Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Credit to the Djurgarden fans, they still know how to support their team away in Europe. They brought huge support to Dublin in 2002 and sang pretty much nonstop throughout the game. Same mentality last night, with a good range of chants.

The Garda presence at their pub on Clanbrassil Street was ridiculous; it must be nice to get paid for standing around with dozens of your mates, watching a bunch of Swedish football fans drinking beer.

"Credit" to our current squad for playing the opening match of a group stage without trying to blackmail the club before kickoff, which is more than the "Heroes of Belgrade" could manage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Looks like Derry Bohs will be the only professional football match played in the UK this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Derry is the only word in the English language where the first 6 letters are silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

great goal from Michael Duffy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

10 man Waterford equalise in 90th minute but a 95th minute penalty gives City another 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Sligo win 2-0. Lost count of the amount of goals we've given away from trying to play out from the back.

We played some nice stuff at times and had the better of the early exchanges but fairly toothless up front. Everything off target, can't remember the Sligo keeper making a save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Great win from Pats. UCD beating Dundalk was a great bonus. All we needed was Bohs to nick a draw to make it a perfect night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Disgraceful behaviour from the rovers fans last night.

I'd say I'm shocked, but I'm not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

After that win at Tolka and UCD winning we'd be 6 points off Dundalk with a game in hand and a game left against them if not for the "admin error". I'll feel sick if we end up missing Europe because of that 6 point swing.

I'll be surprised if we hold onto Keena beyond January. He's too good for the LOI.

Absolutely. Was sitting right behind him, thought it was flying well out of play but some amount of dip in it. Best goal I've seen there in quite a few years.

Hopefully Ciaran Coll is OK. Looked a very serious fall and his non movement for 10min was worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

It looks like we (Drogheda) should have enough points on the board to be safe because our performances lately have been very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Twas over a month ago. Cupla lunatics on our forum claiming we still had a chance before tonight if won all our games. We've 5 points from 15 ffs. Sooner JC is out the better. Thankfully the tide is turning very much against him amongst most sane fans. We'll be embarrassed/capitulate in the playoffs again and hopefully the board will sack him or someone will tell them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk were ‘gifted’ 3 points by the fai and promptly **** them up against the wall. Don’t deserve top 3. Haven’t replaced Mark Connolly. Pats played well with 10 men and deserved their win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Oh I'm fine. Nothing new I guess in Rovers fans embarrassing themselves and the league with their behaviour.

I don’t support Rovers and I’m not embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Football fans with an edgy chant. What a shocker. Won't someone think of the children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep I'd be all for it. At this stage I think anyone would do a better job than he is doing and has done all season. We had lots of chances we didn't take but along with that all we did was lump and it's the same week in, week out. No tactics bar lump it or a set piece and our set pieces are woeful to top it off.

It was pretty bad (and petty). I know it was only a small section.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Minor issue imo. The more chants at games the better. I have heard chants about queens at every Ireland game for years and no one cared.

You go to most country who have been oppressed and colonised, you will find that sentiment towards the oppressors. I get that many people don’t like to see it, but it’s an inevitable reaction from many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

I really expected Drogheda to put it up to Pats big t8me last night after the sending off, but it was surprisingly comfortable for Pats. Daragh Markey still a lovely player on the ball, but he lacks an end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Listening to cobh manager Shane Keegan calling Spurs we on the radio is all kind of wrong really .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

To be fair there isn't a bigger league of Ireland man out there. When he isn't managing in the league he is a great advocate for the league in the media

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Agree completely with this. It is annoying how the media sensationalise every perceived indiscretion by LOI fans. Rovers should have backed up their fans or at worst said nothing. Clubs need to have more respect for those who pay to see their team (obviously if they are tearing up the place that is a different story). I doubt the British royal family felt victimised or bullied by a few lads in Tallaght singing a humorous song.

Did Rovers come out and say something? They absolutely shouldn’t have, neither positive nor negative. There were similar chants in Tolka and probably other grounds last night. The world will survive this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Yeah rovers released a statement. Its against their values apparently

https://www.shamrockrovers.ie/2022/09/09/club-statement/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

hahaha

Never release any statements when their "small minority" damage away sections or assault opposition fans but they release one for the queen because the clip got a bit of publicity outside LOI circles. Simps.

• Advertisement

Indeed, Rovers have a problem with their "small minority". One wonders how small it actually is and how much of a problem the club really think it is.

Given that there was absolutely nothing discriminatory or racist about the chant (they have Mannus in goal and love him like), I would be fuming about this statement if I was a Rovers fan.

Some fans sang same chant at the Brandywell last night.

I hope we won't be issuing an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Nobody in the stand batted an eyelid at that chant, it wasn't edgy or clever enough to give a shìt about (a bit like yer one), and if we didn't live in a world where people spy on their fellow fans for a bit of attention from twats who live on the internet, nobody else would give a shìt either.

There was only one embarrassing chant on Thursday and it came at the end of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Why do we let ourselves down so badly?

There were much better songs that could have been sung to express our point.

English monarchs don't die often, but yet that is our response. I expected better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭RamonD3

I remember ding dong the witch is dead being chanted after Thatcher died, don't recall an apology that time, nor should there have been one here. In bad taste but harmless and inaudible from my seat anyway so wouldn't have made any traction if the lad hadn't filmed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't think any Irish people should pay any respect to a foreign queen. At the same time, we shouldn't disrespect her. If English people want go above and beyond, let them work away.

Is there that much of a need to police the public sentiment though? It’s normal that a section of the public will feel this way given the country’s history? It’s also normal and valid that another section will feel completely differently.

I think Irish people should be able to express themselves whatever way they see fit as long as they are not hurting anyone. Shamrock Rovers FC do not seem to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RedCardKid

If I am honest, I honestly do not understand the whole Queen debate, in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s yes but have we not moved on?? Gave my wee lad a clip around the ear Friday night as he started spouting sh1te in the car about what himself and his mates (12-15 years old) were planning to sing. Pulled them all to one side and asked them to name where some of our LOI players and indeed club owners come from .... Northern Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Canada, New Zealand ....... explained it was not about us respecting the Queen, but about respecting those players or persons who may see her as being a loss to their lives. The lads went from being wee hard men to children very quickly and one indeed offered his condolences to one player who found it to be very kind gesture.

We may not have a link to the crown and believe me, I grew up hating them and what they stood for, however times have moved on and we should at least be able stand above it. Why not show our respect to the players who seen her as their Queen, some of who we all see as heros at our clubs.

• Advertisement

No chance. Not from the Derry part anyway.

a few years ago on holiday we met another couple ( as you do)it was

’Different’ to hear them refer to Derry as Londonderry.

They weren't from Derry I'd say. 99% of protestants I've met from the city call it Derry.

Thanks for the moral lecture. Extremely touching.

County Derry, I think. The BBC usually calls it by both names. ( But Derry Girls changed everything). I’m going to drop it now. This is a football forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Based on last nights performance you'd have to think that Harps look doomed to finish bottom. In fairness to them they were game & kept going until the end so it wasn't a lack of effort, and scored a cracking goal too it has to be said, but Rovers never got out of second gear & could have scored another 3 or 4 easily... will be a shame as I have huge respect for Harps and their fanbase and would love to see them stay up, but just cant see it based on last night.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

For a time they looked like they were improving as a team, they'd often play us in the derby and be the better team, playing the better football.

But they seem to have regressed this season for whatever reason. They did lose a lot of their better players, but the last time they won in the Brandywell they played us off the park with McWoods and Mihaljevic torturing our defence. So always surprised not to see them picking up more points in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

We've been very unlucky with injuries this year, Webster is a huge loss to defence, connelly and nzeyi were both out for a long spell.

That ripped the hear of the team and we've just been dodgy at the back since. When just leaves the team with no confidence

Then others just didn't perform this year, mcginley made a lot of mistakes and didn't stay to fight for his place when mckeown came in, rainey no where near as good as last year. McNamee is coming back to his better form now.

Earlier in the year I'd have said no chance in a playoff, do feel more hope for it now (if we can get our noses ahead of ucd again)

On the upside, life at the stadium (even if it is just a bit of clearance)

I don't get the issue with the chant, it's factual information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Poor defending from Rovers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Terrible start to the game. Feel it could be another tonking as it was against Ferencvaros. Such a difference between our home and away form in Europe this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement