGrath left the Scottish PL to go to a L1 side (one, I accept, that have finished as champions).

It's a league with a lot more profile that our league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He has been winning the league by default the past few seasons after the collapse of both Cork and Dundalk. Before that he couldn't even crack a top 2 that included John Caulfield. His football is average at best and I have many questions over his tactical adaptability from what I've seen over the past 5 years. How many times have they played like dirt only to win by brute strength due to the individual talent within the squad? Call it "the sign of champions" or whatever nonsense phrases people throw about, but it's the exact same way Neil Lennon was successful at Celtic. There's very little ability involved outside of being able to motivate a side and that won't cut it at a team like Lincoln.

Pat Fenlon benefitted the exact same way after Shels and Drogs collapsed. Bohs filled that vacuum and had 2 years virtually unchallenged at the top before he went to Hibs and was found out. Wasn't his Hibs side destroyed 10-0 in Europe at one point?

Speaking of Europe, Shams have done nothing there under him because that is a level beyond his ability. His team was hockeyed by an Estonian butter producer last summer.

If he goes I honestly think Shams will be better for it in the long run. It'll sting short-term if he takes the staff and a few players but, given the backing they have, if they get in a proper coach they can push on to a level Bradley would never have taken them to.

FWIW I think Higgins is a much better coach and will improve even more with experience. They'll probably win the league this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

While Lincoln were near the bottom this year, weren't they in the playoffs last year? Flicking through their history their current position seems more realistic but I'm not sure if someone is putting in money or they're just been well run right now.

If they really have playoff potential... I don't think Bradley (or any LOI manager) is going to get a better offer to go across. Like Paul Cook, he might be able to do sideways steps to teams with greater potential.

I'm not convinced by him, but he is still young and has improved a lot since he took over shams and kept writing other teams motivation speeches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

As others have said, League 1 is a huge step up.

Realistically, LOI level is the lower half of League 2. Sure our clubs can get some good results in Europe at times, but overall, the league is a shambles. First division never even know how many teams, or what the teams will be until right before the season starts. Teams going belly up, and having to be rescued constantly. More often than not, shite facilities, with an even worse FA.

If offered the job, he'd be mad not to take it, and as a Rovers fan I'll thank him for all he's done and wish him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Was it ok at Dundalk? That’s basically what Delaney did.afaik the only comp. got was for Higgins (and the FAI only agreed reluctantly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It has a far more stable fanbase too - all 24 L1 teams have a higher average attendance than the LOI average. Lincoln averaged 8k+ even though they spent the season playing for nothing. A team with that kind of consistent attendance would dominate the league here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

And they pay more for a ticket (£24 v €20/€17 general admission) for more games (23 home league games v 18) as well.

Wage bill of £5m, which is a clear step-up from Rovers.

• Advertisement

I remember the term "a coaching backwater" being used to describe the LOI by a Scottish journalist after SPL clubs had sacked Kenny and Fenlon. There aren`t any particularly outstanding managers in the league right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Looks like the Save Tolka Park campaign has been successful which is an excellent way to start off any Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Not only that, but DCC CEO recommending that Tolka & Richmond, along with Dalymount to be redeveloped. Huge news if this goes ahead.

Program on C5 last night about a police station and right behind the police station..........Lincoln Citys ground. 😊

Won't take them long to arrive and place him in custody for impersonating a football coach then 👍️

😂

Bit harsh though. Never afraid to play youngsters.

Good news about Tolka and Richmond.

Where does the cash come from to redevelop all 3 though?

Even to put just 2 main stands in Tolka and Richmond is going to be north of €20 million with a low enough spec.

Dalymount was projected to cost €35 million+ for a 6,000 seater stadium. Presumably this will be scaled back again seeing as its not a ground share anymore.

If it's scaled back any more, they'll be reducing capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So he has turned down slogging around for a draw at Cambridge, Morecambe and Gillingham for Europe, trophies and Tallaght.

Great news that he's not going in the short term. But it should alarm the Rovers board to prepare for the eventuality. Maybe at the end of the season..

As for resources and the millions. One look at the likes of Wycombe, Gillingham, Bristol Rovers and Accrington and you wonder where all the millions go. Awful places to watch a match. At least there is a roof in Drogheda for away fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Terms and Conditions must have been improved considerably...The lads on here and in Dalymount that like having a cut at Bradser and his cup finals must have held a whip around for Rovers to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

One look at the likes of Wycombe, Gillingham, Bristol Rovers and Accrington and you wonder where all the millions go. Awful places to watch a match.

A quick Google of the images of their grounds shows them to be way ahead of LOI grounds. This post is an example the LOI delusion I referred to earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

second that. I don’t think Louth cc realise that there are 2 premier teams in the county.( or don’t care). They even billed Dundalk with substantial rates (when they had the opportunity)

Couldn't agree more. Absolute delusion to suggest that facilities wise, league one is not streets ahead of LOI.

Surprised Bradley is staying. Will be hard pushed to get another opportunity like this where he's coming in with full pre-season, able to shape his squad etc. I'm sure they may be other opportunities but they probably going to be coming into someone else mess & trying to deal with that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Things change very quickly in football these days and I think you should strike when the iron is hot and you are wanted , make that move . In 6 months he could have had a terrible run and nobody even looks in his direction from England .

Kind of happened with players too here like Duffy , Mandriou etc

Geoergie Kelly is a good example , when your on a high in this league it’s usually a short window of opportunity you have to jump .

I think Bradley might regret this one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Absolutely. A quick comparison - Adams Park (Wycombe) or Finn Park?

Priestfield Stadium (Gillingham) or Oriel Park?

Spot the two awful places to watch football out of that lot.

And obviously there's nothing to remotely compare with, say, Fratton Park, the Valley, The Stadium of Light or Hillsborough.

But he's made the decision to stay. I think it's a missed chance to push himself some more, but his call and best of luck to him with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Dalymount and Tolka will cost a few bob alright but it will be great to see it.

But Richmond Park has a problem that the two above don't, ownership. Although the company that operates St Pat's owns the ground every blade of grass in the place is mortgaged to the tune of €26.4m through the parent company. As the ground is the only real asset in the company, the bank will have to be sorted in some shape or form.

IIRC, it cost DCC c. €5m to pay off the banks for Dalymount, which was near enough the balance sheet amounts. So, it'll be interesting alright.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If they've 25 million for a rafting centre they can do up all three no bother.

Ironic if they appointed ian foster

Tallagh might well be the best ground in the country - but its not theirs. Do lincoln own theirs? Plenty of money anyway.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2022/05/six-figure-investment-into-stadium-and-training-ground-for-lincoln-city/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

As a by the way, I was always of the view that the rafting centre would not happen.

The original plans for Dalymount were in the order of €20m. AFAIK, they may have been scaled back. Then how much for Tolka? From what I hear Shelbourne are to fund/part fund the redevelopment. Maybe someone might be able to clarify. Then agree some payment for Richmond to get the keys. Can't see DCC putting millions into to a property they don't own.

Read some where that Sligo Rovers are to upgrade the floodlights, replace the four old pylons with two new ones. At a price of €.25m. Can't recall if that's the price for one or two pylons. I believe they are being grant aided.

Won't be long spending €25m, given rising construction costs, labour costs, etc. And then the ongoing maintenance costs.

Just have difficulty in seeing DCC doing the three grounds given everything else that's happening in the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Shameful how the Louth CC behaved really in selling the land to the GAA and ignoring the obvious sense that a ground share would make in Dundalk for a new county stadium shared by the GAA and at least Dundalk. Or at least working with Dundalk to find an alternative such as maybe at the DkIT grounds.

Post edited by eire4 on

An absolute disgrace what happened there. Groundshare between Dundalk FC & Louth GAA was such an obvious solution. Instead, they are building a 14,00 capacity stadium for Louth GAA to be knocked out in the first round of the All Ireland every year in front of 2,000 fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Very happy Bradley is staying but I am surprised and do wonder is he something he will regret in the long term. If Rovers were to have an off day in Europe again and end up not winning the league this season will go down as a huge failure and his stock will have lowered. If he goes on a successful European run and were to get group stage football, how much does he stock increase?

But he obviously loves the club and has a vision of where they can go. You have to admire him for that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's not so much the money with DCC, they've plenty of it. They are just utterly uttetly incompetent as an organisation. At least I hope it's just incompetence as I find it hard to believe that that level of stupidity is possible.

Bucko's days in Sligo have to be numbered after this performance. Worst I've seen Rovers play in quite some time.

Bizarre team selection and woeful tactics tonight. We're going nowhere under him.

Think they`ll more try to reduce the spec. There was all sorts in the original plan with a library, concourse centre, rotating the lay out so where the Jodi is would be the goal end.....Hard to justify a lot of that now when it`s just Bohs playing in it every 2nd weekend and 3 stadiums need to be redeveloped

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

Dundalk is a basket case, a so called football town with little or no (public) lobby and in my opinion a very low support level for its catchment area. What are the average attendances at Oriel ... 2.5 - 3K?, way too low for a club who have had the success they have had recently. A number of current and past TDs and senators connect themselves with the club privately, however very seldom if ever do you hear them pushing publically for anything funding wise for the club.

Politicians in Louth couldnt care less what happens to DFC nor the LOI as it is a case of professional sport with a low support levels against the poor GAA that lives off the mass community and its donations. Louth GAAs Chairman is a TD, sat on the Committee for Transport, Tourism and Sport during his time as a FG TD, having made comments about abortion he walked very quietly to be elected in 2020 as an indepentant... best lobbiest (maybe also a dirty deal) they could get.....

Additionally, some of the very politicians who helped pile the pressure on JD not so long ago, are from Louth. Never have I heard them push for funding nor publically supporting DFC in public. Hanging JD out however was good for their parties and got them into the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Come on shels, see this out. Good performance, wonder if Duff being in stands actually helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hopefully, shouldn’t have even been around this season after the disaster of a finish last year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

94th minute winner for City against 10 men Athlone. Another important win keeps up top.

I don’t know how Dundalk are in the top four (so far anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

I see the peak6 fella who used to post this shite about Fitzpatrick is back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Draw a fair result at the Brandywell tonight.

We didnt play like a team at the top of the table, and were unrecognisable to the team that destroyed Pats last week. And it took a cheap pen for us to get our equaliser.

Was impressed by Bohs, they must be a real hot and cold team this season as I have read often that they have been rubbish in games.

Great evening to be a Rovers fan. Bradley staying, first signs of constriction about to begin on the 4th stand, and a brilliant performance to go with the 3 points. Rovers played some lovely stuff in both halves and could have easily had another 3 or 4 goals but a combination of McGinley saves, blocks and bad luck with finishes kept the score respectable.

Incredible to think of the depth we have in the squad, used all 5 subs early tonight and lads like Finn, O'Neill, Farrugia and Watts still weren't used. Don't want to get carried away after a home win against Harps but feeling very optimistic about the rest of the season.

If you get a chance to see the goals, both of Mandrious had some lovely play/passes in the build up.

Ferris,

Regarding the fourth stand, there looked like plenty of free seats tonight. I appreciate that Harps mightn't bring the largest of away support but is it needed?

It depends how you would define needed. Will we sell it out regularly? No. But it would be full a few times a season you would imagine. As seen with the construction of the south stand, build it and they will come. Can't remember the exact plans but fairly sure it will have a bar, shop and office in the stand too. Tallaght will be a lovely ground when it's complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Fair play to the council for building it

What would the capacity be Ferris?

• Advertisement

Roughly 10,000. Though for some reason some seats in the first few rows in the South Stand are always covered. No idea if they'll do the same in the North Stand, or why it's done at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement