Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Rovers would want to enjoy watching Lyons while they can. It's not a case of if another club comes in for him, it's when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Great performance in the first half by Rovers, we had them on the ropes and despite the 0-3 loss in the first leg looked like we might stage an almighty comeback. Second half was ruined by Ludogorets play acting, I would love to see the stats for how long the ball was actually in play, I would say 15-20 mins the second half. It was appalling and would turn you off watching football.

Some eejits then decided to lob bottles at the goalkeeper and one fan even entered the pitch to approach their keeper. Gobshites. One of their players did throw at least two full bottles back into the crowd too which was not on and made the situation worse.

Not arguing that Ludogorets didn't deserve to go through, but jesus I would love to see them get obliterated against Zagreb. Horrible team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Brilliant by Rovers, we could have got the 3 goals back in the first 30 minutes alone. They really tried to kill the game by dropping like flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Anyone got a replay of the Towell incident. I was sat just behind the goal line in the main stand, and it looked a clear push in the back for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Why would he have dived, he was clean through. Only criticism I can make is we didn’t make the best of corners and frees, no excuse for over hitting corners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Looked as if he was waiting for a touch to go down, he got the nudge alright but not enough to give a penalty.Rovers did very well in fairness, did the league proud, all the best to Pats and Sligo now, it would be great to get three teams through....and Bohs to get another friendly in der Deutshland !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Why wouldn't you want a relationship with a Bundesliga club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I thought the constant issues/allegations of racism, nazism and anti-semitism they seem to face and the inaction taken by the club and their president to deal with it would be off-putting for the Irish St Pauli. I suppose you both do have some things in common though, such as when both sides were caught flouting COVID restrictions during lockdown.

There was a fairly compelling investigation last year that showed their youth coaches to be incredibly racist towards minorities from Arab/Turkish backgrounds to the point that scouts/agents were telling families that they shouldn't send their kid with a foreign sounding name to the Union academy as he will be discriminated against.

They seem to have built this image for themselves outside Germany as a left wing cult club because most of the negativity surrounding them never reaches the English newsfeeds, and it's far easier for some DW Sports intern to write a feel-good story about the already establish reputation they have overseas as the "St Pauli of the East" rather than write about the many concerning aspects of the club.

I'm not saying they're as bad as Chemnitz or anything, they just have a lot of issues and the club's efforts to deal with them has been lackluster. So I'm confused why a club trying to develop the image Bohs are trying to would get involved with them to this extent.

I believe McCourt had 18 months to run on his contract, so if Russell wasn't going to use him then not only getting rid of the contract but also getting a small fee for him is a very good deal for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be fair, that lad involved with Bohs is purely about the optics, so if that stuff isn’t being heard over here, you wouldn’t expect him to care about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Is he any good? Suspect Bone will get a regular place and mc court wll be a back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hopefully a sign that Connolly might join us now.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Simon Power to Rovers too, remember he was lighning quick from his time with Ireland u21s. We're obviously looking to add some pace. Just saw that Dan Cleary has left St.Johnstone too.. Surely Rovers or Dundalk will be looking to get him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Dundalk have officially given up on Connolly. Though they have signed another player on loan-

We are delighted to announce the signing of Norwegian winger Runar Hauge from Hibernian on a loan deal until the end of the season.

Just saw this

However, Dundalk are set to land English midfielder Alfie Lewis from Plymouth. He joined Plymouth from St Patrick's Athletic in January, but was unable to force his way into their side and has opted for a reunion with Stephen O'Donnell instead of a return to Inchicore and other options.

O’Donnell also confirmed that McCourt’s arrival signalled the end of Dundalk’s bid to try and bring Mark Connolly back.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

James Clarke from Drogheda to Bohs.

For a fee.

Strange one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Daly mount never going to happen. Anyone suprised? Nah didn’t think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Im a fan of Bone, he is well capable of replacing Connolly.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The press have taken a very negative view of the release. We're most likely scrapping the previous plan (rotating the pitch, completely new stadium, hybrid grass etc). Instead likely to demolish the current stands (excepting perhaps the Jodi) and rebuild/refurbish one at a time for a much lower price. I was never a fan of the whole rearrange the pitch plan anyway so I'm pretty positive about it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Exactly, every bohs fan I spoke on is delighted with this news.

Keeping the soul of stadium ✅️

the bars stay ✅️

Terraces ✅️

Grass pitch ✅️

Increased capacity closer to 10K ✅️

No Shels ✅️

The dream scenario 😍 ✅️✅️

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

Except we all know none of it will happen.

The equilant of the Cork Limerick Motorway.

It's a better plan for the stadium in fairness for the reasons sidcon said above, but you'd wonder how many more times it will be kicked down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Who's paying for this? Is it the club, FAI or the City Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Short answer, the taxpayer, rate payer, in some shape or form. Who else?

Main difference being the Limerick /Cork motorway will be built someday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I've been listening to Dalymount being redeveloped for as long as I've been following LOI. The plans of rotating the pitch and all that were bananas when the cost and effort were only going to deliver a 6,000 seater capacity.

They need to just build a cost effective low spec stand on the connaught side and give the Jodi a face-lift. That alone would leave it around the 6,000 seater mark. That's surely doable for around €30 million?

Best of luck to Sligo and Pats tonight.

Would be great to see them progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

• Advertisement

Mark Connolly confirmed for Derry.

Matty Smith leaving? Rumours at present

Post edited by NIMAN on

What a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's some start, fair play to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Rovers have been comfortable for the most part here. Motherwell are a limited side. Only pressure has came when we've dropped off them. If we go at them second half there's another goal or two in this for us.

Shows there is no reason to fear most teams in Europe, outside of the big guns.

The standard gas really dropped over the years, and have a go and you'll give most teams a game.

• Advertisement

A 2-0 aggregate lead and they look comfortable and still chasing another. The Scottish premier is way worse than I thought. If Sligo go through where would you imagine they play their next home fixture?

Limited is too kind a word, they were utterly septic. If Sligo can keep their heads here they shouldn't have any trouble holding on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Pats doing really well in Slovenia. Lots of the ball and Barry Cotter missed a total sitter with a free header form the six yard line. Mura then went down the other end and had a one on one with the keeper, which Anyang did well to save. Mura also had a penalty shout earlier in the half, but we are well in this. Hope Cotters miss doesn’t come back to haunt us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sparta Prague were knocked out by Viking Stavanger. So, on paper at least, Sligo potentially have an easier tie in the next round should they hold on for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Extra man for pats - mura red card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Hon da Bit o'Red 😀

Motherwell have won 1 out of their last 15 European games. On the otherhand Rangers made the final of the Europa League last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

A great chance for Pats here. Just need to find our shooting boots. Will be kicking ourselves if we let this one get away.

Obviously outside of the top 3.

Savage result from a well coached and confident team. Great run for the Shligo faithful. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Brilliant sligo.

But just can't believe how bad the 5th team in the spl was. Created nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Motherwell are rubbish.

But most of the scottish pub league is outside of the main 5 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well done Sligo, great win. Hopefully Pat's can nick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Doyle probably wants to punch his teammate for not squaring the ball just now

Motherwell were 5th.

I'd say outside of the big 2.

Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen aren't good sides any more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement